• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Rex.

Banned
How different is EEA to what we have now because it sounds more like a status in the EU change rather than...practical effects?
My understanding is it'll be exactly the same as it is now (in terms of money paid in, freedom of movement etc) except we'll actually have no say on EU regulation whereas we currently do and like to pretend we don't.

Hazzuh

I'm a physics grad student and everyone I know is incredibly worried. Lots of people get the majority of their funding from EU bodies.

Shito

How different is EEA to what we have now because it sounds more like a status in the EU change rather than...practical effects?
Have to pay the same, don't get the same benefits, can't vote the laws to abide to even less so veto them, open borders.

ie: the "ironic" effects

1) Still the same freedom of movement
2) Still pay EU to access single market

BUT

1) Have to follow all of EU's regulation with no voting/veto rights
2) No funding from EU for city building etc

My understanding is it'll be exactly the same as it is now (in terms of money paid in, freedom of movement etc) except we'll actually have no say on EU laws whereas we currently do and like to pretend we don't.

Oh.

Somethingsomething "you played yourself" .gif

So what are the realistic chances that Ireland is unified, Scotland is independent (or form a Gaelic Union with Northern Ireland), and London becomes an independent city-state if the UK actually leaves the EU?

Zaph

Country is going to shit and old white lady uses her one question to the PM to assure everyone they're not racist.

Fuck off

Par Score

When do we begin? "That is a question for the next leadership"

What about the single market? "That is a question for the next leadership"

Sugar in your tea? " "That is a question for the ne... one please"

As I said, until the Tories sort themselves out, we don't have a government and nothing will happen.

3 months minimum of waffle and chaos.

Mr. Sam

1) Still the same freedom of movement (actually slightly looser as there won't be any passport checks at Eurostar, the tunnel, the ferry at Dover...plus travelling to EU via flight using just a driver's license instead of passport would be possible)
2) Still pay EU to access single market

BUT

1) Have to follow all of EU's regulation with no voting/veto rights/no place in EU parliament
2) No funding from EU for city building etc

I knew this already but BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

gg wp

And in simple terms, that's what a lot of leavers wanted.

But they won't be getting it, really.

Sovereignty seems to have been interpreted, broadly, as 'we make our own rules, 100% of the time'. Nothing you ever do anymore is like that. EEA won't be like that. We'll have less power because we threw a hissy fit over the issue of sovereignty and in all likelihood lost some. That's only if we go EEA, of course.

Calabi

It does feel like they are setting it up to fail somehow. They have all these demands, access to single market, to still be a world player, to continue investment in science etc. None of the assurances they want can be assured.

Maybe not setting up for another referendum, but setting up for a way out and to say that to leave would not be in the best interests of the UK and here is why.

Hazzuh

So what are the realistic chances that Ireland is unified, Scotland is independent (or form a Gaelic Union with Northern Ireland), and London becomes an independent city-state if the UK actually leaves the EU?

Scottish independence seems likely, NI uniting with Ireland is very unlikely IMO and no chance of independence for London lol.

pigeon

Banned
What's the general message here, then?

I agree that it's important to have a general message and definitely parliament and the new government will want to determine what the general message should be in the coming months, but I definitely agree that a general message is wanted.

Khoryos

Can Scotland and Ireland just get together to kick England and Wales out of the UK? We can be a new country, with no EU membership, and they get to keep it.

(Then I get to move back to my ancestral home)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom