• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone feeling positive yet or are some still raw?

Still raw but strangely energized. I joined the Lib Dems after the last GE and this has motivated me to get involve with them again, go to meetings, etc.

There's still a lot of anger and worry but I'm now at the point where I'm starting to redirect that energy into something more productive, hopefully.

Furyous

Yeah the societal and cultural effects of Brexit are going to be bad. Britain will be worse off culturally. What foreigner is going to want to work or study in the UK after seeing all of this shit?
17 million people want to see this country regress and it's happening.

I just applied for a job out there... Now I'm scared because if they offer me a position then I have to deal with this. The fear factors are a mixed drink of:

Their economy is crashing.
Racists are attacking people in public.
The overall culture seems hostile to anyone not white and born in Britain.
The impact on education has yet to fully hit as riots could occur once students lose aid.
Corporations are leaving as businesses begin to fold.
Wait until the IMF comes through with their "recommendations" on how to fix Britain's economy

Bear in mind this happened in less than a week so imagine how Britain looks in a year. That audio clip of that German woman is disheartening and possibly gives corporations based in Britain the push to leave. In American terms, this looks like some dystopian future where Trump wins.

Hasney

Still raw but strangely energized. I joined the Lib Dems after the last GE and this has motivated me to get involve with them again, go to meetings, etc.

There's still a lot of anger and worry but I'm now at the point where I'm starting to redirect that energy into something more productive, hopefully.

Exactly my position. The anger just seems to be fuelling me.

Audioboxer

What did she say?

--

edit! "We give the first minister our support to do everything she can to secure Scotland's place in the EU." ie, Fuck you Davidson.

Good, but they pretty much have to as Labour is dead up here. Tactically the best thing they can do is appeal to SNP voters and try to rebuild.

Bring stubborn like Ruth will get you nowhere serious with the Scottish people. We aren't London up here.

Mass One

What did she say?

--

edit! "We give the first minister our support to do everything she can to secure Scotland's place in the EU." ie, Fuck you Davidson.

I could've sworn she just said "Hey remember when you and the Tory party said you keep Scotland in the EU, How's that going now?"

CmCrKstWMAALFgO.jpg

Here we go.

Although a few days old.

erlR8Yg.gif

Enjoyed Kezia's dogwhistle line. Needs saying, and saying often.

EDIT: And the going full in on the Tories.

EGM1966

It's really becoming clear how horribly informed most people were about this referendum and how few really even understand the process or what's going on.

My favourite at the moment is civil servants being bombarded with calls/emails from angry leave voters demanding to know why websites haven't been updated to have all EU laws/regulations removed.

Amazing people actually thought a leave win meant by Monday morning we're out and all laws revert back to UK former status. A lot of people are in for a long and protracted rude awakening it seems.

The referendum continues to feel invalidated for me. Too many of those who voted (probably on either side) clearly were not sufficiently educated or aware to what they were voting for and what it actually, really meant. It's looking more and more like a farce with every new wrinkle in twist that emerges post result.

pootle

How Brexit has fucked me- one person's story.

I'm unemployed at the moment. Been looking for a job and saw one that looked perfect for me.

A phone interview and two in person interviews later and it's all looking good. We are spending more and more time discussing my transferrable skills and experience and the role seems to be expanding to fit what I can bring.

I haven't been offered anything yet but I am hopeful and excited. And relieved!

Just had a phone call and a confirming email. Due to the current situation no expansion in the company and no new hires "for the forseeable future".

The HR guy thanked me for my time and I thanked him for his.

Fuck.

Just fuck everything.

I'm gonna have to get back on the horse and start looking for something else, but not today. Maybe not this week.

Anybody hears about any jobs going around Glasgow give me a shout, will you.

klonere

Banned
Rupert Murdoch has called the British vote to leave the EU “wonderful” and described Donald Trump a “very able man” in remarks made in London on Tuesday.

HATE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE RUPERT MURDOCH SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR RUPERT MURDOCH AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT. HATE. HATE.

I'm unemployed at the moment. Been looking for a job and saw one that looked perfect for me.

A phone interview and two in person interviews later and it's all looking good. We are spending more and more time discussing my transferrable skills and experience and the role seems to be expanding to fit what I can bring.

Just had a phone call and a confirming email. Due to the current situation no expansion in the company and no new hires "for the forseeable future".

Fuck.

Just fuck everything.

I'm gonna have to get back on the horse and start looking for something else, but not today. Maybe not this week.

God damn thats so sad, sorry to hear that, hopefully something comes along for you asap.

It's really becoming clear how horribly informed most people were about this referendum and how few really even understand the process or what's going on.

My favourite at the moment is civil servants being bombarded with calls/emails from angry leave voters demanding to know why websites haven't been updated to have all EU laws/regulations removed.

Amazing people actually thought a leave win meant by Monday morning we're out and all laws revert back to UK former status. A lot of people are in for a long and protracted rude awakening it seems.

The referendum continues to feel invalidated for me. Too many of those who voted (probably on either side) clearly were not sufficiently educated or aware to what they were voting for and what it actually, really meant. It's looking more and more like a farce with every new wrinkle in twist that emerges post result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxyzeWBKb9Q

I just applied for a job out there... Now I'm scared because if they offer me a position then I have to deal with this. The fear factors are a mixed drink of:

Their economy is crashing.
Racists are attacking people in public.
The overall culture seems hostile to anyone not white and born in Britain.
The impact on education has yet to fully hit as riots could occur once students lose aid.
Corporations are leaving as businesses begin to fold.
Wait until the IMF comes through with their "recommendations" on how to fix Britain's economy

Bear in mind this happened in less than a week so imagine how Britain looks in a year. That audio clip of that German woman is disheartening and possibly gives corporations based in Britain the push to leave. In American terms, this looks like some dystopian future where Trump wins.

Don't believe everything you read on GAF. The majority of British people are not about to start attacking people in the street. This is still a pretty safe place. I'm not sure where you are planning on moving to, but London is still as multicultural as it was on Wednesday.

These are very early days and the markets are always volatile to change. The sky isn't falling in just yet.

EGM1966

CmCrKstWMAALFgO.jpg

Here we go.

Although a few days old.

Conservatives if you need to ask.
The really ironic element for me is this kind of response makes it easier for the people he wants to combat to achieve their means. It's baffling to me the lack of IQ shown by so many people like this.

klonere

Banned

Fuck.

Just fuck everything.

BLvkHbg.gif

That sucks man :( I remember the agony of finding a job, it really is the dirt worst. Hope you find something.

No, they're the only ones. Tories and Labour have to get their own houses in order first and Greens have talked about respecting the will of the people.

Of course, somewhat understandable. Still typically infuriating to have racist incidents or Farage selling the country down the shitter while collecting a fat paycheque while biting the hand that feeds him...and, this feels SO different to a General Election but without anyone to speak up for the concerns of the Vote Remainers while Vote Leave spout bile and pat themselves on their back for ruining things for half the country...

I think...i think, I'm a member of Labour (I get emails all the time) but I'd actually be kinda tempted to join Conservatives and vote for H(c)unt because his idea of putting a plan to the british people seems very logical and...fair, I guess? I mean it's not like people didn't know what would happen but they couldn't be arsed to educate themselves or get over prejudices.

Of course Leave could win again, or there could be a vastly lower turnout and things could be skewed but at the end of the day no one, Leave or Remain, will prosper but Farage and Johnson will still be fine and underfunded areas will remain underfunded. After the way Farage treated his fellow MEPs with such utter contempt I feel sorry for anyone in Vote Leave because one of the leading figures is such a despicable human being.

As bad as the Tories were at least you kinda knew where Cameron stood.

Everyone feeling positive yet or are some still raw?

More positive but raw in some aspects (see above)...but really just waiting and seeing because apart from countering racism or making people aware of the facts, or spamming Chris Grayling, not really a ton more that can be done at the moment other than to get on with life and waste days on Gaf

Don't believe everything you read on GAF. The majority of British people are not about to start attacking people in the street. This is still a pretty safe place. I'm not sure where you are planning on moving to, but London is still as multicultural as it was on Wednesday.

These are very early days and the markets are always volatile to change. The sky isn't falling in just yet.

Aye, it's not all doom and gloom. It's just an unecessary and stupid gamble that looks like it will not pay off very well for most of us.

pootle

Thanks guys. It's just that this is affecting people NOW, already.

I can't stand this whole "there's no rush, everything's fine" pish.

oti

Banned
The most frustrating thing for me is how everything around them is on fire and yet the politicians engage in power struggles within their parties. I get why it's happening, there was no plan after all *try not to cry* but come on. I don't care about the Labour people planning a coup, I don't care about Cameron playing games, just get your damn act together.

HATE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE RUPERT MURDOCH SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR RUPERT MURDOCH AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT. HATE. HATE.

That's because he's a brazen insufferable cunt with the power and means to influence millions with his drivel. He's walking evidence of how karma isn't a thing. I hate the zombified-looking little fucker as well.

Too many of those who voted (probably on either side) clearly were not sufficiently educated or aware to what they were voting for and what it actually, really meant.
Remainers clearly knew the EU provides the UK with economic benefits. Leavers believed it did not.

Only one side made outrageous lies to sway people to it, knowing full well they were full of shit, so let's not say "both sides are bad" here.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
What did she say?

--

edit! "We give the first minister our support to do everything she can to secure Scotland's place in the EU." ie, Fuck you Davidson. Knives out!

Scottish Labour looking like they're back on our side? I'll say it again, game changer.

BadHand

Trump and brexit. Two things that have and will continue to produce lots of media.

MrHoot

listening to the scottish side at least makes me calmer as they seem much more united, or calm at least while still looking forward for solutions.

I do hope the future of scotland will be bright !

The main reason i voted no in 2014 was because i was scared we would lose our EU membership, i am ashamed i voted no now, utterly ashamed i was so foolish and gullible. My nephew who voted no was in tears on Friday morning, i hope Davidson and her chums remember who broke up the union because its surely coming now.
I voted 'yes' because I knew 'no' would doom us to being dragged along by england's voting on things in general, the looming thing at the time being a Tory Government :p

The overall culture seems hostile to anyone not white and born in Britain..
They may have got rowdy and loud recently, but they're still few. Most people are civil and the jerks you saw in those vids people linked are usually obnoxious assholes to everyone anyway, they're just currently distracted by 'patriotism' or whatever the heck they think it is they're doing. That doesn't make them being like that acceptable of course.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Do people not understand that you the EU has representatives from every country which are voted in by the people?

Oh. Only 35,6% of the UK's population voted last time. I guess they uh, generally don't know that then, maybe? :lol.

Some of those twats in Brussels are there by your own volition!

StayDead

Fuck.

Just fuck everything.

That sucks man :(

pootle

How exactly? Aside from the markets going nuts, nothing has changed yet.

Written by me. 15 minutes ago.

Fuck.

Just fuck everything.

Nordicus

Do people not understand that you the EU has representatives from every country which are voted in by the people?

Oh. Only 35,6% of the UK's population voted last time. I guess they uh, generally don't know that then, maybe? :lol.

One of them being Good Ol' Farage

Ashes

Banned

Considering I live and work in the City [not financial] and live in Tower Hamlets [Canary Wharf as well as the one of the poorest boroughs in the country], and am my self living amongst an abundance of European nationals [ far more so than the rest of the country], and I assure you things have changed more in three days than have done in all my life.

Hasney

I've had friends lose jobs and the funding for my girlfriends university for study abroad has been pulled making her distraught and me pretty fucked off as we were going to go to Iceland.

Things are not OK for everyone, businesses need to prepare for shit hitting the fan when we finally get around to leaving. Everything is not OK for some of us.

This is where the particularly bitter irony of the 'Leave as protest' vote comes in.

People feel disaffected and uncared for. Low turn-out at General Election.

People feel disaffected and uncared for. Much greater turnout at Referendum.

Which institution, ultimately, has more effect on their lives, 98% of the time? Westminster or Brussels?

Sounds like some of y'all need to taste from the Unity™ cup.

But seriously, everyone okay job wise? I haven't read the thread since my ban. Tak3n still desperately trying to validate his vote to leave by clinging to nonsensical news stories?

To make it about me for a moment, things are picking up pace with the move at work. Lots of anger at the political instability more than anything else.

Someone had a mini breakdown after a rumour spread that people would start to be let go soon, which was all kinds of fucked up. No layoffs yet, not sure where the rumour came from, but people are on edge like I've never seen.

Tak3n

Banned
Sky News

Boris Johnson has sewn up 100 MP's all ready for his leadership bid, most if not all MP's are expecting it to be Boris and Teresa May as the final 2

Also Boris Johnsons team are rowing back on his quite liberal paper column, and they understand he got a mandate to reduce migration, even though he himself is quite liberal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom