• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The United States Grand Prix |OT| Formula 1 Returns to the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omiee

Its a team effort after all. If it was my team i would have done the same to give my driver a better chance at winning the championship.

CiSTM

Banned
Start is going to be epic. There is such a huge difference between clean and dirty side that it's just insane. Many over takes and probably few crashes.

DBT85

So they can change the gearbox, if so, why won't they? Makes sense, move Alonso up a position and onto the clean side of the grid.

Button said he did a start on the clean side, apparently the only driver to do one there, and it was also crap because there is no rubber there. It's clean, but there was no grip.

The dirty side does at least have a little rubber down from any practice starts that were done.

Autosport.com
"I am the only car who has done a start on the clean side of the grid and that wasn't good either. There is just such low grip," he said.

"On the straights we are not putting rubber down. We might be cleaning the circuit but there is no rubber down, so it is very, very slippery. And the slippiest part of the circuit is the pitlane.

"You come out of the pitlane and in qualifying it is the first time we have run with 100kph limit, and you would say 100kph is too fast for the pitlane. There is just no grip and it is the same for the start.

"I don't think one side of the grid is going to have a better start than the other. The dirty side has had a lot of rubber put down from all the practice starts that were done this morning."

Its a team effort after all. If it was my team i would have done the same to give my driver a better chance at winning the championship.
M.Webber_Italy10_001-300x199.jpg

He basically said he didn't have any particular problem and that Massa was just quicker than him. Not that I believe this is going to make you think anyway.

Did he really say that! That's nice to indirectly admit that Massa was simply faster yesterday. But this wouldn't change my mind about Alonso the crybaby who I love to hate. F1 without a villain sucks, mine used to be Schumi now its Alonso and the red car magically makes you think they're evil.. Kimi surely didn't fit there lol :)

Now what is this I hear about Gearbox! DO IT FERRARI! Even if it means Massa goes to the back of the grid, it's worth a shot. Alonso is a good starter and can use that clean side

something that would damage the reputation of the F1. A gearbox change is not just a team order but it would influence the field behind Massa.

Damage the reputation of F1? Really?

There's 2 races left, no one's going to frown upon the decision to compromise Felipes starting position to help Alonso.

Button said he did a start on the clean side, apparently the only driver to do one there, and it was also crap because there is no rubber there. It's clean, but there was no grip.

The dirty side does at least have a little rubber down from any practice starts that were done

Yeah, both sides might be crap, but still, moving Alonso up a position can only help.

DBT85

something that would damage the reputation of the F1. A gearbox change is not just a team order but it would influence the field behind Massa.

Whole bunch of folk are going to get moved up the grid and anyone behind isn't going to move at all. The only people who might complain would be RBR but Alonso is still going to be a ways back.

What would be fun is if they change it to get Alonso onto the clean side and then Massa still gets a better start.

Damage the reputation of F1? Really?

There's 2 races left, no one's going to frown upon the decision to compromise Felipes starting position to help Alonso.

well, the FIA said nothing against the illegal team order back in 2010, so that would be too subtle for the FIA.

What would be fun is if they change it to get Alonso onto the clean side and then Massa still gets a better start.

Now THAT is something I want to see HAHAHA!!

Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1
Seems teams have to prove there's a problem with gearbox to be allowed to change it

Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1
Amusing speculation that if Ferrari change Massa gearbox, Red Bull would suddenly find problem with Webber's, putting ALO back on dirty side

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
This might be a dumb question. How do fans normally choose which driver to root for or do people not have their favorites?

Massa

Alonso should change his own gearbox. The side of the track is the least of his issues, with Maldonado and Grosjean so close.

Mastah

Gary Hartstein ‏@f1doc

What a typically cynical manipulation! Rules are rules but we're seeing cleverness trump sportsmanship . . . once again.

F1 doctor is not impressed...

DBT85

thsi was on Skysports.com

There is nothing in F1's rules that prevents a team from changing a car's gearbox for sporting reasons. However, if Ferrari were to make the change, the FIA might look at the situation and decide to retain the current grid.

Another option might be to start Massa from the pitlane, also leaving Alonso in his current position.

Not sure where they pulled that from. Surely they would be bound by the regulations to give him a 5 place penalty?

Adamm

Wow Ferrari opening admitting that they are changing his gearbox for alonso?
Just showed an interview on sky sports

I though they would at least try to be subtle

dalin80

Banned
Well Ferrari has Massa to move around as needs be and red bull get the torro rossos to fall of the track out of the way of vettel so it all balances out.

DieH@rd

Banned
Redbull can displace Webber with same gearbox trick, moving Alonso again on the dirty part of the track. I dont believe they will do it, but its possible.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
In the end, clean or dirty side of the track won't mean s***. Whine FM with Austin special about meaning of life and corporate culture!

Igo

Redbull can displace Webber with same gearbox trick, moving Alonso again on the dirty part of the track. I dont believe they will do it, but its possible.
They would be fools to drop Webber behind Alonso on the grid. Webber finishing higher than Alonso is worth a lot more than gambling on Alonso's grid position.

Foshy

They would be fools to drop Webber behind Alonso on the grid. Webber finishing higher than Alonso is worth a lot more than gambling on Alonso's grid position.

Well, Webber would end up only 1 place behind Alonso in the grid, and starting from the clean side he could overtake him at the start.

Who am I kidding, Webber can't overtake anyone at the start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom