• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

Brofist

Nerevar said:
how do you know that it's the right one? Not to question your credibility, it just looks different than the boxes offered on ebay, and there's no mention of the PSP in the descriptions.

EDIT: I don't think this EXIM screen protector will work on the PSP. Just warning you. This site says that the screen dimensions for a Motorola E1000 are 2.2", whereas the PSP has a screen size of 4.3". Buy it at your own risk.

the cover picture on the website is a generic. if you look at any of the ones for the different pda or cell phones it's the same picture. look at the ebay ad, they all say the one for the motorolla e1000 is the one that matches the psp. so i'm assuming if you order the motorola e1000 one you're ok. I ordered one, it will arrive in like 7-10 days. I can verify it for anyone that isn't sure. I don't want to be responsible for some pissed off people ordering this.

here's the ebay one people here are ordering, it clearly says motorola e1000

b1_1_b.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=91513&item=8178420913&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW#ebayphotohosting

Shawnwhann said:
Hey everybody, I am new to these forums here. Long time viewer and first time poster here. I have had the Japanese import system since Decemeber, and I am happy everyone else here in the U.S. is getting theirs also. I think the PSP is the greatest thing since sliced bread. The thing is so damn awesome in every way. I picked up Lumines, Ridge Racer, THUG2, NBA (not as bad as reviews make it out to be), TM:HO, and Wipeout Pure. Wipeout Pure has been the most impressive game of the bunch so far, the nostalgia has me beaming here. I am also thinking of picking up Untold Legends and MGA. I need more impressions of MGA and some reviews on Untold Legends before I make the plunge though.

I was wondering if selling my Jap system and getting a US one would be the smart thing to do. The Jap systems are easily going for the retail price of the U.S. unit here. I paid over 400 dollars for my Jap. system, but I want a warranty and the ability to watch UMDs. I figure the extra 170 I spent was worth it to have access to the PSP three months earlier than all the other U.S. gamers. My square button works okay most of the time, but I have to hit it the right way for it to register. I also feel like there are some nice little refinements the U.S. ersion that merit consideration. I am also slightly worried about imcompatibilty with jap systems and U.S. online enable games. As you can tell by the flow of my rant, I am leaning to toward getting the domestic version. What do you guys think?

Metal Gear Acid has a ton of reviews:

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/920776.asp

IGN 3/22/2005 6.5 out of 10 65.0%
Gamers Europe 2/15/2005 8.5 out of 10 85.0%
PSW Magazine UK 3/1/2005 7 out of 10 70.0%
HonestGamers 12/31/2004 9 out of 10 90.0%
Edge Magazine UK 2/1/2005 6 out of 10 60.0%

with the average score going about 73%(which is a low average).

As for selling your Japanese system on Ebay or whatever, as I told somebody else, Japanese PSP systems are going for relatively cheap on Ebay these days. Especially, since the PSP is easy to find in Japan. You're not going to get premium prices for it, unlike the PS2 and other systems that were hard to find.

If anything, you're going to lose at least 150 to 200 dollars(assuming you paid 400 USD for the original as you said). This is due to the fact it's used, seller transaction fees and shipping & handling but MOSTLY because of the competition. Check out the bids for what it's actually selling for:

http://attr-search.ebay.com/psp_Sys...QQgcsZ1134QQpfidZ1412QQpfmodeZ2QQsacatZQ2d100

There's also a million supposedly going to be ready for launch. It's not going to be a very hard system to find, so why would somebody pay so much money for it? People arent. They're importing brand new systems for cheaper or getting the system with several games minus 100 to 150 face value through online buyer aunction sites. There's about 11 or so of these going with a brand new American PSP and 5 games for $300 that havent even been bidded on:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62054&item=8180120169&rd=1

You can probably score a 25 to 50 dollar profit off a brand new American PSP PRE-LAUNCH, but it's only a matter of time before the system is easily available here as well....

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That commercial's name is "POV" btw, not "take me out". That same song is used in another PSP commercial.

The music is in Sony's ATRAC3 format. In the system menu on your psp, go into your saved game folder and look/listen. Then access that directory on your pc.
Hmm, I know what you mean, but that can just be an extra tune prepared to play there when you highlight that icon, or when you highlight the Wipeout UMD disc. In game songs couls still be something other than Atrac3 songs.

Mrbob

Man, I keep on telling myself I'm going to wait on the PSP but then I watch that commecial again and it is over. :lol Midnight at Wal-Mart it is!

Lyte Edge said:
Untold Legends is finally out. Off to EB!

One of the managers had his system out and was playing Untold Legends. It's absolutely freaking gorgeous. The perspective was much closer up than I thought, but it makes the character models look incredible. I didn't get to fuss with it or check out loading times, but it LOOKS MARVELOUS. (IMO)

Also, that bonus disc is nice. Video demos of many of the games, music videos, trailers.

Very, very nice.

Shompola

Banned
kpop100 said:
the cover picture on the website is a generic. if you look at any of the ones for the different pda or cell phones it's the same picture. look at the ebay ad, they all say the one for the motorolla e1000 is the one that matches the psp. so i'm assuming if you order the motorola e1000 one you're ok. I ordered one, it will arrive in like 7-10 days. I can verify it for anyone that isn't sure. I don't want to be responsible for some pissed off people ordering this.

here's the ebay one people here are ordering, it clearly says motorola e1000

b1_1_b.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=91513&item=8178420913&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW#ebayphotohosting

And this is what you receive in the mail

IMG_1629.jpg

Shompola

Banned
sonycowboy said:
One of the managers had his system out and was playing Untold Legends. It's absolutely freaking gorgeous. The perspective was much closer up than I thought, but it makes the character models look incredible. I didn't get to fuss with it or check out loading times, but it LOOKS MARVELOUS. (IMO)

Also, that bonus disc is nice. Video demos of many of the games, music videos, trailers.

Very, very nice.

You can zoom in and out like their previous games. I personally am looking forward most to this particular game. RR, WF, Lumines and MGA can get lost :lol

garrickk

Mrbob said:
That commercial seemed like a shortened version of what I saw. The one I saw on Sportscenter seemed like it went 60 seconds. Either that or Sony is running commercials with different clips.

Edit: It is BUSTA in the commercial! :lol Mainstream already! :p

I saw the 30 second version of it during Sportscenter this morning. Not a bad commercial. Maybe it was so good it felt like 60 seconds.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The 30 sec commercial doesn't have anyone watching RE:Apocalypse, like MrBob said he saw, or any movie for that matter (which is a small ommision, IMO). Many commercials come in 60s, 30s and 15s version, which are used depending on the timing and channel.

Thanks for all the information gamergirly. I went ahead and posted my Japanese PSP with Ridge Racers on Ebay, and a gentleman purchased it for 280 plus my over inflated 25 dollar shipping cost. The guy lives in Anaheim, CA which is like 30 miles away from me so that is good. I am justt happy to be able to get the U.S. version. I was not looking to make a giant profit, I just want a system that I know is completely compatable with everthing that will be released stateside.
As far as Metal Gear Acid, I am going to try and rent the game and see if it is something that I will like. I want to bad because it is Metal Gear, but there are so many other great games out there. Can someone help a noob find a cool avatar and explain why I cant create a new thread?

Just ran by my local Comp-USA to grab some games while they're on sale and they weren't selling them yet. They had a spot set aside for them, waiting for tomorrow I suppose, but nothing in site. When I asked the guy about them, he just said they weren't going to be available until tomorrow. Seemed kinda annoyed about it. :lol

Mrbob

I remember in early February when NA PSP details were first posted. March 24 seemed such a long time away then! Now it is only 11 more hours!!!! :D

I need to go home from work I think. Between God of War and the PSP anticipation I can't get anything productive done today! :lol

Damn, those color screens are perfect but i don't have a mem stick yet and want to check mine out in the parking lot before i leave lol. Guess i'll be going the cycle through the months route. Does the background change instantly or is it a deal where the PSP has to set it quickly like when you set a new desktop on your computer?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
My EB got Lumines in. But they wouldn't sell it because their computers are down. ASSHOLES!

WARIO AM CRY

Not like I can play it now anyway but still...

Mrbob

AZYUMA86 said:
Does anyone know when Wal-Mart will begin selling their PSP's? Or does it depend on the store?

Depends on the store and the department manager.

Non SuperCenter stores won't sell them till they open tommorrow. SuperCenter stores that are open 24 hours should be selling them at midnight as long as the department manager is on the ball.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
krypt0nian said:
Mine looks different:

exim_psp.jpg

regardless, it is not the same EXIM protector for the Motorola E1000. Those appear to be just placeholder pictures for the ebay auctions. I would suggest editing your post kpop100, as it might convince people to order the wrong protector.

AZ Greg

Mrbob said:
Depends on the store and the department manager.

Non SuperCenter stores won't sell them till they open tommorrow. SuperCenter stores that are open 24 hours should be selling them at midnight as long as the department manager is on the ball.

Cool. Mine is open 24hrs thanks.

Edit: Just called and I can buy it at midnight. Should have no problems getting one. :)

Wario64 said:
My EB got Lumines in. But they wouldn't sell it because their computers are down. ASSHOLES!

WARIO AM CRY

Not like I can play it now anyway but still...

Wario, I know you're in the area. Which EB got it? The EB I just called didn't have it yet.

Ok, I checked the one off Prospect and Saratoga in San Jose near West Gate. It's where I did my last trade for MLB. Just gotta head in today to swap it for Lumines. Man I'm thinking about getting more games through the deal =) I've already picked up like 5 games with it =)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Yeah EBgames deal kicks ass. I just found a crapload of copies of Outlaw Golf 9 more holes...for $2.99 each. I don't know if EBgames will let me trade in multiple copies but I will soon find out

Seth C

Wario64 said:
Yeah EBgames deal kicks ass. I just found a crapload of copies of Outlaw Golf 9 more holes...for $2.99 each. I don't know if EBgames will let me trade in multiple copies but I will soon find out

I'm tempted to do the same, but my EB is really killing me. How do you convince them to let you trade one game for another? Do you have to pay the $10 difference in price between the first party game?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Seth C said:
I'm tempted to do the same, but my EB is really killing me. How do you convince them to let you trade one game for another? Do you have to pay the $10 difference in price between the first party game?

Your EBgames should have the flyer that shows the 3 for 1 promotion. I usually just take one of those and tell them I want to do that promotion. It should be 3 used games for one first party PSP game. You shoudn';t have to pay any $10 difference since each trade in game will be valued at $13 x 3 = $39. All you gotta do is pay sales tax if applicable

Seth C

Wario64 said:
Your EBgames should have the flyer that shows the 3 for 1 promotion. I usually just take one of those and tell them I want to do that promotion. It should be 3 used games for one first party PSP game. You shoudn';t have to pay any $10 difference since each trade in game will be valued at $13 x 3 = $39. All you gotta do is pay sales tax if applicable

Right, but how do you get the third party games out of it? What is the best method? Do you simply return the first party title and ask for an exchange? At that point do they ask you to cover the $10 difference in price?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Seth C said:
Right, but how do you get the third party games out of it? What is the best method? Do you simply return the first party title and ask for an exchange? At that point do they ask you to cover the $10 difference in price?

Get the first party game first, then at a later date go back and return the game and exchange it for another game. If you're switching to a $49.99 game, I guess you'll have to pay the difference then

The whole switching thing is kinda YMMV, but I've seen a lot of people successful in switching their games

Seth C

Wario64 said:
Get the first party game first, then at a later date go back and return the game and exchange it for another game. If you're switching to a $49.99 game, I guess you'll have to pay the difference then

The whole switching thing is kinda YMMV, but I've seen a lot of people successful in switching their games

I simply assume anyone talking about getting five games out of the deal must be doing some switching. As far as I can tell, there are only three first-party games most of us would want. I suppose a few are interested in the sports games.

I'm also kind of tempted to cash in on this by returning a few games to Wal-Mart for in-store credit.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Exchanging it at Walmart can work too I suppose, but there's usually a limit that you can't exceed

Yeah, I've already exchanged one game (Ape Escape -> Lumines). Twisted Metal and Wipeout Pure are pretty much the only games that are good on the list. I might do this deal a couple more times to get enough credit to purchase games for the rest of the year

Amir0x

Banned
Wario64 said:
Damn EBgames aren't opening at midnight :(

That's a damn shame. I'll tell you all about it though when I get back from the mall!

Also, I talked to the Gamestop duder when I went to pick up God of War and he said they'll be having some prizes and shit to give out like they did for DS launch. I hope one of the prizes is a game, they gave away Spiderman 2 DS at the DS launch. I'll probably win a t-shirt or something, though. Last time I won a t-shirt that had the Nvidia logo on it :|

Seth C said:
I simply assume anyone talking about getting five games out of the deal must be doing some switching. As far as I can tell, there are only three first-party games most of us would want. I suppose a few are interested in the sports games.

I'm also kind of tempted to cash in on this by returning a few games to Wal-Mart for in-store credit.

I haven't done any third party yet. I'm about to do my first one later today. My first four were two Wipeouts and two Twisted Metals. The best thing to do is preorder MLB since I think that's the only game not in stores yet. Then say the next day, you go in and tell them you preordered MLB but want to change it to another game cuz you heard its better or something. No need to show a receipt since they can look you up by your driver's license. Since all it shows in the computer is that you prepaid in full for MLB, they'll just return it and apply the store credit to whatever you want. No record that you did the trade in deal for it. That's how you get third party games.

Dilbert

A few more questions, since my life is getting way too interesting:

1) My preorder is in at EBGames, but they do not open until 10 AM on Thursday, and I will be traveling for work at some point on Thursday afternoon and not returning until late Saturday. I just talked to their manager, and their direction from their local corporate leadership is that preorders CANNOT be held longer than Saturday morning at 10 AM. After that, you will go back on the preorder list for the second shipment. The question is this: If I choose to cancel my preorder with them, will there be any kind of penalty or bad karma, or is it perfectly normal for that to happen? (I'm assuming that they won't care since it is almost guaranteed to sell...)

2) Which stores are doing midnight sales? Which are doing 8 AM or earlier sales?

3) If I decide to try to get one tonight at midnight (or, potentially, tomorrow morning at 8 AM), what is the best choice in terms of likely availability, most robust protection plan, and most lenient policy for dead pixel/other defect exchange?

Thanks for the info...gotta make some travel plans now...

JPRaup

Banned
Amir0x said:
That's a damn shame. I'll tell you all about it though when I get back from the mall!

Also, I talked to the Gamestop duder when I went to pick up God of War and he said they'll be having some prizes and shit to give out like they did for DS launch. I hope one of the prizes is a game, they gave away Spiderman 2 DS at the DS launch. I'll probably win a t-shirt or something, though. Last time I won a t-shirt that had the Nvidia logo on it :|

for Halo 2 launch i won a Metroid Prime 2 tee, lmao, anyways I cant wait until tommorow, I have school, but my dad is picking it up for me around 2-3 pm, hopefully there will still be some in stock, if not, i will go out thurs night until i find one :)

JPRaup

Banned
-jinx- said:
A few more questions, since my life is getting way too interesting:

1) My preorder is in at EBGames, but they do not open until 10 AM on Thursday, and I will be traveling for work at some point on Thursday afternoon and not returning until late Saturday. I just talked to their manager, and their direction from their local corporate leadership is that preorders CANNOT be held longer than Saturday morning at 10 AM. After that, you will go back on the preorder list for the second shipment. The question is this: If I choose to cancel my preorder with them, will there be any kind of penalty or bad karma, or is it perfectly normal for that to happen? (I'm assuming that they won't care since it is almost guaranteed to sell...)

2) Which stores are doing midnight sales? Which are doing 8 AM or earlier sales?

3) If I decide to try to get one tonight at midnight (or, potentially, tomorrow morning at 8 AM), what is the best choice in terms of likely availability, most robust protection plan, and most lenient policy for dead pixel/other defect exchange?

Thanks for the info...gotta make some travel plans now...

1)You should be fine, no worries there

2)Best Buy is opening up at 8:01 am, Select EB and Gamestops are opening up at midnight, thats all I know of

3)I would say go to Bestbuy (2year warranty for $39.99, also they seem to have tons of them in stock and they did no preorders so 1st come 1st serve)

JPRaup said:
1)You should be fine, no worries there

2)Best Buy is opening up at 8:01 am, Select EB and Gamestops are opening up at midnight, thats all I know of

3)I would say go to Bestbuy (2year warranty for $39.99, also they seem to have tons of them in stock and they did no preorders so 1st come 1st serve)

My Best Buy is opening at midnight :D (and so are many others, you should call them)

(Of course, I preorder my PSP at the mall store near work, which won't open until 9:00AM :( )

Cloudy

Banned
If you need a PSP, you can get one after midnight at Game Rush...

PS: What is the best screen protector I can get today?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Picking mine up at Midnight as well, bringing a friend along for the ride.

I just bought MGA, Darkstalkers, and Ape Escape. Ape Escape currently has a mail-in rebate deal going on at Coconunts stores, dropping it's price down to $20. Pretty much the only reason I jumped on it.

I'm snagging Wipeout, RR, and Twisted Metal tonight.

robot

Is the import psp's menu green like the US version?

I couldve sworn it was blue - not sure why Sony would change the menu color for the US release.

Kingpen

Just got back making my rounds to procure software... Got Untold Legends and Wipeout Pure from EB and the only retail copies of Ridge Racers and Lumines from Gamestop... I also picked up a USB cable so I can put music, pics, etc on the PSP. And finally picked up a Hori screen protector for 5 bucks as well.

The USB cable looks suspiciously like the same cable I have for my digital camera, so it may be possible to just use that one.

Amir0x

Banned
robot said:

I couldve sworn it was blue - not sure why Sony would change the menu color for the US release.

Haha, no one reads the first post.

The PSP menu changes color each month:

PSP operating system colours:
Jan: White
Feb: Light yellow
Mar: Pea green
Apr: Pink
May: Green
Jun: Light purple
Jul: Turquoise
Aug: Dark blue
Sep: Purple
Oct: Yellow
Nov: Brown
Dec: Red

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Untold Legends ROCKS. Very happy with the game. They basically ripped off Snowblind's Baldur's Gate DA/Champions interface for the menu screen and level up system, so if you enjoyed those games, you'll enjoy this one. :) I have some minor concerns about the game, which include the camera system (it's okay, but you always have to move it MANUALLY by holding down R and using the d-pad. A button to shift the camera behind you would have been nice), and the music (not very good, but not really a big deal. It actually sounds like midi music. :/). Frame rate fluctuates, but doesn't get in the way of the game play. It is a tad bit blurry at times, too, but you get used to that with PSP games.

The EB I was at told me that they would not be open for the midnight launch, and that all the mall EBs wouldn't be opening around here; only the stores in strip centers would be opening at midnight. The mall stores are going to be opening up at 8am tomorrow instead. I told them if I had pre-ordered a system there, I'd be freaking out about that right now. :lol

robot said:

The menu color changes depending on the month. :) Right now it's a light green color.

Top Bottom