• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter |OT| A first person murder mystery (PC)

AsfaeksBR

If they can submit a build and test it inside 2 hours, that means the game is only 2 hours long!

Probably they didn't test the whole game.
But even if they did, they know all of the puzzles. They don't need to search for anything...
I bet 5~6 hours

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I admire their wish to launch with 100% of the bugs they're aware of squashed, but I think there just has to be a point where you're okay with one or two bugs that you can patch out later that night or the following day. There will be additional delay between making the build, testing the bugs out, confirming they're fixed, uploading everything to Valve for release, propagating through the CDN servers, etc.

They're really pushing themselves late over there, but I feel like this could have been easily avoided. Not a nice way to start the launch day for either the devs or those looking forward to the game.

I admire their wish to launch with 100% of the bugs they're aware of squashed, but I think there just has to be a point where you're okay with one or two bugs that you can patch out later that night or the following day. There will be additional delay between making the build, testing the bugs out, confirming they're fixed, uploading everything to Valve for release, propagating through the CDN servers, etc.

They're really pushing themselves late over there, but I feel like this could have been easily avoided. Not a nice way to start the launch day for either the devs or those looking forward to the game.

Its not even that, its not like the game was a week out and they delayed it a few days or week.

Today is the RELEASE day

MattyG

Banned
My timer said it was unlocking at 6pm Eastern, iirc.
Nah, it was 5, because I was waiting for the one at 1PM EST and when that expired they put up a new one that was 4 hours.

Did it say "1 hour left"? Because it only ticks down by 1 hour intervals on steam, so even if it's 459, it will say 1 hour left until it hits 5. At least that's what it's like for me.

Nah, it was 5, because I was waiting for the one at 1PM EST and when that expired they put up a new one that was 4 hours.

Did it say "1 hour left"? Because it only ticks down by 1 hour intervals on steam, so even if it's 459, it will say 1 hour left until it hits 5. At least that's what it's like for me.

Ah, okay. Hope to see it today then.

mbpm1

tumblr_lulxgpocCT1qbpugx.bmp

MattyG

Banned
I wish they'd at least let us pre-load the build they have now, and just not unlock it until they have a patch that they feel fixes what they're trying to fix. That way everyone will be ready when it finally unlocks instead of waiting another hour or two to donwload it.

Didnt they say follow them on twitter for updates too earlier today?
Yeah, but they haven't been very persistent about it. The last thing they tweeted was at 2 I think, with the "lighting baked..." tweet.

UnrealEck

I admire their wish to launch with 100% of the bugs they're aware of squashed, but I think there just has to be a point where you're okay with one or two bugs that you can patch out later that night or the following day.

Yep this is the point I was making earlier. A game is never really ever finished finished. Like 100% bug free. It seemed they delayed the game waaaay too close to release. Devs no doubt work on games right up to and past release date to squash bugs, but they'll release the game on the date they set and patch it. If there's some sort of bug that's serious enough to delay the game just hours before release, it makes me wonder WTF they've been doing.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Yep this is the point I was making earlier. A game is never really ever finished finished. Like 100% bug free. It seemed they delayed the game waaaay too close to release. Devs no doubt work on games right up to and past release date to squash bugs, but they'll release the game on the date they set and patch it. If there's some sort of bug that's serious enough to delay the game just hours before release, it makes me wonder WTF they've been doing.

This whole situation is bizarre.

artsi

I was kind of hyped yesterday and earlier today, but now, nah.. Please stick to your schedules, devs.

BadTaste

For what's it's worth, after they did Painkiller and before they did Bulletstorm, they were working a prototype for a survival horror game which got cancelled early in development. You can see screens of it here.

I get Silent Hill / Obscure vibes from that, looked like it could've been something special.

All told they've still got 6 hours. If they still release today, I don't think anyone can really complain. If they don't, we can all cry our eyes out and enjoy our truly first world problems.

Glad to hear the upload is starting.

All told they've still got 6 hours. If they still release today, I don't think anyone can really complain. If they don't, we can all cry our eyes out and enjoy our truly first world problems.

Doesn't work like that. There are a limited number of times in a day that they can push the game out, if I understand Valve's system correctly.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
This must be some really fucked up bug

Glad to hear the upload is starting.

Doesn't work like that. There are a limited number of times in a day that they can push the game out, if I understand Valve's system correctly.

I think they can push it out whenever. This same thing happened with King Arthur Roleplaying Wargame on release.

UnrealEck

^ man Ryse PC is looking really good.

I actually thought that when a game neared close to its release, there would be a version ready on Valve's Steam servers ready to go which could also be updated and accessed by the devs.
Just going on what I thought would be how they worked. Never looked into it or anything though.

inm8num2

Hopefully people get to play soon. There's a lot of excitement around this and it's be a shame to see that enthusiasm wane as the result of a delay, though I sympathize with the devs for needing to delay or make last-minute fixes.

Top Bottom