• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Unit

I just love the panic here and the end of the world claims. People trusting volatile markets as if it had any long term meaning. Can we at least wait a couple of months?

This%20is%20fine%20-%20COMIC%20CROPPED.jpg

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Probably. That's the problem. It's not exact. Plus people sometimes don't just vote for themselves (shock horror). They vote for their kids, grand-kids, etc. There's plenty of older people who voted to remain, who will be around to see the result of their choice.

Saying they should be disenfranchised purely because they didn't vote how you wanted is rather dangerous.

When did I say they should be disenfranchised 'because they didn't vote how I wanted'? I said that the argument is that they should lose the vote because they hold the larger, younger generation(s) hostage to a political future that they wont be alive to see.

There are other better solutions, such as making voting compulsory, but an age limit on voting--at least for some votes--makes a lot of sense to me.

Devil

Okay I'm leaving this dumb conversation. Maybe read some books about it like I did. I was just giving a hint.

But whatever.

You made this "discussion" dumb by just shouting stuff like "the EU is shit" without giving any sort of argument in your favour except of that you have studied and read a book. Your "hint" is a wiki article which consists of _different opinions_ on an arguable matter. You could have at least TRIED to name some arguments yourself, but no, you rather leave a discussion you never truly participated in.

Maybe start by explaining how this alleged democratic deficit has changed your life for the worse and why you rate these factors higher than the EU benefits....?!

StayDead

Is that why 75% voted to remain in the city? Cause they weren't particularly concerned?

The thing is all the European companies who live in London are going to move out. London is going to lose so many jobs because of this hence why London as an area voted 75% in.

SomTervo

The EU will treat us like shit and won't give us good deals because if they do it'll be an incentive for other EU states to leave.

For the next few years, no matter what we do, our future is going to be a giant gamble. We could be the most industrious nation ever but if everyone can buy from EU states cheaper and trade easier, I can't see many companies willing to take the risk to remain in the UK.

This was a ridiculously bad idea.

I'm now all for an Independent Scotland vote when I wasn't before and I can say with confidence that Scotland will likely leave the UK.

The United Kingdom has a very, very, very good chance to be dissolved in the coming years and at no point would I say that was the right course.

Goddamn painful truth here

It's what Betty would have wanted, were he in power

When you fight for it in Thunderdome.

*Note to self : establish thunderdome*

Conan-san
(Today, 08:54 AM)

BigDes

In a way all this chaos orginated from Daraa syria. If people did something to stop the massive influx of syrians running from barrel bombs from the assad regime, britian wouldnt be in this situation.

In the end, obama's policy of containment rather than solving the syrian crisis has led to america's closest ally leaving the union. The world is lucky barack obama was not the president of the united states during the 90s. Otherwise we would be having bosnian and kosovo refugees as well

You're trying to Thanks, Obama this? Really?

daveo42

Banned
I can´t wait for the UK to crawl back to the EU in a couple of years.

The EU won't take them back. This is it for the UK. The EU is gonna shit as much as it possibly can on the UK to keep it together. Any weakness means the collapse of the EU. Those in the UK should be prepared for some pretty damn high tariffs on imported goods.

kiguel182

It sucks that old people, fear and racism won this and it might ruin the future of a lot of people there.

Hopefully the rest of EU stays together and "leave" movements don't start to grow because, even if I do have a lot of problems with the EU, we are better together than alone.

There's a lot of things that should be changed and improved in the union but leaving doesn't help anyone.

Arksy

When did I say they should be disenfranchised 'because they didn't vote how I wanted'? I said that the argument is that they should lose the vote because they hold the larger, younger generation(s) hostage to a political future that they wont be alive to see.

There are other better solutions, such as making voting compulsory, but an age limit on voting--at least for some votes--makes a lot of sense to me.

Yes, mandatory voting is a better solution. One that I highly support because it works incredibly well in Australia.

Honey Bunny

I keep seeing these silly statements and I can't help but wonder, who are these who are these nimrods comparing intraday market valuation changes to actual fiat payments from the UK to the EU? These comparisons don't even make sense.

Reactionary referendum losers.

Wishing ruin on their own country to prove their point.

Toxi

Banned
Now I can't laugh at Americans when they elect Trump - my countrymen have done something just as insane!
On the bright side, we can laugh at you once we don't elect Trump.

Actually we can't because we'll still have a boatload of Congressmen and local officials who are just as bad as Trump.

Iceternal

Can you guys salty over the out come can at least remain civil ?

Insulting all people who disagree with you is embarassing and doesn't help elevate the debate.

mekes

I voted remain, even tho I had clear worries about voting either way. But now I'm worried, self employed with a young business where we buy all parts in from Europe, as well as the general economy and strength of the pound. Business had been good so far, lets see how things go moving forward...

Yeah you have to go back as far as 2016-06-17 to find the stock market as low as that, almost a whole weeks worth of gains on the FTSE wiped out in a few hours. Just like that. It's insane that something like that can happen in a bear market.
And what about the Sterling's value?

danowat

Banned
All we need is America to elect trump and we're heading towards Armageddon!

Work is very tense this morning, all our customers are tense, no one knows what's going on, it's a bit weird.

danthefan

I'm Irish, and holy shit am I worried this morning. The UK is our biggest trading partner by miles, we have an open border, biggest travel destination, etc etc etc. There are hundreds of thousands of UK citizens here and hundreds of thousands of Irish citizens there.

Fuck. Fuck. Thrice fuck.

SomTervo

In a way all this chaos orginated from Daraa syria. If people did something to stop the massive influx of syrians running from barrel bombs from the assad regime, britian wouldnt be in this situation.

In the end, obama's policy of containment rather than solving the syrian crisis has led to america's closest ally leaving the union. The world is lucky barack obama was not the president of the united states during the 90s. Otherwise we would be having bosnian and kosovo refugees as well

That is some astonishing reasoning you've got there

I look forward to your thesis on the subject

Fascists are always up for a war.

They have to be, it's literally the only thing maintaining the continuous destruction on which other projects might be build (since Fascism doesn't have a free economy and therefore no 'creative destruction' as I believe it's called). They have to get that somehow.
You already knew that (I think), but I'm just pretending to add this for those who don't.

It's why there seriously needs to be a cut-off age of when you are too old to vote, these fucking old people have 10 years left to live but destroy young peoples lives because they are too selfish and ignorant to care.

One pair of my grandparents voted to leave, don't want to see them for a long time. I don't know if that is an overreaction but my other half lives in Germany are relies on my money, and right now, I can't afford it anymore. They fucked my parents plans for early retirement and moving abroad. Just no hindsight for the people closest to them.

BigDes

ロックマン;208204606 said:
How's the video game censorship going for you? I hear Viva Pinata might be approved soon, as Australia is getting more lax on violent video games.

What in the flying fuck are you talking about?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

They should allow embryos to vote because they'll grow up into the world they voted for.

I do think there should be a minimum turnout and higher threshold for changing the status quo. 52% would be laughable if it wasn't so sad.

Plum

ロックマン;208204606 said:
How's the video game censorship going for you? I hear Viva Pinata might be approved soon, as Australia is getting more lax on violent video games.

I'm not even on the side of the guy you're replying to but going "B-but how about this negative unrelated aspect of your country!" does not an argument make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom