• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faddy

Banned
Carswell on TV saying informal negotiations should start to protect passporting for UK banks, doh does he live in a cave, not a chance we keep our banks passporting.

Why would the EU pre-negotiate? Either invoke article 50 and get the process started or the EU should continue as usual.

In the 2014 Scottish Referendum the UK government wouldn't even ask for advice from the EU commission on Scotland's status within the EU if Yes had won

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-20164826

"We are clear that we are not pre-negotiating the terms of separation from the UK ahead of the referendum. It is the Scottish government's policy on independence which is causing this uncertainty and they should be prepared to deal with the many questions it raises."

The EU will take the same route of not negotiating until the UK formally declares to Leave the EU

jufonuk

not tag worthy
There has to be a legit conspiracy theory going on about this, please tell me there is a master plan behind the scenes .

.not right nation calls me a pig fucker . I'll fuck you . Little piggies

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Bob Blackman (MP) on radio 5 (just now)

There will be no GE due to fixed parliament act....takes 2/3rds to do a motion of no confidence to overrule the act

No appetite in country for a general election

oh, *that* requires a 2/3 majority does it?

No, he's wrong.

It needs either a 2/3rds majority or a motion of no confidence (by simple majority that remains unchallenged for two weeks).

StayDead

No appetite in country for a general election

I hate this expression. Yes there is you complete and utter bellends. Stop acting as if you know what people want.

It's the same as BoJo saying there's no appetite for indyref2 at the moment. Is he dense?

You only need 50% +1 MPs to repeal the Fixed Term Parliament Act; once you've repealed it the Prime Minister can ask the Queen to dissolve parliament as per normal.

They won't need to repeal the act. There's provision without a vote no confidence, and under the circumstance, they'd easily pull together the required votes to pass it.

Personally I think it'd a be a brave (possibly foolish) incoming Tory PM that doesn't ask for permission to take this to the country first.

As for no appetite - the impartial Beeb of all places has asked the question with every interview.

I think it's the obvious, expected, next step. Brown got demolished for not going back to the people when he took over from Blair.

Majine

Banned
Bx7S6hi.jpg

bryanee

Yeah I'm off to France on Thursday. Luckily travel and accommodation were booked when rates were good, but I got utterly screwed on currency because I only bought my travel money today.

My sister is off to Lanzarote next week and is yet to change her currency into Euro.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
They won't need to repeal the act. There's provision without a vote no confidence, and under the circumstance, they'd easily pull together the required votes to pass it.

Personally I think it'd a be a brave (possibly foolish) incoming Tory PM that doesn't ask for permission to take this to the country first.

As for no appetite - the impartial Beeb of all places has asked the question with every interview.

I think it's the obvious, expected, next step. Brown got demolished for not going back to the people when he took over from Blair.

I don't think the Conservatives will no-confidence their own government; it just looks bad. Both a VoNC and repealing the FTPA require 50% +1 of MPs, so they'll just do the latter, makes no difference.

Open external borders. Big difference. Only UK has EU migration big enough to make any dent and even there any sensible people can see how beneficial it has been.

What's causing the rise of right wing extremism is the uncontrolled migration from outside of the EU, mostly of people with barely any education and with radically different culture, who will never integrate and likely never stop being a drain on national budgets, not to mention lead to big raise of crime levels.

It's funny because what you're describing is continental optics. Where a polish or Hungarian far righter will say "we have way too many of these middle Eastern Europe guys, fucking EU, man", their English counterpart will say "we have way too many of these Eastern European guys, fucking EU, man".
You're always someone's dirty, threatening foreigner. Except if you're Swiss I guess.

Faddy

Banned
No, he's wrong.

It needs either a 2/3rds majority or a motion of no confidence (by simple majority that remains unchallenged for two weeks).

Or they could repeal the act altogether but then it would need to pass the Lords.

More likely if the Tories want an election no one should stop them.

PJV3

Brown dithered, almost called it and backed off and then he started to look weak.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I'm just at the point with it where I want someone to hit the nuclear button and trigger Art50 at least we'll know where we are, for a bit
I dunno, that's a bit like being lost at sea in a boat and eating all your supplies in one day so that at least you know how long you've got left.

Ashes

Banned
If 70% of Labour voted Remain, Scotland voted Remain, and Northern Ireand voted Remain, and the Tories serve the middle classes, who voted Leave?

I don't think the Conservatives will no-confidence their own government; it just looks bad. Both a VoNC and repealing the FTPA require 50% +1 of MPs, so they'll just do the latter, makes no difference.

Again, no need for a vote of no confidence. They just ask parliament to vote on an early election. Not doing it could trigger a vote of no confidence from the opposition. Repealing the act makes no sense, cant see them getting the votes for that.

Par Score

The Fixed Term Parliaments Act was only ever intended as a bit of political sophistry, carrying no actual weight and with no legal force. A bone thrown to quiet down some political undesirables who were making a racket.

Much like this referendum as it happens.

Erm... it was the movement of EU citizens to this country that got people all hot under the collar.

Labour saying they underestimated the number of Polish that were coming in.

Blame the non-existent Muslim invasion though.

Maledict

I hate this expression. Yes there is you complete and utter bellends. Stop acting as if you know what people want.

It's the same as BoJo saying there's no appetite for indyref2 at the moment. Is he dense?

Actually, weirdly, the polls seem to only be showing a small rise in support for Indy2 right now. I'm not sure I believe it actually, but those are the results we are seeing. I think it will strongly rise as this mess unfolds mind you.

If 70% of Labour voted Remain, Scotland voted Remain, and Northern Island voted Remain, and the Tories serve the middle classes, who voted Leave?

The non middle class tories, unionists in NI, the whole of ukip and some stragglers from other parties including Labour in the North, and every far right cunt.

backstep

Neo Member
Nice to see such a wide range of views on here as usual.

If anyone is interested in how the EU itself may evolve following the UK's exit, there was an interesting policy document posted on the German foreign office website. It's described as a "Joint contribution by the French Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault and Federal Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier".

A strong Europe in a world of uncertainties.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
If 70% of Labour voted Remain, Scotland voted Remain, and Northern Ireand voted Remain, and the Tories serve the middle classes, who voted Leave?

The fucked over masses outside of London . Who never got a voice . Tbh they been struggling to be heard and now all the news is reporting is the banks banks banks.
I don't think in the long run bankers will be out of a job for long . The rest of us could be

Micael

Thinking of buying a jacket or some airsoft stuff from ASMC.de, glad to know my purchases will become more expensive.

If it's of any comfort to people living in the UK, please do know that for the rest of the EU countries things also got more expensive, well unless we are buying in the UK.

Actually, weirdly, the polls seem to only be showing a small rise in support for Indy2 right now. I'm not sure I believe it actually, but those are the results we are seeing. I think it will strongly rise as this mess unfolds mind you.

Swing of ten percent with nowt happening, just wait until folk hear westminster saying "so fuck if you voted to remai, we do not give a shit...."

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

If anyone is interested in how the EU itself may evolve following the UK's exit, there was an interesting policy document posted on the German foreign office website. It's described as a "Joint contribution by the French Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault and Federal Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier".

One of most frustrating things here is that after all the UK's stalling while being a member of the EU, it seems like our exit might be the kick that actually gets the reforms that many of the Remainers wanted passed.

Brown dithered, almost called it and backed off and then he started to look weak.

But legally he didn't need to dither - he didn't need to call an election at all. The mood was he didn't have the mandate to govern - the people voted for Blair (yes I know we vote for the party not the person in our constituency system, however).

We're in the exact same territory again - Cameron had the mandate to call the referendum and then act according to the will of the people. Instead he choose to fuck of.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

This will presumably lead to a push for rapid, closer political union. It was mostly the UK among the larger economies that was against that, and the smaller countries don't have a loud enough voice to counter a push by Germany, France and Italy.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
If it's of any comfort to people living in the UK, please do know that for the rest of the EU countries things also got more expensive, well unless we are buying in the UK.

If I go to France this summer will I get lynched? I wantd to stay

Hazzuh

This will presumably lead to a push for rapid, closer political union. It was mostly the UK among the larger economies that was against that, and the smaller countries don't have a loud enough voice to counter a push by Germany, France and Italy.

A bunch of smaller countries feeling disaffected doesn't really strike me as a move in the right direction for the EU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom