• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course you can. Just prepare to pay those ~20% import taxes at the customs.

Actually tourism will be the least to suffer. Trade, OTOH.

Exacly...no purpose at all then.

Well GG everyone, this is terrible news, im literally shocked...I was planning into moving to the UK in January, and now im not so sure if I should/can.

Auctopus

To the people who think Gove would be a good PM, he got rid of "To Kill a Mockingbird" from the education system as his time as secretary, claiming that the message was "outdated".

Dang they were interviewing foreigners here in Japan what they thought about this. I side stepped them, but they caught a few of my friends lol. (I'm American)

AndrewPL

Undergraduate. Turned 18 this year, this was in fact the first time I've voted. And nope, never been clever enough to do STEM so I'm doing a Business degree. Considering what kinds of firms will be leaving Britain because of this I'm seeing it become more and more useless everyday.

I'm just so fucking scared. I already had no clue what I was doing with my life, and now it's uncertain whether the next 3 years of it and my recent exams will actually mean anything.

Act like nothing is different, over all it is likely that UK will be better off in the long run, new trade deals will be made, London will still be a financial hub etc.

People are freaking out,the world isn't burning yet. If anything stocks and equity were overpriced and debt was way to high. Anything was going to set off a panic in the markets...

nOoblet16

Undergraduate. Turned 18 this year, this was in fact the first time I've voted. And nope, never been clever enough to do STEM so I'm doing a Business degree. Considering what kinds of firms will be leaving Britain because of this I'm seeing it become more and more useless everyday.

I'm just so fucking scared. I already had no clue what I was doing with my life, and now it's uncertain whether the next 3 years of it and my recent exams will actually mean anything.
Oh man sorry to hear that yea any undergraduate starting now would be in a tough spot because the separation I'll happen right when you graduate.

My advice? Apply to a German university now. It's totally free to study there so you won't have a huge debt to pay and Frankfurt will likely be the new financial hub of Europe now.

Baybars

Banned
I am happy for the scots who will go their own way. Don't tie yourself to the little england

You're trying to Thanks, Obama this? Really?

Obama chose to contain the syrian crisis rather than solving it not realising syria is not afghanistan. It's a mediteranean country. Eventually 5 years of civil war would eventually catch up with rest of the world.

Congrats to the leave campaign, they obviously hit the right notes. I can understand middle England being disenchanted even if their grievances with the EU may be misplaced.

I suspect it was more 'lower' England than 'middle'. One suspects that the working class, broadly, has said 'fuck you' to the elite that's ignored them for too long. Trouble is, they'll suffer for it.

Chinner

Banned
What is more worrying is that we now live in a climate were facts are not highly regarded or persuasive to the public anymore.

I'm thinking about the same.
I am a PhD student in Liverpool uni who started in April this year...what will happen to the likes of us? I'll probably finish before he separation makes place.
Depends on what the PhD is in but EU funding might be a lot harder to come by now (and research is really a field where the UK gets back a lot more than it puts in) which in turn affects postdocs (you might be doing a grand to get a few million € to pay for equipment and staff basically) which is already a worldwide problem of not enough professors retiring, too many people getting PhDs leading to increased competition for post doctoral positions.

Ask people in your department if they have a coffee break or something about it as they'll be a bit better qualified than someone like me (who is working on their thesis corrections and wants to leave academia...not sure what I'll be leaving it to but I don't see myself as postdoc material).

ロックマン;208204606 said:
How's the video game censorship going for you? I hear Viva Pinata might be approved soon, as Australia is getting more lax on violent video games.
This is weirdest insult response I've ever seen. While that has nothing to do with the mandatory voting suggestion (which given over 27% of people didn't turn up to this important once a lifetime decision does say something has to be done to engage people) you do know games such as the Last of Us get censored Europe-wide and still will be outside of the EU so I'm not sure what exactly your point was.

That aside the ACB in Australia did some time ago allow video games to have the R18 rating which has helped somewhat alleviate the issues at hand. In short your response is dated as Viva Pinata is.

Look there are things like Brexit and the future of the UK and then there are the actual important issues; underage anime titties in our VIta games
Are you suggesting under brexit we drop PEGI and go back to the BBFC...oh boy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhunt_2#BBFC
I could bring up the anime censorship too like that 1 second of Code Geass R2 and a few minutes of Paranoia agent
I think it was the suicide scene so kind of breaks that episode
...though in the case of the latter a few there is UK region 2 DVD with the removed scene intact.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I hope England fails somewhat. Giving the other countries no reason to leave themself. The EU needs to function. It's not about some petty shit and regulations. It's about stopping countries having war with each other and protect one another.

I'm happy that the vote went this way for the simple fact of knowing who was against UK leaving.. the list could easily be named as "The League of World's Villains"

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Do you know who likes this news the most?

Putin.

Europe just lost his biggest opponent, got out of it badly damaged and is more pliable than ever to his whims, while the UK stands on its own.

Good job.

Hasney

I agree on the Tony thing, I'd even take Gordon Brown at this point compared to the options.

Can we at least get the Lib Dems back as a coalition? At this point, it's quite clear they put the Tories in check quite well.

SomTervo

He is right, his first two terms were pretty good. Pity about the war though, but I was in favour myself then. Brown and Cameron fucked over the poor. He is right also about Scotland, different circumstances new referendum.

Brown didn't fuck over the poor at all. He wanted to do the opposite of what Cameron ended up doing. He just couldn't do that in one term.

It's Thatcher's legacy that fucked shit up for the poor, then Tony's, then Cameron's. Tony's first two terms were where he really sewed the damage

geordiemp

I was sad (as a Swede) to find this out waking up. Really thought Remain would win. Bye guys, we'll miss (some of) you.

I propose having a short quiz about the issue at hand on the ballots, and your vote only counts if you prove knowledgeable by answering all the questions correctly. It's too dangerous to let uneducated fools decide hugely important matters like this.

What now? An exodus of giver nations (those that give more than they get back) from the EU, until only taker nations remain and the union crumbles? Maybe not, but this doesn't inspire confidence in the union's future.

Bye.

Eu will tank more than UK - FTSE down 6 %, most EU markets 8 %. It will calm down. The world will not crash just because of UK leaving.

Eventually we will have free trade and nobody left in State of EU and back to normal.

deli2000

Maybe if Remain wouldn't have dismissed everyone voting for Leave as a xenophobic racist immediately but engaged in argumentative discourse we wouldn't be in this mess.

Bullshit. There were plenty of arguments provided by experts in a large variety of fields which were backed up by facts and evidence. All the major figures and supporters of Remain argued for the economic & social benefits of the EU constantly. The immigration scaremongering which lead to stuff like the UKIP poster deserved to be called out as xenophobic & racist because it was. Just because it hurts people's feelings to say that a leave vote was enabling a xenophobic atmosphere in this country doesn't make it any less true.

So i'm not going to blame remain voters for a bunch of people voting leave because of this "will someone think of the poor leave voter, woe is me." narrative. Contrary to popular belief, I don't need to show any respect for people who are passively making my life in this country even worse. This attempt to portray leave voters as being held down for their beliefs is pathetic.

I hope England fails somewhat. Giving the other countries no reason to leave themself. The EU needs to function. It's not about some petty shit and regulations. It's about stopping countries having war with each other and protect one another.

What is your problem?

You hope 64m people have hardship just to teach the rest of the EU a lesson?

Hasney

I'm happy that the vote went this way for the simple fact of knowing who was against UK leaving.. the list could easily be named as "The League of World's Villains"

So you're on the side of Farage, Putin and Trump? It's best to not make this vote a personality based one as both sides lose.

SomTervo

Putin.

Let's lighten the burden of this knowledge with pictures of beautiful men

image.php

spwolf

Act like nothing is different, over all it is likely that UK will be better off in the long run, new trade deals will be made, London will still be a financial hub etc.

People are freaking out,the world isn't burning yet. If anything stocks and equity were overpriced and debt was way to high. Anything was going to set off a panic in the markets...

yeah, thats just not going to happen. UK will not get all the privileges of being in the EU.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
What is more worrying is that we now live in a climate were facts are not highly regarded or persuasive to the public anymore.
We've lived in that climate for a while. You can thank the squalid state of the British media for that.

Just a question for people who may know better here.

Northern Ireland and Scotland wanted to be in EU. So... Ireland to be united again and to quit Great Britain?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Blair is a cunt but he is talking sense on Sky News. Labour have not engaged with their traditional base outside of London, they have moved more and more to the left without any real appetite for that movement from the public. 5 years ago it would have been inconceivable that so many Labour biters would vote to Leave the EU.

geordiemp

Putin.

Europe just lost his biggest opponent, got out of it badly damaged and is more pliable than ever to his whims, while the UK stands on its own.

Good job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-wFKNy0MZQ

Oh wow, Uk market recovers in 1 hour, only - 4% now, EU markets - 6 %....

By lunch time the traders will have sorted out their shorts and the world will not end. Might even take a day or 2 then they will buy buy buy....

...Hilarious.

Plum

That is nice to say but my entire future rides on this. Now Cameron's out of negotiations I'm not optimistic about any favourable trade deals being made, and if they are it won't get us back to before.

Oh man sorry to hear that yea any undergraduate starting now would be in a tough spot because the separation I'll happen right when you graduate.

My advice? Apply to a German university now. It's totally free to study there so you won't have a huge debt to pay and Frankfurt will likely be the new financial hub of Europe now.

If it takes 2 years it'll happen before the start of my 3rd year. And for the advice, I don't know German and I'm just not sure I can do that kind of change, especially since I've already applied and made plans. Thankfully the whole "don't pay back until you earn over x amount" clause of student loans in Britain means that student loans won't be a massive problem for me.

jelly

So, what happens when we accept free movement to get into the EU single market, will leave people rage? Can't change things from the outside. What the hell have we gained?

I await Nissian to fuck off from Sunderland and see the people's reaction.

Septic360

Banned
Fucking terrible result.

We here at work have Brexit clauses in a lot of our contracts. Time to invoke those I guess.

Now I'm just hoping this guy turns up...

ap_miss_universe_1_151220_4x3_992-e1450722549261.jpg

Crumpo

Bye.

Eu will tank more than UK - FTSE down 6 %, most EU markets 8 %. It will calm down. The world will not crash just because of UK leaving.

Eventually we will have free trade and nobody left in State of EU and back to normal.

"Free trade"...I don't think it means what you think it means...

mid83

What are some good UK news sources that I can check regularly to stay up to date on what is going on in the coming months and years? I know a lot of British papers have a reputation for being tabloids so I want to be sure to read legitimate sources. If a source is biased either right or left wing please let me know so I have an idea of what to expect.

I don't imagine we'll hear much out of US news sources after the next few days so I appreciate any suggestions.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
If £1,000 can only get me $1,300 instead of $1,600, then surely tourism will suffer some, at least around the world anyway.
I was referring to tourism to the UK, sorry about not being clearer.

Yes. They brought this shit on themselves
"They" as in "those few percent of a few percent"? Have some basic human empathy.

Brown didn't fuck over the poor at all. He wanted to do the opposite of what Cameron ended up doing. He just couldn't do that in one term.

It's Tony's legacy that cause fucking shit up for the poor. Tony's first two terms were where he really sewed the damage

Sorry but I respectfully disagree, Gordon Brown was chancellor and it was his decisions in the end as regards the banks which fucked us over. Besides he introduced the ESA and PiP which brutalised the sick and poor.

PJV3

Who gives a fuck about Blair anymore?
The country is divided and the future is really uncertain. He's the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom