• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiGiKerot

As much as I think we are worse off for leaving the EU, I can't help but think that everyone getting freaked out over the markets is over-reacting.

OK, it is bad, but it's because the market absolutely didn't expect this result and is re-adjusting to a more appropriate level (probably around £1.30~to the $) and people are moving their stocks out of things like house-building and into more long-term protected stuff like healthcare.

We need leadership to come in and help us through this, but as I said on ref night, the fundamentals of the UK economy are strong.

Before this we were the fastest growing developed economy in the world, we haven't suddenly got absolutely shite at business, it's just a shock event which is having consequences play out.

For reference, I think this crisis will have an effect on the UK economy more like 9/11 did on the US's markets rather than 2008 - but I'm not an expert so we will see.

The strength of our economy is based on our financial services ability to do business in Europe under a scheme it will likely lose access to, whilst meanwhile planned spending and investment is being pulled all over the place. The reason people are, quite rightly, panicking is because we literally don't have anything in our fundamental economy which can plug that kind of hole.

Seen a few people on the ol' social media claiming that the pound falling is good (!) because it'll make us attractive to countries looking to buy cheap.

I guess the flaw in that argument is that we don't export nearly as much as we import, meaning that there'd need to be a radical shake up - right?

olympia

Weren't the voters promised immediate action, though? I imagine that with other lies or half-truths they were told, they wouldn't be exactly excited over that.

I don't think that the referendum results being ignored would be an unpopular decision now that people can actually see the ugly results of a leave win. I'd wager that if the referendum was held today, Remain would win. The idea that in a democratic republic such a potentially destabilizing decision was ultimately made by a simple majority spanning 4 countries is really dumb. As a result, nobody seems eager to be the one to hit the article 50 button, including Bojo.

Ashes

Banned
As much as I think we are worse off for leaving the EU, I can't help but think that everyone getting freaked out over the markets is over-reacting.

OK, it is bad, but it's because the market absolutely didn't expect this result and is re-adjusting to a more appropriate level (probably around £1.30~to the $) and people are moving their stocks out of things like house-building and into more long-term protected stuff like healthcare.

We need leadership to come in and help us through this, but as I said on ref night, the fundamentals of the UK economy are strong.

Before this we were the fastest growing developed economy in the world, we haven't suddenly got absolutely shite at business, it's just a shock event which is having consequences play out.

For reference, I think this crisis will have an effect on the UK economy more like 9/11 did on the US's markets rather than 2008 - but I'm not an expert so we will see.

Friday losses were bigger than the 2008 crash in terms of a single day worldwide fall. But we're better prepared because this time we have more in the bank in layman terms, and we've stress tested the markets to much much worse.

PJV3

That money isn't just going to disappear, people are holding off until they know more.

The UK has out everything at risk, I don't think we will fully recover again. After 2008 it's got to be the final nail for the countries reputation.

The clown show going on now just confirms it.

There has to be a legit conspiracy theory going on about this, please tell me there is a master plan behind the scenes .

ix82v79.gif

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That money isn't just going to disappear, people are holding off until they know more.

Sure, but investment is a critical component of GDP. If people reduce investment for the next two and a bit years, that implies GDP will be down for those two and a bit years. That's pretty dreadful.

Zaph

Weren't the voters promised immediate action, though? I imagine that with other lies or half-truths they were told, they wouldn't be exactly excited over that.

You would think Leavers would prefer we went about this in a way that prioritises the UK getting a good a deal as possible, rather than as fast as possible, regardless of what was promised.

Then again, this is the same group of people who just voted to shoot themselves in the head, so who knows what they're thinking.

Seen a few people on the ol' social media claiming that the pound falling is good (!) because it'll make us attractive to countries looking to buy cheap.

I guess the flaw in that argument is that we don't export nearly as much as we import, meaning that there'd need to be a radical shake up - right?

Yeah. What we do sell best is what we've just thrown into utter uncertainty.

Meadows

Banned
I know you guys have been looking at charts all weekend and are really in the middle of it so it seems worse than it actually is, but I honestly believe that this isn't going to be as catastrophic as you all think.

Once we're through this week we should be in a better place. Let's try not to talk ourselves into a recession too much!

Harmen

Yeah, I am not having a good feeling about this at all at this point.

Also, isn't it better to just get on with it and invoke article 50 already? This "delaying the inevitable" seems like it would also delay any chance at restructuring and solving the shitload of massive problems this thing has spawned. Playing the waiting game seems like the wrong thing to do now, as more and more companies are likely to pick a different trade haven as long as they don't see any plans. Or am I missing something?

Honey Bunny

Doesn't have to be a flat change. Technically it can result in importing cheaper products and exporting more expensive ones.

Cameron making his statement. For our international friends http://news.sky.com/watch-live

Maledict

There seems to be a growing legal opinion that the PM can't even activate Article 50 without passing it through the house. At the rate the economy is going under I think that is looking more difficult by the day. Again, I think that is exactly what Cameron was aiming for with this resignation.

Meadows

Banned
Friday losses were bigger than the 2008 crash in terms of a single day worldwide fall. But we're better prepared because this time we have more in the bank in layman terms, and we've stress tested the markets to much much worse.

Losses on Friday were a correction on market expectations of a Remain win.

Again, don't think I'm in the Brexit club, I think it was a mistake to leave, but I don't think the fundamentals are as bad as people say.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I know you guys have been looking at charts all weekend and are really in the middle of it so it seems worse than it actually is, but I honestly believe that this isn't going to be as catastrophic as you all think.

Once we're through this week we should be in a better place. Let's try not to talk ourselves into a recession too much!
I seem to recall that we were also told that remaining positive would stave off the harmful effects of austerity cuts too. How's that working out?

PJV3

Yeah, I am not having a good feeling about this at all at this point.

Also, isn't it better to just get on with it and invoke article 50 already? This "delaying the inevitable" seems like it would also delay any chance at restructuring and solving the shitload of massive problems this thing has spawned. Playing the waiting game seems like the wrong thing to do now, as more and more companies are likely to pick a different trade haven as long as they don't see any plans. Or am I missing something?

We have nothing set up to deal with it.

Unfortunately it feels like that's the way it's going. Such a weird world.

Ashes

Banned

Again, don't think I'm in the Brexit club, I think it was a mistake to leave, but I don't think the fundamentals are as bad as people say.

I don't think we're in the worst case scenario either. And where I live has been the worst hit in the whole country.

You would think Leavers would prefer we went about this in a way that prioritises the UK getting a good a deal as possible, rather than as fast as possible, regardless of what was promised.

Then again, this is the same group of people who just voted to shoot themselves in the head, so who knows what they're thinking.

Well no, if they are worried about this golden once in a lifetime opportunity disappearing [because of conspiracy reasons] they would want to push the no way back button asap.

Hasney

I personally think we can recover, sure. But we're going to have to wade through a minimum of five years of shit to do it and even then, it's if we can do it.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Cameron essentially saying "things are going to be shit, but we can take it".

Oh goodie.

mid83

The strength of our economy is based on our financial services ability to do business in Europe under a scheme it will likely lose access to, whilst meanwhile planned spending and investment is being pulled all over the place. The reason people are, quite rightly, panicking is because we literally don't have anything in our fundamental economy which can plug that kind of hole.

I doubt we see any semblance of a recovery until investors have an idea of what the future UK/EU deal might be. Uncertainty is the biggest issue here, which doesn't even touch the effects of what a future UK/EU deal holds and how that changes how the UK currently does business. That is a whole other can of worms that isn't even open yet.

I'm not expecting a 2008 crash yet, but I don't understand all the people here in the US who thinks this is a big non issue that people are overreacting to. My dad thinks this is a bunch of nonsense and within a couple weeks things will be fine because the UK has their sovernity snd the authority to make policy at home vs in Brussels. Whatever I guess :/

I think I can categorically say that although I have very little idea about what is going on, I still have more idea than 99% of the tory government who are paid to know more than a half educated nonce such as myself.

The UK is a hot mess right now. And not one of those good white ones either.

Sanjay

I missed the joke he made that everyone was laughing to and then said ""and I thought i was having a bad day"

What did I miss?

Hasney

He welcomes the new MP for Tooting, who has just been sworn in. He advises her to keep her mobile phone on. She could be in the shadow cabinet by the end of the day, he jokes.

"And I thought I was having a bad day ..."

Hahahahaaha

Get your own house in order you utter cunt. Everything around you is in the shitter and you're the one mostly to blame you goddamn piece of shit pig fucker.

platocplx

no this is incomparable to 9/11.

this is comparable to the mortgage crisis in the US where many people made bad deals and bad bets on people who had no business having what was given to them.

For the UK now there is no way that you can recover from having a pretty sweet alliance with over 27 countries( to now having to either pay more for less, and/or making individual deals with various countries in which now you are doing it alone vs being a collective with exponentially way more buying power and leverage.

Let me put it like this, Within the EU you all had under one umbrella the collective buying power of over 395 Million people larger than the entire united states.

Now you only have the buying power of 64 million by yourselves. That is what has been lost and it is extremely arrogant to think that you will have remotely as much success by losing that many people as one massive entity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom