• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashes

Banned
Sky News panelist

his sources tell him that Cameron told all whitehall depts they were not to prepare any brexit plan as it would go against his message of what would happen if we left...

also he feels Boris will try to avoid a leaders election and tell MP's he will win if it goes to members, and will hope to get enough MP's onside to do a coronation...though he may not get enough

Detestable.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Facebook comments are the worst for this. "We're Great Britain, that's what makes us great!"
I've avoided Facebook entirely through this whole process. I'm angry enough without it, seeing that idiocy would push me over the edge.

Not missing it, either, so this might be a permanent change.

One of the great things about being a teacher is that I can't check news in the middle of lessons. Every time I think this might have calmed down a little bit by now, maybe there's some semblance of a plan starting to form.

Then I check the news and this forum.

And wonder how much further we can go down this mess.

Facebook comments are the worst for this. "We're Great Britain, that's what makes us great!"

Someone needs to educate these halfwits, we are currently balancing on a huge pile of debt and edging closer to the edge of a deep black hole, shouts of Great Britain and rule Britannia won't make that go away.

The "we can pull through, we're British!" rallying cries are just pitiful, as though there's some magical quality to this island that protects it from harm.

Thing is (and as an outsider looking in, this is kinda hilarious) none of this was needed. The UK just made a crisis for themselves out of fucking nothing at all.

Its absolutely mind boggling.

Lego Boss

Lol jesus christ, I was just thinking. If Kelvin McKenzie regrets something you know shit got serious.

Oh yeah, fucking cheers.

Did you not know this was going to happen?

Fucking twatski.

We're tanking and this fucktard is making Twitter apologies. Excuse me whilst I'm sick in the litter bin.

teiresias

The "we can pull through, we're British!" rallying cries are just pitiful, as though there's some magical quality to this island that protects it from harm.

Welcome to the UK equivalent to the US Republican's spouting "American Exceptionalism" whenever anyone dares question an action taken by the US. It's just as infuriating a viewpoint for us over here too (though I guess the US Exeptionalism line has a bit more overt religious connotations as it's frequently said to be granted directly by God to the country . . . or something).

mate what are you on about?

we defeated the germans twice (and a world cup [tm]) without spilling a drop of our Tetley tea.

No one has helped us ever init. Rule Britannia and all that shite.

PJV3

The media will not take the blame at the upcoming economic shitstorm, i am sure they can see whats happening and where it ends. They will pass it to Boris and co.

I'm just wondering if they change the mood music, they won and the thing that drives them is gone.

I'm just wondering if they change the mood music, they won and the thing that drives them is gone.

So they turn on the leavers and say, fuck the economic downturn was right, those 99.9% of advisers and experts were strangely right... how dare you Nigel, Boris and co mislead us. Headlines already likely written.

Soph

And elected representatives are supposed to act in the interests of the people not necessarily the opinions of the people or the interests of themselves and their party, Cameron gambled the country for the sake of his party and Johnson for himself. The court may be better than Cameron and Johnson, but you can bet they'll act in the EU's interest.

I'm going to be honest with you now and say your understanding of this situation is like that of a child. If you are child sorry for the hostility, if not your local library will have several books that can explain this to you.

I'm a child for believing a court of justice is supposed to be impartial? You do know the definition of "to suppose" right?

Ashes

Banned
The media will not take the blame at the upcoming economic shitstorm, i am sure they can see whats happening and where it ends. They will pass it to Boris and co.

All of a sudden everyone's become pragmatic long term investors. The Daily Mail and the Daily Express especially so.

sohois

Detestable.
For all the damage it might inflict, such a strategy could work out in the long run. A coordinated, mildly disastrous exit could have passed through; this omnishambles has a chance of somehow reversing one of the worst political decisions in British history.

The fucked over masses outside of London . Who never got a voice . Tbh they been struggling to be heard and now all the news is reporting is the banks banks banks.
I don't think in the long run bankers will be out of a job for long . The rest of us could be

Those bankers jobs may not be in the UK though.

People love to bash the bankers, but if we lose the City our finances will be truly fucked. Banking and connected industries like accountancy and law are our biggest source of tax revenue. Aside from this loads of other industries are dependent on money coming from the city, e.g restaurants, bars, art, theatre even taxi services. If we lose the passport we will be ruined.

All of a sudden everyone's become pragmatic long term investors. The Daily Mail and the Daily Express especially so.

Eternal contradiction of the press. 'Tomorrow's chip wrappers [WELL IT WOULD BE IF IT WEREN'T FOR THAT FILTHY EU]' vs 'voice of the people', 'paper of record' stuff aped from The Times.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Don't worry the EU will push the button for you if this issue isn't resolved very soon

nothing to do with Europe. We enact article 50 when we decide we are going to leave. Technically we haven't decided to leave - the public has simply voted to let the government know what we want to.

It is completely fine if they want to wait a couple of months before doing anything.

Meadows

Banned
As much as I think we are worse off for leaving the EU, I can't help but think that everyone getting freaked out over the markets is over-reacting.

OK, it is bad, but it's because the market absolutely didn't expect this result and is re-adjusting to a more appropriate level (probably around £1.30~to the $) and people are moving their stocks out of things like house-building and into more long-term protected stuff like healthcare.

We need leadership to come in and help us through this, but as I said on ref night, the fundamentals of the UK economy are strong.

Before this we were the fastest growing developed economy in the world, we haven't suddenly got absolutely shite at business, it's just a shock event which is having consequences play out.

For reference, I think this crisis will have an effect on the UK economy more like 9/11 did on the US's markets rather than 2008 - but I'm not an expert so we will see.

As much as I think we are worse off for leaving the EU, I can't help but think that everyone getting freaked out over the markets is over-reacting.

OK, it is bad, but it's because the market absolutely didn't expect this result and is re-adjusting to a more appropriate level (probably around £1.30~to the $) and people are moving their stocks out of things like house-building and into more long-term protected stuff like healthcare.

We need leadership to come in and help us through this, but as I said on ref night, the fundamentals of the UK economy are strong.

Before this we were the fastest growing developed economy in the world, we haven't suddenly got absolutely shite at business, it's just a shock event which is having consequences play out.

For reference, I think this crisis will have an effect on the UK economy more like 9/11 did on the US's markets rather than 2008 - but I'm not an expert so we will see.

Investment has shuddered to a stop overnight, you do not need to be an expert to realise what that means....

Thing is (and as an outsider looking in, this is kinda hilarious) none of this was needed. The UK just made a crisis for themselves out of fucking nothing at all.

Its absolutely mind boggling.

And that's what is most embarrassing of all in this whole situation.

I hope the rest of the world is taking notes...

nothing to do with Europe. We enact article 50 when we decide we are going to leave. Technically we haven't decided to leave - the public has simply voted to let the government know what we want to.

It is completely fine if they want to wait a couple of months before doing anything.

Weren't the voters promised immediate action, though? I imagine that with other lies or half-truths they were told, they wouldn't be exactly excited over that.

Hasney

Analysts are thinking it may be worse than 2008. Here's the most recent one, from a guy who is very far away from being an alarmist.

Cl9cs11WEAUH4ed.jpg:large

He could be wrong on he severity, but those bullet points are facts and do not make great reading.

avaya

9/11 did not fundamentally change the structure and nature of the US economy.

This has. This is far far bigger. This is not even the beginning.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Weren't the voters promised immediate action, though? I imagine that with other lies or half-truths they were told, they wouldn't be exactly excited over that.

its a potentially two year process to negotiate exit. There was realistically no way Cameron was going to lead that negotiation after losing on the opposing stance. So there needs to be a new leader.

Yes in theory he could hit the button and start the ball rolling now, but then you're losing 2-3 months while the leadership contest happens. That would be irresponsible.

I think Cameron's approach is the way to go.

Hasney

so is the GBP going to continue to fall or is there something that can be done against this?

A functioning government might be able to slow it with some well thought out policies and spending, but we don't have that because they're too busy trying to get their own houses in order.

Micael

Wouldn't exactly say completely fine to wait, especially since this isn't just a UK matter anymore, as soon as the UK voted to leave you effectively damaged the economy of all the other countries in the EU, and uncertainties will continue to do damage, so waiting around will not be a popular strategy with the EU, and they can and will put pressure on the UK, if the UK keeps this state of uncertainty going.
It's not even good for the UK to wait around for months, no outside business is going to risk on the UK right now, even places like Gibraltar which are situated in Spain basically are going to suffer the more this is delayd

RulkezX

Don't worry the EU will push the button for you if this issue isn't resolved very soon

I'd very much like to see the EU try to force anything based on the result of a non-legally binding referendum.

They can posture all they want, they can't however take it out of our hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom