• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

Hero

Where do I save .mp4 files to so I can view them as video?

Do I create a folder on the memory stick called 'MOVIE' or 'VIDEO' or anything? I've tried placing it in both and it won't work.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Marconelly said:
Yeah. Even better, you don't even have to wait for the battery to recharge to continue playing. When that happens, you can just plug it in when you have a chance, and as soon as you do that, you can power it on and continue playing while the battery is charging.

Yup same thing happened to me over the weekend, went out while playing Wipeout, plugged the AC adapter in, turned it back on and kept on racing.

Don't buy Intec screen protectors. I got one and applied it on. One air bubble but the screen quality had this dull yellowish look to it. What the fuck? Took it off (no adhesives left on, thank the Lord) and threw it away. $10 pissed away.

I just decided I won't need a screen protector. I take excellent care of it.

Mrbob

I love Wipeout Pure, but sometimes I wish I could play race the tracks without being fired upon. I've made it to the Venom Ascension tournament, and it drives me crazy whenever I'm trying to pass a couple ships I get bombarded with weapons. I'll be running up behind a ship and hear "Mines" and I'll be OH SHIT and take a couple mine shots and then I hear "Missle" and get hammered from behind. Then half my energy bar is gone by the time I finish the first lap! :/ It gets a little frustrating at times to keep on getting hammered with weapon shots.

Hero

Awesome.

I downloaded the new Naruto manga chapter.

When I'm viewing it though, is there a way to automatically have the viewer rotate it left so i view the full page ala comic book style? And there's a slight delay in loading the text and stuff, is there an update that will make this process faster?

Anyone know how to convert .ram files into mpeg? I've got some real media footage that I'd like to have on my PSP but Video 9 dosen't recoginze .ram files. I've done several searches for software but have come up empty.

I know there's got to be something out there.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
The Experiment said:
Don't buy Intec screen protectors. I got one and applied it on. One air bubble but the screen quality had this dull yellowish look to it. What the fuck? Took it off (no adhesives left on, thank the Lord) and threw it away. $10 pissed away.

I just decided I won't need a screen protector. I take excellent care of it.
I decided on that too (and I bought a Martin Fields). I figure I would've probably taken it off in a few months anyways, after the obsession of having a scratch-free, dust-free, fingerprint-free PSP has passed.

vatstep said:
I decided on that too (and I bought a Martin Fields). I figure I would've probably taken it off in a few months anyways, after the obsession of having a scratch-free, dust-free, fingerprint-free PSP has passed.

I didn't even bother getting one myself, cause I knew after a few weeks of owning the thing I wouldn't care about scratches/smudges anymore. Once you start playing, all that matters is the game itself, the scratches and smudges don't get in the way whatsoever.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
bean breath said:
Sorry if this has been answered already; how do you put import album art onto the psp, so that it displays it with your mp3's?

I used WMP10 to 'find album info', it then searched the CDDB for info for the mp3s, and then encoded the art into them. Cool stuff.

Its not going to get roughed up. To test it, I took it with me to the Library in my pant pocket. Whipped it out, not a thing happened to it. I didn't have anything else in there, just the PSP. So the screen is durable enough for light use. Although to be safe, I'd probably use the soft case that came with the PSP from now on. I can use the headphones to switch tracks to what I like and not like if I didn't memorize the track listings.

Dust free isn't bad because you can use the cloth. The Intec did come with a cloth so in case the first cloth is too dirty (doubtful), there's another.

Sony has announced it will 'make its top 500 films available digitally in the next year' according to a report on the BBC, with Sony's iPod replacement being the PSP

Excellent. What studios does Sony own? I will purchase good UMDs as I never watched the special features on them anyway.

the psp has joined the club of my prtables
dsc001357yl.jpg

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Whoa, PSP just freaked me out. Booted up Wipeout Pure and the sound was getting all muffled. I thought the speakers or sound was botched up so I put it to sleep mode and woke it up again...now it sounds fine. Hope that doesn't happen again

Ok having a slight problem myself with videos. I decided to check out a downloaded video from pspconnect and the videos refuse to show up under the Video section of the XMB menu. I'm sure i'm missing something totally obvious here but i'm not seeing it. The memory stick is the one packed with the value pack and is formatted through the PSP. It shows pics and plays music fine so i'm not sure what the problem is.

The video folder is as follows

PSP -> MP_ROOT -> 100MNV01 -> M4VC0099.MP4 (file that's part of the setup folder from PSP connect)

I go to the video part of the menu then hit X to check the memory stick and it says "There are no videos." Ok, what totally obvious step am i missing?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
michael000 said:
Ok having a slight problem myself with videos. I decided to check out a downloaded video from pspconnect and the videos refuse to show up under the Video section of the XMB menu. I'm sure i'm missing something totally obvious here but i'm not seeing it. The memory stick is the one packed with the value pack and is formatted through the PSP. It shows pics and plays music fine so i'm not sure what the problem is.

The video folder is as follows

PSP -> MP_ROOT -> 100MNV01 -> M4VC0099.MP4 (file that's part of the setup folder from PSP connect)

I go to the video part of the menu then hit X to check the memory stick and it says "There are no videos." Ok, what totally obvious step am i missing?

MP_ROOT directory should be on the root of the memory stick. It doesn't go in the PSP directory. Just move the directory and it should work

Wario64 said:
Whoa, PSP just freaked me out. Booted up Wipeout Pure and the sound was getting all muffled. I thought the speakers or sound was botched up so I put it to sleep mode and woke it up again...now it sounds fine. Hope that doesn't happen again

Ahh.. same thing happened to me the other day. At first I didn't notice and then I realized I couldn't make out what the announcer was saying. Went "Home" and played a few mp3s to check things out and then rebooted wipeout and it was back to normal. Weird stuff...

Shompola

Banned
Wario64 said:

Pretty normal.

shpankey

not an idiot
Miburou said:
The PSP's sleep mode is amazing. I was playing some MGA last night, wanted to go to bed so I just flicked the power button. I wake up today, turn the system on, and in 0 seconds I'm at the menu, ready to go. I wonder how much battery power it takes though to have a system in sleep mode for 12 hours straight?
I so agree! The sleep mode is so fucking cool. This in my mind is the greatest invention in gaming in a long time. It's so cool that everytime I wanna go back to a RR race I am only 2 seconds away! LOVE IT!

Also, like some others, I've ran it out of battery mid game and when I charged it and came back, I was right back to where I was before the battery ran out.

P.S. on an unrelated note: I want some In-Action Heroes. I gotta have Suck up and Mamma's boy! :lol

aoi tsuki

Mrbob said:
I love Wipeout Pure, but sometimes I wish I could play race the tracks without being fired upon. I've made it to the Venom Ascension tournament, and it drives me crazy whenever I'm trying to pass a couple ships I get bombarded with weapons. I'll be running up behind a ship and hear "Mines" and I'll be OH SHIT and take a couple mine shots and then I hear "Missle" and get hammered from behind. Then half my energy bar is gone by the time I finish the first lap! :/ It gets a little frustrating at times to keep on getting hammered with weapon shots.
Race in free race mode before taking on the other modes to get a feel for the controls and physics of the game. If you're having trouble in venom, you won't last long in any of the other modes.

With teams with weaker shields, it become imperative to race without hitting walls, as well as using the absorb weapon (circle button) whenever you pick up a weapon you don't need. i race with Auricom and i'm getting trashed in Rapier class one some stages. i could definitely work on perfect racing, but it would also help to switch to a team with better shields.

Edit: Also, when using shields or autopilot, you can pick up another weapon and use it.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I bet Sony will get at least a few calls tomorrow from stupid people confused as to why their PSP background is pink.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
CVXFREAK said:
Damnit, 5 dead pixels in mine. An exchange will be a slight hassle since I ordered online. Argh.

Try and do the switch-a-roo at Walmart, unless you consider that unethical :p

aoi tsuki

Heh. The pink is kinda cool. Aside from my rose petal tea, i don't have anything else in my posession that's pink. i'm sure it'll get kinda old quickly though, especially considering how queasy my stomach feels walking through the Barbie aisle in toy stores.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Anyone know how to convert .ram files into mpeg? I've got some real media footage that I'd like to have on my PSP but Video 9 dosen't recoginze .ram files. I've done several searches for software but have come up empty.

I know there's got to be something out there.
http://www.aone-soft.com/rmconverter.htm

Convert RealMedia(*.RM, *.RMVB) file to various format file
Split, cut or trim a large RealMedia(*.RM, *.RMVB) file to smaller clips
Join or merge RealMedia(*.RM,*.RMVB) files to a large one
Multi-task batch execute function
Supports RM, RMVB formats to AVI(DivX,XviD, MPEG-4.....)
Supports RM, RMVB formats to VCD,SVCD,DVD(PAL,NTSC)
Supports RM, RMVB formats to MPEG1, MPEG2 1
Supports RM, RMVB formats to Windows Media Format (WMV/ASF)
Support large video file, even large then 2GB
Very fast and without any quality loss.
Very User-friendly interface
Very easy to use

Try this free program. Just split the .ram into One AVI file and drag that into pspvideo9.

Shompola

Banned
How the hell am I supposed to put this screen protector without developing any air bubbles?
As soon as I partly apply the screen protector it develops several airbubbles on the other edges that I can't get rid off. I have tried the trick with plastic card without any success.

Ohh now I get it.. it's those annoying dust particles that create those damn bubbles. Well I have eliminited most of the bubbles now.. although some dust particles are trapped beneath the protector :(

I think I will let it stay this way.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Mrbob said:

I'm getting that too. Its also annoying that you do a nice turbo off the start, then suddenly all the craft fly right by you.

I can probably manage to get gold in Venom, but its a big jump from vector,and you start to notice the framerate (not really noticable when you are going slowly). I'll have to practice a lot for the faster leagues.

got my PSP last night"i live in europe" and i still cant get over the fact that the PSP´s screen is TOTALY FUCKING AWSOME!!

god i love this little sexy thing!

Lumines is addictive like hell and i cant stop playing it!
i wanted Ridge racer but it was all sold out.

on my way to work today i went to the local Sony store, i know a guy there, he was like WOW this is a sexy thing, he then took of with it and showed it to his work mates, they where all like "HOLY SWEET MOTHER OF ALIBABA"

they cant wait for the European lauch to arrive.

but man it gets "dirty" fast, finger prints everywhere they are driving me nuts...

I have 1 dead pixel, its located in the far left corner next to the Home button, so it aint that bad, i hardly look at that part of the screen anyway.

thanks sony i am your bitch for life now.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
mrklaw said:
I'm getting that too. Its also annoying that you do a nice turbo off the start, then suddenly all the craft fly right by you.

I can probably manage to get gold in Venom, but its a big jump from vector,and you start to notice the framerate (not really noticable when you are going slowly). I'll have to practice a lot for the faster leagues.

Dont worry, the frame rate will kill any skill you got anyway. I'm at the Rapier (4th) class, and I cannot stand it anymore. The game gets worse as you progress, and racing on the same 8 tracks over and over again (the game unlocks all of them too soon) is plain stupid. I'm not feeling awarded for the effort.

Prince

anyone got that power brick to work right ? as there is no manual with the product and also nothing at the pelican site.

i got it to charge my psp 1 time but it's supose to be able to charge it 2x.

when charging the power brick after a while a green light goes on which i asume means that it's fully charged but this time i disconnected and put it back in and waited till the green light came again, i hope this means i can now charge the psp twice with it.

nice product but the lack of instructions is really stupid.

aoi tsuki

Miburou said:
Wipeout Pure has only 8 tracks? And they're not that varied, so WP -1.
Plus zone tracks (i think there's four total) and classic tracks.

The framerate gets bad on the flash speed class, and even worse on rapier. It's especially bad in tight spaces and corners with weapons, where craft tend to pile up. Racing through consecutive explosions only to get hit by a quake is murder on the framerate. Reminds me of the Saturn version of the first Wipeout, which ran at something like 10-15 fps on the later tracks.

IMPORTANT Question

I live in europe, so when i charge my PSP i use a step down converter to change to power so i wont Toast my PSP.

now to my Question, if i hook my US PSP up with the USB cable and attach it to my PC to transfer pictures and stuff to the PSP´s memory stick does that work? or will my PSP get Toasted?

or maybe it wont work at all, maybe i need to take out the memory stick and attach it to one of those memory stick dock ports and transfer the pics to it like that...

please help me

thanks

Prince

robertsan21 said:
IMPORTANT Question

I live in europe, so when i charge my PSP i use a step down converter to change to power so i wont Toast my PSP.

now to my Question, if i hook my US PSP up with the USB cable and attach it to my PC to transfer pictures and stuff to the PSP´s memory stick does that work? or will my PSP get Toasted?

or maybe it wont work at all, maybe i need to take out the memory stick and attach it to one of those memory stick dock ports and transfer the pics to it like that...

please help me

thanks

no problem to use it that way plus you don't need a step down converter you can just use a cable like the one that's with you ps2.

Prince said:
no problem to use it that way plus you don't need a step down converter you can just use a cable like the one that's with you ps2.

are you sure that it works?

My PS2 is also from USA and i use a stepdown for it.why would it not burn if i use a normal pal cable?

My US GC burnt for me when i used a normal PAL cable

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
robertsan21 said:
are you sure that it works?

My PS2 is also from USA and i use a stepdown for it.why would it not burn if i use a normal pal cable?

My US GC burnt for me when i used a normal PAL cable

As far as I'm aware, the adaptor is universal. You just plug the appropriate cable in (a figure of 8 power cable). At least I hope this is how it is, as I just spent €5 on a new cable yesterday ;)

gofreak said:
As far as I'm aware, the adaptor is universal. You just plug the appropriate cable in (a figure of 8 power cable). At least I hope this is how it is, as I just spent €5 on a new cable yesterday ;)

ah super!

i guess i have to run and buy a power cord and plug it in to the charger that came in to box of the PSP.

but my real question was can i plugg the USB in to the PSP with out any step down thing?

does not the PC use the eur volt standard and the PSP use the US volt standar, if i hook the USB cable to the PSP wont it get toasted?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
robertsan21 said:
ah super!

i guess i have to run and buy a power cord and plug it in to the charger that came in to box of the PSP.

but my real question was can i plugg the USB in to the PSP with out any step down thing?

does not the PC use the eur volt standard and the PSP use the US volt standar, if i hook the USB cable to the PSP wont it get toasted?

A good question. I'm not sure. Someone earlier responded that this wouldn't be a problem. Perhaps the amount of power let through a USB port is the same everywhere?

gofreak said:
A good question. I'm not sure. Someone earlier responded that this wouldn't be a problem. Perhaps the amount of power let through a USB port is the same everywhere?

yeah maybe...but i dont think i want to be the one testing it:)
so please someone in Europe please hook up your US PSP with a USB cable to your PC at home:)

i already killed 1 GC doing that mistake so i wont be the one who tests this :lol :lol

Top Bottom