• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHoot

I'm kinda laughing cuz everytime they go "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" it feels like i'm watching a fighting game tournament with my friends

(or are they saying "hear")

So let's see. Cameron isn't going to pull the trigger on Article 50. The Tories need to elect a new leader. Presumably this will be Boris Johnson. It could also be Theresa May (would she pull the trigger?). If he's elected leader, can he command the confidence of the house?* I would think not - Labour might not be united by much, but they're united in how much they hate Johnson; the SNP and the Lib Dems etc. will obviously vote against him. A few Tory enemies - and he has more than a few - and he'll need to win an election before doing anything. At that General Election, Boris would campaign on a Brexit manifesto, but the Lib Dems and the SNP would be dead against it. If Labour can do just a bit better than they did under Miliband, they can stop him landing an overall majority and kill Brexit for good. If they want to. But who knows what Corbyn wants to do? Heck, who knows if Corbyn will even lead Labour into that election? And would UKIP run rampant in the north if Labour ran on an anti-Brexit manifesto?

*And yes, Parliament has a veto over the triggering of Article 50. At least according to these constitutional lawyers.

Engell

was a bit bored, so i made this..
LDmHags.jpg

sorry for the horrible editing. from the game "we happy few"

Steel

Banned
Didn't he say:

plebiscite
ˈplɛbɪsʌɪt,-sɪt/
noun
the direct vote of all the members of an electorate on an important public question such as a change in the constitution.
synonyms: vote, referendum, ballot, poll

Intentional double meaning probably but still...

Huh. Learned a new word.

Zaph

All of Cameron's answers are non answer.

When do we begin? "That is a question for the next leadership"

What about the single market? "That is a question for the next leadership"

Sugar in your tea? " "That is a question for the ne... one please"

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like Cameron wants to drag triggering article 50 until new trade deals are in place, am I getting this right?

Hazzuh

The political class have nothing to say for the next few months. We simply have to sit here until the tories elect a new leader and call an election.

PJV3

Dave is going he isn't going to face a feral Farage or his party base. Backtracking if it happens isn't his problem

Zaph

EEA requires all the same laws we always implemented plus freedom of movement, so it would be a sad and hilarious outcome.

So the most likely one. Great.

The political class have nothing to say for the next few months. We simply have to sit here until the tories elect a new leader and call an election.

"We need some time with our asset managers to insulate our.... errr, I mean we are taking the time to find the best leadership for this new chapter"

Maybe they should make Cameron do a Walk of Shame, Game of Thrones style, he caused all this mess in the first place and he should really be held accountable for it. He can't even stick around to clean up his own mess, what a coward he really is.

nOoblet16

How different is EEA to what we have now because it sounds more like a status in the EU change rather than...practical effects?

1) Still the same freedom of movement (actually slightly looser as there won't be any passport checks at Eurostar, the tunnel, the ferry at Dover...plus travelling to EU via flight using just a driver's license instead of passport would be possible)
2) Still pay EU to access single market

BUT

1) Have to follow all of EU's regulation with no voting/veto rights/no place in EU parliament
2) No funding from EU for city building etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom