• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead - Season 1 - A Telltale Games Series (Steam/PSN/XBLA/iOS/Mac)

ElRenoRaven

How long does it take to burn through it?

The average time on any episode in Telltale's games is 2 hours. That holds true for this one. My first play through was exactly 2 hours. Subsequent play throughs of course go faster because you know what to do in those. You'll find though thanks to the decisions you make in this game you'll play through it multiple times just to see how the different choices change things.

Comic and game spoilers:
Well, you'll never have to save Lilly, anyway. :p

Yup. But in the comic
she never had daddy there. Hence there is a very good chance I can still let that sob die.

Roto13

The average time on any episode in Telltale's games is 2 hours. That holds true for this one. My first play through was exactly 2 hours. Subsequent play throughs of course go faster because you know what to do in those. You'll find though thanks to the decisions you make in this game you'll play through it multiple times just to see how the different choices change things.

Yup. But in the comic
she never had daddy there. Hence there is a very good chance I can still let that sob die.

Yup. I'm counting on
being able to let Larry die. In fact he might just die regardless.

ElRenoRaven

Anyone know if there'll be a season pass for the XBLA version?

Nope. Due to Microsoft refusing to allow them for XBLA titles you have to buy each episode separately when they are released. They'll all still function the same and your choices from one will carry over to the others still. It's just that you can't buy them all at once.

ElRenoRaven

No problem. I think it's stupid. Course I guess 360 users should be happy they're getting it at all. Telltale had a falling out with Microsoft for a long while there and several things never released on 360. BTTF being one of the largest examples.

Kinyou

Played through it last night and really liked it. I think it even pulls the whole "interactive story" thing better off than Heavy Rain.

I was also surprised at how likeable the child character is. Usually those are rather annoying in videogames, but here you really had the feeling that you had to care for her.

What I hope is that in this type of game your decisions will actually carry a little more weight (they have the advantage that the episodes are rather short) than in games like Mass Effect. Would suck if the character you saved would just die at the beginning of the next episode.
It was a really nice touch that the preview to the next episode already included consequences to my decisions. Felt like a trailer that was specifically made for me.

sixghost

Giant bomb quick look sold me. Looks like a ton of fun for 5 bucks.

If that part of the game sold you, you're really going to enjoy the game. That section they showed is definitely the least interesting of the first episode. The 3-4 minutes immediately preceding the point at which they started, and the rest of the game following the point they stopped are all great.

BiggNife

Ah but things are hinting to him actually being an innocent man. One that was an upstanding citizen who taught at a college.
I thought some of the choices implied he actually did it. Particularly when Clementine asks you if you killed anyone after you're confronted by Carley.

ElRenoRaven

I thought some of the choices implied he actually did it. Particularly when Clementine asks you if you killed anyone after you're confronted by Carley.

Good point. Course flashes do show that there was probably a fight. So if a fight happened what happened could have been entirely an accident. Course he would blame himself for it. So the guilt could just be his guilt for the fight which led to the accident. We Don't know. Blaming yourself can do funny things.

Either way I think eventually we'll find out.

Sadist

Comic and game spoilers:
Well, you'll never have to save Lilly, anyway. :p

Oh wait wait
Lilly is in the comic as well? Where? Can't remember it...

Regarding the discussion about Lee:

While at Hershell's, Lee wakes up from a nightmare. During the dream you hear a woman's voice (probably his ex-wife) telling him that she loves him and afterwards a scream. I think that's because when she found Lee with the the body

ElRenoRaven

Oh wait wait
Lilly is in the comic as well? Where? Can't remember it...

Regarding the discussion about Lee:

While at Hershell's, Lee wakes from a nightmare. During the dream you hear a woman's voice (probably his ex-wife) telling him that she loves him and afterwards a scream. I think that's because when she found Lee with the the body

Lily was the one who Killed The Governor after they killed Lori and the baby.

Roto13

Lily was the one who went with Rick and them when leaving Woodbury. She Killed The Govenor after they killed Lori and the baby.

She's the one who killed Lori and the baby, too. Which is why I'm nice to her. Anyone who kills Lori is ok in my book.

I think you might be blurring the lines between Lilly and that medic who went with Rick to the prison.

ElRenoRaven

Intentional double post this time but for good reason.

The game is now available on Telltale's very own website! So if you have been waiting for that version go hit the site up and grab it now.

derFeef

Oh damn that sucks. Did you switch versions or something? Like from Steam to Telltale's?

On Steam, I was about to wrap it up. I have 3 New Game slots but the save is not there. I am looking for the files on the drive right now... that can't be right.

edit: hmm there are 9 save files in the telltale forder under documents.

ElRenoRaven

On Steam, I was about to wrap it up. I have 3 New Game slots but the save is not there. I am looking for the files on the drive right now... that can't be right.

Hmm. Don't think I've seen anyone complain about that problem. Might check Telltale's support forum them. If nothing there then might make a post there to let them know because if it happened to you then surely it will or has happened to others.

ElRenoRaven

Fuck them.

I'll just get it on my US account >_>

Well I can't blame them. Why bother when it's been proven that the ratings board there tend to have sticks up their asses. I really feel for you guys there because you guys get caught in the middle of this. You don't get a lot of games and then those you do tend to be overpriced as all hell from everything I read.

So I played around with the Telltale installer. It recognizes the Steam install and says you already have the game installed if you have the steam version on your PC. It then says it can uninstall that version for you and keep your saves etc. So that tells me that your steam save it compatible with the one from the site.

Got the season pass today and just finished episode 1 - a terrific experience all in all. Really reminded me of Heavy Rain with the whole 'interactive movie' aesthetic and moral choices. Very tense at times too. Easily the best Telltale game I've played since Tales Of Monkey Island.

sixghost

There was another weird thing like that in the Pharmacy.
If you talk to a specific person before exploring the office, you find out that Lee's parents own the store through a dialogue choice, rather than discovering it for yourself by finding the picture, or entering the office. Finding out about that, and that he actually was guilty through a dialogue choice was a weird choice.

Kinyou

btw. did anyone also encounter this bug?
I got those batteries for the radio, gave them to carly, but whenever I talked to her all I could say was "I'm going to look for some batteries"

burn

Neo Member

edit: hmm there are 9 save files in the telltale forder under documents.

This happened to me too. What I did was:

Copy the .save files to another folder. Start a new game and play until it saves (I played the intro, until the
crash
I don't know if it creates a save before). Exit the game.
Go to the Telltale folder. Copy the name of the last modified file and delete it.
Find the biggest file of your old saves (this should be your last save) and copy it to the Telltale folder, giving it the name of that last modified save.
Run the game and your old save should be there.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I'm guessing they are saving a retail release for October (Halloween/Season 2 of Walking Dead series)..... damn my slow ass Satellite Internet connection. I need to haul my PS3 to a friend's house to pick this and Journey up, it's just such a hassle lol.

BiggNife

There was another weird thing like that in the Pharmacy.
If you talk to a specific person before exploring the office, you find out that Lee's parents own the store through a dialogue choice, rather than discovering it for yourself by finding the picture, or entering the office. Finding out about that, and that he actually was guilty through a dialogue choice was a weird choice.
I think what was supposed to happen is that the game assumed you talked to Lilly first. Lee's reactions to what Lilly says make it clear what happened and why he cares.

Holy smokes! My interest in this game went from zero to "piqued" today so I bought it based on what I read in this thread. My expectations was exceeded by far. Interesting gameplay mechanics that actually works well and one hell of an atmosphere. The moment where you
first get to the pharmacy
is one of the most tense moments I ever experienced in gaming.

It's a shame the sound is completely broken on PC though. They need to sort that shit out. When is the next episode out?

ElRenoRaven

Holy smokes! My interest in this game went from zero to "piqued" today so I bought it based on what I read in this thread. My expectations was exceeded by far. Interesting gameplay mechanics that actually works well and one hell of an atmosphere. The moment where you
first get to the pharmacy
is one of the most tense moments I ever experienced in gaming.

It's a shame the sound is completely broken on PC though. They need to sort that shit out. When is the next episode out?

No release date set for Episode 2 yet. However Telltale usually releases monthly with the occasional skip of a month sometimes. So basically we don't know for sure yet.

Darklord

Banned
Finished it. Damn, that was pretty great. Good characters and actually felt tense in some bits. Do you choices carry through the entire game? I hope they actually do have a bug impact and not just half arsed.

*edit*

Damn those edits while typing a reply. lol.

Haha, sorry!

derFeef

This happened to me too. What I did was:

Copy the .save files to another folder. Start a new game and play until it saves (I played the intro, until the
crash
I don't know if it creates a save before). Exit the game.
Go to the Telltale folder. Copy the name of the last modified file and delete it.
Find the biggest file of your old saves (this should be your last save) and copy it to the Telltale folder, giving it the name of that last modified save.
Run the game and your old save should be there.

That worked (with a few attempts), thanks a ton!

Finished it, it was excellent!

Top Bottom