• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

nOoblet16

As someone in the academic system, I wonder what's going to happen to higher education in the UK. I wonder if Oxbridge will push for their own privatisation now that they're likely to have lower numbers of students and no funding from the EU.
I'm thinking about the same.
I am a PhD student in Liverpool uni who started in April this year...what will happen to the likes of us? I'll probably finish before he separation makes place.

For what it's worth though, the global stock markets seem to be out of their panic mode, including the FTSE-100 (UK market index). Current loss is at 5%, varying a few percent between indexes.

I will say that I would have enjoyed having investment money on hand while this happened, because that would have been an excellent profit for just one hour of trade.

MrS

Banned
Do you understand the concept of a voting bloc, and the implications of being outside that voting bloc? The EU needs the UK, but the UK needs the EU to a FAR greater degree, I can assure you that much.
That remains to be seen. Boris will save us!

Hasney

Jesus Christ, those Remain voters outside Boris' house.

Get over it. You lost. The majority disagree with you on Europe. Grow up.

The referendum wouldn't have happened without kicking and screaming. Now the shoe is on the other foot, you can't talk shit about people doing the same on the other side.

Arksy

Yes, the 1% "majority"

Still a majority. I'm a staunch Leaver but even I have to accept that it's not an overwhelming mandate. We will have to leave but we will have to take note of the fact that 48% of the country still want a relationship with Europe.

KissVibes

Banned
In a way all this chaos orginated from Daraa syria. If people did something to stop the massive influx of syrians running from barrel bombs from the assad regime, britian wouldnt be in this situation.

In the end, obama's policy of containment rather than solving the syrian crisis has led to america's closest ally leaving the union. The world is lucky barack obama was not the president of the united states during the 90s. Otherwise we would be having bosnian and kosovo refugees as well

Fucking Christ, come off it. Obama isn't king of the world and shouldn't be treated or looked to as such. America isn't the fucking world police either and should have to solve that crisis or the crisis of other countries. Why didn't the UK solve the Syrian crisis? Why does it always come back to US of America?

So, with Cameron out, i'd like to as BritGAF who you think is going to be your next prime minister?

Is it going to be one of the Leave-promoting nutjobs? Boy, think about it, those buffoons are going to negotiate with the EU about the leaving process.

Still a majority. I'm a staunch Leaver but even I have to accept that it's not an overwhelming mandate. We will have to leave but we will have to take note of the fact that 48% of the country still want a relationship with Europe.

Tell me one thing.

Do you like gay people and/people from other countries? Just interested.

Plum

I'm thinking about the same.
I am a PhD student in Liverpool uni who started in April this year...what will happen to the likes of us? I'll probably finish before he separation makes place.

I'm starting in September in Cardiff. Doubting going right now seeing as I'll be basically going out of a frying pan and into a fire. My entire future is so fucking uncertain.

Slaythe

Jesus Christ, those Remain voters outside Boris' house.

Get over it. You lost. The majority disagree with you on Europe. Grow up.

Actually.... old people voted against it in majority.

Young people were in favor of staying in, in majority.

So what you meant is "old fucks disagree with you on Europe", and yes you would be right.

Doesn't make the situation any better.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I think Neil is going to shout at someone

kiguel182

A decision like this really shouldn't be made on a 51-48 vote. Especially with the vote skewing towards older people. Crazy times.

I'm sure a bunch of trade accords will be made but still, sucks that this is happening for many people.

Hasney

I'm going to look at this as the only positive way I can and I think that this is the political kick up the arse we needed as a country. The underdog won the vote which will be eye-opening for how people vote and people who didn't go out and vote on this referendum will be questioning why they didn't.

I think the next GE will be the most interesting in my lifetime, at least on a par with the rise of New Labour.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I was sad (as a Swede) to find this out waking up. Really thought Remain would win. Bye guys, we'll miss (some of) you.

I propose having a short quiz about the issue at hand on the ballots, and your vote only counts if you prove knowledgeable by answering all the questions correctly. It's too dangerous to let uneducated fools decide hugely important matters like this.

What now? An exodus of giver nations (those that give more than they get back) from the EU, until only taker nations remain and the union crumbles? Maybe not, but this doesn't inspire confidence in the union's future.

MCN

Banned
Yep, say goodbye to all EU players not being a regular starter for their nation. ;-)

I wonder if the vote in Sunderland would have gone differently if it had been "suggested" that Borini might have to go back to Italy.

Of course, it would then turn out that such a statement was a "mistake", but fuck it.

Tecnniqe

Banned

1% should not be enough to make a change this big. Should be 2/3 or 3/4ths at the very least.

I was really shocked waking up to these news.

Good luck Britain, you are leaving us all to an uncertain future.

Now I can only hope that Brussels is going to be really tough on the UK, because otherwise it's all really gonna just fall apart.

Mifune

Mehmber
Maybe if Remain wouldn't have dismissed everyone voting for Leave as a xenophobic racist immediately but engaged in argumentative discourse we wouldn't be in this mess.

Leave was the side pushing the immigration issue. That's why they won.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
So, uh...this is terrible..

So, we cant buy stuff from ebay.co.uk right?
Of course you can. Just prepare to pay those ~20% import taxes at the customs.

I cant go there anymore without Visas...omg this is terrible.
Actually tourism will be the least to suffer. Trade, OTOH.

Arksy

1% should not be enough to make a change this big. Should be 2/3 or 3/4ths at the very least.

I don't agree, if 60% voted to leave and the requirement was 66% there would be hell to pay. Unfortunately 50%+1 is the only fair way to conduct a vote like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom