• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plum

True, but it was a referendum, not an election. Referendums are pretty much just opinion polls and with one this close, most would just ignore the result.

They are in no way obligated to follow through with it, which is what makes the EU high ups saying that we have to do it soon, and talk of them trying to get a legal way to enact it without our PM enacting it. It wasn't an election. It wasn't legally binding.

Will we follow through? Probably, but let's not say there is no going back.

I just don't see it. We're too damn cocksure about this thing, even the bloody remainers are spouting "Will of the people" bullshit. When we finally realize what we've done it'll be WAY too late to stop anything, and then all that'll happen is more turbulence and more division.

liquidtmd

Banned
Current entire UK Government

hqdefault.jpg

samn

Damn. So lemme get this straight.

Cameron is hiding and has pre-emptively passed on the power to leave the EU with the next PM(closest thing I can think of is the GOP blocking the supreme court justice hearings until the next Pres, which looks to likely be Hillary).

The campaign that rallied for Leave has no idea what to do next. Boris is playing dumb, Nigel is getting screwed over by his own party.

And the party opposing Leave(Labour?) seems.to be eating itself from the inside out instead of going out there and rallying the masses.

My goodness.

At least the Lib Dems are doing something constructive. They've promised to oppose Brexit. might already have my vote

Plum

Cameron is hiding and has pre-emptively passed on the power to leave the EU with the next PM(closest thing I can think of is the GOP blocking the supreme court justice hearings until the next Pres, which looks to likely be Hillary).

The campaign that rallied for Leave has no idea what to do next. Boris is playing dumb, Nigel is getting screwed over by his own party.

And the party opposing Leave(Labour?) seems.to be eating itself from the inside out instead of going out there and rallying the masses.

My goodness.

Yep. We've got a spillage on Aisle 9 and everyone's too scared to clean it up.

Maledict

I just don't see it. We're too damn cocksure about this thing, even the bloody remainers are spouting "Will of the people" bullshit. When we finally realize what we've done it'll be WAY too late to stop anything, and then all that'll happen is more turbulence and more division.

Let's see who wins the labour leadership. Dan Jarvis on a "pro -EU " platform would crush Corbyn in a leadership election. That's the best hope it seems - that and the lib-dems winning back the seats they lost in 2015. If they do that it's a hung parliament and they can block any "leave the EU" legislation.

Tak3n

Banned
Respecting the will of the British people: immigration policy after Leave

So what should the government do?

First, and urgently - and our current "lame-duck" government under David Cameron will have to address this issue in some form - it needs to announce quickly the rules under which EU nationals currently resident in the UK will be granted permanent residence. This is not just a matter of saying that people who are here on June 23rd can stay. What about their spouses and children? What about people who came here, lived here for a number of years, then returned to their home country? Remember that given we have no population register, and that EU nationals are not require to have visas, we won’t actually know who is here on June 23rd. The only practical procedure would appear to be that suggested by UKIP’s migration spokesman,, Steven Woolf, that anyone who’d registered for a National Insurance number prior to the referendum would be guaranteed residence rights. But even this will not address the more complex cases, of which there will be many thousand. At the same time the government will need to try to address the understandable concerns of Britons abroad; of course it will have no direct control, but a generous offer to EU nationals here would help.
Second, the new administration should announce that it will take advantage of the (at least) two year period before we actually leave to the EU to conduct a widespread public consultation on the new policy framework, possibly coordinated by the respected and independent Migration Advisory Committee. The referendum will have been won on the basis that “taking control” means we can decide who comes to this country according to our “needs”; the consultation should address, from the bottom, what - and who- it means. In particular, if there is a target, it should come from this bottom up analysis, not the top down, as with the present one. That is, we should work out which types of migration we want to control and how, and work out what that means for numbers, not the other way around. This will not be just a matter of tweaks to the current system for non-EU migration; EU migrants fill a wide variety of current jobs, by no means all low-skilled, that would not qualify under the current system.
Finally, it needs to take immediate action to address legitimate local concerns over the impact of migration on public services. Given that public spending cuts will continue for some time, and meanwhile nothing will happen to migration policy for at least two years, there is a risk of public frustration if they see that nothing has changed on the ground. This should include the establishment of a proper, and properly funded, Migration Impact Fund (MIF). The earlier MIF (ended after the 2010 election) was both underfunded and underpublicised, and hence did little to address legitimate public concerns. A new MIF should be quasi-automatic, channelling funds to the NHS, schools and councils at a local level, based on timely local data on the scale of migration (using, for example, National Insurance numbers and GP registrations). Its existence and the flow of money should be well publicised. The MIF won’t be a panacea – as long as central government continues to cut overall funding for services, people in areas of high migration flows will understandably see migrants adding to extra demand, even if the net impact at national level of migrants on the public finances is positive. Nevertheless it would be a tangible demonstration of government commitment to address the issue.

http://www.niesr.ac.uk/blog/respect...e-immigration-policy-after-leave#.V2_ryNVrjIV

Biggzy

My goodness.

Yep, you have got it. But also, the only politician that seems to have a plan happens to be the First Minister of Scotland. We literally have no form of government at the moment.

Let's see who wins the labour leadership. Dan Jarvis on a "pro -EU " platform would crush Corbyn in a leadership election. That's the best hope it seems - that and the lib-dems winning back the seats they lost in 2015. If they do that it's a hung parliament and they can block any "leave the EU" legislation.

Has there been anything from Dan Jarvis in the past few days?

My goodness.

Remember when that Brexit vote was supposed to collapse the EU? Good times.

Wvrs

Yeah, who the fuck is the current Lib Dem leader?

Tim Farron. He's the MP for the area I was born in (South Lakes), met him on several occasions and he's a genuinely good guy who is passionate about what the Lib Dems historically stood for.

I still resent the party's betrayal of students with the tuition fees debacle, but Farron is a much better man than Clegg. Always done right by his constituency. If he gets a strong manifesto, allies and campaign together, he has my vote in the new GE.

Oibignose

First day back at work tomorrow since this horrendous result. 90% of my colleagues are Brexit biased. I am worried I am going to throw the first idiot to make a joke about it out of a window. This is going to be genuinely uncomfortable.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

My goodness.

If nothing else it really goes to show how out of touch politicians are in this country. The whole thing was hanging together by a thread.

Maledict

Might as well throw in free university education for everyone and a unicorn on every street corner.

I think a pro-EU platform is absolutely the right choice for them, and the right thing to campaign on. They might well get back some of those seats they lost to the tories in 2015, which would mean hung parliament territory.

MrHoot

Cant wait to see the faces on the people who voted leave when we have to accept free movement of people from the EU to make the trade deal.

Believe me at this point they don't care, i've tried with a few

Either they're delusional and think they won't have to accept the "bad immigrants" or will be able to get a better deal because the'yre the UK and the UK is the greatest country ever. Or they'll see that they don't need it anyway because the US is their best pals.

It's similar to trump supporters at this point. They live inside a bucket of self-agrandizing slogans and straight up made up facts (the guy I posted earlier is a good example). The EU is weak and will crumble and come begging on it's knees

slider

Damn. I'm still proud of being British. But, as a nation, I suddenly feel we're very immature. Never thought I'd feel like that.

Impossible but I'd be interested to hear from potential immigrants about coming to a nation that may appear so inward looking and, in parts, unwelcoming.

bitoriginal

I guess it's feels kinda reassuring to see like minded posts in this thread. This really does feel like some kind of nightmare that I can't wake up from. This whole thing has shocked me to the core and I can't believe it is happening to the country that I live in.

I've always felt slightly proud to be British, and enjoyed that we are a multicultural society that is accepting of all people and nationalities. Suddenly we're now a xenophobic right wing laughing stock of a country that has irreversibly damaged our standing with the rest of the world because of pathetic politicians that only had their self interest at heart. We're potentially looking at years of economic uncertainty and possibly catastrophe. I don't want to live here anymore.

I really, really hope that we find a way to dig ourselves out of this shit asap, although we've already ruined our own reputation. I get that to some, this was a protest against the world of modern Western elites and globalisation, but it just feels like it was misplaced anger when our own fucking inept politicians are to blame for the current state of the country. We could have been clever, but we just went and fucked it all up.

Binabik15

Remember when that Brexit vote was supposed to collapse the EU? Good times.

Stop being a meanie it's not the UK's fault that they're having a hard time right now, man you guys are kicking people when they're down! Merkel! Car manufacturers!

/GAF leavers

I've gone from shaking my head in disbelief about the fact that the UK voted for Leave to shaking my head about the headless chickens running around. But we don't really WANNA!

I'm sorry sane-UK Gaf, you're always welcome here in Germany.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Met a lot of people today that didn't even bother to vote - too hard to understand and research apparently. These same people are currently ignorant about the seriousness of the whole situation. I really do despair. I am so upset at the apathy - like going through life not giving a shit.

You talk to the some of the ones that voted to leave - to find out their whole argument was essentially 'keep Britain British' BS.

Plum

seems people attacking the Polish is getting noticed high up

I'm not surprised. We've pissed of the EU and now racist idiots are making it worse for themselves. Any notion that we'll get anything near a good deal is out the window right now.

oti

Banned
Damn. I'm still proud of being British. But, as a nation, I suddenly feel we're very immature. Never thought I'd feel like that.

Impossible but I'd be interested to hear from potential immigrants about coming to a nation that may appear so inward looking and, in parts, unwelcoming.

Hey, hold on a second. OF COURSE you should be proud of being British. This mess shouldn't change how you feel about your identity. You can hate what's happening right now, you can hate your politicians. But don't let them change who you are.

Believe me at this point they don't care, i've tried with a few

Either they're delusional and think they won't have to accept the "bad immigrants" or will be able to get a better deal because the'yre the UK and the UK is the greatest country ever. Or they'll see that they don't need it anyway because the US is their best pals.

It's similar to trump supporters at this point. They live inside a bucket of self-agrandizing slogans and straight up made up facts (the guy I posted earlier is a good example). The EU is weak and will crumble and come begging on it's knees

Obama ain't gonna do anything with a government that's gone straight up AWOL, he already has enough of that shit going on back home

My goodness.

The only saving grace is there is no need for the EU to play hardball with the UK.

Watching the political, financial and social fallout of a leave vote, will quell any suggestion for similar action in other EU countries.

Nobody wants their country to go through this mess.

Achire

To clarify, in light of how well the universities in the UK are seen across Europe and the world, we were an actual net gainer in this category. We got €8.8bn in research funding versus the €5.4bn we gave EU for this area.

There is a chance that €5.4bn will be allocated around the UK. That €3bn will most likely be lost.

If all the study's the daily mail and express reported in the news, stated, that it was EU funding that made the research possible, then it'd far outweigh all the silly stuff that they kept having a go at - on top of all those quacky fringe researchers they trying to give a platform to. But the EU isn't there to croak about its self.

It's likely that the UK would be allowed to participate in Horizon 2020 etc. research funding even after leaving the EU, as long as they paid into the program. Israel is a participant, and they also get more funding than they put in. Of course you guys have done a pretty good job of shooting yourself in the foot lately, so who knows whether the UK would do the smart thing here either.

Anyway, what a total clusterfuck. My Welsh co-worker is going to be pissed. And I'm pissed, I wanted to go to Edinburgh on ERC money but who knows how much in the air all that shit is still going to be in a year.

Zaph

Hey, hold on a second. OF COURSE you should be proud of being British. This mess shouldn't change how you feel about you identity. You can hate what's happening right now, you can hate your politicians. But don't let them change who you are.

Nah, this is the first time in my life I'm genuinely ashamed to be British. I don't believe in the "always be proud of where you're from" rhetoric - patriotism is earned.

Maledict

Hey, hold on a second. OF COURSE you should be proud of being British. This mess shouldn't change how you feel about you identity. You can hate what's happening right now, you can hate your politicians. But don't let them change who you are.

Nope. Sorry I disagree - for the first time ever, I now feel utterly ashamed to be British. My country has just committed economic suicide on the world stage, backed by an agenda of racism and xenophobia. I don't understand my country anymore, and to use the right wing phrase - I want my country back.

This is such a watershed in British politics and life (and possibly the end of British life given Scotland leaving). I honestly don't feel at home here anymore - this isn't the place I thought it was.

spwolf

It's likely that the UK would be allowed to participate in Horizon 2020 etc. research funding even after leaving the EU, as long as they paid into the program. Israel is a participant, and they also get more funding than they put in. Of course you guys have done a pretty good job of shooting yourself in the foot lately, so who knows whether the UK would do the smart thing here either.

Anyway, what a total clusterfuck. My Welsh co-worker is going to be pissed. And I'm pissed, I wanted to go to Edinburgh on ERC money but who knows how much in the air all that shit is still going to be in a year.

i kind of doubt it though. Why should we fund UK universities? Makes no sense. Then everyone would leave EU if they thought they would have no obligations but would still reap all the benefits.

heidern

We've only had the initial day of actual trading on Friday. If the markets open tomorrow and things start tanking further then the evidence to rethink things could become too strong to ignore. At the moment it's still being handwaved away as Project FEAR.

I'm not. I'm fucking appalled by the stupidity of people, especially after Question TIme today when the working class card was pulled repeatedly alongside the idea that it was all to give the elite a bloody nose.

Par Score

Which kinda shows up the most basic problems with this farce. Aside from being a bad idea, there is simply no way to reconcile the concept of 'leaving the EU' with the reality of what that entails.

It's why nobody has a plan, it's why Article 50 is so threadbare, it's why Cameron dropped the ball and ran. Whatever political fudge is eventually settled upon, it will please absolutely nobody.

Nah, this is the first time in my life I'm genuinely ashamed to British. I don't believe in the "always be proud of where you're from" rhetoric - patriotism is earned.

Yep. With stuff like Iraq, or the Clearances, or colonialism in general, it was always the people at the top. Some toff or another making a shitty decision, and the whole country has to follow it. Top down wankery.

This time, it's bottom up. The people have spoken, and it turns out more than half of them want this.

Ashes

Banned
Just read a roundup, and so pretty much all forecasters revised their outlook down. And it's actually not the worst case scenario. Yes, some analysts are predicting an increased likelihood of reccession, so that's not great. But things haven't fallen off a cliff, they don't think.
Interesting times.

avaya

Nope. Sorry I disagree - for the first time ever, I now feel utterly ashamed to be British. My country has just committed economic suicide on the world stage, backed by an agenda of racism and xenophobia. I don't understand my country anymore, and to use the right wing phrase - I want my country back.

This is such a watershed in British politics and life (and possibly the end of British life given Scotland leaving). I honestly don't feel at home here anymore - this isn't the place I thought it was.

Same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom