• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead - Season 1 - A Telltale Games Series (Steam/PSN/XBLA/iOS/Mac)

I disagree. I think the comics are some of cheesiest shit I've subjected myself too and the TV show is relatively bad. That said, I really enjoyed this game. To give some perspective, I didn't even finish BTTF and I'm a big fan of that series. This game stands alone just fine.

You're the first I've met who hasn't liked the TV show...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
You're the first I've met who hasn't liked the TV show...

never made it to season two. I thought the pilot was outstanding, but the show started relying more and more on the most predictable TV tropes with every episode. I finished season one and never came back. I thought this was a fairly popular opinion. I haven't kept up with the show at all since then. I don't have the time to watch shows I only occasionally like.

smr00

Banned
I disagree. I think the comics are some of cheesiest shit I've subjected myself too and the TV show is relatively bad. That said, I really enjoyed this game. To give some perspective, I didn't even finish BTTF and I'm a big fan of that series. This game stands alone just fine.
You are the first person i have ever met that has disliked the comics and the show, guess it's just for you.

To each to own i suppose, i among millions of others find the comics to be fantastic and the show great but then again millions think call of duty is a great game.

Neverfade

I have a free Steam code to give away, it's a full season pass for all five episodes ($24.99 value). Best photo of you making an awesome zombie face gets it. Post 'em here and I'll pick a winner at 7pm PST :)

Bonus points for creativity/gore.

This is a STEAM code, good for PC/Mac. I'll try to get some XBLA codes for a separate giveaway on Friday.

Rf0f7.jpg

never made it to season two. I thought the pilot was outstanding, but the show started relying more and more on the most predictable TV tropes with every episode. I finished season one and never came back. I thought this was a fairly popular opinion. I haven't kept up with the show at all since then. I don't have the time to watch shows I only occasionally like.

Well I think season 1 was definitely better than 2 but 2 was still better than a lot of the other crap on TV...it got a lot better towards the end.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I... uh... okay?
I read quite a few of them (got up to a the village-chief story, I believe, quite a time after the prison), because they were essentially going to be my gateway to comics, having not read many before.

I'll readily admit that it might be because I don't have the required visual/mental vocabulary to appreciate a good comic series, but the story constantly felt horribly shallow, direction-less and beholden to whether or not the creator felt bored with his current scenarios. I don't think that sort of format is particularly conducive to amazing story-telling over a long period of time. The author is forced to keep writing and writing and writing, and as a result the drama and character-arcs all become very flat, both at the time and even more-so in hindsight. I like my stories to be very finite in structure with clear (or deliberately unclear) direction. Nothing about the comics felt like they had that deliberate authorial intent, especially after so many pages.

I've probably just alienated a bunch of people. I really did want to like the comics. I didn't go into it with a particularly cynical attitude.

The first half of season 2 was even worse than season 1, but the second half was much better. Easily the best bunch of episodes from the show since the pilot. After Darabont left/got fired and Glen Mazzara took over, the show got much better.

However, if you disliked the comics I really can't see you liking the show either, the show is nowhere near as good as the comic.

Roto13

Spoiler for both the comics and game:

When I met Lilly in the game, I thought she was Lori, so I told her to shut the fuck up because I, like everyone else, have always wanted to. Then I realized she was actually Lilly, the person who actually KILLS Lori in the comic, so I reset so I could be civil to her even though she was being a megabitch.

I really hope Lori shows up at some point so I can tell her to shut up.

I like that it shows you how many people made the same choices you did. That's a nice touch.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It seems like hating the TV show as it has gone on is actually quite common on the net. The consensus seems to be somewhere in the middle, but I see it quite often.

I'm the only person in my group of friends that can't stand the show. Never dove into S2 and on, the first was just unbelievably bad.

Symphonic

It seems like hating the TV show as it has gone on is actually quite common on the net. The consensus seems to be somewhere in the middle, but I see it quite often.

The more popular a show is, the more voiced people are about their opinions, whether good or bad.

Is there any way to just get the first episode? I'd really like to try one out before I invest the money for the rest of the series.

Aphexian

I'm the only person in my group of friends that can't stand the show. Never dove into S2 and on, the first was just unbelievably bad.

I'm a huge fan of the comics and you chose the same path I did. I was so mad to see what changes they made to the story line and as soon as they did that CDC arc and Shane was still alive when he should have been killed long long ago I stopped watching. I just wanted a tv show version of the story I lovedl. I was deeply upset when I knew all these changes were happening and Robert Kirkman gave the go ahead on them.

vazel

Banned
I was intent on hating this game after the crapfest that was JP but I enjoyed myself. I'm still disappointed in the direction Telltale has taken regarding puzzles but at least they made up for it by being able to influence the narrative. They also did a good job of building tension.

MauriceM

I played through Episode 1 last night on Steam. 2.5 hours, really interesting characters, looks fantastic, worked well with a gamepad. I did experience some bugs like placeholder text at the end screen and really poor sound (low-fi and hitching) issues. Hopefully those get fixed.

You can just buy the first episode for $5. Or try the demo.
Not on PC.

Ah thanks a bunch

Guess there will be a patch for it soon eh?
Glad it worked.

And that's the hope. Telltale's currently trying to figure out what the problem is. Last I read, they haven't been able to replicate this on their systems. If you want to help, you can sign up to their forums and post your DXDiag info for them in this thread

Aphexian

So, I bought it on PSN, downloaded and installed it. But I can't find it anywhere. I've tried 3 times now and nothing shows up in any of the menus except the saved game data file. Where is this thing at?

Roto13

So, I bought it on PSN, downloaded and installed it. But I can't find it anywhere. I've tried 3 times now and nothing shows up in any of the menus except the saved game data file. Where is this thing at?

Did you download the demo too or just the game unlock? :p

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Just finished it. Really, really good. I actually enjoyed it more than the show.

But MY GOD, one of the buggiest POSes I've played in years. It was stuttering and pausing all over the place. Towards the end of the episode, I could barely play the thing it was stuttering so badly. I died in two action sequences because there were, I kid you not, 4 second pauses during the sequence. I also missed about 5-10 lines of dialog because it was stuttering and distorting so bad during the cutscenes.

I can't believe they let it out like this.

Are the 360/PS3/iOS versions as bad as this PC SKU? This is a problem with all Telltale games?

Roto13

I've only seen the first season of the tv show and have never read the comic. How will that affect my enjoyment of this?

You won't recognize any of the characters, but so far it's perfectly playable and understandable anyway. Some of the characters are from the comic (and also appear in the show) but so far everything takes place before the show and comic even start.

kyubajin

I dunno what platform to get it for, should I go for the Steam release or PSN? Has anyone tried both and can provide more insightful information?

RPGCrazied

I dunno what platform to get it for, should I go for the Steam release or PSN? Has anyone tried both and can provide more insightful information?

PSN you save $5 and get a free premium theme. I went with that. Runs fine. Some hitches here and there, but nothing drastically bad.

RPGCrazied

Yup, I had the same experience on PS3. Runs very well and looks great due to the artistic style.

Though that last scene at the
drugstore, when the zombies attack
, I thought the game was about to freeze. Stuttered hard there. That's the only place really I had trouble.

witness

Mother fucker, clearly Sony doesn't want me to buy this game because they say my credit card number isn't valid. Thanks, I'll just have to wait until friday now for the 360 version and use my fucking valid credit card.

I have a free Steam code to give away, it's a full season pass for all five episodes ($24.99 value). Best photo of you making an awesome zombie face gets it. Post 'em here and I'll pick a winner at 7pm PST :)

This is a STEAM code, good for PC/Mac. I'll try to get some XBLA codes for a separate giveaway on Friday.

Dat zombie Party Pig.

h579b.jpg

Yeah, none of that worked.
It could be tied to Telltale's recent internal servers issue. I just launched the game and am stuck on the "connecting" screen as well. The end-game stats are also due to the server issues.

I suppose you could try disconnecting from the internet.

EDIT: I relaunched and it connected.

Salsa

omg!

does actual zombie outfit count?

r7eQb.jpg

bonus GF, was trying to eat her brains

sixghost

Just finished it, they seem to be off to a great start. I really enjoyed how quickly they enforce the fact that you need to pay attention and watch what you say, and who you say it to.

It seemed like my playthrough was relatively clean, but I would be very interested to see just how bad things could go if you start doing dumb stuff, like letting everyone know who you are immediately, be rude to everyone, etc. Sometimes it kind of sucks how little time you are given to think about the possible ramifications of each response, but that just forces you to be even more attentive.

Really enjoyed it. The scenes were well written and acted, except for that one line Glenn has when you
reach the girl trapped in the motel room. She's talking about how she's been bitten, and mentions her boyfriend, and his response is something along the lines of "oh, you have a boyfriend?" Which is just a completely tone inappropriate line.
. I was surprised how perfectly they pull off the feel of being in a hopeless situation. At every point it seems like something is going to go wrong,

Only a couple of gripes though.
I thought they went to the well one too many times with the choose between these two people dying, decisions. I thought it worked well the first time, but when it happens in the drug store it wasn't nearly as impactful because they were just rehashing the same trick that happened hardly even an hour ago.
That and the thing with Glenn mentioned earlier. I'm a little cautious about the 2nd episode and beyond. I have no idea how different the ending can actually be, depending on your choices, but I hope they don't run into the issues ME2 and ME3 did, were there were just too many choices to account for, so they either ignored the choices, or just found convenient ways to sidestep the choices, like if a character could possibly die, they will find a way to write them out of the next episode.

ElRenoRaven

Just finished it, they seem to be off to a great start. I really enjoyed how quickly they enforce the fact that you need to pay attention and watch what you say, and who you say it to.

It seemed like my playthrough was relatively clean, but I would be very interested to see just how bad things could go if you start doing dumb stuff, like letting everyone know who you are immediately, be rude to everyone, etc. Sometimes it kind of sucks how little time you are given to think about the possible ramifications of each response, but that just forces you to be even more attentive.

Really enjoyed it. The scenes were well written and acted, except for that one line Glenn has when you
reach the girl trapped in the motel room. She's talking about how she's been bitten, and mentions her boyfriend, and his response is something along the lines of "oh, you have a boyfriend?" Which is just a completely tone inappropriate line.
. I was surprised how perfectly they pull off the feel of being in a hopeless situation. At every point it seems like something is going to go wrong,

Only a couple of gripes though.
I thought they went to the well one too many times with the choose between these two people dying, decisions. I thought it worked well the first time, but when it happens in the drug store it wasn't nearly as impactful because they were just rehashing the same trick that happened hardly even an hour ago.
That and the thing with Glenn mentioned earlier. I'm a little cautious about the 2nd episode and beyond. I have no idea how different the ending can actually be, depending on your choices, but I hope they don't run into the issues ME2 and ME3 did, were there were just too many choices to account for, so they either ignored the choices, or just found convenient ways to sidestep the choices, like if a character could possibly die, they will find a way to write them out of the next episode.

I don't think they're going to have to worry. I've now played through 3 times. Each time I played radically different and each time they come back to the same basic endings. So I think at the end of the day when all 5 are done you really aren't going to have that many different endings needed.

Top Bottom