• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: Apple is losing the name game

Status
Not open for further replies.
iPad Air 3 would have made no sense because of Pencil support, etc.

Better would have been to just drop the iPad Air all together but I understand it dropping in price fills a pricing need. But still, would have been easier SKU wise to have iPad mini and iPad pro.

iPhone naming is fine with me. This talk of 6c or 6s Mini is not the way to go.

When Jobs came back to Apple I'm pretty sure he drew four squares within a square and said there should be four product types, two low-end models and two high end models, with two being for the casual consumer and two for the power user (it was something along those lines). They should really re-instate this line of thinking.

iPhone 6S Plus
iPhone 6S
iPhone 6S mini (what the SE should have been called)

And then have the 6 and 6 Plus available as well. Having older products than these causes confusion.

I think two sizes for the iPad Pro is fine, but the Air line needs to be retired.

iPad Pro (12.9 and 9.7 inch size options and bring the specs in line with each other asap, the fact that the 9.7 has a better camera is bizarre, make the only difference the size).
iPad mini (drop the numbers and just have one model available. If they really want two, just call the new one the iPad Pro mini)

As for the Mac's, merge the Air and the MacBook into one (pick either name and stick with it) and have one MacBook Pro with different screen sizes. Same with the iMac. Mac mini and Mac Pro are fine as is.

I think that would simplify a lot of the bullshit that's going on with their names and products right now.

akileese

Why didn't they just call the SE the iPhone 6 Mini? I mean it's not perfect, but they're clearly not against using the mini name and it is apt for the size of the device. I was so confused when I saw the name SE. I had no idea what the hell it was.

e:
When Jobs came back to Apple I'm pretty sure he drew four squares within a square and said there should be four product types, two low-end models and two high end models, with two being for the casual consumer and two for the power user (it was something along those lines). They should really re-instate this line of thinking.

iPhone 6S Plus
iPhone 6S
iPhone 6S mini (what the SE should have been called)

And then have the 6 and 6 Plus available as well. Having older products than these causes confusion.

I think two sizes for the iPad Pro is fine, but the Air line needs to be retired.

iPad Pro (12.9 and 9.7 inch size options and bring the specs in line with each other asap, the fact that the 9.7 has a better camera is bizarre, make the only difference the size).
iPad mini (drop the numbers and just have one model available. If they really want two, just call the new one the iPad Pro mini)

As for the Mac's, merge the Air and the MacBook into one (pick either name and stick with it) and have one MacBook Pro with different screen sizes. Same with the iMac. Mac mini and Mac Pro are fine as is.

I think that would simplify a lot of the bullshit that's going on with their names and products right now.

Yeah pretty much this exactly. They should have stayed with the plus, regular, mini naming scheme.

Septimius

The guy that totally dominates the online leader boards for PS4 Watch_dogs is named iPhone6s_mini. We were so close to honoring his name, then Apple go and ruin it :(

UrbanRats

Man, try to buy a goddamn television, this is nothing compared to that.
Sony PE32ex751-SE-p or Sony PE46sx750-SE-u? And be sure to get the second batch, with the better screens! (Must check serial number).

SeanR1221

When consumers just want an iPad, it won't matter.

Phone will be easy. You want small, medium or large.

I agree there are a lot of names to keep track of but does it really matter to most people who just "want an iPhone/iPad"

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Should combine the naming conventions of all of their lines like someone suggestedwith the unveiling of the new 7.

iPhone Mini (4")
iPhone (4.7")
iPhone Pro (5.5")

iPad Mini (8.9)
iPad (9.7)
iPad Pro (12.9)

MacBook 12"
MacBook Pro 13"
MacBook Pro 15"

This falls in line with "Mini," "-," and "Pro"; apply numbers as appropriate.

Futureman

I really think calling something "Mini" is a bad idea as it has a bad connotation especially among men.

Using the year as others have said is bad. No one wants to buy something called the iPad Mini 2013... sounds old and outdated as hell in 2016.

TylerD

I agree there are a lot of names to keep track of but does it really matter to most people who just "want an iPhone/iPad"

Consumer walks in to Apple store: "I want an iPad."

Apple store employee: "Will that be iPad Mini, Pro, Air and what size?"

Which one is the iPad?

Consumer goes to Apple.com looking for an iPad.

Clicks on www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

Which one is the iPad?

Air

Banned
I'm not sure how big of a deal this is when in essence you really just have a few main categories:

-iPhone
-iPad
-Apple Watch
-MacBook
-Mac

Having subgroups within these groups isn't an issue because most people will just want a 'iPhone' or an 'ipad' and they'll go to a store and get something in their price range. Apple is diversifying its options so anybody can walk into a store and find an apple gadget they want (and apple doesn't have to risk losing its high end branding).

It's actually really smart. I'm not an apple guy aside from their mobile devices, but everything they're doing makes sense to me.

Fliesen

Does the iPad Pro 9.7 essentially replace the air 2 then?

I thought it did. But I'm now confused

it will, next generation.
They're always keeping last year's model around at a lower entry price.

Just like they kept the original iPad mini around even when they released the retina model.

I don't think there will be an "iPad Air 3". Why bother?
The mini line will be more portable, the pro line will be more capable.

nillah

Banned
It's Apple. They are in a position where you'll buy their products no matter WHAT. Hence the lack of innovation.

goodcow

Screen-Shot-2014-01-28-at-5.29.38-PM-520x399.png

Absolutely not. I haven't worked in retail in some years but people do want something that fits them an is affordable. Saying, I want an iPad will force the sale rep to actually explain the different kinds. Consumers aren't stupid and buying an iPad isn't like walking into gamestop and saying, I want a Sony Playstation. There are way too many iPads, they all look the same and as an informed buyer myself, I also get lost in the name game. I do care that I'm not getting an outdated model and I'd be just as upset if someone handed me that one when there are newer models that are better but I wouldn't have known.

Fliesen

yeah, i was about to dig this up.

The issue is that everyone is-and-isn't a prosumer nowadays. Even the dumbest phones can do email and even the smartest phones barely have any 'pro' level features.

On the MacBook line, they're sure as hell going back to that nomenclature, once they've phased out the Macbook Air. Then we're back to "Macbook" and "Macbook Pro".

Apple's having a tough time already with the iPad mini being at "4" and the Air being at "2" (when actually, the iPad Air 2 was the 6th 'full sized' iPad). So i simply don't get why they're not going for the obvious / easy / transparent naming scheme with their new 4" phone, seeing as it's literally an iPhone 6S mini.

Tobor

Which one is the iPad?

Which one is the iPad?

Man, it's a wonder they've ever been able to sell a computer over there. /rolls eyes

Can we stop pretending this is some Byzantine logic puzzle?

It's small, medium, large, with a few price points for each. It's not the Gordian knot of shopping experiences.

UrbanRats

Man, it's a wonder they've ever been able to sell a computer over there. /rolls eyes

Can we stop pretending this is some Byzantine logic puzzle?

It's small, medium, large, with a few price points for each. It's not the Gordian knot of shopping experiences.
Consumer walks into MacDonald's...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Should have gone with the "iPhone 6S mini" or something, makes sense given the iPad mini line

Or drop the Mini, Nano, etc. by-line and just offer "iPhone 6S-six inch, iPhone6S-eight inch" and the like.

There's really no need for so many names when they're just the same product at a different size.

Consumer walks into MacDonald's...

Asks for a Big Mac. "Do you want to combo that?" Sure. "What size combo?" Small/Med/Large. It's still a Big Mac Combo. Which goes with what I'm saying: They should drop the various sub-titles and just have iPhone (whatever revision) and then size followed by that.

If a grandma at an Apple Store can figured out or have it explained in a few minutes I'm sure Apple will be ok.

Apple is much bigger than they were at the time of the G3 lol. They need a larger product line.

3AD101

Banned
I remember back in the 90'security when Apple had Macs under their Performa and Centris line. Sometime a difference in models was just the bundled software. It was insane and just part of how they were within a heartbeat of bankruptcy.

Edit:

They also had a Quadra series also.

Fuchsdh

releasing new devices with winding monikers like Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch

Yeah, none of their names are anywhere near that point. This is Verge's weird Apple fanboy Chicken Little reflex acting up again.

Right. Here, this looks like the iPhone SE is lesser than the 6, but really it's more powerful.

Do you think Apple really cares about that? They'd probably like you to buy the big phone with the higher ASP.

Fliesen

B88B75B3-9EE0-4E77-A2D6-E6D41C337894_zpsxv3e3ftw.png

Help, I'm frozen with fear! How do I navigate this corn maze of doom!

the SE looks "inferior" to the 6 though, which it isn't. it's literally a different form factor to the 6S though.

I don't believe for a single second that there's gonna be a "SE" line. This is clearly a one-off name, which is why it's so baffling that they're sticking with it for now. Especially seeing as it'd have fit perfectly amongst its 6S brethren.

The only reason i can think of that they'd be showing it as a separate "line" within their lineup (for now) is to make those, who aren't following Apple's hardware generations, aware that there's once again a smaller device that isn't some '2-years-ago' model.
There's certainly people around who don't like phones bigger than 4" and Apple doesn't want these people to miss the fact that the 6S now comes in 'small' as well.

thenexus6

I don't think they should've called the SE "Mini" because to some it implies it lacks in someway compared to the other models.

SeanR1221

Which one is the iPad?

Which one is the iPad?

Absolutely not. I haven't worked in retail in some years but people do want something that fits them an is affordable. Saying, I want an iPad will force the sale rep to actually explain the different kinds. Consumers aren't stupid and buying an iPad isn't like walking into gamestop and saying, I want a Sony Playstation. There are way too many iPads, they all look the same and as an informed buyer myself, I also get lost in the name game. I do care that I'm not getting an outdated model and I'd be just as upset if someone handed me that one when there are newer models that are better but I wouldn't have known.

You both missed my point completely. If a consumer wants an iPad, they're getting an iPad and they won't get so confused by the name that they'll skip over the product.

Articles like these are even sillier when apple is on top.

Fliesen

Wait, they went from iPad mini 2 to iPad mini 4? Why? iPad naming has been confusing for a while.

nope, there was no "iPad mini 2"

"iPad mini" "iPad mini with retina display" "iPad mini 3" (which was internally IDENTICAL to the 2nd generation, only adding gold color and a finger print reader) and "iPad mini 4" (which sports ever so slightly downclocked iPad Air 2 hardware)

flagship phones:
iPhone
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4
iPhone 4S
iPhone 5
iPhone 5C - iPhone 5S
iPhone 6 - iPhone 6+
iPhone SE - iPhone 6S - iPhone 6S+

7":
iPad mini
iPad mini (with Retina display)
iPad mini 3
iPad mini 4

9.7":
iPad
iPad 2
"the new iPad"
"iPad (with Retina display)"
iPad Air
iPad Air 2
iPad Pro (9,7")

12,9":
iPad Pro

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
Naming doesn't seem that complicated but they do need a bit of consistency in the timing of their updates and the technologies they are pushing. It's odd that they haven't gone full retina and usb-c + 3.1/thunderbolt + lightning across all the appropriate devices and offered to sell you the appropriate adaptors if needed. They don't have control over all the parts in their supply chain or all the technology standards but they are past due to update their entire OSX line up. It's oversimplifying but it would be ideal if they could update their OSX line every 2-3 years and iOS line every 1-2 years leaving the in between time to focus on software and service updates.

iMac (21.5' + 27')

Mac
Mac Pro

MacBook (12' + 13.3')
MacBook Pro (13.3' + 15.4')

iPad (7.9' + 9.7')
iPad Pro (9.7' + 12.9')

iPhone (4' + 4.7')
iPhone + (5.5')

iPod (4')

watch (38mm + 42mm)

tv

+ various hardware accessories

OS-X
iOS

watchOS
tvOS

+ various software and services

They maintain their consumer and professional models and drop the sequential naming conventions by labeling their devices by the CPU and display size as they've implied all along (iPhone 6S+ would be 'iPhone' engraved [A9, 5.5'] on the box and back for example). I'm sure they will figure out how to price appropriately between models.

The reasons they don't go this route are probably because as unnecessary as they may seem the air, mini and nano monikers are great for marketing in an industry where thin and light matters, it might be confusing for consumers already used to the 5, 6, 7 sequencing and maybe most importantly it would be hard for them to keep selling older models at a discount alongside newer ones (not that they really have to).

Tobor

Right. Here, this looks like the iPhone SE is lesser than the 6, but really it's more powerful.

You're assuming they should be arranged by "power". That's only one way to look at it.

The SE is the budget model. They're arranged by price.

ExVicis

Ha, I remember complaining about this exact very subject in another thread and several people tried to convince me it wasn't so bad. I kind of feel vindicated now.

massoluk

Banned
If you are in the know, it's still very easy. If you are outside the circle, you will need a bit of effort to educate yourself.

Still 1000000x better than the Samsung clusterfuck with 50+ products.
Bah, Samsung's flagships are really just S and S Note right now, without Generation nonsense to confuse people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom