• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I actually asked EBgames to ship my PSP Bundle in 1 Day. So I really hope I won't have to deal with that assy 32mb memory stick.

And the 1gb only comes in that weak blue color? Pity.

Ironclad

Mejilan said:
Hell no. Blue > Yellow. :lol
The 1gb "gaming" duos are bright yellow and they are transperant. To say the least, they are ugly. The standard color on the duos that we ordered is much better than the "gaming" ones. Sure it will be in your PSP the most of the time, but just the thought of something that ugly inside your PSP. It's horrible.

Ironclad

Mejilan said:
Is it visible? Once installed in the PSP? Or is it fully obscured?
There is a flap type cover that goes over the memory stick slot. You open that up, insert the memory stick like you would a DS game, and then you close up the cover. It is not visible at all.

Mejilan

Works for me. Didn't one a blue thingie sticking out of the PSP, or even the sleek, black siding marred by a blue slot. Thanks.

Ironclad

Mejilan said:
Works for me. Didn't one a blue thingie sticking out of the PSP, or even the sleek, black siding marred by a blue slot. Thanks.
No problem. I was playing around with a Jap unit and the flap seemed a bit flimsy to me though. I can't see many people swapping thier memory sticks all too often but I wish the cover were a little bit more sturdy. Nothing to worry about.

Mejilan

So, what can I use this 1gb thing for, anyway? I have an iPod, so screw music, and I don't plan on buying UMD movies...

Ironclad

Mejilan said:
So, what can I use this 1gb thing for, anyway? I have an iPod, so screw music, and I don't plan on buying UMD movies...
Well, game saves of course. You can also use it to store pictures, scans of manga or comics so you can read those on the go. Also, if you encode movies into MP4, you can watch them on your PSP. Check your PM for links to a few websites that will have encoders and instructions to get movies off of DVD's to your PSP, or a video file that you have downloaded to your PSP.

Mejilan

Photos? I have an iPod photo, actually. Manga or comics? Don't read 'em.

Why the hell did I buy this thing!? Lol.

Hmmm, encoding movies. I stopped watching tv moons ago, but I might be inclined to rip a few DVDs, particulary now that I've picked up so many of Miyazaki's flicks.

Thanks for the hook up!

Edit - Would it be wrong to transfer the Zelda 2005 Trailer to the PSP for constant viewing!? :lol

Ironclad

Mejilan said:
Photos? I have an iPod photo, actually. Manga or comics? Don't read 'em.

Why the hell did I buy this thing!? Lol.

Hmmm, encoding movies. I stopped watching tv moons ago, but I might be inclined to rip a few DVDs, particulary now that I've picked up so many of Miyazaki's flicks.

Thanks for the hook up!

Edit - Would it be wrong to transfer the Zelda 2005 Trailer to the PSP for constant viewing!? :lol
:lol
I've already encoded the trailer.

Alright, PM has been sent.

Mejilan

Thank you! Downloading the required software now. Thank you very much! :D

Gah - iPSP is cripple ware?

Ironclad

Mejilan said:
Thank you! Downloading the required software now. Thank you very much! :D
No problem at all. As long as one more person is watching anime(especially Miyazaki) on their PSP, I will be glad to do it. :)

Mejilan

Ironclad_Ninja said:
No problem at all. As long as one more person is watching anime(especially Miyazaki) on their PSP, I will be glad to do it. :)

I've got (amongst other movies) Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service, Castle in the Sky Laputa, Porco Rosso, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, and The Castle of Cagliostro all due in next week.

Ironclad

Mejilan said:
I've got (amongst other movies) Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service, Castle in the Sky Laputa, Porco Rosso, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, and The Castle of Cagliostro all due in next week.
Great purchases. I have Mononoke, Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service and Castle in the Sky. I still have to order Nausicaa and Porco.

Ok I've read thru this thread but, I didn't get the exact anwser I am looking for. Ok, I'm could give a shit about the games. I've never enjoyed portable gaming, you just can't sell me on that. BUT, I am interested in using a PSP as a media center. I want to put my photos and home movies on a memstick and be able to view/play them. If I copy a video to a memstick I should be able to play it on the PSP is that correct?

acklame

Tommie Hu$tle said:
Ok I've read thru this thread but, I didn't get the exact anwser I am looking for. Ok, I'm could give a shit about the games. I've never enjoyed portable gaming, you just can't sell me on that. BUT, I am interested in using a PSP as a media center. I want to put my photos and home movies on a memstick and be able to view/play them. If I copy a video to a memstick I should be able to play it on the PSP is that correct?

photo - jpeg
video - .mp4

as long as they are in that format it'll work.

acklame said:
photo - jpeg
video - .mp4

as long as they are in that format it'll work.

Wow, thanks for the quick response. And I'm assuming there are programs out there that will convert avi files to mp4 files.

acklame

Tommie Hu$tle said:
Wow, thanks for the quick response. And I'm assuming there are programs out there that will convert avi files to mp4 files.

yea, the most commonly used ones here are 3GP & iPSP. 3GP has pre-set settings that'll automatically name the videos in psp's convention, resize the resolution, etc using drag & drop menus. Check this big ass thread regarding videos:

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=27624&highlight=video+encoding

Close up of the Wipeout ad -

banner_875525693050309222043.jpg

For I am Wipeout's Bitch...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Photos? I have an iPod photo, actually.
If you actually want to use it for viewing photos (or showing them to someone), PSP is much better though. However, 1GB card is best used for encoded movie playback, you could get by with much less if you don't want to encode movies and TV eps.

Also consider that Wipeout Pure for example will have a total of ~40-50MB of downloadable content. If more games follow the suit, that 1GB could come in handy.

Shawn

Banned
holy shit. that's the same exact ad i saw in the subway this morning. damn, that thing caught my attention like nothing else. i kept staring at it in amazement. :) the 24th can't come soon enough.

From his blog:

Now I'm banging out my final slides for the PSP presentation I'm giving tomorrow, which is a talk for programmers who are new to the PSP. I have all the info, I'm basically just trying to categorize it into something which resembles a speech, and then make it a little more interesting.

He also talks about being disappointed by J. Allard's speech, and liking Iwata's talk.

Miburou

Yeah, the mem stick flap is pretty flimsy, and it doesn't lock in place. But I don't see why I would ever take out my 512MB Sony stick, so it doesn't matter.

Hol crap, Mrbob, looks like we were wrong about Wipeout...

Excerpt:

Wipeout Pure's downloadable content to be sizable
The default 32MB Memory Stick might not be enough to contain all the racing game's updates.

TOKYO--While it is already known that Wipeout Pure for the PSP will get downloadable content, some new details have leaked from Japan. According to retail sources, Sony plans to release roughly two new courses, hovercraft, and soundtrack songs each month. While the hovercraft and the songs will only require a few kilobytes on the Memory Stick, each course will be about 4MB, meaning that the monthly updates will probably be around 8MB apiece.

Gamespot Link here

newsguy

The End said:
goddamit wipeout, stop making me buy you.

I'm split about Wipeout. I see so many awesome things the game is doing, but the IGN guys said that at GDC the cars didn't float like the older titles and that the game felt more like fusion which was ass.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
newsguy said:
I'm split about Wipeout. I see so many awesome things the game is doing, but the IGN guys said that at GDC the cars didn't float like the older titles and that the game felt more like fusion which was ass.

That was good news to me...

They said it was improved over Fusion, but not quite as floaty as the old titles. To be honest, I became very fond of the system in Fusion...so a "fusion", if you will, of the new and the old is exactly what I'm looking for in Pure. Very exciting!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I still don't understand how come downloadable songs will only be be "few kilobytes" considering the apparently licensed soundtrack of the game. I find it even more weird that I seem to be the only person here who finds that weird :p Noone ever bothers to comment on this.

There are several people here who have played this. What's the music like? Streamed licensed tracks with lyrics, or midi-like stuff?

DHGamer

Went a little overboard for launch and paid off my stuff today:

List of what I got and why

PSP Value pack

NFS Rivals - like the customizing
Twisted Metal - online!
Gretzky NHL - online and the console version recieved great scores
Dynasty Warriors - only played 4 empires so portable version will be nice
Ape Escape - need a platformer
MetalGear Acid - MGS and strategy, one of my must haves
TigerWoods Golf - ehh it's golf, can't be worse than the DS version I briefly owned
NFL Street 2 - normally wouldn't buy this one but it looks fun
Fifa - last Fifa I bought was for SNES but after seeing the trailer yesterday I was floored
Lumines - another must buy for me
Untold Legends - action, deep and replayable
Spiderman 2 - good looking action game, liked the console version
Wipeout Pure - well duh, oh and downloadable track addons
Ridge Racer - wasn't going to as I've played it to death but I broke down hehe
Mercury - another system seller I'm hyped about

Still on order:
Sandisk 512 duo pro
Linksys WRT54 router for kaid

I was prepared to import in January but figured if I waited I could get more games instead of paying the inflated prices. Now to keep my wife from finding out. :D

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
DHGamer said:

PSP Value pack

Twisted Metal - online!
TigerWoods Golf - ehh it's golf, can't be worse than the DS version I briefly owned
Fifa - last Fifa I bought was for SNES but after seeing the trailer yesterday I was floored

Still on order:
Sandisk 512 duo pro

I was prepared to import in January but figured if I waited I could get more games instead of paying the inflated prices. Now to keep my wife from finding out. :D

*speechless*

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Marconelly said:
I still don't understand how come downloadable songs will only be be "few kilobytes" considering the apparently licensed soundtrack of the game. I find it even more weird that I seem to be the only person here who finds that weird :p Noone ever bothers to comment on this.

There are several people here who have played this. What's the music like? Streamed licensed tracks with lyrics, or midi-like stuff?

It could be similar to the sequenced audio found in many PSX and PS2 titles. That stuff can sound DAMN GOOD when the samples are of high quality. However, I do find it a bit strange that they would do a sequenced version of a licensed tune.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i was just at a gamestop to preorder wipeout pure, and they were clearing a big, visible space for the psp, and already had psp accessories out. contrast this to the subsection of the gba rack that the ds and ngage generally share. old sega fans are surely familiar with the way retail and enthusiast media usher out an undesirable console in favor of, well, a sony console. the signs are already in place.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
However, I do find it a bit strange that they would do a sequenced version of a licensed tune.
Or use the same set of samples for each and every song (which would have to be true for downloads to be just fe kilobytes)

.mod type of files that pack both a music sequence and samples together, would be at least a hundred kb or more.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I thought heard/read in one of the WoP threads that devs were working on letting people create their own music remixes on a website, that could then be downloaded for use in the game...maybe that helps explain what they're doing?

The End

drohne said:
i was just at a gamestop to preorder wipeout pure, and they were clearing a big, visible space for the psp, and already had psp accessories out. contrast this to the subsection of the gba rack that the ds and ngage generally share. old sega fans are surely familiar with the way retail and enthusiast media usher out an undesirable console in favor of, well, a sony console. the signs are already in place.

:lol :lol :lol

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
DHGamer said:

PSP Value pack

Twisted Metal - online!

Still on order:
Sandisk 512 duo pro

Based on your budget, if probably would've made more sense to order one of the 2GB sticks..

Mejilan

Marconelly said:
If you actually want to use it for viewing photos (or showing them to someone), PSP is much better though. However, 1GB card is best used for encoded movie playback, you could get by with much less if you don't want to encode movies and TV eps.

Also consider that Wipeout Pure for example will have a total of ~40-50MB of downloadable content. If more games follow the suit, that 1GB could come in handy.

To be honest, I never saw the attraction of carrying around photos in a device clipped to my belt (or, in the PSP's case, stored in a case in my bookbag.) I bought the iPod photo because I required the extra 20 gigs it had over my older 40. The color screen and upped resolution were just bonuses.

Still, since I watch SO little tv (that includes my rapidly expanding backlog of DVDs), I might just start ripping some movies into the 1gb memory stick and watching 'em on the subway or something, with headphones.

Question: The PSP's USB connector (my cable just came in the mail today), is it USB1.1 or USB2?

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
A little exchange at Best Buy today:

A customer is looking through some PSP mockup boxes that are out on display trying to figure out what this here PSP thing is about. He looks about my age range, 25-30, well dressed like he's here on lunch break from work. In other words, in the target PSP demographic.

Customer : (Seeing it on the box) "So yeah this plays Gran Turismo 4? Sweet I already have that!"

Best Buy Guy #1 : "Uh ... huh huh. Yeah, PS2 games aren't compatible with that. That's the PSP only version on there"

C : "What, so this *doesn't* play PS2 games?" (pictured device is clearly smaller than a PS2 cd's width)
BB1 : "No."
C : "Whatever. I don't want to buy games over again..."
Best Buy Guy #2 steps in.
BB2 : "A rep came in here earlier this week showing off the device. Man you won't believe the screen on that thing! It looks incredible! It can play movies and stuff too!"
C : "Oh hmm."

I break into the convo to be a show-off bastard
Me : "Are you guys gonna get any of the PSP games in before the hardware release?"
BB1: "Wha, why?"
Me : "'cause I already have one"
BB2: "COOL"
BB1: "Whoa do you like it?! How'd you get it?"
Me : "yeah, I got it from japan off ebay"
BB1: "So is it true you can put movies on mem cards and watch it"
(The Customer guy looks totally lost)
Me : "yeah"
BB2: "does it get all pixelated? how do you convert them"
Me: "uh.. you have to do it with the right settings. There's this program you have to download from Japan.."
C : "Bwhahahaah. No way no way. Not even worth the effort man!..."
(He puts down the PSP box)
C : "Yeah I dunno. I thought it played PS2 games. Maybe I'll get one I dunno."

He didn't sound too convinced. I wonder how many others like him out there assume PS2 compatibility about the PSP still.

DMczaf

He didn't sound too convinced. I wonder how many others like him out there assume PS2 compatibility about the PSP still.

During the PS2 launch, people at my school were saying it could burn CDs. I just assume when a Sony console launches, retards come from under their rocks to hype it to death.

Top Bottom