• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead - Season 1 - A Telltale Games Series (Steam/PSN/XBLA/iOS/Mac)

JohngPR

Son's in the hospital with Celullits in his leg so I was hoping to be able to play The Walking Dead on my 2009 Macbook Pro to pass the time but my MBP's video card is below the minimum spec for a video card (mine is 256 and the minimum is 512). :(

I'm going to play BTTF Episode 4 instead to pass the time....probably better that way anyway Episode 3 was pretty damn good (Dat cliffhanger ending).

:p

Can anyone tell me which console version of the game is better? I heard that the 360 version has some stuttering when it saves and was wondering if the PSN version was any better.

wizard341

I played the demo on PS3 and on the 360. I was hoping to pick it up for the 360, but the the graphics look a look darker and more washed out than the PS3. Has anyone else noticed it, or is it just my setup?

Ketch

Well it's running great on my macbook air. Had to turn it down to 800x600 to keep it from heating up and kicking on the fan. But at the lower rez in full screen it kind of letter boxes it and it still looks great. That art style.. so good, the fist scene where you're in the car is just amazing, it looks straight out of the comic. Well done. I'm debating now if I should just finish it now or save it for my business trip next weekend.

I do have one complaint so far, and that is that it doesn't look like there's a proper icon in the launch pad... it's just looks like the default mac application icon... kind of a bummer =(

Jeels

Motel area question:
The girl you find, is there any way to save her/have her join the group? I let her shoot herself.

Motel area question:
The girl you find, is there any way to save her/have her join the group? I let her shoot herself.

No,
what she said about what happens to someone who gets bitten is accurate. Probably why she's there from a gameplay standpoint, to drive home the "you're bit, you're as good as dead" rules of the Walking Dead universe.

Jeels

No,
what she said about what happens to someone who gets bitten is accurate. Probably why she's there from a gameplay standpoint, to drive home the "you're bit, you're as good as dead" rules of the Walking Dead universe.

Ah, I'm aware of that bit, I was just wondering if I could still
have her tag along, I want the largest group possible.

bumpkin

Anyone compare PS3 with the 360 version yet? I'm curious about which version to get.
I'm wondering the same. I double-dipped on Daytona for political reasons -- telling Sega with my wallet that I'd support more arcade ports -- but Episode 2 of TWD is going to happen no matter what. :)

madmackem

I played the demo on PS3 and on the 360. I was hoping to pick it up for the 360, but the the graphics look a look darker and more washed out than the PS3. Has anyone else noticed it, or is it just my setup?

As always the 360 makes everything look darker, a quick tweak of the in game settings and it looked the same to me.

madmackem

I'm wondering the same. I double-dipped on Daytona for political reasons -- telling Sega with my wallet that I'd support more arcade ports -- but Episode 2 of TWD is going to happen no matter what. :)

It looked the same to me after tweaking the brightness setting on the 360, 360 loves it some crushing.

Chris_C

Just got through episode 1 and that was awesome! I'm not a fan of TellTale, and this is the first game of theirs I've enjoyed, but I can't wait for episode 2! Some criticism though:

• Odd stutters and general clunkiness in the animation
  • The timer on making decisions can sometimes run out far too quickly. You barely have the time to read the different options before making a choice, even if the situation is calm.
  • Only five episodes!?! Need MORE!

EYEL1NER

Just downloaded and played the trial from XBL and all I have to say is damn. It's going to be difficult for me to wait for a possible disc release.
As soon as I finished the trial, I had the urge so bad to just click the 'buy' button and unlock it, but I can't.
I love me some Walking Dead though, comic or otherwise, and I loved this. The visuals are great too.

Oh well...at least if there is no disc release, I will still be able to download and play all of the episodes without having to wait for the next to come out.

Westraid

Played the trial yesterday, and I'm really liking this. Love the comic-like graphics and I love the fact that, like the comics and the TV series, this too focuses on the characters rather than on action alone. I'm a little ashamed for that split second I wondered why the left and right triggers weren't used when I checked the controls before I started playing.
The convo system is great. I love how I'm on a time limit, and how the characters will react basing on which option to choose.

Also, Clementine is the first TWD kid I don't want to feed to the Walkers.

Mengetsu

God I just finished up...this is to great! The choices are crazy in the game and I love how it impacts the story. Wish mass effect was more like this with the choices. I can't wait for ep 2. Also no problems here on the 360. Just jittery here and there but no way impacting the gameplay or story.The voice acting is top notch as well. Felt like a comic come to life. Also clementine is just awesome. I want to make it though this apocalypse!!

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Played through it with the wife last night. She got bored and wandered off but I sat there until the end. Great stuff!

Lee needs to stop falling over, though. What a fucking klutz! Lol

Roto13

Played through it with the wife last night. She got bored and wandered off but I sat there until the end. Great stuff!

Lee needs to stop falling over, though. What a fucking klutz! Lol

Man, in that early scene after the car crashes he keeps dropping stuff. Professor Butterfingers.

ElRenoRaven

So after my playthrough last night post patch I have to say the audio is without a doubt nicely improved with that patch. Bravo Telltale for fixing that.

Frankfurt

Banned
You have all those objects (many of which you can even interact with), but the only way to solve each situation is with that one object or action? What's the point of wandering around and looking for things when you only have one choice anyway, even when you can think of 3 ways to solve the same scenario with the objects on hand but the game only wants you to do that one thing?

Is there anything to do in the game? At all?

(Besides not being able to give hungry kids the energy bars you already have with you and can be given to everyone else in the room, that is)

It's mostly an interactive novel with some light puzzle solving that involves the player finding the right solution. I can't think of many traditional adventure games that have had multiple solutions to a single problem... it's almost always required to do what the developers intended you to do. If you're looking for a game which has multiple solutions, maybe you could try something like Crazy Machines?

X360 Gamer

Expectations exceeded that was pretty freaking fun. Enjoyed the dialog, characters, decision making and there was some good action moments.

You have all those objects (many of which you can even interact with), but the only way to solve each situation is with that one object or action? What's the point of wandering around and looking for things when you only have one choice anyway, even when you can think of 3 ways to solve the same scenario with the objects on hand but the game only wants you to do that one thing?

(Besides not being able to give hungry kids the energy bars you already have with you and can be given to everyone else in the room, that is)

First time playing an adventure game?

But yeah, the inventory system is very light. It doesn't let you try everything on everything else.

As for the energy bars... I gave them to both the kids and the women, so I don't know what you mean.

derFeef

I gave all my energy bars away, so what do you mean? And yeah, this is more like an interactive comic book where you determine the progress of the story. The adventure elements are very light, but I like them. The overall writing is great I think, too.

Started and finished episode one in one sitting. I definitely enjoyed it. It does a good job of bringing out the core conflicts of what The Walking Dead is about. Maybe more so than the television show has thus far. The trailer for episode two looks great. Any indication as to how long we're going to have to wait in between episodes?

Frankfurt's referring to
an additional dialogue that occurs after Clementine receives an energy bar. She's still hungry and wants real food; another energy bar wouldn't satisfy her.

Started and finished episode one in one sitting. I definitely enjoyed it. It does a good job of bringing out the core conflicts of what The Walking Dead is about. Maybe more so than the television show has thus far. The trailer for episode two looks great. Any indication as to how long we're going to have to wait in between episodes?

Telltale's operating on a monthly release schedule.

Just finished the first episode. Enjoyed it a great deal more than I expected I would.

A moment that hit me quite hard was the
girl who wanted to kill herself before she turned into a zombie (I forget her name)

That surprised me and was a very cool and emotional scene. Another was the answering machine message at the beginning of the game. The
"we love you...we love you...we lo-"
part was sad as hell. :(

Finished the first episode just now and I enjoyed it immensely. The writing, characters, atmosphere, and scenarios were all very well done and it was the most "fun" Telltale title I've played so far.

I've only seen a few episodes of the show and haven't read the novel but this alone really interests me in the universe.

kyubajin

Downloaded the game on PSN, loved it to bits. Paycheck can't come soon enough. After my experience with Tales of Monkey Island and Back to the Future I dunno if I'll be able to endure the loooooong waits between episodes, I was just too addicted to it.

Struct09

Played through the episode on 360 yesterday and really liked it. The voice acting was overall pretty good, and the hard decisions were gut-wrenching. Can't wait for the next episode!

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Just finished this. I hope the later episodes keep up the quality because that was truly excellent.

sixghost

I wonder how they will handle all the (episode 2 teaser spoilers)
potential gun violence with the "bandits" that is teased in the preview. The system they use for combat really doesn't seem like it would be able to handle anything other than shooting the occasional zombie shambling toward you. I also wonder what they will do to make the bulk of the episode interesting, as most of ep.1 was the initial chaos of the outbreak, and establishing themselves in the pharmacy.
Can't wait, whatever it is they end up doing.

I wonder how they will handle all the (episode 2 teaser spoilers)
potential gun violence with the "bandits" that is teased in the preview. The system they use for combat really doesn't seem like it would be able to handle anything other than shooting the occasional zombie shambling toward you. I also wonder what they will do to make the bulk of the episode interesting, as most of ep.1 was the initial chaos of the outbreak, and establishing themselves in the pharmacy.
Can't wait, whatever it is they end up doing.

I bet that
gun violence and combat against other humans will be in slow motion. I'm also excited for the next episode I want to see what ends up happening with the old man with bad heart. Jerk doesn't like me one bit.

I bet that
gun violence and combat against other humans will be in slow motion. I'm also excited for the next episode I want to see what ends up happening with the old man with bad heart. Jerk doesn't like me one bit.

I'm going to have him die by "losing" his heart pills, and then make love with his daughter. That'll show the old bastard who's boss of the group.

Top Bottom