• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

X5z

I just picked Wipeout Pure, Untold Legends, Lumines, and Metal Gear Acid from the ebgames.com bundle.

Has there been any word on ebgames offering a replacement plan/extended warranty on online PSP orders?

ManaByte

Gold Member
After watching videos I'm really tempted to get NFSU:R and NFL Street, but I don't want to get five games at launch.

The End

Bristow said:
Why is nobody getting Metal Gear Acid? Is there something I don't know about?

I'll probably get it. I want something more single playery than the other two games i'm getting (RR & Lumines).

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I'm dumb when it comes to memory cards...will this one work with the psp aslong as I get a usb cable or memory card reader..

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...15/102-7035619-2143350?v=glance&s=electronics

B00012OJ22.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Well someone told me in private through this forum that its safer to use the reader instead of using a usb cable :lol I just planned on getting a usb cable,I just wanted to make sure that card was the right thing.

Amir0x

Banned
Matrix said:
Well someone told me in private through this forum that its safer to use the reader instead of using a usb cable :lol I just planned on getting a usb cable,I just wanted to make sure that card was the right thing.

Yup, that's definitely the right one. Also, use Froogle to find even better deals on the 512MB Memory Stick Pro Duo. You can find them for 50 dollars or so.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Bristow said:
Why is nobody getting Metal Gear Acid? Is there something I don't know about?

I WILL get MGA, but not necessarily right away...

I must get Wipeout, RR, Twisted Metal, and Lumines right off the bat. However, there are other games that I'd also like to get (with MGA being one of those), but they will have to wait a bit.

Mrbob

Lumines has been reviewed by IGNPSP. Not on the site yet. Just on the board. Should be up later tonight though.

PRESENTATION
Tetsuya Mizuguchi is known for putting together as much an experience as a game, and Lumines is no less the whole deal for being a launch game on Sony's new handheld.

GRAPHICS
The shape and the sound of puzzle gaming is rarely the focus, but Q Entertainment fused the external design to the gaming experience here with great care.

SOUND
Even for those who have no desire to dance to this music, the selection of tracks and the variety of music is mondo engrossing.

GAMEPLAY
A brand new concept in puzzle gaming, Lumines is an earnest addiction that's elegantly simple and disarmingly challenging.

LASTING APPEAL
A few missing options hurt the appeal of playing it too often, but it's a very diggable puzzle game that you can pick back up years from now and enjoy.

FINAL - 8.6

Matrix

newsguy said:

Thx :)

Ok I'm all set with eveything and now officially broke.

newsguy

Just an update on the pre-release situation over at gamestop. My local store says that the dates have been updated and it's true that they will sell the games on the 16th (you must pre-order though). some of the games on the website are different in the store, like TW golf says 16th in store but 21st online. Once again this is for folks who
a) already have a PSP
b) want to read a manual for a week

Shadax

Banned
Anyone know when ATV Offroad Fury is coming out for PSP? I thought it was a launch title, but my EB Games pre-order email didn't have ATV on the list.

I ended up going with Ridge Racer, Lumines (I'm taking a BIG chance on this one, based on forum impressions and the GameSpot video review) and NFL Street 2 Unleashed, as well as a 256MB Memory Stick. I considered Brotherhood of the Blade, but decided against it. Depending on how I feel about Lumines, I may be looking to trade it. Only 2 weeks left! :D

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
EB bundle here too. I'm going with Wipeout Pure, Ridge Racer, THUG 2 remix, and Lumines (you better be right about this, GAF! I'm expecting something better than tetris!). All the accessories were crap and the memsticks were way overpriced, so I figured I would at least give Lumines a try. I can't wait until the next set of EA / Sega sports hits the handheld, though.

jenov4

I have a question about the headphones:

If I replace the ones that comes bundled with the PSP, am I still able to use the remote?

I know the MD players have detachable remotes so that you can use your own headphones and still get the remote features.

Anyone?

Ironclad

jenov4 said:

If I replace the ones that comes bundled with the PSP, am I still able to use the remote?

I know the MD players have detachable remotes so that you can use your own headphones and still get the remote features.

Anyone?
I remember seeing pictures of the remote and it had a headphone jack on the top so I am sure you can swap your own headphones.

Brofist

jenov4 said:

Anyone?

assuming you mean the PSP remote with your MD player headphones, then yes no problem. you wouldn't be able to use the MD player remote with the PSP though.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Justin said:
Are there any non-shady sites that have the 1 gig memory cards in stock. Everywhere I look is out.
Unless you want to spend near $200, good luck. Some sites have arrival dates sometime next week for both the Sandisk 1GB cards (regular and gaming - they're both the same, really) at around $110-125. I called a few, though, and they all share the same warehouses and their backorder queue has already exceeded the number they're getting in. The next shipments aren't until late April/May (which is probably why Gamestop has the release date at 5/3, and EBGames just took it completely off their site). Kind of sucks. I know I'm just going to end up wasting my money on a 512MB, even though it's not what I want.

The End

I'd wait until june or july to buy a memory stick, by then all of these sites will have them back in stock, and prices will plummet.

tralfazz

vatstep said:
Unless you want to spend near $200, good luck. Some sites have arrival dates sometime next week for both the Sandisk 1GB cards (regular and gaming - they're both the same, really) at around $110-125. I called a few, though, and they all share the same warehouses and their backorder queue has already exceeded the number they're getting in. The next shipments aren't until late April/May (which is probably why Gamestop has the release date at 5/3, and EBGames just took it completely off their site). Kind of sucks. I know I'm just going to end up wasting my money on a 512MB, even though it's not what I want.

Our company does business with Ingram Micro and they are backordered out the wazoo. I assume by the numbers I saw that they are providing alot of the alotments for the game stores.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Slim chance, but, has anyone used a Sony "High Speed" Pro Duo with their PSP? I remember hearing a couple of months ago somewhere that they didn't work correctly (which would be ludicrous, a Sony MS not working with the PSP). I have an opportunity to get one at an okay price..not having to deal with the hell of trying to find a Sandisk would be nice.

vatstep said:
Slim chance, but, has anyone used a Sony "High Speed" Pro Duo with their PSP? I remember hearing a couple of months ago somewhere that they didn't work correctly (which would be ludicrous, a Sony MS not working with the PSP). I have an opportunity to get one at an okay price..not having to deal with the hell of trying to find a Sandisk would be nice.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but so far I don't think anybody here (at least) has tried to use HS Pro Duo sticks with the PSP, mainly because they come at quite a cost premium. I've been keeping an eye on some digicam and tech sites, but little luck beyond what I've mentioned.

As for compatibility, I heard similar garbage commented on engadget. There would have to be something terribly wrong in the Pro Duo architecture for HS sticks not to work in modern Pro Duo slots, a point basically backed up by there being no HS-required peripherals in existence that I know of, and reports that the HS stick works with the DSC-M1 camera.

Not owning a HS Pro Duo stick myself, I can't tell you for sure one way or the other (or if it really does work), but considering the big temperature improvement in Duo Pro 512MB+ models, evidence points to HS being a sort of overclocked version that can handle higher transfer rates.

It would be interesting to see if a HS stick might enable the PSP to keep up on a much higher encode bitrate or something - it just remains to be seen if higher transfer rates are allowed as part of the pro duo architecture, or if HS-ready devices are needed to take advantage of the extra speed.

EGM92

DHGamer said:
Anyone see this Lumines PC clone ?

Something to hold you over. Just the basic mechanics and no sound/music.

btw... only works in IE. Firefox is a no go.

Played that clone a while ago before I bought the import. IT'S HORRIBLE! it only has the very basic game mechanics and when you're trying to clear the screen it's nearly impossible to do it. But if you're not getting a PSP or not getting the game for a while. Try this out to get a very basic idea of how it plays.

vatstep

I saw an ad in the subway station tonight. It was white, with a picture of a PSP playing Wipeout Pure; underneath, it read, "Wi-Fi. Hi-Fi. Sci-Fi." Eye catching, I guess.

vatstep said:
I saw an ad in the subway station tonight. It was white, with a picture of a PSP playing Wipeout Pure; underneath, it read, "Wi-Fi. Hi-Fi. Sci-Fi." Eye catching, I guess.

I love google. :D

DSC00992.jpg

and another -

DSC00993.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
newsguy said:
Which is a true representation of the games they're promoting (maybe aside from MGA).

Hey, I'm looking forward to Death Jr. Don't you be hatin' none!

But seriously, the "Wi-Fi. Hi-Fi. Sci-Fi" advertisement is very slick.

Mrbob

I'm a little miffed right now because every non Activision and EA PSP launch game has dropped to $39.99 *except* Dynasty Warriors PSP! :lol Stupid Koei keeping the price at $49.99, what a joke! If Dynasty Warriors PSP is as feature packed as Dynasty Warriors 5 (Protip: It is not!) then I wouldn't mind paying $49.99 for it. As of now I'm skipping it and will wait for Dynasty Warriors 5!

Just got back from a TRU run. The local store has a nice display set up for the PSP already with boxes for all the first part Sony games. There were signs up that said "Coming Soon" and "Expect Arrival: March 24th, 2005". There were also a ton of empty PSP boxes on the shelves as well.

They also had a third party accessory pack that came with a nice metal case, wrist strap, screen cover, UMD case, and headphones, but I couldn't find a price on it anywhere.

newsguy

Defensor said:
What the hell? One UMD for online play?

I hope it's not some music that my import PSP won't play. that shit would suck.

Also, I have a question about wi-Fi for anyone who's used it yet. Is 40% enough to play smoothly (I found that one of my neighbors here has a wireless setup and appearantly I'm hacking into that signal). If it's not enough I can try the Starbucks down the street.

DHGamer

krypt0nian said:
Speaking of Game boxes -

MLB has 2 UMD's?

mlbback5uq.jpg

Can anyone "in the know" confirm if MLB 2006 is a launch day title like Gamestop seems to indicate? EBgames has it pushed back to 4/4.

Thanks

Doom_Bringer said:
Is Metal Gear Acid worth it or what? I loved MGS 3 :O

Depends on whether you like Front Mission 3/4 or action card games (KH GBA, PSO3, and so on) or not. The IGN Insider video absolutely sold me on the game, but I could see you being disappointed if you were expecting anything but a turn-based strategy card system.

Ironclad

Crazymoogle said:
Depends on whether you like Front Mission 3/4 or action card games (KH GBA, PSO3, and so on) or not. The IGN Insider video absolutely sold me on the game, but I could see you being disappointed if you were expecting anything but a turn-based strategy card system.
I agree. You have to know how to approach the game. It looks absolutely gorgeous and some of the different play mechanics seem incredibly interesting. The best advice would be to watch some various videos on it.

Go here and open up the Konami Gamers Day 2005 video. Then scroll to 59:20 to watch the MGA segment. That should help you make your decision.

Top Bottom