• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead - Season 1 - A Telltale Games Series (Steam/PSN/XBLA/iOS/Mac)

Daigoro

the demo was good but short. seems like the first ep might not be that long.

i liked pretty much everything about it though. its pretty well done. im most likely going to buy it at some point.

LEGGZZZZ

Part of me wants to buy this, but the other side wants to wait so I can experience the full version without having to wait a whole month for another episode.

Bought it on 360 without playing the demo. Starts off really generically and kinda lackluster for 3 chapters. Around chapter 4 your responses start to register and the story, while still not very unique, begins to take off. I'm definitely in for chapter 2.

ElRenoRaven

Part of me wants to buy this, but the other side wants to wait so I can experience the full version without having to wait a whole month for another episode.

Ah that's half the fun. You finish the current episode then you spend the time till the next one anticipating it and talking to others about the current one and what you want to see in the next.

megalowho

Just finished the first episode in one sitting. That was great! Well written, interesting characters and situations. Simple adventure game mechanics but they never get in the way, and I love the way dialogue is handled. Really unique feel overall, looking forward to more.

Gotta say I got attached to Clementine really quickly, maybe it's because of my niece (really should just say my daughter at this point since I have legal custody) so my parental instinct or something but I'd save her over everyone in the game every time the choice was made.

SmithnCo

Just finished the first ep, it was nicely written and there were a lot of tough situations. I was impressed by how your choices carry over, based on the preview. It looks really nice artistically too. I could see myself replaying it with different choices once I finish the first playthrough and the rest of the episodes are out.

I really liked the
percentages it shows you at the end. I was with the majority for most of them, and even then the majority is sometimes only a couple percentage points higher. I chose to save Doug though, which doesn't look like a popular choice.

They also do a good job of making you want to protect Clementine, I told her to go to the bathroom and immediately regretted it when I figured out she'd be attacked.

Yeah just finished it, WANT THE NEXT EPISODE NOW. They hooked me like the show did. The way choices you make play out and whatnot is just really awesome. Great job TT

Which platform is cheaper, xbla or psn?

same price for single episodes on both. you can buy the season on psn for 19.99 though. saves you 5 bucks

SmithnCo

I also have to say this is on track to be my favorite Telltale series. If the remaining episodes are as good, and I think they will be.

Once you get Clementine is when I felt invested. My only complaint is that she sounds like she's voiced by a woman instead of a child.

doomguy64

Neo Member
Took a risk buying this before even reviews were out. I'm glad I did because it turned out alright, I'm a fan of the comics and the somewhat ok tv show and had to get my fix. Decent voice acting, good music score and a decent graphical presentation (comical looking) which I find well suited being that it is more closely tied to the comics

One gripe though and I'm sure its been mentioned in the thread already but wtf is with the reporter not knowing that the thing needs bloody batteries!!

Good job so far telltale! Looking forward to the next episode.

Took a risk buying this before even reviews were out. I'm glad I did because it turned out alright, I'm a fan of the comics and the somewhat ok tv show and had to get my fix. Decent voice acting, good music score and a decent graphical presentation (comical looking) which I find well suited being that it is more closely tied to the comics

One gripe though and I'm sure its been mentioned in the thread already but wtf is with the reporter not knowing that the thing needs bloody batteries!!

Good job so far telltale! Looking forward to the next episode.

Not thinking to check the battery compartment is somewhat understandable. The "don't know how to put batteries in" part that is the kicker.

That puzzle would have made more sense if say there were already batteries in it, but the thing still didn't work. So you had to find replacements. But you can only find one, you have to see if one of the "dead" batteries will work with the new one.

doomguy64

Neo Member
Not thinking to check the battery compartment is somewhat understandable. The "don't know how to put batteries in" part that is the kicker.

That puzzle would have made more sense if say there were already batteries in it, but the thing still didn't work. So you had to find replacements. But you can only find one, you have to see if one of the "dead" batteries will work with the new one.

Yeah I remember finding 1 or 2 batteries but I did give her some but nothing took after that. I was under the impression that she would just hear some emergency broadcast.

Yeah I remember finding 1 or 2 batteries but I did give her some but nothing took after that. I was under the impression that she would just hear some emergency broadcast.

You didn't finish that "puzzle" then? She puts them in upsidedown and you have to fix it for her. Because she is a moron.

doomguy64

Neo Member
You didn't finish that "puzzle" then? She puts them in upsidedown and you have to fix it for her. Because she is a moron.

Oh jeez that's probably what has happened. I gave the batteries and didn't really pay attention to her and walked off cause I was dying to see what the other guy wanted to go outside for. lol she just gets worst, I'm surprised she knows how to operate a pistol!

Haunted

Working as a radio reporter but doesn't know "what to look for" or how to put in fucking batteries and they let her have a gun.

That really stuck out weird in an otherwise really cohesive experience.

Ketch

I've played all the tell tale stuff besides sam and max, and right now this is tied for favorite with BTTF. I'm guessing that by the end this will easily be my favorite of the two though. The way the choices play into it and because I'm also a huge fan of the walking dead comics and zombies in general.... Back to the Future is still an awesome movie though.

dk_

Working as a radio reporter but doesn't know "what to look for" or how to put in fucking batteries and they let her have a gun.

That really stuck out weird in an otherwise really cohesive experience.
Yeah,
I should've saved the other guy

wrowa

Why can I only buy the whole season on PC but not a single episode? Even on Telltale's site it's only possible to buy the entire first season. Meh. I want to play this, but I can't afford the entire season right now. :/

I don't get the reasoning behind it either. It actually seems kinda silly to release a game episodically, but not to offer it episodically as well.

hi gaf,

i'm at a loss, me buying this game will be a major gamble, and i guess advice would be cool.

like i get the game is good, the masses of positive feedback in this thread speaks volumes.

however, i'm not really a fan of adventure games, can't say i have played alot, but thats more from my dislike, not a want to see more. i want to give the genre a go, not just ignore it

hated tales from monkey island, and sam and max devil playhouse, bored the hell out of me. its not that i think these games are necessarily bad, is more they aren't for me.

i guess i just didn't like the down time in these games, something about it, instead of creating character and atmosphere, kinda annoyed me and made me not want to play. the puzzle mechanics seem to get to me too, they are generally illogical.

basically i guess what i'm asking gaf, is how different from the above games is this kind of adventure game, it looks like i'd enjoy it and the demo was cool, but very short.

will i burn out across the game?
is it different enough to keep me more engaged than past forays in the genre?
or shall i just leave it be?

Sotha Sil

I didn't really care about this game until I heard about the choice system. Really love the Alpha Protocol-ish branching dialogues and consequences. The characterization is fine, and I already care about most of my companions.
I also really liked how Lee deals with his past during the drugstore segment: controlling him, and what he says, without knowing what he's been through was a novel and interesting experience: most games avoid this problematic element by making the player character amnesiac.

I started another playthough to make different, darker choices; a "selfish run" of sorts.
I sided with the asshole who wanted to throw Duck out, and it felt so wrong that I had to stop right here.
Which is great, actually.

Can't wait for the second episode. Found that the personalized teaser was a nice touch.

bryehn

I have no prior experience with The Walking Dead franchise or TellTale Games, but the wife and I really enjoyed this. Pretty easy, but the weight of your choices and the character interaction really drew us in. Sucks that we have to wait so long between episodes though, should have just waited for all five to be out.

Trigger

Clementine sounding like a grown woman doesn't bother me since few games I've played ever had a child voice children characters.

hi gaf,

i'm at a loss, me buying this game will be a major gamble, and i guess advice would be cool.

like i get the game is good, the masses of positive feedback in this thread speaks volumes.

however, i'm not really a fan of adventure games, can't say i have played alot, but thats more from my dislike, not a want to see more. i want to give the genre a go, not just ignore it

hated tales from monkey island, and sam and max devil playhouse, bored the hell out of me. its not that i think these games are necessarily bad, is more they aren't for me.

i guess i just didn't like the down time in these games, something about it, instead of creating character and atmosphere, kinda annoyed me and made me not want to play. the puzzle mechanics seem to get to me too, they are generally illogical.

basically i guess what i'm asking gaf, is how different from the above games is this kind of adventure game, it looks like i'd enjoy it and the demo was cool, but very short.

will i burn out across the game?
is it different enough to keep me more engaged than past forays in the genre?
or shall i just leave it be?

I haven't played any adventure games in at least two years, but I enjoyed this. It really comes down to whether you really dig the zombie genre. I love the comics and this game is basically an interactive version of them. If you don't particularly like adventure games, or the Walking Dead then I don't know what would grab your attention here.

Clementine sounding like a grown woman doesn't bother me since few games I've played ever had a child voice children characters.

I haven't played any adventure games in at least two years, but I enjoyed this. It really comes down to whether you really dig the zombie genre. I love the comics and this game is basically an interactive version of them. If you don't particularly like adventure games, or the Walking Dead then I don't know what would grab your attention here.

thanks for your input, i'm coming to this, not liking adventure games but liking the walking dead.

like it looks more appealing than other adventure game to me, and the choices sound cool.

thanks

:)

I have no prior experience with The Walking Dead franchise or TellTale Games, but the wife and I really enjoyed this. Pretty easy, but the weight of your choices and the character interaction really drew us in. Sucks that we have to wait so long between episodes though, should have just waited for all five to be out.

this gives me hope that i might enjoy

vazel

Banned
Okay, who wants a Steam code?
hyper.gif

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Will you be having a quiz contest, Gary? :D

Aeana

I really liked the first episode a lot. However, I am really irritated that they spoiled so much about episode 2 in that "next time" segment before the credits.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I really liked the first episode a lot. However, I am really irritated that they spoiled so much about episode 2 in that "next time" segment before the credits.

Yea, I'm really not a fan of the recent trend of spoiling everything in trailers and promo material. :/

jtrov

Just beat episode one last night and I loved it. Thoroughly looking forward to episode two after watching the preview for the upcoming episode.

Really enjoyed the characters of this first episode and I can't wait to see where the story goes from here. I also can't wait to see how my decisions and dialogue tones affect the story going forward.

Hyped for episode two!

JohngPR

That's the season pass for all episodes, no? You can buy them individually if you're on the fence.

I'm definitely in it for all five episodes. If you buy them individually on PSN it'll be $5 more since they are $5 each.

My situation is weird in that I've been in the hospital with my son for the last 6 days, so if it was just a one week only sale on PSN I was going to try and see if I can get my wife to buy it on our PS3 since I'm not at home.

I just wanted to make sure that the $19.99 season pass wasn't a one week affair as they sometimes do since I didn't want to miss out on it.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I'm definitely in it for all five episodes. If you buy them individually on PSN it'll be $5 more since they are $5 each.

My situation is weird in that I've been in the hospital with my son for the last 6 days, so if it was just a one week only sale on PSN I was going to try and see if I can get my wife to buy it on our PS3 since I'm not at home.

I just wanted to make sure that the $19.99 season pass wasn't a one week affair as they sometimes do since I didn't want to miss out on it.

Wait it's only 20 US bucks? Damn you, Eurosteam! Now I'll definitely wait for a deal, no way I'm paying like 10 Euros extra >:/
edit: nvm, it's 25 USD, just the usual screwover then.

Top Bottom