• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

sammy

*Newb question allert!!*

Can I run my PSP plugged into the wall w/out the battery in ?? -- I'd rather not zap the battery when I get home tonight and play it plugged in, and I heard some strange info...

sammy said:
*Newb question allert!!*

Can I run my PSP plugged into the wall w/out the battery in ?? -- I'd rather not zap the battery when I get home tonight and play it plugged in, and I heard some strange info...

No

Do this, install the battery, plug it in and play while it does its initial charge. I don't see anything wrong with that. Did it myself, no probs.

JPRaup

Banned
I have a question, does your PSP have to be fully charged before you play it or when you get can you start playing with it if you plug it into the wall

EDIT: someone answered my question before i even replied, you guys are good at GAF, you can read minds

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Argyle said:
Jinx - you live in SoCal, right?

I live around Pasadena, and I can confirm that the Pasadena Gamestop (on Foothill) and the Alhambra Gamestop (on Main) will be open at midnight for PSP launch. No idea if either store has any systems that aren't preordered, maybe you can call your local Gamestop and see if they're gonna be open at midnight?

Hotness. I live 10 minutes away from the Foothill Gamestop. Nice to see local GAF's :)

My local Gamestop is opening an hour early tomorrow, 9 AM. I'll be skipping out of work to go pick up my new toy. May have to swing by Comp-USA to try to get some games on sale, and if I still can't get the ones I want, Best Buy is minutes away. I may not be able to sleep tonight! :)

I still can't decide which games to pick-up. The Tiger Woods reveiws kinda have me down on that one. Haven't seen any impressions on NFL Street yet. Untold Legends is sorta iffy. WipeOut is probably a sure bet, with Twisted Metal on the edge. THUG2 is a maybe, along with Lumines. So many choices! :)

Bristow

Banned
Ack! Just got back from EB and now I'm reading all these reviews on Untold Legends. Seems to be pretty piss poor. Think I'll return it for Wipeout.

Argyle

SnowWolf said:
Hotness. I live 10 minutes away from the Foothill Gamestop. Nice to see local GAF's :)

I'll be there at midnight. Maybe even a bit before if there's a line - playing my Japanese PSP while waiting to get my US one. :)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I kinda wish the PSP games came with a sticker on top like PS2 games. I collected those PS2 tags whenever I got a new game

Miburou

sammy said:
*Newb question allert!!*

I'm pretty sure I have played my PSP with no battery while plugged into the wall. But once the battery is fully charged, the PSP will run from the wall without using the battery, so whether there's a battery or not inside does not matter while plugged to the wall.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
My damn EB isn't opening until it's regular time 10 tomorrow... I'll be long to work by then... dammit... no PSP love for me til after work. Feel my pain. :(

Miburou said:
I'm pretty sure I have played my PSP with no battery while plugged into the wall. But once the battery is fully charged, the PSP will run from the wall without using the battery, so whether there's a battery or not inside does not matter while plugged to the wall.

Hmm, guess I was wrong, I would still recommend just popping the battery in there and letting it charge while you play it.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Best launch ever!!!

There aren't a lot of totally new games but there are a lot of really good sequels/updates.

So far I've bought 5 games: Ridge Racer, Darkstalkers, Lumines, Wipeout, and Twisted Metal. I got them all for only $96 by purchasing used games from Gamestop and trading them in at EB.

The only other systems I've purchased at launch are N64, PSX, and DC. With N64 I bought Mario 64. With PSX I got Battle Arena Toshinden and SF:The Movie (yeah, I know). With Dreamcast I got Soul Calibur and Sonic Adventure. PSP blows those launches away. While I don't think any one game in the PSP launch lineup stacks up against the likes of Mario 64 and Soul Calibur...as a whole the PSP launch is better because of the sheer number of quality titles in a variety of genres.

I'm tempted to trade in more games so I can pick up Metal Gear AC!D, THUG2R, and get store credit for Mercury as well.

Now I've got to track down a memory stick at a good price.

LinesInTheSand said:
I'm going to Walmart at midnight, how early are you guys going to get there? I doubt there will be too many people there but I guess you never know...

My Walmart has several units left. When I asked about it, they asked me did I want a bundle :D

Meantime

-jinx- said:
I'm in Redondo Beach. My flight leaves in the afternoon, so I COULD VPN in from home tomorrow morning, pick up my PSP from the local EBGames at 10 AM when it opens, and drive into work at that point...but I have a crapload to do before I hop on the plane, so I'd prefer not to be that inefficient. Also, the Best Buy return policy sounds like it might be more lenient, which is starting to sway me...

I don't know if this will help, but this EB -

Electronics Boutique #744
Mall: Villa Marina Marketplace
13455 MAXELLA AVENUE
MARINA DEL REY CA, 90292 US
310-578-1896

- is opening at 8am tomorrow, and they still had a sign on the counter saying they were accepting preorders as of 5pm PST today.

Meantime said:

13455 MAXELLA AVENUE
310-578-1896

- is opening at 8am tomorrow, and they still had a sign on the counter saying they were accepting preorders as of 5pm PST today.

EB is still taking pre-orders, but they aren't for the 1st shipment. They have been told that a second shipment might be coming soon, but to be safe, they're quoting early April.

acklame

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Question about Ridge Racer...

I just picked up my copy (along with Lumines and MGA) and I noticed that the "Wi-Fi Compatible" box lists "Ad Hoc/Infrastructure". Twisted Metal and MGA both have this listed on the back while Lumines and Wipeout only offer Ad Hoc support. What kind of infrastructure support does the game offer? Anyone know?

Meantime

sonycowboy said:
EB is still taking pre-orders, but they aren't for the 1st shipment. They have been told that a second shipment might be coming soon, but to be safe, they're quoting early April.

My bad if this is the case - only trying to help :)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The Gamestop here was still taking preorders as of 1:40 PM, and they're doing a midnight launch thingy too. Looks like they have plenty of PSPs

Dilbert

Meantime said:

13455 MAXELLA AVENUE
310-578-1896

Thanks for the update. I've pretty much resigned myself to working at home for the first part of tomorrow...it's just a question of how many hours.

Both local Best Buys near me are opening at 8 AM. Since I have to be up that early anyway to support a telecon, I might drive by the one in South Torrance on PCH and check out the scene. If it's a madhouse, I'll just pick up my preorder at 10 AM and go to work.

Oh, by the way -- the Best Buy in Hawthorne claims to have "hundreds" of PSPs in stock and ready for the 8 AM opening.

acklame said:
Support for German, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, Portugese and Russian

Support to retain the screen mode setting for video data saved on the mem stick

Support to allow resume play after recovery from sleep mode(for video saved on mem stick)

Support to allow resume play of audiot after recovery from sleep mode on mem

Don't care about #1, but the rest are much, much better. The way they should have been, really.

fugimax

Update complete. Had to plug it into the AC Adaptor to update though. The update program uses the Crossbar interface and you launch it as a game from the memory stick via the main screen.

Don't notice anything different at first glance. Just the support for languages and the audio/video fixes I guess.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Pedigree Chum said:
Confirmed, just downloaded it. But it's a heft 14Mb for very little, unless you can delete the file after installing it.

that's what I'm wondering right now. Can I delete it now that the firmware was updated right?

Edit: someone should check if they solved the jpeg bug with this update. Even if it isn't stated, there are maybe some bug fixes in this 14MB file.

BTW, the update file is a .PBP named "EBOOT". It is possible to transfer it to the PC and share with those that don't have wireless internet access.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Someone also check if the monthly color changing has been fixed now. WIth Japanese PSP you have to launch th game then exit from it, or power the machine down completely (no sleep mode) then power it on for the color change to take place, even though the date might have changed in the meantime.

*edit* found the PBP file on the PSP Japan site

http://www.playstation.jp/psp/update/ud_01.html

Click on the "update with personal computer" button

One thing I hope is that someone reverse engineers this update file to figure out how to boot apps from a mem stick, and then use the same tech to make PSP emulators! THAT WOULD ROCK!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I think I've read that all those update executables are using some encryption that has never been cracked so far. So fat chance, unfortunatelly.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Marconelly said:
Someone also check if the monthly color changing has been fixed now. WIth Japanese PSP you have to launch th game then exit from it, or power the machine down completely (no sleep mode) then power it on for the color change to take place, even though the date might have changed in the meantime.

TTP, can you send that file to me (gmail or through skype)

Sure. Sending to Maja ;) Just copy it (the whole folder I'm sending) in the GAME folder and run it from there.

Gonna check the color thing in a sec.

Marconelly said:
Crap. How about listening to the music while browsing photos?

Doubt it, I'm pretty sure this is an update to get the JP systems up to speed with the American units. Nothing more, nothing less. I hope the next update blows us all away.

Top Bottom