• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get a fucking grip man, not a single job has been lost from this vote. And we're a country with a land border with fucking no-one. "less safe", please.

The remain campaigners really did a number on some people jesus.

Oh? Did I and all the other ecologists I work with and employ not lose our jobs after all? Am I imagining this? Well, if you say so, I guess I must have been mistaken. The environment sector has nothing to worry about after all. Clueless Leave voters say so, and they never spew lies.

Not a single job was lost, and this campaign was won without a single shot being fired, right?

No wonder Frankfurt is secretly celebrating brexit. State bonds are already showing that investors think germany is the biggest safe haven in europe. Probably going to see a lot of international companies prefering the stability of germany instead of the UK

It's quite remarkable that not small anti-Germany sentiments were part of the Brexit movement.

yup, businesses don't like instability,but negotiations can't start if Article 50 hasn't invoked?

Waiting will only hurt UK, because people don't like to invest in countries with uncertain future.

You're right. Absolutely everything is the same or better.

Given that my country has voted to leave the EU, I'd really like to see some reasonable commentary from the people who have decided on this course to make me feel that we haven't just made the mother of all mistakes. Instead I get to see wall to wall comments from:

Flat out racists and xenophobes
Idiots who are wondering what they hell they've voted for after the fact
Politicians like Farage changing their pitch two seconds after the victory was confirmed
Fools like you who think that nothing bad will or has happened despite all reality

Wake up. You've taken an enormous risk with millions of people's lives, you have no idea what you've voted for or who you've voted for, you've destroyed a union of nations that has essentially existed for 400 years and officially for over 300 years. God only knows what is going to happen to Northern Ireland, and areas like Gibraltar. The constant "oh, stop exaggerating, everything's fine" just shows everyone how oblivious you, and other Leave voters are. I'm starting to relish how shocked the people who voted for this will be when we end up being ruled by a government significantly more right wing and significantly less regulated than the one we've got rigt now. The sodding naivety of it all.

Cameron & co spent millions and millions of pounds campaigning to sway me into voting remain, nothing they said, did or otherwise could convince me, so, I fell back onto what David Cameron, Blair, Major and chums has done to me over the years. the right thing to do? revenge?

My life, my families lives and the friends of my families lives have been subject to Camerons lies and cuts, cuts, cuts for 5 years, almost destroying them as human beings.

Nothing from which leaving the EU will ever come even close to what ive seen friends and families go through.

Coming from a working class background and being on this planet for the majority of the EU membership I see nothing that has benefited me personally and tbh i see thats how many people voted, not through blind racist views, not through hate of the Tories. Just simply a gamble that could get no worse for the working class. Most have seen rock bottom, ive been one of the fortunate ones and it ceratinly wasnt down to EU law.

Lime

1oComCX.jpg

If only Brits had more black people this wouldn't be such a catastrophe

White people fucking it up for everyone because of their racism

Tak3n

Banned
'If you've got money, you vote in ... if you haven't got money, you vote out'
Brexit is about more than the EU: it’s about class, inequality, and voters feeling excluded from politics. So how do we even begin to put Britain the right way up?
Brexit is the consequence of the economic bargain struck in the early 1980s, whereby we waved goodbye to the security and certainties of the postwar settlement, and were given instead an economic model that has just about served the most populous parts of the country, while leaving too much of the rest to anxiously decline. Look at the map of those results, and that huge island of “in” voting in London and the south-east; or those jaw-dropping vote-shares for remain in the centre of the capital: 69% in Tory Kensington and Chelsea; 75% in Camden; 78% in Hackney, contrasted with comparable shares for leave in such places as Great Yarmouth (71%), Castle Point in Essex (73%), and Redcar and Cleveland (66%). Here is a country so imbalanced it has effectively fallen over.

a lot more at http://www.theguardian.com/politics...ain-brexit-money-class-inequality-westminster

aeolist

Banned
Cameron & co spent millions and millions of pounds campaigning to sway me into voting remain, nothing they said, did or otherwise could convince me, so, I fell back onto what David Cameron, Blair, Major and chums has done to me over the years. the right thing to do? revenge?

My life, my families lives and the friends of my families lives have been subject to Camerons lies and cuts, cuts, cuts for 5 years, almost destroying them as human beings.

Nothing from which leaving the EU will ever come even close to what ive seen friends and families go through.

Coming from a working class background and being on this planet for the majority of the EU membership I see nothing that has benefited me personally and tbh i see thats how many people voted, not through blind racist views, not through hate of the Tories. Just simply a gamble that could get no worse for the working class. Most have seen rock bottom, ive been one of the fortunate ones and it ceratinly wasnt down to EU law.

you and your people are going to find out over the next few years that rock bottom really wasn't.

sincerely, good luck. you're going to need it.

Kathian

Banned
yup, businesses don't like instability,but negotiations can't start if Article 50 hasn't invoked?

Article 50 invokes negotiations. Thats the point. You can't negotiate until it's invoked. Every day we wait Britains position will weaker and I think we'll enter whilst shallow - a long period of recession.

PJV3

I didn't realise that Scottish Labour are considering supporting the new referendum. Good stuff really, even if they're not what they once were power wise.

JP_

Banned
It's not a vote specifically against the Tories, it's a vote against the political establishment and continued ignorance of real, working peoples issues.

People want change. They were never going to get that with a remain vote.

What does the EU have to do with UK establishment? Isn't that what the GE is for?

kmag

So how likely is it now that Scotland votes to leave? If they do leave how bad do you guys think that would that be for the rest of the UK?
Put it this way you've got the Scottish Tory press pack like Alex massie saying there should be a new ref and they'd have to think hard about how they voted

Sasie

The UK deserves such a shit deal that it makes no-one want to leave. Not even close to Norway's, and no returning. Frankly we in the rest of EU is tired of UK and their tactics to hold the union "hostage"

This will just cause resentment from both sides and lead the kinds of situations the EU was created to prevent. If we want stability and peace in Europe the EU should work towards having the best relationship possible with the UK government/people. Even if they are not inside the EU. Same goes for every democratic country out there.

You don't create peace with a "us vs them" mentality.

The sad thing seems to be that they have simply been played by a competing group of sneering elitists.

Not really. Lots of the leave voters are disaffected working class people who would have been considered left wing Labour voters.
They feel abandoned by Labour as it has aligned itself more with the City and with the middle class lefties
They almost certainly dislike Gove and Johnson but have found a cause that will give a bloody nose to the establishment.
I've yet to talk to anyone of any political stripe who thinks favourably of Farage.

It's not a zero-sum game, the EU does not benefit from UK being in a worse recession or the financial sector having to spend a ton of money to relocate, it's in the EU's best interest to ensure that economically the region is stable. Bureaucrats will compromise, because that's what they always do, and the EU is full of nothing but bureaucrats.

How is it a zerosum when a country like germany or france will gain more tax revenue, more people in jobs and more influence on the world economy? UK in a recession does not matter for EU that much anymore. Its a third country

JP_

Banned

609692-53527-57.jpg

Gemüsepizza;208315552 said:
I really, really hope that they will find a way to make this work. What a nightmare for the UK.

Sadly it won't happen. It would be political suicide and raise all sorts of questions about democratic processes. The public's faith is at an all time low regarding politicians being self-serving with not a care in the world for what "regular" people want. Their hands are tied here. They HAVE to side with the public majority if they want to start rebuilding faith and begin fixing where all of this went wrong.

The best outcome we can hope for now is a "special relationship" with the EU, which looks almost identical to what we already had, yet costs us more financially and means we don't get any say in European affairs at all.

Kadayi

Banned
Not in the EU that's for sure.

I laughed.

This thread could do with a bit of levity. We're barely 2 days past the result and the doom-mongering has gone way past the point of hysteria

People need to work through the first four stages of grief over the result and get onto the last three because this is clearly happening.

I don't know what the F is going to happen come Monday when I go back into the office or over the next few months, but I don't see the point in moping about how things have played out. Better to look at the possibility space going forward and the new challenges a post EU UK will bring.

failgubbe

This will just cause resentment from both sides and lead the kinds of situations the EU was created to prevent. If we want stability and peace in Europe the EU should work towards having the best relationship possible with the UK government/people. Even if they are not inside the EU. Same goes for every democratic country out there.

Yes that's true but the vote has been cast and the results are in so why should the EU be the one who fixes the siuation when the UK already has one of the best deals in the union and always gets their way?

Uhh first start a referendum with a leave campaign painting europeans as poor uneducated poopers that want that british wellfare. Leave wins. Now suddenly europeans need to be nice to the british?
It's a "third country" with 65 million consumers.
so? US has 320 million, china and india have more than 1 billion, Japan has more than 100 million, south korea has more than 50 million.. Dont act like 60 million is an impressive number

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It's not a vote specifically against the Tories, it's a vote against the political establishment and continued ignorance of real, working peoples issues.

People want change. They were never going to get that with a remain vote.

People want change, sure, but they hate difference. The political establishment, the ones who have ignored them, are the Tories though. They cut them into the ground. Now they've paved the way for the real mutants in the party to cut them down further.

Jisgsaw

Germany is ready for global take over

Next step, remitiralize the Ruhr.

It's not a zero-sum game, the EU does not benefit from UK being in a worse recession or the financial sector having to spend a ton of money to relocate, it's in the EU's best interest to ensure that economically the region is stable. Bureaucrats will compromise, because that's what they always do, and the EU is full of nothing but bureaucrats.

While I agree EU will try to compromise, I don't give theUK as much leverage as you seem to.
Just curious, what would you consider a "good" deal?

Yes that's true but the vote has been cast and the results are in so why should the EU be the one who fixes the siuation when the UK already has one of the best deals in the union and always gets their way?
Because business is business and this isn't about spite or justice, or even principles, it's about putting your countries in the most advantageous position and major EU member countries like Germany and France would want a good trade relationship with UK and forcing the UK into a worse recession isn't good for anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom