• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maledict

Remember the Olympic spirit?

It feels more and more like the Olympic spirit was actually the London spirit. Because the people and acts we are seeing in the north and middle of England isn't anything like what the Olympics brought us.

(To note - I am a northerner, Lancashire born and bred).

LewieP

I think a pro-EU platform is absolutely the right choice for them, and the right thing to campaign on. They might well get back some of those seats they lost to the tories in 2015, which would mean hung parliament territory.

I'm not sure how many people would believe them in the run up to a general election. Surly the entire platform would go out of the window if they had another chance at a coalition with a Leave-lead Tory party.

Maybe we could get another referendum, on both electoral reform and another Brexit Poll.

Just read a roundup, and so pretty much all forecasters revised their outlook down. And it's actually not the worst case scenario. Yes, some analysts are predicting an increased likelihood of reccession, so that's not great. But things haven't fallen off a cliff, they don't think.
Interesting times.

It hasn't even begun yet.

dealer-

I guess it's feels kinda reassuring to see like minded posts in this thread. This really does feel like some kind of nightmare that I can't wake up from. This whole thing has shocked me to the core and I can't believe it is happening to the country that I live in.

I've always felt slightly proud to be British, and enjoyed that we are a multicultural society that is accepting of all people and nationalities. Suddenly we're now a xenophobic right wing laughing stock of a country that has irreversibly damaged our standing with the rest of the world because of pathetic politicians that only had their self interest at heart. We're potentially looking at years of economic uncertainty and possibly catastrophe. I don't want to live here anymore.

I really, really hope that we find a way to dig ourselves out of this shit asap, although we've already ruined our own reputation. I get that to some, this was a protest against the world of modern Western elites and globalisation, but it just feels like it was misplaced anger when our own fucking inept politicians are to blame for the current state of the country. We could have been clever, but we just went and fucked it all up.

Good post, sums up my feelings.

Nah, this is the first time in my life I'm genuinely ashamed to British. I don't believe in the "always be proud of where you're from" rhetoric - patriotism is earned.

Yup, I won't be wearing my England shirt for the game tomorrow.

This is such a watershed in British politics and life (and possibly the end of British life given Scotland leaving). I honestly don't feel at home here anymore - this isn't the place I thought it was.

This is the thing that's getting me down more than anything. It's more than just economics and jobs etc

Polari

You know, it really strikes me as being a highly viable electoral platform to simply come out and say, "We've heard the voice of the people, but, we really can't see a way of enacting Brexit politically without causing a ton of other problems, so we aren't planning on acting on it for now because the time isn't right".

I think that simply recognizing the result as a legitimate protest vote, would be more than enough to shift public perception favorably. Discourse simply needs to be shifted from an ideological/emotional to a pragmatic centre. For example, building on a tentpole of the practical difficulty in justifying the preservation of the union of the UK whilst simultaneously separating from the EU is a very real political conundrum.

There will be riots. I think you're underestimating the strength of feeling in a lot of those voting to leave. It may not have been a binding referendum, but it was sold to them as the decision of whether or not Britain should leave the EU. People already hate politicians. If they try and stage what amounts to an undemocratic coup, things could get very serious indeed.

The only saving grace is there is no need for the EU to play hardball with the UK.

Watching the political, financial and social fallout of a leave vote, will quell any suggestion for similar action in other EU countries.

Nobody wants their country to go through this mess.

Yeah.

One of the replies mentioned it in the last page, bur I remember reading that the EU would be in trouble if Brexit ever happened.

If anything, right now the perception is that thw EU is actually strengthening their resolve and working together at getting the UK out of there. Even if the UK never invokes article 50(guessing thats the "we leave the EU" clause) the EU seems to be looking to penalize and make an example of them.

Man, I feel sorry for the average Dicks and Marys over in Britain. Your governments incompetent, the EU is out for blood, and the bigots are coming out of the woodwork.

Id be lying if I said it wasnt interesting to watch. Its like our own politics in the US right now, as if Britain is a future vision of a Trump presidency

slider

Hey, hold on a second. OF COURSE you should be proud of being British. This mess shouldn't change how you feel about you identity. You can hate what's happening right now, you can hate your politicians. But don't let them change who you are.

I dunno if I'm able to explain it fully (especially as I'm watching the Euros!). But I'm embarrassed that our society, with as much as it's been through... this mature democracy has made this decision (fine though, I'll have to accept it) and has so much uncertainty looming. Someone own this shitstorm. The sooner the better.

Side note, a friend's wife has been told that her job's at risk. The tragedy is she voted leave. She works in the square mile. Not sure what to think!

Xando

Just read a roundup, and so pretty much all forecasters revised their outlook down. And it's actually not the worst case scenario. Yes, some analysts are predicting an increased likelihood of reccession, so that's not great. But things haven't fallen off a cliff, they don't think.
Interesting times.
Think the real hit is still to come.
Tomorrow and all of next week should be really bad for the markets. Expecting lots and lots of relocating news coming next week from Banks and other multinational companies.

Maledict

There will be riots. I think you're underestimating the strength of feeling in a lot of those voting to leave. It may not have been a binding referendum, but it was sold to them as the decision of whether or not Britain should leave the EU. People already hate politicians. If they try and stage what amounts to an undemocratic coup, things could get very serious indeed.

And the strength of feeling in those that voted to stay? Do we only count if we go out and beat up some immigrants?

And it wouldn't be an undemocratic coup if it was done as part of an electoral platform - that would be the opposite of undemocratic. If you vote for someone knowing they won't take you out of the EU that's your choice.

Plum

Nah, this is the first time in my life I'm genuinely ashamed to be British. I don't believe in the "always be proud of where you're from" rhetoric - patriotism is earned.

Yep. Being somewhere, and being there for a long time, does not mean I hold any love for it. Britain is just a country I happen to live in, nothing more, nothing less.

Aye, that's my thinking. Even aside from the matter of principle (not overriding, or rather, ignoring a majority vote), there's clearly a hell of a lot of angry people about, and ignoring their wishes now won't solve anything. No matter how half-assed, ignorant, deceived or genuine their wishes were.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
this is looking more and more like the biggest political fiasko and nation-suicide in the last couple of decades..

Hasney

Nope. Sorry I disagree - for the first time ever, I now feel utterly ashamed to be British. My country has just committed economic suicide on the world stage, backed by an agenda of racism and xenophobia. I don't understand my country anymore, and to use the right wing phrase - I want my country back.

This is such a watershed in British politics and life (and possibly the end of British life given Scotland leaving). I honestly don't feel at home here anymore - this isn't the place I thought it was.

Yup. The unity some are calling for aren't happening because for some of us, it's either leave for better lands or fix this. And by fix it, I don't mean make Remain happen (although I will be doing everything in my power as an individual to make this happen), but there's a large portion of the population we need to take down a peg and not come together to make sure that they know their vile viewpoints aren't welcome here no matter what land they crawled out of a vagina on.

Newcastle made me proud coming out against the EDL, but more places need to follow that example.

MacBosse

This is how I picture many in the UK soon.

jack-lost-we-have-to-go-back-we-have-to-like-the-byronic-6ke8qJ-quote.jpg

geordiemp

Yeah.
Man, I feel sorry for the average Dicks and Marys over in Britain. Your governments incompetent, the EU is out for blood, and the bigots are coming out of the woodwork.

Id be lying if I said it wasnt interesting to watch. Its like our own politics in the US right now, as if Britain is a future vision of a Trump presidency

Its like most countries have maybe 20-30 % far right dickheads, and someone managed to convince another 20 % to vote with them by confusing matters on what happens next and money savings.

To most people £ 350 m per week sounds allot, really £ 160 million net, but there are allot of strings....and nobody thought about those strings...

It could happen to any country under certain circumstances...I bet if there was no EU figure 'saving'....Leave would of got about 20 % of the vote (immigration only).

ShogunX

From what I seen it was sold to people as a way to stop immigration, leaving the EU was just the side dish. In fact from what I've seen since a lot don't even know what it means to leave the EU they are just happy we are making Britain Great again.

As ever if common sense was indeed common there would be more of it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this isn't the first time you have suggest violence would take place?

If anyone wants to see a Sturgeon interview from today I hadn't seen before now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvd5GgjtpF0

On BBC. Kind of ignore the video title/comments, seems to be from an anti-Sturgeon source.

Personally thought she handled the questions really well.

Sturgeon seems like such a reasonable person in all this mess.

Whats the catch with her? She seems pretty on the level but no politician is ever free of some bs

Ashes

Banned
Think the real hit is still to come.
Tomorrow and allow of next week should be really bad for the markets. Expecting lots and lots of relocating news coming next week from Banks and other multinational companies.

No I meant that I've now read a wider consensus. And it's pretty bad - but not the worst case scenario after a day. Next week should be interesting.

oti

Banned

I think it's quite peculiar how the interviewers make it all seem like an independent Scotland and EU member is such a preposterous idea that can't be entertained while the rest of the UK just kinda gave up apparently.

bitoriginal

The sheer amount of overreactions, generalizations, and completely undemocratic posts I've seen throughout this thread is pretty shocking

Really? Can you give me a logical argument as to why we shouldn't be concerned about the economic outlook of our country on the world stage? Why we shouldn't be concerned that our political parties have completely imploded and we currently have absolutely no leadership when we need it most?

Joni

No I meant that I've now read a wider consensus. And it's pretty bad - but not the worst case scenario after a day. Next week should be interesting.

It is funny but the United Kingdom is so fucked up right now that economists might be hoping for the politicians to just turn everything around. It is like how stock markets were really excited about the positive polls before the actual results.

Seanbob11

So is it now believed that article 50 won't be activated until a new Tory leader is in place? Would Boris call a GE before activating article 50?

PJV3

Aye, that's my thinking. Even aside from the matter of principle (not overriding, or rather, ignoring a majority vote), there's clearly a hell of a lot of angry people about, and ignoring their wishes now won't solve anything. No matter how half-assed, ignorant, deceived or genuine their wishes were.

That's why the country should do the work regarding exit for now, and offer a final vote near exit. The people haven't been ignored that way.

But if the country goes off the rails then parliament has a duty as the sovereign* power to deal with it.

*The shit UKIP have been banging on about.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's quite peculiar how the interviewers make it all seem like an independent Scotland and EU member is such a preposterous idea that can't be entertained while the rest of the UK just kinda gave up apparently.
The strong opposition some Leave supporters have to the possibility of a second independence referendum is, quite frankly, ridiculous. How can anyone have such a massive lack of self-awareness?

Yeah Scotland's politicians at least have a plan, the rest of the UK is still in paralysis. Wonder how much money has been lost already.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
So is it now believed that article 50 won't be activated until a new Tory leader is in place? Would Boris call a GE before activating article 50?

I think there has to be a general election now before anything happens. I can't imagine anyone wants to do it without being sure they have the support now.

Honestly there's no point in being "though" on the UK. Their situation is bad enough as is. No need to pour on the salt.

The trade part of that is rather concerning, so when we leave we lose access and must reapply, holy fuck god only knows how many jobs that will cost.

avaya

So the EU position maybe we need to exit then re-apply as a third country (whatever that maybe).

With Scotland going, the discussions over that alone are going to be nightmarish, on oil, currency, bank liabilities, BoE etc.

Easiest out seems to be Sturgeon blocking the whole thing. Not sure if it will happen.

8bit

Knows the Score

Whats the catch with her? She seems pretty on the level?

No catch, she's smart, on the ball and just about the only political figure that is visibly doing something right now. By the time the Conservatives have got back round a table she'll have a fully ratified plan to move out of the UK.

Y'all are forgetting that Tories don't work weekends. That's a Junior Doctor's job.

world-cup-goal-celebration-argentina.jpg

slider

I'm not. I'm fucking appalled by the stupidity of people, especially after Question TIme today when the working class card was pulled repeatedly alongside the idea that it was all to give the elite a bloody nose.

I've really been tempering my disappointment. I think inside I'm absolutely shocked. When those results from the North East came in I feared the worst but went to sleep hoping for Remain to hold out.

Met a friend yesterday and she was in tears. She's just become a mother and said she wanted her baby to be a European.

I think a part of me, something I've spoken about before, shouldn't be that surprised given how polarised society has been for a while. But the stupidity of people... Gah, getting wound up. Fuck it. Living overseas is a real option for me. Will have to speak to my wife about it seriously. I know I probably won't. But with a beautiful young son and another bubba on the way I'm conflicted.

Binabik15

Its like most countries have maybe 20-30 % far right dickheads, and someone managed to convince another 20 % to vote with them by confusing matters on what happens next and money savings.

To most people £ 350 m per week sounds allot, really £ 160 million net, but there are allot of strings....and nobody thought about those strings...

It could happen to any country under certain circumstances...I bet if there was no EU figure 'saving'....Leave would of got about 20 % of the vote (immigration only).

Why did YOU vote for Leave?

Audioboxer

Whats the catch with her? She seems pretty on the level but no politician is ever free of some bs

She's always been pretty stand up, hence how the SNP are doing better under her than Salmond. The two biggest attacks she tends to get in the absence of her having many other serious weaknesses are

a) She wants to breakup the UK ~ The SNP have always wanted independence...
b) She is ugly ~ Good thing personal opinion on looks is completely irrelevant to politics

We're in pretty safe hands in the north. Just wish for democracies sake for those really against independence they had some sort of leader in Scottish Labour.... Kezia Dugdale is useless. She lost ground to the actually pretty decent Ruth Davidson... But Labour losing ground to the Conservatives in Scotland. Damn that is embarrassing.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
So the EU position maybe we need to exit then re-apply as a third country (whatever that maybe).

With Scotland going, the discussions over that alone are going to be nightmarish, on oil, currency, bank liabilities, BoE etc.

Easiest out seems to be Sturgeon blocking the whole thing. Not sure if it will happen.

If she can and does block it really doesn't hurt her in any way. It's not like the rest of the country can affect the SNPs position.

Let their be riots. Hopefully the police will be allowed to do their job and lock up the racist thugs and the rest of us can get back our lives without the spectre of being in a country that pretty much decapitated it's head, to spite it's brain.

Wait. I'm being mean. Only black people can be "thugs". Yobs then.

As a Labour voter myself, I'm intrigued to see what happens in the coming days.

Corbyn's a decent man and a thoughtful speaker, but he's not gavanalised the party at all.

In fact it seems in free fall.

With a general election around the corner and the country in no man's land, the Labour Party sorting itself out could be crucial for the future of the entire country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom