• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

DSC06057.jpg

:D

About 50 new PSP glamour shots here

Ironclad

My gamestop called me a little while ago and said that they are having a midnight opening tomorrow night. Oddly enough, I don't have my PSP ordered there but oh well. If you have a PSP ordered at Gamestop, you should call tomorrow to check if they will be having a "Midnight Party" as they call it.

number386

Ironclad_Ninja said:
My gamestop called me a little while ago and said that they are having a midnight opening tomorrow night. Oddly enough, I don't have my PSP ordered there but oh well. If you have a PSP ordered at Gamestop, you should call tomorrow to check if they will be having a "Midnight Party" as they call it.

I preordered my PSP at gamestop look at this weather report for NY tommorow night. some party.

Wednesday Night
Rain early on...then a mix of rain...snow and sleet...changing to all snow late. The precipitation may be heavy at times during the evening. Total snow accumulation expected to be less than an inch. Lows around 30. Northeast winds 15 to 20 mph with gustsup to 30 mph.
:lol :lol :lol

Ironclad

Flying Llama said:
I preordered my PSP at gamestop look at this weather report for NY tommorow night. some party.

:lol :lol :lol
Southern California here. It is pouring right now. The rain hasn't let up at all and it's getting pretty windy. I didn't catch the weather report but I doubt that it will stop anytime soon. It's gonna be one helluva party! :lol :lol :lol

Ironclad

DMczaf said:
Does your's have any scratches on it like Shompola's? I think I'm going to get this one from ebay.
I bought mine from ebay and it was shipped very quickly and I received it today. I opened it up to examine it and it is in prestine condition.

Link
This is the seller that I purchased mine from.

DMczaf said:
Does your's have any scratches on it like Shompola's? I think I'm going to get this one from ebay.

Just checked....no scratches. Its covered in a removable film, and slid into another plastic sleeve.

Alex

Are there going to be any decent screen protecter's at B&M's? It's a little too late to order one online if I'm gonna tack it on as soon as the package is opened, but everyone suggests getting one...

jiggle

Alex said:
Are there going to be any decent screen protecter's at B&M's? It's a little too late to order one online if I'm gonna tack it on as soon as the package is opened, but everyone suggests getting one...

I'd venture to guess it's better to order one NOW(and leave your PSP naked for a couple of days) than to apply a Hori ontop of one.

I ordered mine from overlayplus on thursday night, and got it on monday. They have an even faster shipping option(for 2 bucks more)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
arse - I've preordered MGA from Videogamesplus.ca but I think I'm stuck because its with Mercury which seems to be delayed.

Do Canadian sites get stuff later? Other sites seem happy to send stuff out early so you get it on the release date...

[/QUOTE]SO what is the deal with charging the PSP up anyways? I never know what is the recomended approach for these kinds of devices. I assume the unit will come with some kind of charge out of the box. Should I play off that charge untill it is entirely depleated and then give it a full charge? Or do I not even turn it on first and go for the full charge?

Or does it not really matter?
Have a look first and see what the charge is like. If its good, then just use it as normal, otherwise let it charge until the light goes out.

Generally for these batteries, you should charge often. Don't run it down before charging - stick it in a power socket as often as you can - same for things like ipods/DS. Running it right down affects its ability to hold charge over time.
I'll ask again: Can I use the power cable from my PS2 and plug it into my PSP's AC-adapter?
Assuming you're outside the US - yes. Any old 'figure of eight' power lead like PS2's will do fine. Its auto switching 100-240VAC 50/60Hz, so no worries.

Tabris

Quick question I asked before but didn't get an answer.

How good/bad are the Hori PSP screen protectors that I can buy at EB?

I'm hoping to get a screen protector from a local B&M store (eb, futureshop, etc)

aoi tsuki

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
aoi tsuki said:
Difference in sellers and feedback is likely. i also noticed the Australian poster has pictures in his gallery, which would drive people more people to his auctions than the other seller, and also drive the prices up.

I just ordered mine from the UK guy...

Mrbob

Saw my first PSP commericial on Sportscenter this morning!

God the unit looks so sexy I want one now! :lol

Almost time!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Got Wipeout last night. Again, I can't say much that hasn't already been said, but at least some technical comments:

- When you are playing Zone mode or the time trial, or free ride mode, basically as long as you are the only ship on the track - the framerate is perfectly steady 30FPS. When there are other ships at the track, frames start to drop a bit.

- All tracks use very, very nice particle and glow effects. Great use of both. Zone mode in particular has some *wicked* use of these.

*edit* Ignore what I said about the music before!!
Each song LOADS when you highlight it in the playlist. Once it's loaded, you can pull the disc out and it will continue playing. In that sense it could either be a MOD file (set of samples + music notary) or an MP3-like compressed file.

Again, music sounds very good.

Saw my first PSP commericial on Sportscenter this morning!
TV commercial?

robot

I managed to score a PSP last night.

So far it's pretty damn amazing, only got to watch Spiderman 2 and the Sampler Disc. Gonna head out and see if I can pick up my preordered game a bit early. The screen is incredible - can't get over the quality.

Lucky!

Mrbob

Marconelly said:
TV commercial?

Yup!

Pretty stylish commercial. Like an improved version of Apples Ipod shuffle commercial. It starts out with just showing peoples faces in this widescreen box and you don't know whats going on. Then it flips out and you see them using the PSP on the go in different areas. The commericial goes into a montage of people using the PSP in different places for different reasons. Some shots show people playing games. Other shots show them watching movies (They show RE: Apocalypse in the commercial) and another one listening to music. At the end of the commercial a user puts the PSP in a duffle bag as he is ready to head out. They don't show the release date or price in the commercial though. Also, in the background parts of Franz Ferdinands 'Take me Out' song and lyrics play during the entire commercial.

evil ways

Mrbob said:
Yup!

Pretty stylish commercial. Like an improved version of Apples Ipod shuffle commercial. It starts out with just showing peoples faces in this widescreen box and you don't know whats going on. Then it flips out and you see them using the PSP on the go in different areas. The commericial goes into a montage of people using the PSP in different places for different reasons. Some shots show people playing games. Other shots show them watching movies (They show RE: Apocalypse in the commercial) and another one listening to music. At the end of the commercial a user puts the PSP in a duffle bag as he is ready to head out. They don't show the release date or price in the commercial though. Also, in the background parts of Franz Ferdinands 'Take me Out' song and lyrics play during the entire commercial.

That sounds pimp smooth.

OK I whipped up a few solid color jpgs to test for dead pixels (DP's).

Since DP's can come in different colors, download these and put them in your photos folder.

Cycle through and confirm that you are DP free.

Cheers, and here's hoping that you are DP free!!!

dp_test_black.jpg

dp_test_white.jpg

dp_test_yellow.jpg

dp_test_red.jpg

dp_test_green.jpg

dp_test_blue.jpg

number386

krypt0nian said:
OK I whipped up a few solid color jpgs to test for dead pixels (DP's).

Since DP's can come in different colors, download these and put them in your photos folder.

Cycle through and confirm that you are DP free.

Cheers, and here's hoping that you are DP free!!!

dp_test_black.jpg

dp_test_white.jpg

dp_test_yellow.jpg

dp_test_red.jpg

dp_test_green.jpg

dp_test_blue.jpg

Awesome thanks.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
kpop100 said:
ok this seems to be the one that the ebay guys are selling, if anyone wants to buy from an online retailer. they seems to be the official retailer as well.

http://www.pda-now.com/p900625.php

according to their price $10.99 + free shipping

how do you know that it's the right one? Not to question your credibility, it just looks different than the boxes offered on ebay, and there's no mention of the PSP in the descriptions.

EDIT: I don't think this EXIM screen protector will work on the PSP. Just warning you. This site says that the screen dimensions for a Motorola E1000 are 2.2", whereas the PSP has a screen size of 4.3". Buy it at your own risk.

Hey everybody, I am new to these forums here. Long time viewer and first time poster here. I have had the Japanese import system since Decemeber, and I am happy everyone else here in the U.S. is getting theirs also. I think the PSP is the greatest thing since sliced bread. The thing is so damn awesome in every way. I picked up Lumines, Ridge Racer, THUG2, NBA (not as bad as reviews make it out to be), TM:HO, and Wipeout Pure. Wipeout Pure has been the most impressive game of the bunch so far, the nostalgia has me beaming here. I am also thinking of picking up Untold Legends and MGA. I need more impressions of MGA and some reviews on Untold Legends before I make the plunge though.

I was wondering if selling my Jap system and getting a US one would be the smart thing to do. The Jap systems are easily going for the retail price of the U.S. unit here. I paid over 400 dollars for my Jap. system, but I want a warranty and the ability to watch UMDs. I figure the extra 170 I spent was worth it to have access to the PSP three months earlier than all the other U.S. gamers. My square button works okay most of the time, but I have to hit it the right way for it to register. I also feel like there are some nice little refinements the U.S. ersion that merit consideration. I am also slightly worried about imcompatibilty with jap systems and U.S. online enable games. As you can tell by the flow of my rant, I am leaning to toward getting the domestic version. What do you guys think?

B'z-chan

Banned
DarienA said:
Has anybody talked to their local EB about the dead pixel issue? Any response?

Talked to
Gamestop, gotta wait one week before returning, then another week to get a new unit in.

Bestbuy: no problems just return it within 30 days.

EB:your name goes on a list from what i hear. Not comforting.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
B'z-chan said:
Talked to
Gamestop, gotta wait one week before returning, then another week to get a new unit in.

Bestbuy: no problems just return it within 30 days.

EB:your name goes on a list from what i hear. Not comforting.

Yeah I just got off the phone with the local EB drone.. his answer was less than comforting... I first had to explain to him what a dead pixel was... <sigh> I'll have to talk to the mgr over there this evening IThink.

Priz

Marconelly said:
Got Wipeout last night. Again, I can't say much that hasn't already been said, but at least some technical comments:

*edit* Ignore what I said about the music before!!
Each song LOADS when you highlight it in the playlist. Once it's loaded, you can pull the disc out and it will continue playing. In that sense it could either be a MOD file (set of samples + music notary) or an MP3-like compressed file.

Again, music sounds very good.

The music is in Sony's ATRAC3 format. In the system menu on your psp, go into your saved game folder and look/listen. Then access that directory on your pc.

Mrbob

That commercial seemed like a shortened version of what I saw. The one I saw on Sportscenter seemed like it went 60 seconds. Either that or Sony is running commercials with different clips.

Edit: It is BUSTA in the commercial! :lol Mainstream already! :p

Top Bottom