• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Shompola said:
Cool Untold Legends impressions. How is the loading time? And isn't snowblind part of SOE anyway?

Loading time is pretty quick once the game gets going. I'm also impressed that the characters, while not very customizable (they have three skin tones, a few hair styles, and a few hair color choices, which is what Champions is like too, but the variations aren't as large), do get the visual changes from equipping various items/weapons/armor in-game. Wasn't expecting that. :)

Snowblind was bought by SOE, yeah, but they didn't develop Untold Legends.

Picked up God of War and Shining Tears too...too many damn games came out this week. I weep for my wallet, even with the huge of amount of DVD and game trade-ins I had. ;_;

Amir0x

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
Loading time is pretty quick once the game gets going. I'm also impressed that the characters, while not very customizable (they have three skin tones, a few hair styles, and a few hair color choices, which is what Champions is like too, but the variations aren't as large), do get the visual changes from equipping various items/weapons/armor in-game. Wasn't expecting that. :)

Snowblind was bought by SOE, yeah, but they didn't develop Untold Legends.

Picked up God of War and Shining Tears too...too many damn games came out this week. I weep for my wallet, even with the huge of amount of DVD and game trade-ins I had. ;_;

I wonder if I trade like 100 of my movies if I'll be able to go on a game shopping spree...

AZ Greg

Anybody have some hands on experience with the first party sports games? Which one is the best? I'm leaning towards soccer.

Lyte Edge

Amir0x said:
I wonder if I trade like 100 of my movies if I'll be able to go on a game shopping spree...

Just be careful since there are certain movies that they will take, but will not count towards the trade 3 get $10 extra deal. My friend had this happen today when he traded in Requiem For a Dream. They said that they usually do it with rated R movies, but I traded in Kill Bill and still got the $10 anyway.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Post what you think of Shining Tears... I heard it wasn't the greatest but I and a few others I know want to give it a try...

Lyte Edge

djtiesto said:
Post what you think of Shining Tears... I heard it wasn't the greatest but I and a few others I know want to give it a try...

Sure; I'll start a thread on it if no one else does. As long as it's as fun as the Shining Soul games, I'll be satisfied.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yea, I'd like to hear about SHining Tears as well.

On the subject of Untold Legends...any online play? Or just Ad-Hoc LAN. Also, how is the game structured? Mission select like Norrath 2, or Diablo/Norrath 1 overworld deal? How many character classes?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Damn, my EB doesn't take multiple copies of same games for the trade in deal. No biggie, got 3 more used games to trade in plus Champions of shit(norrath) to trade in...looks like I'm trading in for 2 more PSP games and I'm officially done with this deal. 5 PSP games at launch...damn. And originally I was only gonna buy Lumines. Damn you killer PSP launch lineup

Looks like the ad campaign is finally kicking off. Saw the first commercial during Around the Horn (ESPN). I dont plan on buying a PSP any time soon but this is one of Sony's better ads I think. Could almost hear a ka-ching in the background. :)

Ironclad

Wario64 said:
Damn, my EB doesn't take multiple copies of same games for the trade in deal. No biggie, got 3 more used games to trade in plus Champions of shit(norrath) to trade in...looks like I'm trading in for 2 more PSP games and I'm officially done with this deal. 5 PSP games at launch...damn. And originally I was only gonna buy Lumines. Damn you killer PSP launch lineup
Yeah, same here. I just got back from my EB and picked up Wipeout and Darkstalkers. I had a bit of trouble getting Darkstalkers but the guy came around. He just made me trade-in/pay for another game(TM, he pulled it off the shelf randomly) and then I returned it for Darkstalkers right on the spot. :lol

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I went by the local EB to pay off my PSP today and the manager let me take out his unit and hold it... even with all the pictures I've seen it's smaller than I thought it would be, and the UMD's are thinner than I thought... the screen... large... and gorgeous.

evil ways

I have a few sealed DVD movies that are duplicates from when I used to have one of those DVD club memberships, so I'll see if I can get at least 2 more games by trading them in.

The EB where I pre-ordered and the Gamestop in the same mall are not doing the midnight thing cause they are inside the mall, but both have a big written sign on the entrance that says "PSP on sale 7:00am".

Mrbob

Is that extra 10 dollars for 3 dvd trade in going right now?

Plus you get an extra bucks for each 3 games you trade in as well?

evil ways

Mrbob said:
Is that extra 10 dollars for 3 dvd trade in going right now?

Plus you get an extra bucks for each 3 games you trade in as well?

Yep, I checked today and my EB has these green flyers that say you can get $10 for each DVD when you trade in 3 or more DVDs. Not sure if the games deal is still going.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I got Lumines and Ridge Racer today. I plan on getting atleast one more game. Not sure if it will be Tiger Woods or something else though. Maybe Tiger and putting the money towards a 512MB mem stick.

Lyte Edge

Brandon F said:
Yea, I'd like to hear about SHining Tears as well.

On the subject of Untold Legends...any online play? Or just Ad-Hoc LAN. Also, how is the game structured? Mission select like Norrath 2, or Diablo/Norrath 1 overworld deal? How many character classes?

-No online play, just LAN
-Not sure about mission structuring, but most likely like Champions; divided into areas.
-Four character classes: Alchemist (female), Knight (male), Berserker (female), and Druid (male).

The back of the box says "Huge Game World: Over 100 levels, 110 unique monsters, 40 quest adventures and 1000s of items."

Oh, and Shining Tears seems rather disappointing right now. Especially compared to all the other games I've purchased over the last few days. If you're going to get a PS2 game, make sure it's called "God of War." :)

Sullichin

dssucks.gif

:lol

PSP Vs DS (note: don't get offended by this, it's obviously a joke)

Seth C

Wario64 said:

Which five? That's how many I've scored on this trade-in deal, but I can't decide which games to settle on. I'm keeping Lumines and Wipeout...what are the other three I should take? Hmmm....

Argyle

-jinx- said:
A few more questions, since my life is getting way too interesting:

1) My preorder is in at EBGames, but they do not open until 10 AM on Thursday, and I will be traveling for work at some point on Thursday afternoon and not returning until late Saturday. I just talked to their manager, and their direction from their local corporate leadership is that preorders CANNOT be held longer than Saturday morning at 10 AM. After that, you will go back on the preorder list for the second shipment. The question is this: If I choose to cancel my preorder with them, will there be any kind of penalty or bad karma, or is it perfectly normal for that to happen? (I'm assuming that they won't care since it is almost guaranteed to sell...)

2) Which stores are doing midnight sales? Which are doing 8 AM or earlier sales?

3) If I decide to try to get one tonight at midnight (or, potentially, tomorrow morning at 8 AM), what is the best choice in terms of likely availability, most robust protection plan, and most lenient policy for dead pixel/other defect exchange?

Thanks for the info...gotta make some travel plans now...

Jinx - you live in SoCal, right?

I live around Pasadena, and I can confirm that the Pasadena Gamestop (on Foothill) and the Alhambra Gamestop (on Main) will be open at midnight for PSP launch. No idea if either store has any systems that aren't preordered, maybe you can call your local Gamestop and see if they're gonna be open at midnight?

JPRaup

Banned
Seth C said:
Which five? That's how many I've scored on this trade-in deal, but I can't decide which games to settle on. I'm keeping Lumines and Wipeout...what are the other three I should take? Hmmm....

get Twisted Metal then pay a extra 10 bucks and get Tony Hawk and a sport game (wait for the reviews)

Seth C

JPRaup said:
get Twisted Metal then pay a extra 10 bucks and get Tony Hawk and a sport game (wait for the reviews)

Right now I have Lumines, Wipeout, Twisted Metal, NBA, and Ape Escape. I'm really not interested in Twisted Metal at all though. Never liked the series. Tony Hawk isn't in the running either, due to long load times and my lack of interest in the game after THPS2.

Seth C

Pedigree Chum said:
Twisted Metal: yay

Tony Hawk: I guess

Sports game: NAY! Get Mercury!

I want Mercury pretty bad, but it doesn't appear that it has made it for launch. Right now I'm considering....

Lumines
Wipeout Pure
Untold Legends
Ape Escape (never played the series)
And I'm not sure...I'd like it to be Mercury.

Mrbob

Got my Metal Gear Acid and Lumines. Now it is coming down to the wire tonight as I get ready to head to Walmart if I want to get Wipeout or Ridge Racer!

I would have picked up Mercury right away too but the release is set for Mid April now.

Amir0x

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
Just be careful since there are certain movies that they will take, but will not count towards the trade 3 get $10 extra deal. My friend had this happen today when he traded in Requiem For a Dream. They said that they usually do it with rated R movies, but I traded in Kill Bill and still got the $10 anyway.

Wait, why don't they do it for rated R films? That is hella retarded.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
My Value Pack PSP, Lumines, Wipeout Pure, Metal Gear Acid, Dynasty Warriors, and Tony Hawk Underground 2 Remix have all shipped, as of about noon today. They are scheduled to arrive tomorrow afternoon at some point. Woo! :D

My 1gb sandisk is supposed to ship tomorrow, to arrive Friday. Woo! :D

suikodan

psp1nb.jpg

Why waiting for midnight when some stores are selling it now?

Got the Gretzky pack and it cost a little bit more expected but what can I say? It's too cool!

And the video I've encoded with iPSP worked on the first try!

suikodan said:
psp1nb.jpg

Got the Gretzky pack and it cost a little bit more expected but what can I say? It's too cool!

Man, Canadians got screwed with the mandatory purchase of Gretzky (they could even give us a full UMD case). As if the price of the PSP wasn't high enough.

jiggle

suikodan said:
psp1nb.jpg

any deadpixel?

Bristow

Banned
Just got back with Metal Gear Acid, Lumines, and Untold Legends. Total cost = $20.

Traded in one of my DS, Mario 64, and Feel the Magic. Didn't get as much as I expected for the system and two games, but I don't mind too much considering I have another DS and those two games kinda suck.

I got the last copies of both MGA and Lumines at this particular EB. They had a ton of Legends.

For the good of my prediction thread ;), remember to take your digital cameras and get some good shots of the launch (I'm not looking for a bunch of empty Japanese streets from the Japanese DS/PSP launch or some old spaghetti western with tumbleweed blowing by ;) ) and tell us if the stores run out of units, please :D

Dilbert

Argyle said:
Jinx - you live in SoCal, right?

I live around Pasadena, and I can confirm that the Pasadena Gamestop (on Foothill) and the Alhambra Gamestop (on Main) will be open at midnight for PSP launch. No idea if either store has any systems that aren't preordered, maybe you can call your local Gamestop and see if they're gonna be open at midnight?
I'm in Redondo Beach. My flight leaves in the afternoon, so I COULD VPN in from home tomorrow morning, pick up my PSP from the local EBGames at 10 AM when it opens, and drive into work at that point...but I have a crapload to do before I hop on the plane, so I'd prefer not to be that inefficient. Also, the Best Buy return policy sounds like it might be more lenient, which is starting to sway me...

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
Lyte Edge said:

Must be the secret "ass-to-ass" exception clause.

Top Bottom