• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Muslims were 1.1% of the UK population in 1981 (550k) and 4.8% of the UK population in 2011 (2.7m).

That has nothing to do with the EU, though, which on average across EU member states has less Muslims than we do. That's immigration from South Asia.

gerg

One of most frustrating things here is that after all the UK's stalling while being a member of the EU, it seems like our exit might be the kick that actually gets the reforms that many of the Remainers wanted passed.

I'm not sure I'd see this as such a bad outcome. From what I've read people seem to theorise that Brexit will lead either to a smaller, but closer EU or a larger, but looser EU. The former doesn't seem to be amenable to British (politicians') interests, and so the UK would not lose out from a Brexit; the latter might be, but (and I would like to know if this is remotely the case) if it entails for EU association or membership without the Euro then a Bre-entry might not be impossible after some amount of the time. The question for the latter is whether this could have also been achieved without a Brexit.

d9b

Banned
bor00.jpg

That has nothing to do with the EU, though, which on average across EU member states has less Muslims than we do. That's immigration from South Asia.

Not according to leave supporters, ask them to tell the difference between a Eastern European immigrant and a Muslim immigrant from Middle east and you get blank faces, try it, i tried it on my sister.

Zaph

This is fucking insanity - on BBC News some teenage twat is saying there will be more opportunity now because "an African leader says he wants to be first in the queue for a trade deal".

They're all insane.

I'm just at the point with it where I want someone to hit the nuclear button and trigger Art50 at least we'll know where we are, for a bit

Fuck that. Even if we do leave the EU (which I'm really starting to doubt), it does not serve us to rush it. If we trigger a50, we at the very least need a plan and the people to run with it.

Think the markets are in turmoil now? We ain't seen nothing yet if that red button is pressed.

Yeah I'm off to France on Thursday. Luckily travel and accommodation were booked when rates were good, but I got utterly screwed on currency because I only bought my travel money today.
I was in Paris last Friday (that was fun...), and Travelex machines were straight refusing UK cards, so plan accordingly if you think you'll need extra cash.

Nokterian

Alright this is just painful to read..the whole brexit stuff has done it wrong on both sides but also both sides on the voters but you can thank the media also for it for all the wrong messages and fear mongering but also two things to vote in not a proper way. They handled it all poorly and these are the results we see now.

Cl9cyUnWgAAObVV.jpg:large

Audioboxer

This is fucking insanity - on BBC News some teenage twat is saying there will be more opportunity now because "an African leader says he wants to be first in the queue for a trade deal".

They're all insane.

Fuck that. Even if we do leave the EU (which I'm really starting to doubt), it does not serve us to rush it. If we trigger a50, we at the very least need a plan and the people to run with it.

Think the markets are in turmoil now? We ain't seen nothing yet if that red button is pressed.

I was in Paris last Friday (that was fun...), and Travelex machines were straight refusing UK cards, so plan accordingly if you think you'll need cash.

The young guy on question time about to have a stroke in rage defending Nigel Farage was a sight to see as well.

jufonuk

not tag worthy

They're all insane.

Think the markets are in turmoil now? We ain't seen nothing if that red button is pressed.

I was in Paris last Friday (that was fun...), and Travelex machines were straight refusing UK cards, so plan accordingly if you think you'll need cash.

Seeing as they have no one to talk to. They might get some old lady off the street to chat.

I wish I had these crazy pills the leavers are on.

Feel like the longer this goes in the more sweary the BBC will become.

Engell

Don't worry the EU will push the button for you if this issue isn't resolved very soon
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-%2f%2fEP%2f%2fNONSGML%2bMOTION%2bB8-2016-0838%2b0%2bDOC%2bPDF%2bV0%2f%2fEN

Warns that in order to prevent damaging uncertainty for everyone and to protect the
Union’s integrity, the notification stipulated in Article 50 TEU must take place immediately;
consequently asks the UK Prime Minister to notify the outcome of the
referendum to the European Council of 28-29June; this notification will launch the
withdrawal procedure;

Micael

If I go to France this summer will I get lynched? I wantd to stay

It's fine Colonial empires have a long proud tradition of making decisions that screw everyone around us, so this is hardly a first.
Also you can all look on the bright side even with the £ tanking Portugal economy is still really weak, so vacations here are cheap.

Tak3n

Banned
Sky News panelist

his sources tell him that Cameron told all whitehall depts they were not to prepare any brexit plan as it would go against his message of what would happen if we left...

also he feels Boris will try to avoid a leaders election and tell MP's he will win if it goes to members, and will hope to get enough MP's onside to do a coronation...though he may not get enough

PJV3

But legally he didn't need to dither - he didn't need to call an election at all. The mood was he didn't have the mandate to govern - the people voted for Blair (yes I know we vote for the party not the person in our constituency system, however).

We're in the exact same territory again - Cameron had the mandate to call the referendum and then act according to the will of the people. Instead he choose to fuck of.

I know, but it was being built up by his team as being announced, he never seemed to recover. The only thing with Boris is he hasn't held a proper Cabinet job and would need authority.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Sky News panelist

his sources tell him that Cameron told all whitehall depts they were not to prepare any brexit plan as it would go against his message of what would happen if we left...

also he feels Boris will try to avoid a leaders election and tell MP's he will win if it goes to members, and will hope to get enough MP's onside to do a coronation...though he may not get enough

MPs can't crown him, though - you can self-nominate for the Tory election process and so all it takes is one sufficiently pissed off ABBer to get things going.

Sky News panelist

Please be Boris, will speed Scotlands exit from the UK like never before.... pleeeasssseeee do it for us Tory party, you owe us that after the poll tax farce.

Corto

This will presumably lead to a push for rapid, closer political union. It was mostly the UK among the larger economies that was against that, and the smaller countries don't have a loud enough voice to counter a push by Germany, France and Italy.

That's a huge risk though. We in Portugal had today a news running through media that the Commission was going to recommend sanctions to Portugal and Spain due to last year Deficit breaches. One of the left wing populist parties that supports the current minority government will then vote for a referendum to leave the eurozone. Spain doesn't have a government yet and this will disturb even more the formation of a coalition to govern Spain. I'm sure there is a very real temptation to speed up the integration process, or even force a refoundation of EU with some different conditions and perhaps even different number of members, but that will be the death knell of the EU. We don't need more Integration at the moment, we need better integration. European people need to have a material and more direct representation in the EU. We need to know what happens in the EU Parliament, what our representatives are legislating there, there needs to be more direct accountability and information through our national institutions.

Hasney

https://twitter.com/mrmirth/status/747358646141489152

Read the replies from the user "Brexit4LibertyUK". Good god.

Doesn't understand why Universities are now losing EU funding.

EU asset stripping.... Hoo boy.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mattkmoore/status/747368294823378944

What the fuck were these idiots thinking... buyers remorse.... sigh.

Jesus, this reply. Savage:

@mattkmoore when you consider he still has no remorse over Hillsborough that's quite a statement

https://mobile.twitter.com/L_EToffee/status/747369786523385856

Ashes

Banned
Alright this is just painful to read..the whole brexit stuff has done it wrong on both sides but also both sides on the voters but you can thank the media also for it for all the wrong messages and fear mongering but also two things to vote in not a proper way. They handled it all poorly and these are the results we see now.

It wasn't the poor who voted in the Tories who had this explicitly in their manifesto - all those people sleepwalked into this. On the balance of it, the middle classes were by their inaction okay with screwing the poor, and going hungry.

owasog

Everybody's probably waiting for the £ to bottom out.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
The "we can pull through, we're British!" rallying cries are just pitiful, as though there's some magical quality to this island that protects it from harm.

Hasney

It wasn't the poor who voted in the Tories who had this explicitly in their manifesto - all those people sleepwalked into this. On the balance of it, the middle classes were by their inaction okay with screwing the poor, and going hungry.

While I agree with the sentiment, the poorer areas have been voting for Tories in increasing numbers to clamp down on benefit cheating and keep their own personal taxes down and probably some for the referendum too.

Joshua Topolsky's podcast on Brexit, quite interesting:

Oh Britain, what have you done? No, seriously, what have you done...? Because not only does this "Brexit" stuff not make any political sense, but your friends across the pond are still a bit fuzzy on the details.

To get to the bottom of all this, Josh enlisted Felix Salmon, one of the UK's finest, host of Slate's Money podcast, and a Senior Editor at Fusion, to explain all of this to us as best he can. Why would anyone do this? Why was any of this even on the table? Is this whole thing legally binding? Will Scotland and Northern Ireland leave the UK in the dust? Can Americans finally feel superior to the Brits for the first time in decades?

In Episode 59, Felix helps us find as many answers as any person can on this sloppy, sloppy planet.

https://soundcloud.com/tomorrowpodcast/episode-59-felix-salmon-explains-the-brexit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom