• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead - Season 1 - A Telltale Games Series (Steam/PSN/XBLA/iOS/Mac)

Ha, I was in the minority of all the tracked decisions except the last one. Though I more
lied to Hershel
on accident than on purpose.
Thought the line I was choosing was honest. Then he was all "you'd better become a better liar!"

Spoiler stats

Poor Doug never stands a chance.

Arrival at the drug store
was quite well executed. Good on you Famous Videogames. Tense situation with unclear, potentially immediate and impactful consequences requiring quick, instinctive decisions. More of that sort of thing please. Really enjoyed the episode overall. It does the one thing about zombie fiction that's properly interesting and hasn't been done to death in this media. Due to Tellltale being typecast I was positively blindsided by that.

If I were to leave less positive feedback (beyond the botched audio); it tends to feel contrived when you're essentially searching for the one solution the designers constructed. I've never liked the stilted design around puzzles in adventure games. Like, the only items in the world are ones which are used to solve a puzzle. You're not really figuring it out, you're just trying to find the breadcrumb trail basically.

If the puzzles somehow were more like the dialog system that'd be cool.
soooo who's willing to give a steam code for me? Can't afford it right now t.t
Still need one?

No problem. I think it's stupid. Course I guess 360 users should be happy they're getting it at all. Telltale had a falling out with Microsoft for a long while there and several things never released on 360. BTTF being one of the largest examples.

Out of curiosity, what happened? Any link to a news story or something that would explain it?

ArjanN

Because he's boring

nerd guy vs good-looking woman with gun. He never had a chance. I suppose his appeal is helping you with tech stuff as opposed to Carley (putting the batteries in the wrong way) Also, Carley knows your secret, but on a meta level you know your secret is going to come out one way or another, so that wasn't really a deciding factor for me either.

Trigger

I haven't finished it, but already this episode has been great. I just wish they had avoided the
blackout during the viral outbreak
cliche. I've already seen it in a dozen movies in this genre.

Also, Clementine is pretty cute and I don't find any of the characters annoying. It feels very authentic to comic. I'm honestly curious to see how much crossover will occur later.

Kinyou

nerd guy vs good-looking woman with gun. He never had a chance. I suppose his appeal is helping you with tech stuff as opposed to Carley (putting the batteries in the wrong way) Also, Carley knows your secret, but on a meta level you know your secret is going to come out one way or another, so that wasn't really a deciding factor for me either.
I actually wonder
if there will be some Mass Effect style romance options. They made it obvious that Carly is interested in Doug, but since he's gone...

sixghost

This might be an insane way to look at it but...
Lee obviously knows his parents own the pharmacy before you, the player do because he has been there before, like, years before the game started. It's not that crazy for him to be able to tell someone that before he goes into a room and looks at a photo of himself!
There is also, I think, a point in there where you can tell people "there's an exit out through the office" in an optional branch, before you've ever been in there. That dialog might be cut at this point actually, but Lee as a person very occasionally knows things because he exists outside you playing as him, weird as that may be? When Clementine has to go to the bathroom, Lee also knows where they keep the key, before you've ever explored the space.

Yeah I understand. I was just caught off guard both times there was a dialogue choice that doubled as a new, important, piece of back story. Most games with dialogue choices tend to have blank slates as player characters so this kind of thing never needed to be solved.

pa22word

Finished it last night, and tis a shame such a good game is riddled with so many bugs. For example: It hangs and stalls form upwards of 30 seconds at a time. I sorta fixed it by playing in windowed mode, but the game still hitches from time to time resulting in missed dialog and hilariously out of sync VA.

oh and...
Capture-170.jpg

Capture2-4.jpg

Seriously guys such horseshit game design that they didn't include any documentation for the Kb/M layout at all T_T

Storywise I'm really amped for e2, but damn they need to patch this game >.>

ArjanN

Finished it last night, and tis a shame such a good game is riddled with so many bugs. For example: It hangs and stalls form upwards of 30 seconds at a time. I sorta fixed it by playing in windowed mode, but the game still hitches from time to time resulting in missed dialog and hilariously out of sync VA.

oh and...
Seriously guys such horseshit game design that they didn't include any documentation for the Kb/M layout at all T_T

Storywise I'm really amped for e2, but damn they need to patch this game >.>

I had no techincal issues on PC aside from the kinda low audio quality.

BiggNife

Not only did she put in the batteries the wrong way, but before that she didn't even check if there were batteries in the damn thing to begin with. That's kind of important!

But in the end I chose Carley because I figured having a good shot is probably more important than a tech dude in the long run.

madmackem

Wow i loved it, just finished it on 360 without any issues. Really hit hard some of the choices i had to make, love the style it plays so well i love that second stick with the big action cross over it with different things you can do mapped to buttons works so well. Roll on episode 2, strange 100 point achievos mind wonder if each one is going to be 100 each?.

ElRenoRaven

Out of curiosity, what happened? Any link to a news story or something that would explain it?

Not really any news story. Basically Telltale wanted to release their games on XBLA and do the season pass thing like they are with PSN and on the PC but Microsoft wouldn't allow it. So they simply quit releasing the games on 360. Finally recently that changed. Telltale gave in it seems and now you buy each episode separately on Xbox and they don't sell a bundle of all 5 episodes.

I had no techincal issues on PC aside from the kinda low audio quality.

Yea. The only people I've seen complain are those who can't handle shadows or are forcing AA through their graphics card.

Blu10

Wow i loved it, just finished it on 360 without any issues. Really hit hard some of the choices i had to make, love the style it plays so well i love that second stick with the big action cross over it with different things you can do mapped to buttons works so well. Roll on episode 2, strange 100 point achievos mind wonder if each one is going to be 100 each?.
Going to pick this up when I get home. Same audio issues on the 360 as PC?

derFeef

I am going to give the general advice to disable the shadows on PC, no matter if you are on nvidia or amd. It completely removes the hitching between scenes and choices, and you really don't miss it because of the stilized graphics.

pa22word

Yea. The only people I've seen complain are those who can't handle shadows or are forcing AA through their graphics card.

I highly doubt my i7 and 5870 are struggling to handle the rudimentary shadows in the game, but I had heard that too so I tried turning them off and still ran into terrible hanging unless I ran it in a window.

And I'm not forcing AA either.

kaskade

5 bucks for a 2ish hour thing is pretty awesome. I really like the way they are doing this. Looks like I'll be giving it a download tonight.

Because he's boring
Well,
it's only been one episode so far. Who knows how he'll develop in the later ones? But, yeah, they didn't really include him at all in conversations with the other characters, so when it came down to making the choice, it was real easy--for most--on who to pick.

Besides, who doesn't like a cute, nerdy basement dweller? :D

Jake

lol, what happened to your post Jake?

It wasn't worth posting, it was about Walking Dead being on Xbox after a few years of Telltale not having content there. The big takeaway was: our earlier games were published through Microsoft first party, in a similar manner to a lot of the indie games you see on XBLA (as opposed to XBLIG), whereas as of Walking Dead, Telltale is a licensed Xbox 360 third party developer, so we can publish our own content to XBLA without going through Microsoft as a publishing partner (we now go the same route as an AAA publisher, as opposed to an indie, which makes it less complicated to get a game onto XBLA, basically). Long story short, it wasn't a falling out as proposed earlier in the thread.

I don't know if it's been specifically pointed out, but Doug is actually based on our friend Doug Tabacco, who was Telltale's original web developer and IT guy. Getting that dude into the game is my proudest moment. We had all the other survivors worked out but felt like we needed one more in there to get the dynamic right. The conversation went along the lines of "maybe if it were someone like Doug?" "Yeah, someone kind of like Doug would be pretty great." "... what if it was just actually Doug? Would we be okay with that?" "Yes." "Okay, it's Doug." "Yep, it's Doug." Then Doug signed a release form clearing his name and likeness. His main objection to his depiction in the game is that he would, in real life, never actually wear socks with sandals. You can see a glimpse of actual Doug in this trailer.

Ketch

How does the walking dead compare to back to the future when it comes to system requirements? Does it have a lot of graphical options to turn down? I'm able to run the Back to the Future games on my laptop, but only because you can turn it down to like 800 x 600 windowed and turn all the effects off... Do you think I can achieve the same thing with Walking Dead?

On a side note, does running games in windowed mode typically help with performance?

End episode spoilers -
My reasoning for saving Carley was because I assumed with a loaded gun she could save herself and Doug - she's a good shot after all. Didn't exactly pan out that way, but I liked Doug and was pretty sad to see him go.

How does the walking dead compare to back to the future when it comes to system requirements? Does it have a lot of graphical options to turn down? I'm able to run the Back to the Future games on my laptop, but only because you can turn it down to like 800 x 600 windowed and turn all the effects off... Do you think I can achieve the same thing with Walking Dead?

On a side note, does running games in windowed mode typically help with performance?

Fullscreen is less taxing than windowed generally. Walking Dead can go down to like 1024x768 and has options to disable a lot of effects.

Not sure it'd work on your laptop, but I am sure the system requirements they've posted for it are pretty overblown.

I think it'd mostly depend on your video card.

ElRenoRaven

I'd say if you couldn't run BTTF or had to run it on lowest settings then you can't run TWD. Sorry man.

Jake

Walking Dead should perform similarly to BTTF. It might be a little more graphics intensive, but by and large its pushing the same number of polygons, textures, and effects to your GPU as BTTF was.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
haha, poor Doug.
Carley is so much more developed. I would have thought she was going to be a key character moving forward based on how important she seems in this episode. Doug's character is just kind of... there. I was actually a little bit disappointed that Carley was a potential death, it implies that she won't have that much more to do moving forward.

derFeef

haha, poor Doug.
Carley is so much more developed. I would have thought she was going to be a key character moving forward based on how important she seems in this episode. Doug's character is just kind of... there. I was actually a little bit disappointed that Carley was a potential death, it implies that she won't have that much more to do moving forward.

Doug is based on a TT duder if I am not mistaken.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
then he should have had more to do!

also, where I come from, we call Doug Tobacco a "Thumbs guy"

Here's a Steam code for a full season pass (Mac/PC). The three code chunks are not in the correct order, first person to type them into Steam in the correct order gets the win! GLHF!

PGZMR-XP8VG-GEQWQ

ArjanN

I was actually a little bit disappointed that Carley was a potential death, it implies that she won't have that much more to do moving forward. [/spoiler]

That's not necessarily true at all. Actually I'm assuming whoever survived will have a pretty big role in the 2nd or 3rd episode as that would probably be the best way to make it seem your choices matter.

Either way, Doug or Carley survives, so they can more or less fill the same character spot.
As long as they're a bit more suble about it as Mass Effect. (Oh, character X is dead in your game? Well, here's a very similar looking character to basically tell you the same thing.) it shouldn't be that noticable.
For example Doug could fix some sort of tech problem for you while Carley could have some sort of alternative solution.

It requires them to make some extra content, but I feel the episodes are short enough that it's probably doable.

Top Bottom