• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead - Season 1 - A Telltale Games Series (Steam/PSN/XBLA/iOS/Mac)

ElRenoRaven

So there's really no gameplay at all, I dont know then, I would like to play a game not watch a game, even for $5.

Yes there is gameplay. Some people simply don't like the kind of gameplay it is. Have you ever played Sam & Max? If so it's like that. It's a basically a point and click adventure game. It's not an action game. It's very much a dialog driven game.

Mrbob

ITT some people try to figure out what adventure games are.

I bought The Walking Dead compendium one from Amazon last holiday season but never finished the after the first couple issues. After finishing episode 1 I'm going to dig in. No second compendium, but I noticed I can buy bundled issues from Comixology on Ipad so I'll do that once compendium one is finished. Kirkman should thank you Telltale for having me spend more money on TWD franchise!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
For those who have never seen Walking Dead, how's the game and storyline? Is it understandable?

Revolver

I played the demo last night and really enjoyed it. Does the full game have Move support? Seems like it would be a nobrainer to include it with what's basically a point and click adventure.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
For those who have never seen Walking Dead, how's the game and storyline? Is it understandable?

First piece of Walking Dead media for me and it was completely understandable. I hear it's its own story with its own characters, so it should be fine for everyone. There may be some references I missed, but no big deal.

taoofjord

So there's really no gameplay at all, I dont know then, I would like to play a game not watch a game, even for $5.

It's a choose-your-own-adventure game. Previous versions of these haven't quite nailed it (Heavy Rain, Mass Effect somewhat) but this seems to be really well done. If you're not interested in those then it's probably not worth your time. I loved it though. It's certainly not perfect but the writing is pretty good (and voice acting) and the choices are interesting.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
First piece of Walking Dead media for me and it was completely understandable. I hear it's its own story with its own characters, so it should be fine for everyone. There may be some references I missed, but no big deal.

I wonder if the 1st episode doesn't have the most "connection" to the main series. The 2 main set pieces have large connections to it, while building up the main 2 characters, and introducing 4 or so new characters into the fold. From here out, they can build off them, and not lean as heavy on the original story.

Anyone else chuckle at
How Glenn still doesn't really mention his family. I think I've read most of the comics, and I've watched the show, and he never really has talked about them. I think off hand, he's mentioned a mom and a sister. But that's all I remember him saying. Like it's a running gag, finding ways to NOT have him mention where he came from.

I like the added color touch to the subtitles. The Colors do kind of match the character. Red for Douchebag Father!

ElRenoRaven

Yup it's self contained. You only have some characters from the comics appear at times but it doesn't require knowing anything about the comics. You'll get more joy out of it though if you do read them.

After playing the game, I went out and got the comics. I will say, the comics move much faster than the TV show! Wow.

Yes they do. The comics do a lot of things better then the show. Course there are a couple things I like better in the show but for the most part the comics do blow it out of the water.

ElRenoRaven

How long is ep 1?

I came in at exactly 2 hours. That's about the norm for Telltale games though. You'll find that regularly each episode is about 2 hours on the norm. Occasionally you'll find one that's longer and one that's shorter. So when you think about it with there being 4 episodes you'll end up with about an 8 hour game. That's not bad considering there are a lot of 60 buck games that are lucky to hit 8 hours.

I just bought the game from the psn store and it won't 'activate' or whatever. It's still giving me the trial version. I downloaded the demo from the US store last night on another account and just bought the episode. Anyone else having the same problem?
Also, apparently you can't just download the episode, you have to download the trial then unlock the full episode. I'm now redownloading the demo all over again to try to get this to work.

KevinCow

Banned
I wonder if the 1st episode doesn't have the most "connection" to the main series. The 2 main set pieces have large connections to it, while building up the main 2 characters, and introducing 4 or so new characters into the fold. From here out, they can build off them, and not lean as heavy on the original story.

I've only watched the show, haven't read the comics:
does the drug store pop up in the comics?

Lonestar

I've only watched the show, haven't read the comics:
does the drug store pop up in the comics?

No,
but Glenn is what I'm talking about. Game shows where Glenn was at the beginning, that he was living in Macon, and came up to Atlanta because he was worried about some friends. Also probably introduces the suicide vs. living choice to him. In my game, I let the girl kill herself, and that seems to harden Glenn's position of Hope and "Not giving up", which is how he's always been in the Comics and show.

GeoramA

Trying to pick all the nice guy choices, but they can be tricky sometimes. Guess that's done on purpose.

Just finished the part at the
motel. It was pretty emotional with the suicidal girl who was bitten. I didn't give her the gun, but the balcony collapsed and she got a hold of the gun and shot herself in the head. Glenn puked...lol

This game is awesome. If you like Telltale games or The Walking Dead, buy the season pass without hesitation.

KevinCow

Banned
Another question about the comic, with spoilers about the season 2 finale of the show:
In the show, it was revealed that the virus isn't spread through bites, but is already in everyone, so anyone who dies by something other than brain trauma will come back. Is that how it is in the comic? Because I gave the chick the gun, and I'd feel really bad about that if it turned out she wasn't actually going to become a zombie from that bite.

Trying to pick all the nice guy choices, but they can be tricky sometimes. Guess that's done on purpose.

motel. It was pretty emotional with the suicidal girl who was bitten. I didn't give her the gun, but the balcony collapsed and she got a hold of the gun and shot herself in the head. Glenn puked...lol

This game is awesome. If you like Telltale games or The Walking Dead, buy the season pass without hesitation.

That's... kinda lame to hear. Seems like a lot of things will turn out the same regardless of your choices. That was a big problem I had with Heavy Rain. This whole promise of, "EVERYTHING YOU DO MATTERS!" But at the end of the day, no, most things you did didn't matter.

Of course, this game's voice actors aren't failing horribly at faking an American accent, and the art style dodges the horrible uncanny valley faces, so it's already two big steps ahead of Heavy Rain in my book.

Lonestar

Another question about the comic, with spoilers about the season 2 finale of the show:
In the show, it was revealed that the virus isn't spread through bites, but is already in everyone, so anyone who dies by something other than brain trauma will come back. Is that how it is in the comic? Because I gave the chick the gun, and I'd feel really bad about that if it turned out she wasn't actually going to become a zombie from that bite.

Yeah, in the comic, everyone already has "it" and will turn after any death, barring the brain being destroyed. So, if she wasn't bitten and just injured and thought she was bitten, if she ended up dying from the wound, she'd turn. The bite from a zombie is a secondary thing, that must be like being killed with "poison" or something else, that kills with 100% effectiveness. Though most bites are gruesome neck-destroying bites, that'd kill you from blood-loss fast.

ElRenoRaven

Comic Spoilers ahoy

In the comic
Rick does figure it out but there isn't a moment like in the show where it's told to him because they don't go to the CDC in the comic.

oh man that's outstanding. I might replay it just for that scene.

Did anyone else LOL when
Lee and Carly are shocked that the girl had been bitten, but to Glenn the shocking thing was that she had a boyfriend?

This one is tricky.
yes, everyone is infected already, and will turn if they die by ANY means that doesn't destroy the brain. However, Zombie bites are extremely septic and tend to cause a fever which will rapidly kill anyone with a bite anyway. so the girl at the motel was almost 100% certain to turn at that point.

ElRenoRaven

oh man that's outstanding. I might replay it just for that scene.

Did anyone else LOL when
Lee and Carly are shocked that the girl had been bitten, but to Glenn the shocking thing was that she had a boyfriend?

Yup. I just couldn't stop laughing at that. Well till I had to make the choice I had to make. Then I was kind of saddened.

I have a free Steam code to give away, it's a full season pass for all five episodes ($24.99 value). Best photo of you making an awesome zombie face gets it. Post 'em here and I'll pick a winner at 7pm PST :)

Bonus points for creativity/gore.

This is a STEAM code, good for PC/Mac. I'll try to get some XBLA codes for a separate giveaway on Friday.

As someone who disliked BTTF and thought Jurassic Park was only a minor step above, I'm really digging this so far. I don't know how it performs on other platforms, but I'm getting a lot of stuttering and freezing in the PS3 version -- after how technically incompetent JP was I really hoped that they wouldn't let this sort of thing happen again, but uh, there it is.

Other than the technical shortcomings, it looks good, is pretty well written, and has nice characters. I also like the way it plays overall compared to some of Telltale's recent efforts.

Better than their other recent efforts, but it's ultimately pointless buying it on PS3 as it will inevitably be available for 'free' through PS+ eventually, just as with all their previous games.

ElRenoRaven

I have a free Steam code to give away, it's a full season pass for all five episodes ($24.99 value). Best photo of you making an awesome zombie face gets it. Post 'em here and I'll pick a winner at 7pm PST :)

This is a STEAM code, good for PC/Mac. I'll try to get some XBLA codes for a separate giveaway on Friday.

Hmm. Might have to let a friend know. Maybe he can get an entry in assuming he really wants it bad enough and remembers his login info here. lol.

Tek

LOL - I doubt this counts BUT its worth a shot

It is a zombie face tho

296693_10150289051709253_665264252_7578954_4659402_n.jpg

Or how about...

69017_457286374252_665264252_5273906_5008413_n.jpg

Fine a real gore shot...I woke up this way after a trip to the dentist...

REAL BLOOD FTW

480920_10150758043184253_665264252_9350107_1561335600_n.jpg

Lonestar

Could there be another gift if you've already purchased the season pass ;P

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, you're going to get a lot more out of this game if you're into the fiction of TWD. Same goes with Jurassic Park and BttF, these games are fan service at their finest (well, maybe not Jurassic Park).

I disagree. I think the comics are some of cheesiest shit I've subjected myself too and the TV show is relatively bad. That said, I really enjoyed this game. To give some perspective, I didn't even finish BTTF and I'm a big fan of that series. This game stands alone just fine.

I disagree. I think the comics are some of cheesiest shit I've subjected myself too and the TV show is relatively bad. That said, I really enjoyed this game. To give some perspective, I didn't even finish BTTF and I'm a big fan of that series. This game stands alone just fine.

I... uh... okay?

Top Bottom