• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead - Season 1 - A Telltale Games Series (Steam/PSN/XBLA/iOS/Mac)

ElRenoRaven

Finished it. Damn, that was pretty great. Good characters and actually felt tense in some bits. Do you choices carry through the entire game? I hope they actually do have a bug impact and not just half arsed.

Haha, sorry!

No problem lmao. And yes your choices will carry over to future episodes.

ElRenoRaven

How can I be sure it saved correctly? Somehow my time has not changed on that save...

I'd say just start it up and continue the game with that save. That's the best way to know for sure. I think it saves while your at the Motor Inn and the rest after that is fluff. So if your save loads you up there at the end with them all there then I'd not worry too much.

Haethos

Banned
I've played the first 35 minutes or so (never played a Telltale game, never watched/read the Walking Dead), and I'm pretty sold. I like the conversation choice stuff, there's some light action mixed in, and the voice acting seems pretty solid so far.

Can't wait to get back into it tonight.

CTE

I didn't get myself excited for this since it was a TT game and I've been let down in the past. Happy I did now since it seems like a good game from all the reviews. Just bought a points card to get this so I'll play it later today. Can't wait.

Sullen

Finished it. Damn, that was pretty great. Good characters and actually felt tense in some bits. Do you choices carry through the entire game? I hope they actually do have a bug impact and not just half arsed.

Haha, sorry!

Yes they carry over. Even the in game preview for episode 2 is different depending on what you did in the first episode.

Kinyou

I've played the first 35 minutes or so (never played a Telltale game, never watched/read the Walking Dead), and I'm pretty sold. I like the conversation choice stuff, there's some light action mixed in, and the voice acting seems pretty solid so far.

Can't wait to get back into it tonight.
You should start to read the comic or to watch the show. Only enhances the experience.

Jake

There was another weird thing like that in the Pharmacy.
If you talk to a specific person before exploring the office, you find out that Lee's parents own the store through a dialogue choice, rather than discovering it for yourself by finding the picture, or entering the office. Finding out about that, and that he actually was guilty through a dialogue choice was a weird choice.

This might be an insane way to look at it but...
Lee obviously knows his parents own the pharmacy before you, the player do because he has been there before, like, years before the game started. It's not that crazy for him to be able to tell someone that before he goes into a room and looks at a photo of himself!
There is also, I think, a point in there where you can tell people "there's an exit out through the office" in an optional branch, before you've ever been in there. That dialog might be cut at this point actually, but Lee as a person very occasionally knows things because he exists outside you playing as him, weird as that may be? When Clementine has to go to the bathroom, Lee also knows where they keep the key, before you've ever explored the space.

CTE

Reading all this praise makes me want to wait for all to be released. I hate waiting like that. The reason why I sometimes record a whole season of a show before watching it. Games of Thrones. BB. Walking Dead. So forth.....

ArjanN

Lee obviously knows his parents own the pharmacy before you, the player do because he has been there before, like, years before the game started. It's not that crazy for him to be able to tell someone that before he goes into a room and looks at a photo of himself!
There is also, I think, a point in there where you can tell people "there's an exit out through the office" in an optional branch, before you've ever been in there. That dialog might be cut at this point actually, but Lee as a person very occasionally knows things because he exists outside you playing as him, weird as that may be? When Clementine has to go to the bathroom, Lee also knows where they keep the key, before you've ever explored the space.

Yeah, I wasn't bothered by it in this game because of the reason you mention, although I've noticed that same thing in a Sam and Max episode as well, that someone assumes you have certain information but because you did stuff in a weird order or skipped talking to someone and your character logically wouldn't be able to know that yet.

I went outside before talking to anyone inside, and the trapped zombie is labelled as your brother, but of course Lee would know that. Then I went inside and realized that probably wasn't the preferred way for me as the player to find that out, but the twist still worked IMO.

Reading all this praise makes me want to wait for all to be released. I hate waiting like that. The reason why I sometimes record a whole season of a show before watching it. Games of Thrones. BB. Walking Dead. So forth.....

IMO There's additional value/fun to be had in discussing/speculating about the episodes though, something you'd kind of miss out on if you blew through all the episodes at once.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
There was another weird thing like that in the Pharmacy.
If you talk to a specific person before exploring the office, you find out that Lee's parents own the store through a dialogue choice, rather than discovering it for yourself by finding the picture, or entering the office. Finding out about that, and that he actually was guilty through a dialogue choice was a weird choice.

I thought that was really cool, actually. The way the game kind of hinted at it before spelling it out for you was a god damn brilliant bit of writing/tone.

Haethos

Banned
You should start to read the comic or to watch the show. Only enhances the experience.

Tried to get started with the show, but that show is ~intense~. I'm at the part early on where he's waking up in the hospital and wandering around, and I had to turn it off to take a break from it. I like my fluffy happy shows. :)

(Also the reason why I stopped at 35 minutes :X)

ElRenoRaven

Yup. I think that says a lot about how well you guys did though when people forget that Lee isn't them. That just shows that you guys did a great job of dragging us into the character.

Yamibito

Oh man was as good as I hoped it would be- sucks about the audio issues though, absolutely loved it besides the low quality audio.

Did anyone else do a second playthrough, trying to replicate their first one but
saving different people?
On my third one I'm going to be a complete asshole; though I wish the game had more than 3 save slots. I wonder if there's a way to work around, like backing up saves, etc.

boingball

Played through the first episode on PSN yesterday. Really liked it, better than expected. Even though it is less of an adventure game than the previous ones (I skipped Jurrasic Park).

And lol for the trophies. They included a Platinum (should improve sales) and it can be had by just playing through the game, no special challenges at all (Sam&Max and BttF had some of those without a Plat).

ElRenoRaven

Did anyone else do a second playthrough, trying to replicate their first one but
saving different people?
On my third one I'm going to be a complete asshole; though I wish the game had more than 3 save slots. I wonder if there's a way to work around, like backing up saves, etc.

Yup. one of my multiple playthroughs was doing just that.

Minsc

Gold Member
Oh man was as good as I hoped it would be- sucks about the audio issues though, absolutely loved it besides the low quality audio.

That annoys me. I played Tales of Monkey Island at release, and around the time of the second episode, they initially put it out with the same issue this game has, low quality, over-compressed audio. Lots of people complained and it was very noticeable. So they fixed it! Offered everyone the ability to re download the episode, and the audio was great. The rest of the season after that incident was fine.

Reading a bit more on this issue, apparently Sam & Max season 3 also suffers a bit, as does this game (clearly). It was even mentioned in a RPS Wot I Think:

And the developer’s old audio issues are back, the quality compressed so much to get a vast amount of dialogue into the game’s total 450MB, that voices bubble and pop. Which is a huge shame since the actors are all very good.

I really hope they put out a higher quality build before I get around to it, as it's going to annoy me, now that I know about it. They mentioned on the Telltale forums it would get brought to the developer's attention, so maybe there's hope.

It's really dumb, because none of the platforms this releases on is size an issue. ~450MB vs say 800-900MB, would be fine, though I doubt it would need to be that large.

ElRenoRaven

BTTF had a couple spots with the same issue too. I've read Jurassic Park did too. So it's just something that All Telltale games have sadly.

kai3345

Banned
I'm about what I assume is halfway through. I'm at the Motel for the second time.

It's alright, the writing is pretty shitty but that was expected.

That's so you don't read ahead.
You would think, but sometimes the subtitles could barely be starting and everyone's already done talking, so you just sit there for 5-10 seconds, waiting.

Luckily this happens in only a few parts and, even more luckily, with short lines.

Finished the first episode tonight and really enjoyed it. I was gonna go through the ep again to see what happens if you choose differently but I think I'll just wait until the whole season is out before replaying any of it.
That way I can go through the season with my own decisions (and mistakes).

ElRenoRaven

oh wow, really?

that was short

Nope. That's the norm for an episodic game like this. And you're the first person I've seen that thought it was just ok. Even people that were livid on the Telltale forums and insisting it would suck are loving the hell out of it.

To each their own though I guess.

kai3345

Banned
Nope. That's the norm for an episodic game like this. And you're the first person I've seen that thought it was just ok. Even people that were livid on the Telltale forums and insisting it would suck are loving the hell out of it.

To each their own though I guess.

Sam and Max episodes felt way longer.

Haunted

Sam and Max episodes felt way longer.
Probably because there were puzzles you could get stuck on and the areas you could walk around in were more numerous.

Here you're very briskly moving along the path and have limited locations to visit and no real puzzles to solve at any time.

It's a different kind of game.

Trigger

Haven't read through this entire thread, but what I have read makes me hopeful. The TV show has been woefully lacking in excitement lately.

SamuraiX-

So am I still able to "pre-purchase" all episodes for $19.99 on PSN or was that only possible before Episode 1 was released?

Raoh

Just checked out the demo on psn.

I think I want this for iOS though, unless I can get it on vita. Just feels like a great game for a commute to work.

Kevin

Finished the first episode and greatly enjoyed it. Quality was higher then I was expecting. I hope the other four episodes are as good. :)

Top Bottom