• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead - Season 1 - A Telltale Games Series (Steam/PSN/XBLA/iOS/Mac)

If I were to say, download this on a US account, pay for it with US points but play it on my Aus Gamertag would I face any possible repercussions?

EDIT: I haven't done this, but I'm tempted. Is this possible?

If I were to say, download this on a US account, pay for it with US points but play it on my Aus Gamertag would I face any possible repercussions?

EDIT: I haven't done this, but I'm tempted. Is this possible?

Should be fine. Unless playing it gets you labelled a dangerous psychopath by the Australian government.

Should be fine. Unless playing it gets you labelled a dangerous psychopath by the Australian government.

lol. It probably would ;)

I mean more would I be likely for my XBLA account to be affected if I'm racking up achievements on a game technically not released in my region.

lol. It probably would ;)

I mean more would I be likely for my XBLA account to be affected if I'm racking up achievements on a game technically not released in my region.

Yeah, it's fine. I know some people in Japan did that to get Skullgirls since it didn't release there yet.

I've downloaded this game, Trine 2, NFL Blitz and a bunch of Indy games on a U.S Xbox account then played them on my Australian account without a hitch.

Gowans

Played n hour last night and finished the rest in a big chunk this morning.

Loved it, really felt the tone and it got me totally involved, jumped a few times too.

Loved it, the story makes it completely, I was on the 50+%s for all my choices too.

IMACOMPUTA

The game is so awesome..
Better than the show? Maybe.

I found myself picking
which characters to save based on which voice actor i liked better. I saved the nerdy guy over the girl, because the nerdy guy's VA sounds great!

Noaloha

A small critique of the adventure game dialogue:

Out in the drugstore entrance with Doug, there's the brick lying a small distance away. Trying to grab it, the game communicates why I can't obtain it with "I can't reach that." This is kinda wrong and I spent an hour or so in the game with a little grumble in the back of my mind along the lines of 'stupid game, won't let me pick up that cane in the back-office, i could totally use it to reach the brick, grr, hiss, etc'. It was only later, during the brick's section, that I realised (or at least I assumed) the obstacle preventing me from getting the brick was that it wouldn't fit through the bars. Replacing "I can't reach that" with "That'd never fit through the gaps" would have worked better.

Gowans

Out in the drugstore entrance with Doug, there's the brick lying a small distance away. Trying to grab it, the game communicates why I can't obtain it with "I can't reach that." This is kinda wrong and I spent an hour or so in the game with a little grumble in the back of my mind along the lines of 'stupid game, won't let me pick up that cane in the back-office, i could totally use it to reach the brick, grr, hiss, etc'. It was only later, during the brick's section, that I realised (or at least I assumed) the obstacle preventing me from getting the brick was that it wouldn't fit through the bars. Replacing "I can't reach that" with "That'd never fit through the gaps" would have worked better.

I agree, I tried exactly the same and that is the one point I got hung up.

Darklord

Banned

Yep, had the exact same thing. Didn't help when
it doesn't break the lock with the axe the first time. You have to click it twice.

How would you
throw it through the bars, though? IIRC No one knew the combination for the lock, so it would've had to be broken anyway. A bigger problem was that no one scoped out the back alley before letting a guy who they'd just met compromise the (admittedly pretty shaky) security of the store. Or the fact that Lee might have know that there was an alarm that would've gone off when the door was opened. Maybe if he hadn't mucked about outside with his brother for so long they would've had more time!

I can't work out if he's being malicious or if he's just useless...

Really liking this a lot more than the show.

I don't know why I need to mention it, but the sound effects were great. Great voice acting.

This is exactly how I imagined a Walking Dead game to be. Not a straight genre game, but one with multiple perspectives and gameplay types because of the situations you end up in, with a consequence system. These were all my favorite parts of Heavy Rain.

Noaloha

How would you
throw it through the bars, though? IIRC No one knew the combination for the lock, so it would've had to be broken anyway.

No, sorry, I may not have explained that well (ha, ironically enough). I wasn't suggesting I'd be able to
throw
it or anything. The way that scenario as a whole was choreographed meant that getting
outside
to obtain it was important, if only for matters of tension. No issues with that. The point I was making was that the explanation of that puzzle's 'obstacle' was poorly worded, since it explained the obstacle in terms of distance. The game had explicitly shown me something that would be a perfect tool to solve a distance problem and it left a moderately sour taste in my mouth when my (perfectly reasonable within game logic) 'solution' wasn't recognised. All of which stemmed from framing the puzzle purely in terms of distance -- a bit of disgruntlement which could have been avoided by simply explaining the obstacle as
one of size ("it won't fit through the bars"), since that naturally leaves you with an understanding of 'I need to wait 'til I'm outside' or perhaps 'I need to cut through the bars'. Since there're no metal-cutters in the game, it leaves a nice, clean sequence for your investigationeering thoughts to travel down, without the player getting hung up on linking something like the cane, which, as well as functioning as an ideal solution to the problem *as described*, is also explicitly communicated to you as being something of importance by the game.

It's a small thing, but it was, y'know, noticeable. And, importantly, unnecessary / easily avoidable. Again, I mentioned it not as an angry rant, more as a critique of the dialogue choice with adventure game design theory in mind.

My first Telltale game and I'm impressed. Loving the atmosphere. Also loving that it follows the comics rather than the TV show.

Only problem I had was the stuttering (360 version). Kind of annoying at times but wasn't that bad.

pfkas

Played it just now and loved it. I haven't felt this emotionally attached to a character (Clementine, poor thing) since, well, forever. Good stuff Telltale. I hope this is a glimmer of the future of storytelling in games.

Not that it was perfect mind you, I still feel the controls are slightly hamfisted. Particularly lining up hits on moving zombies, but on the whole it felt nice and chunky and that I was just getting involved in a story rather than having to excel at either puzzles or normal gameplay.

I haven't played Heavy Rain so I can't compare.

Roto13

Carley:
Why won't this radio work? lol batteries? Can you get me some batteries? I don't know what batteries look like! Oh thank you for the batteries! wtf it's still not working?? How do these batteries go in!"

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I'm going to have him die by "losing" his heart pills, and then make love with his daughter. That'll show the old bastard who's boss of the group.

I am fine with that.

I purposely saved Doug because the reporter was the only one who knew my past. Now this a-hole is blackmailing me. In the end, I am going to make sweet love to his daughter.

This is my first Telltale game and I am loving it.

The game had explicitly shown me something that would be a perfect tool to solve a distance problem and it left a moderately sour taste in my mouth when my (perfectly reasonable within game logic) 'solution' wasn't recognised.

QFT. I was screaming at the screen, "ITS RIGHT THERE. JUST GRAB IT. OMG" Then the light went off in my head. Oh yeah, -that one object would be perfect-, OMG CAN'T USE.

Still, great game so far.

sixghost

QFT. I was screaming at the screen, "ITS RIGHT THERE. JUST GRAB IT. OMG" Then the light went off in my head. Oh yeah, -that one object would be perfect-, OMG CAN'T USE.

Still, great game so far.
This was the part that reminded me that I can't stand traditional adventure games.
At the very least it should have let you grab the brick, then say something like "I can't throw it at the glass with the gate closed." To give you a better idea of what you needed to do. I spent like 30 minutes walking around the store looking for something that would let me reach the brick. I was sure I needed to use his dad's cane from the office, but it wouldn't let me grab it. Eventually I just found the solution online.

Kinyou

Carley:
Why won't this radio work? lol batteries? Can you get me some batteries? I don't know what batteries look like! Oh thank you for the batteries! wtf it's still not working?? How do these batteries go in!"
xvyosl4peq4.jpg

I'm torn between wanting to play again and do things differently, or waiting until all the episodes are out before I do that. Anyone else having this conundrum?

sixghost

I'm torn between wanting to play again and do things differently, or waiting until all the episodes are out before I do that. Anyone else having this conundrum?

I decided pretty early on that I was going 1 save, no reloads, no replaying to get different outcomes.

derFeef

Yep. I think I am going to stick with it, play all episodes and when I am finished I am starting all over and do things differently. I think it is going to have a much greater feel when all episodes are out.

edit: it's tough though as the game has some great moments and I really wanna revisit it.

calder

Played 5 minutes of the demo, stopped and bought the season pack on PSN. I didn't really like the comics and hated the tv show, but I love adventure games and don't mind the zombie genre as a whole, I just hate the specific Walking Dead characters.

U2NUMB

So I am in no way a fan of Zombie stories or even Telltale game BUT I took a leap of faith based on the 5 dollar price tag...

One hour later I am blown away. This is so well done and I loved every minute of it. This is the first time where a series already feels like episodic gaming done right.

Great stuff and I can not wait for the next one.. I will be there on launch day this time.

(played on the 360 and I did adjust brightness up a ways)

Kinyou

I decided pretty early on that I was going 1 save, no reloads, no replaying to get different outcomes.
Yeah, I replayed it and regret it a little bit. It was interesting to see the different choices but it also unveiled the mechanics behind them. I think from now on I'll only play through an episode once and replay it after the season is complete.

Played it in one sitting today it was a fantastic experience. It followed the pacing of this franchise without fail when things look up a lot of bad is bound to follow. Also really impressed it does feel like anyone from the comic can show up and any point in the game and it wouldn't feel out of place.

Just finished up my playthrough and enjoyed it from start to finish. Really like the art style and the sound is really nice.

Some of the decisions I had to make were actually kinda hard for me but I think I made the right ones in the end. Having to choose between saving
that guy who helped you get the keys or the lady with the gun(forgot their names already), I figured having some else who can shoot would be much more useful in the long run

I would play again and try some different outcomes, but I really want to stick with my choices for the next episode. Clementine is pretty awesome. Better than the kids that were on the show that's for sure. Can't wait for the next episode.

dominuece

I was a bit annoyed with that section too. One of those moments where it takes forever to figure out the next step.

Yeah, it was the only section where I had to turn on the indicators.
Due to the art style, I thought the pillow was a piece of metal (car hood or something similar)

Messi

Loved it.

Spent most of the episode on the edge of my seat, never knowing if I was making the right decisions. I am pretty sure I
got caught up in all the lies I was telling, as I could not figure out who knows what :/ I am an awful digital liar. I also sent clementine to the bathroom by herself by mistake and the whole time I was distracted going FUCK if something happens her...while I am dealing with this bullshit
All of my %'s at the end were over 50, but some of them are not sitting right with me. But thats the fun in a game like this for me. Same with heavy rain, I played it once and got my story based off the decisions I made the first time. I think back and some of the choices I would do differently if given more time to react, but I like being forced to make quick decisions and having to live with them.

I also muted the volume on the next time vid and looked away. I know I am going to play it so I don't need to see anything from it.

Also Clementine is
aaaaaawesome, I am trying to protect her, I have no fucking idea if it is a good idea to lie to her about her parents situation, I was winging all those choices. But her parents are totally dead :/

Very fun and simple adventure game, loved how well written the story was. At the end,
I only saved Carly because she was a chick and had a gun but then I realized two seconds later, Damn, this was that reporter that called be a murder in front of my girl, I shouldn't have saved her.

One thing I didn't like was that Lee hides the fact that his
parents/brother were the ones who owned/worked at the drugstore
no matter what. Every other lie you get to choose to tell or not.

Though it seems like something that wouldn't matter in a negative way to anyone down the line, so I kinda get why it's not a choice.

Messi

One thing I didn't like was that Lee hides the fact that his
parents/brother were the ones who owned/worked at the drugstore
no matter what. Every other lie you get to choose to tell or not.

Though it seems like something that wouldn't matter in a negative way to anyone down the line, so I kinda get why it's not a choice.

Maybe
if he tells them his family owns the place, they might find his family name in the store somewhere. Revealing that he is a murderer. No one else wondering why he is a murderer?

ArjanN

I also muted the volume on the next time vid and looked away. I know I am going to play it so I don't need to see anything from it.

But the next time vid was neat, it was pretty smart to make it a bunch of glimpses of the consequences of the decisions in this episode.

bumpkin

Finally downloaded and played through this sucker (on 360) earlier tonight. Absolutely fantastic; loved every minute of it! I've actually never played any of Telltale's other recent licensed games -- Bttf or JP -- but I'm definitely going to get the new episodes as they're released.

Top Bottom