• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, when he says something like this:

He seems to be one of the few talking vague sense. Which is a world gone topsyturvy.

EU citizens currently in the UK have a right to remain under the Vienna convention, so the pledge Hunt is making is meaningless. It just falsely makes him seem reasonable /nice when in reality we have no choice in the matter.

Rot. What happened in Greece was horrendous. This is not a black and white issue, though, which is why we're all so fucking furious.

"Rot"... lol that's very open minded of you indeed.

I feel like I'm reading a tabloid when I'm reading some people's posts because their reaction is a knee jerk reaction, purely emotional. Scaremongering page after page. You said it yourself: you're "so fucking furious".

For what it's worth, I don't think Brexit will even happen.

Ashes

Banned
The same experts who said this result will never happen, yet the fact is it did. See facts are good!

The same? the pollsters and the betters gave it roughly 50-50. But to say these are the same experts is really unfair. You have professors on one side and pollsters on the other who were pretty close to the margin of error.

Metal B

The EU may impose or threaten sanctions, but not this year, probably not until next year at the earliest. More than enough time for the public to change their mind. People seem to believe that the EU are ok with the UK leaving. If there is even a slight chance the UK might remain then the EU are going to court it.
This would mean, you leave the stock market in complete uncearrty, which will make thinks worse for the EU. They want a clear answer soon and start healing again.

You are confusing the EU with the euro. Greece was already a member of the EU.
You're right, but my point still stance.

AHA-Lambda

Davidson pledging support for scottish governemnt to discuss with UK government and devolved administrations, but makes no mention of talks with EU members >_>

edit: yeah sturgeon doesn't look impressed at her

Audioboxer

Sturgeon throwing shit at Scottish tories :)

Don't think I can handle the next 12 months of everything being "buy indyref2 is going to destroy our union!".

Get rekt, for once even the nationalists up here have a very valid reason to get to fuck out of the UK. Leaving the EU with the "leaders" we have down south is going to destroy us.

stay gold

Your prediction depends on politicians doing something completely against their nature. Trying not to save their own skin.

Article 50 wasn't triggered by Cameron because the ref is not the final decision. The PM still has the option to veto the decision. The painting is on all the walls at the point, the ref was a bad decision and so was voting leave. No PM wants to be the person to trigger this, because they will ultimately be the one blamed for the consequences of this.

As a PM in this position, I would push off triggering Article 50 for as long as possible and wait for the public to make my decision for me. If the majority becomes Remain and I think it will, the PM will get an out. Veto the decision of the ref and bring things back to pre-ref situation as close as possible.

The EU may impose or threaten sanctions, but not this year, probably not until next year at the earliest. More than enough time for the public to change their mind. People seem to believe that the EU are ok with the UK leaving. If there is even a slight chance the UK might remain then the EU are going to court it.

It's mind blowing to think they could actually act on such a trashy referendum. There absolutely must be a second one a little further down the line that actually attempts to educate people on what they're doing, something like;

Option A: Remain in EU

Option B: Maintain stance to leave EU accepting <likely deal with EU> and the effects it will have on you.

Im not a huge politics buff so maybe im naïve and/or clueless, but surely when it comes down to it they can't knowingly destroy the country on the back of lies, racism and thick people.

Ashes

Banned
Im not a huge politics buff so maybe im naïve and/or clueless, but surely when it comes down to it they can't knowingly destroy the country on the back of lies, racism and thick people.

There is a large portion of the nation who would bring back the death penalty. I'm beginning to think that maybe anti-immigration was one of those populist views that should not be tolerated.

It's mind blowing to think they could actually act on such a trashy referendum. There absolutely must be a second one a little further down the line that actually attempts to educate people on what they're doing, something like;

Option A: Remain in EU

Option B: Maintain stance to leave EU accepting <likely deal with EU> and the effects it will have on you.

The government are adamant on following through with it. I have no idea why as everything you said makes logical sense but logic has gone straight out the window this year.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Them slapping their tables instead of clapping is kind of cool, lol. Sort of how we knock on our tables at university when a lecture ends instead of applause.

dumbo

AFAICT:
- if the UK does not trigger article 50, then the EU will get increasingly peeved. As you say, I'm not sure if the EU can do anything about it, but our relationships will become "strained".
- if the UK chooses to cancel the referendum somehow, then the EU would accept it and move on. It removes the headache of the financial implications, some countries would be happier than others.
- if the UK triggers article 50, then the EU will do everything in their power to ensure that the UK leaves, and leaves quickly.

Mass One

I don't think I currently like this Ruth Davidson person. I don't see why Scotland has to ride the bus with passengers who cut the breaks.

yeah here we go, Davidson is indyref bashing now

She is just a plant for the Tory right, i bought her pro remain act but frankly everything since then indicates she is perfectly happy to let the Scots voice be ignored and accept her lies from 2014, as a NO voter, fuck off Davidson, i have had enough of you and your parties lies.

JoeM86

The government are adamant on following through with it. I have no idea why as everything you said makes logical sense but logic has gone straight out the window this year.

I don't think the government are adamant on following it through though. I've seen Cameron say we should, and obviously the leave campaigners say we should, but nothing that indicates that Parliament intends to 100% follow through.

Doopliss said:
Also cabinet minister Jeremy Hunt, writing in the Telegraph, said:

"Firstly we must not invoke Article 50 straight away because that puts a time limit of two years on negotiations after which we could be thrown out with no deal at all. So before setting the clock ticking, we need to negotiate a deal and put it to the British people, either in a referendum or through the Conservative manifesto at a fresh general election."

He is suggesting that a new arrangement can be negotiated with the EU first, though, which goes against what other members of the EU are saying.

In that instance, isn't Jeremy Hunt talking about a possible referendum on conditions of our deal with the EU, having already agreed to exit it? He talks in the sentence before that paragraph about being their "biggest non-EU trading partner."

When people talk about second referendum, the implication is another referendum on whether we should remain a member of the EU. That's what I'm saying isn't going to happen.

EDIT: Actually even if Hunt did become PM (highly doubtful) I don't think there will be a referendum on the conditions of our deal with the EU but that's just gut feeling.

"Rot"... lol that's very open minded of you indeed.

I feel like I'm reading a tabloid when I'm reading some people's posts because their reaction is a knee jerk reaction, purely emotional. Scaremongering page after page. You said it yourself: you're "so fucking furious".

For what it's worth, I don't think Brexit will even happen.

Disagreement =/= not being open minded. I can say your post was 'rot' because I considered it and decided it was... 'rot'. This is basic stuff, come on. Saying ' I guess it comes from people who listen to the news and then just parrot what they 've heard.' is as stupid as the shit you're apparently so pissed off by. Idiotic.

Yes, but 'fucking furious' =/= entirely knee-jerk or purely emotional. In fact in this case it's shorthand for being annoyed with emotionalism triumphing over all else, actually. If you actually read a lot of the posts rather than snootily saying them all to be nonsense (and then getting sniffy when someone confronts that), you'd see that. There's a lot of wailing - there's also a lot of discussion.

Crumpo

They should just call a GE and be done with it. Get a new mandate to leave. I won't be voting for my MP, that's for sure.

At least the certainty issue will be put to bed; the new PM pushes the button or says "soz EU, our bad lol" as the first order of business

Audioboxer

I don't think I currently like this Ruth Davidson person. I don't see why Scotland has to ride the bus with passengers who cut the breaks.

Because, Torries.

If she had a spine she'd back anything to keep us in the EU and prepare to be leader of an independent Tory Scotland party or something similar. However no, she's just another puppet for the Kings in London.

ss1

Neo Member
She is just a plant for the Tory right, i bought her pro remain act but frankly everything since then indicates she is perfectly happy to let the Scots voice be ignored and accept her lies from 2014, as a NO voter, fuck off Davidson, i have had enough of you and your parties lies.

I’m ashamed that my part of Aberdeenshire voted the Scottish Tories in...

Aki-at

Decades? That's really hard to say to be honest. We have bigger problems on the horizon than this EU vote.

If we go through with the results I just dont see how prosperous this country is going to be in any certainty.

We're cutting ourselves off from a major market and if we do still manage to retain that access, we've enabled racists to feel their views are indeed vindicated. Furthermore in this period we are going to have the Tory leadership in place that will continue perhaps even harsher austerity to counter the gradual lose of power London had over its continental rival.

There are a lot of complex issues but I just don't see us in a better position in the foreseeable future. Even if we ignore the result somehow it's going to lead to even more extreme anti establishment views and more open racism.

Audioboxer

She ran a smart campaign in the GE there essentially getting people to vote for the Ruth Davidson party rather than the Tory/Cameron party. It's tough times like these though that show true colours.

Hasney

A senior official within Whitehall told the BBC civil servants are having to spend time dealing with angry emails from members of the public informing them their website is out of date "because EU legislation has now been scrapped".

Whitehall departments are apparently considering placing messages on their websites to let users know nothing has legally changed yet following the UK's vote to leave the EU.

LMAO. Idiots.

The main reason i voted no in 2014 was because i was scared we would lose our EU membership, i am ashamed i voted no now, utterly ashamed i was so foolish and gullible. My nephew who voted no was in tears on Friday morning, i hope Davidson and her chums remember who broke up the union because its surely coming now.

Audioboxer

CmCrKstWMAALFgO.jpg

Here we go.

Although a few days old.

Conservatives if you need to ask.

Apart from Tim Farron is there any party leader who is actually standing up for the 49%?

I mean openly of course, considering the collective bricking it by some of the other more prominent MPs.

Hasney

Apart from Tim Farron is there any party leader who is actually standing up for the 49%?

I mean openly of course, considering the collective bricking it by some of the other more prominent MPs.

No, they're the only ones. Tories and Labour have to get their own houses in order first and Greens have talked about respecting the will of the people.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
CmCrKstWMAALFgO.jpg

Here we go.

Although a few days old.

Conservatives if you need to ask.
Someone post that nation ball comic where the EU tells the UK they're stronger together, then the UK leaves and immediately tells Scotland, Wales and Ireland they're stronger together.

(I'm serious, I can't find it any more but it keeps being relevant.)

Edit: lol, nice work, funkystudent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom