• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead - Season 1 - A Telltale Games Series (Steam/PSN/XBLA/iOS/Mac)

sixghost

I don't think they're going to have to worry. I've now played through 3 times. Each time I played radically different and each time they come back to the same basic endings. So I think at the end of the day when all 5 are done you really aren't going to have that many different endings needed.

Having went back and read the spoilers earlier in the thread, it's pretty disappointing how hollow a lot of the choices are. I suppose it just wouldn't be feasible to potentially kill off characters in the first of five episodes,
such as Ken's son dying during the choice at the farm
, since that would require them to rewrite just about every single line of dialogue he has, since that would obviously change his character significantly.

Hopefully that doesn't continue throughout the series, so much of the tension in some of those conversations came from not knowing how bad the consequences could have been if I got caught in a lie, or said the wrong thing. I wonder if it would have been a better choice to do self contained stories that lasted only one or two episodes, so they wouldn't need to deal with all the long term production realities of a game like that.

Roto13

Having went back and read the spoilers earlier in the thread, it's pretty disappointing how hollow a lot of the choices are. I suppose it just wouldn't be feasible to potentially kill off characters in the first of five episodes,
such as Ken's son dying during the choice at the farm
, since that would require them to rewrite just about every single line of dialogue he has, since that would obviously change his character significantly.

Hopefully that doesn't continue throughout the series, so much of the tension in some of those conversations came from not knowing how bad the consequences could have been if I got caught in a lie, or said the wrong thing. I wonder if it would have been a better choice to do self contained stories that lasted only one or two episodes, so they wouldn't need to deal with all the long term production realities of a game like that.

Regarding the choice on the farm, Shaun was doomed from the beginning. :p He's in the comics as a zombie. That guy was not going to survive. :p

ElRenoRaven

Regarding the choice on the farm, Shaun was doomed from the beginning. :p He's in the comics as a zombie. That guy was not going to survive. :p

Exactly. That choice was never really a choice. The other one like that though was totally a choice. I figure from here on out we'll see a lot more choices that matter.

Rf0f7.jpg
WINNER! Check your PM! :)

Well I think season 1 was definitely better than 2 but 2 was still better than a lot of the other crap on TV...it got a lot better towards the end.

wow, respectfully disagree. Second to the last episode was the strongest episode of the series- including the pilot

Really enjoyed it. The scenes were well written and acted, except for that one line Glenn has
when you reach the girl trapped in the motel room. She's talking about how she's been bitten, and mentions her boyfriend, and his response is something along the lines of "oh, you have a boyfriend?"
Which is just a completely tone inappropriate line.. I was surprised how perfectly they pull off the feel of being in a hopeless situation. At every point it seems like something is going to go wrong,

Totally disagree, since it makes sense given what we know of his character from the show.

His motivation for saving
the girl in the hotel was TOTALLY self interested. the dude is a total virgin white knight at that point, and the facade totally cracks when we see that he's NOT really primarily interested in her well being (as Carly calls him out on) but is instead looking to be the "hero" to that girl and score points. It was totally appropriate AND hilarious and a high point of the episode for me.

Roto13

Season 2 had more great episodes than season 1. It also had more bad ones. :p

Definitely agree about the second last episode being amazing. Holy crap, that one scene is just burned into my mind.

sixghost

wow, respectfully disagree. Second to the last episode was the strongest episode of the series- including the pilot

Totally disagree, since it makes sense given what we know of his character from the show.

His motivation for saving
the girl in the hotel was TOTALLY self interested. the dude is a total virgin white knight at that point, and the facade totally cracks when we see that he's NOT really primarily interested in her well being (as Carly calls him out on) but is instead looking to be the "hero" to that girl and score points. It was totally appropriate AND hilarious and a high point of the episode for me.

I've never seen the show or read the comics.
Even if that was the entire reason he was interested in saving her, it's a death sentence. Shouldn't his reaction have been more focused on the 'she might as well be dead' part, rather than the 'has a boyfriend' part.
The whole episode(and seemingly the series) was grim and serious, which is part of why I liked it. That line just struck me as an extremely out of place bit of comic relief.

Just finished it, liked it a lot. How long until ep. 2?

Also the part at the end where
it compares your choices with everyone else's was a real neat idea. Here we're my choices:

Imgur

Ketch

I want to buy this but I'm trying to save money.

I enjoy the comics more then show. Should I spend $24 for the season pass on steam or $22 for season 2 of the show on iTunes?

ElRenoRaven

I want to buy this but I'm trying to save money.

I enjoy the comics more then show. Should I spend $24 for the season pass on steam or $22 for season 2 of the show on iTunes?

If you enjoy the comics more then the show without a doubt the game. I've put 8 hours and counting in on just episode 1. Not even kidding. If you like the comics you'll like the game.

sixghost

It's busted. The stats are tracked but the server is affected by the same issue affecting their download server hence it's not working right now either.

Looking at that image the guy posted, my version of that screen was super-busted. Instead of saying
Lie to Herschel, Duck or Shawn, etc
it just said
CHAPTER ONE DECISION ONE
CHAPTER TWO DECISION TWO

ElRenoRaven

Looking at that image the guy posted, my version of that screen was super-busted. Instead of saying
it just said
CHAPTER ONE DECISION ONE
CHAPTER TWO DECISION TWO

Yea. Once they get everything fixed it should be fine and display that info. That's what the Telltale guys said on the forum at least.

L00P

it just said
CHAPTER ONE DECISION ONE
CHAPTER TWO DECISION TWO

Oh man, that happened to me! I knew something was wrong with mine

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
what, this game is good? I had it on auto ignore in my brain because I label everything like this 'licensed shit ignore'

off to read some reviews I guess.

GeoramA

Aw man, dat episode 2 preview... I really liked the way episode 1 ended. No cliffhanger thank god.

Question about Glenn:
Did anybody try to tell Glenn not to leave? What happens if you do? I assume he leaves anyway since it's canon to the series.

SparkTR

Aw man, dat episode 2 preview... I really liked the way episode 1 ended. No cliffhanger thank god.

Question about Glenn:
Did anybody try to tell Glenn not to leave? What happens if you do? I assume he leaves anyway since it's canon to the series.

He says something like 'I'd rather be dead and know that I tried, than be alive and not'. He still leaves.

SleazyC

Played through last night and generally enjoyed it (PC). One thing I never got was the QTE's it seemed like I just got lucky whenever I completed a section with a QTE in it.

RPGCrazied

It didn't? I think you should replay the ending again, cause
They are at the motel right? All the lights were on? At the very end all the lights turn OFF. I'd say thats a cliffhanger.

lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just a heads up:

If anyone is having issues with the interface and visuals appearing offset or glitchy and you're using an nVidia card TURN OFF FXAA.

The game was totally messed up yesterday and testing other TTG games showed the same issues. I also found that Crysis 2 was crashing after every level. Turns out all of that was caused by the global FXAA setting. It works with most games but it definitely breaks others.

Ugh, really? That's sad. I love the fact we get to play with a black main character.
Absolutely. He's not even a stereotype or anything (at least thus far). He's a nice change.

I don't read the comic or watch tv show, but the good impression here make me want to buy this. my previous experience with telltale is only Monkey Island episodes which I love, and Sam and Max, which I don't like. what are the chances of me liking this game?

Atruvius

Bought the season pass and just completed the first episode. GOD DAMN! It was amazing. The atmosphere at the drug store was tense and the music there was top notch! Back to the Future was good but this just knocks right out of the park. Sure there were some hitches and framerate took a dive here and there but it dull the experience for me.

Lee, Kenny and Carla are great character. Don't want anything bad happening to them. That old guy is a prick, though.

All of my choices were in the majority and I think I'll play it through again next week to see the other choices.

Now I'm really excited to get the comic book. Hopefully I'll get it next week.

Completed it. Enjoyed it a lot. Really nails the tone of the series. VA is not bad at all.

Larry is a dick.
I'm hoping he gets his come uppance soon.

Does anyone else get the feeling that Duck is in fact Andy from Toy Story?
Yeah he does, I was thinking the same thing.

I don't read the comic or watch tv show, but the good impression here make me want to buy this. my previous experience with telltale is only Monkey Island episodes which I love, and Sam and Max, which I don't like. what are the chances of me liking this game?
Very good as long as you like zombies.

derFeef

Very good as long as you like zombies.

I think the people and the situations are far more prominent and important than the zombies (like comic and show also, they nailed it in the game too). If you REALLY hate zombies I can see why you would not want to play it, but then you should not even consider it ;)

ElRenoRaven

Is there any chance of a retail release similar to Back to the Future?

I wouldn't put it past them to do a retail release after the season is over.

Absolutely. He's not even a stereotype or anything (at least thus far). He's a nice change.

Yea some people are dicks. I didn't even think about what color he is. He's just a very interesting character I think.

I'm hoping he gets his come uppance soon.

You and me both. I'd save the others but he so must die. I can't wait to let him too.

I think the people and the situations are far more prominent and important than the zombies (like comic and show also, they nailed it in the game too). If you REALLY hate zombies I can see why you would not want to play it, but then you should not even consider it ;)

Exactly. The franchise be it comics, tv show, now this game really isn't about the zombies. It's about the people and how they deal with it and survive. That's one reason I really love The Walking Dead. It's not just mindless zombie killing. It's more how would we deal with it and how do we survive this while not losing our humanity.

Top Bottom