• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead - Season 1 - A Telltale Games Series (Steam/PSN/XBLA/iOS/Mac)

GeekyDad

Watched my wife play for about an hour last night. She said, "I always get roped into this shit."

She loves it...

JohngPR

Wait it's only 20 US bucks? Damn you, Eurosteam! Now I'll definitely wait for a deal, no way I'm paying like 10 Euros extra >:/
edit: nvm, it's 25 USD, just the usual screwover then.

It's $19.99 USD on PSN.

First, the good news: The first episode of The Walking Dead, ‘A New Day,’ will arrive on PSN this Tuesday, April 24th. Each episode will cost $4.99 on the PlayStation Store, and you’ll be able to pre-purchase the entire five-episode season for $19.99 to save $4.99 off of the total season price and nab an exclusive PS3 premium theme (head to the bottom of the post for more details).

Galdelico

I played the demo on PS3 and on the 360. I was hoping to pick it up for the 360, but the the graphics look a look darker and more washed out than the PS3. Has anyone else noticed it, or is it just my setup?
Different darkness is just a matter of initial setup, it can be adjusted so both versions can look the same under this regard.

But I'm kinda surprised you were right about the textures' resolution (not because I don't trust you :D but just cos I thought this game could have easily been identical on both platforms): Lee's shirt is visibly more pixelated on 360 (it looks fine on PS3), as well as a good bunch of other textures here and there. On the other hand, I noticed the sunlight effect (when you get into the house) being awfully blocky on PS3...

I just tried out both demos, tho, and now I wonder which version may have the edge over the other one, on the whole.

surly

Banned
Which platform is cheaper, xbla or psn?
UK prices: -

PSN = £3.99 per episode / £15.99 for the season pass
XBLA = £3.40 per episode (no season pass option)
Steam = £20.99 for the season pass (no single episode option)

Just finished it. I thought it was pretty great aside from a few minor things like the slightly wonky camera and some small performance issues.

This one is eagerly awaiting the next episode.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The first episode has me wanting
A) A new episode
B) A Game of Thrones TTG adventure game. combine sword+neck

Kinyou

The first episode has me wanting
A) A new episode
B) A Game of Thrones TTG adventure game. combine sword+neck
F*ck yeah!

After Jurrassic Park I thought they should never touch a movie/TV franchise again but Walking Dead totally redeemed them.

Just finished Ep 1. Absolutely loved it. It reminded me of Heavy Rain in terms of confronting you with difficult decisions. Thought the dialogue was great and really liked Lee's character, very interested in seeing where this could go

Not liking that Lee used the word "Zombie" in the shelter. Everything else is cool.

Used a bunch of words. Seems like "zombie" would logically come up by at least one person in the early days this game takes place in before people settled on calling them whatever their group settles on.

CTE

F*ck yeah!

After Jurrassic Park I thought they should never touch a movie/TV franchise again but Walking Dead totally redeemed them.

"Just when I thought you couldn't possibly get any dumber, TT, you go and do this.........and TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF!!!"

harrylloyd.jpg

ArjanN

Was Jurassic Park really that bad? I kind of want to see it for myself.

Not really IMO, I find it pretty similar to the Walking Dead, they mostly just hide the linearity better in the Walking Dead.

If you want to give it a try get the PC version though.

I'm really aching for the next episode. I find myself wondering what's gonna happen to all those characters. I'm suprised this game grabbed me as much as it did.

Just finished it, and really surprised at the amount of puzzles and adventuring in the game. I went in after hearing some of the latest GBcast discussion where they said it was mostly talking to people (not that they were bagging on it for that or anything). While there is a lot of talking in it, I actually spent more time spent adventuring and puzzling.

Also, a lot of the Heavy Rain influence loops back around and just becomes what most people would consider classic adventure gaming, when you play mouse and keyboard and you're pointing and clicking about. Heavy Rain is an adventure game anyways, but just how thin the distinction between "direct & gesture" vs "point & click" became more-so apparent.

Btw, does anyone have a name for those Heavy Rain derived "timed event puzzles", I mean that's what I'm calling them right now (or TPE's). The kind of scenario's in HR like when you were trapped in a car underwater, and need the puzzle is figuring out how to escape before the car fills up and you drown. They're usually fairly simple, but just hard enough to get some frantic excitement going as you scramble to figure it out before the allotted time runs out.

They fall somewhere between traditional QTE's and traditional inventory or problem solving puzzles. They've been a little on the simple side in TWD so far, but I like the variety they provide.

I took some issue with the audio quality for the voices and a the animation being stiff in spots (emotive transitions, mouth movement, some gestures) but despite that I had a great time and can't wait for the next episode. Being a fan of the comics, seeing Glen and Hershel before the main story events was cool too.

RoylAsult

I just bought it this afternoon and finished it in about a hour and a half. Great game, going to replay it in a few days and make different choices. This was well worth the 5$ and cant wait for the other ones to come out. Also the stats they gave you at the end were pretty interesting haha

Izick

Heard about this on the Bombcast and I gave the PS3 demo a shot. Damn, it was awesome.

So what's the consensus on which console version to get?

Glix

I played the first hour and loved it.

I'm having some performance issues :-(

I played Alan Wake right after on max, and had no issues, so I'm annoyed that this is causing problems.

Izick

I don't know why, but from the small demo, I really just kind of liked and clicked with the main character. It felt like a good mix of "I'm putting my own personality in here with my choices" and that he had his own kind of cool and unique personality. Does he stay likable throughout the episode, and is it planned to keep him for the foreseen future, or is it a new character per episode type of deal?

SmithnCo

I don't know why, but from the small demo, I really just kind of liked and clicked with the main character. It felt like a good mix of "I'm putting my own personality in here with my choices" and that he had his own kind of cool and unique personality. Does he stay likable throughout the episode, and is it planned to keep him for the foreseen future, or is it a new character per episode type of deal?

There's a preview for episode 2 where he is still there, I think he'll be the central character in all of them. IMO he does stay likeable too.

Messi

Yes and Yes and no to a new character. He is awesome, as is clemetine.

Noaloha

I haven't seen or heard anything suggesting Lee stops being the series's main protagonist. He's certainly a character in his own right, rather than some vanilla doll onto whom you project a personality. There's a backstory to him, a past, as well as a certain attitude demonstrated by what sort of dialogue options you're offered (or, in the case of the first episode, not offered). He's fleshed out an appropriate amount during episode 1, with aspects of his past that are sure to surface and cause ripples as the series floats on.

Izick

Cool. Yeah, I just really liked the character as soon as I saw the design, and especially when I heard the voice. Everything seemed to click for me for that character, which doesn't always happen automatically for me with games. The last time I can remember that happening so fast was with like Snake in MGS 2.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I totally love this game, and think TT knocked it out of the park. I also loved Back to the Future, but I avoided Jurassic Park like the plague.

I really like all of the characters introduced so far, and enjoyed some of the cameos/foreshadowing.

I also have to say that, as a black male, it was really great to get a black protagonist that wasn't a raging stereotype, and was incredibly empathetic and likable. There weren't any obnoxious, cringe-worthy bits of dialogue from Lee, and I'd love to see more of that in gaming in general.

I'm dying for the next episode. I didn't get BTTF until all 5 episodes were out (and I think I got a PS+ discount, maybe), so this is the first time I've gotten into a TT game from the get go. They did a great job translating this.

I love the art style as well, and the tension level in a lot of the scenes was really well done. When does episode 2 come out?

D23

finally finished it in one sitting, wow that was pretty awesome and was pretty intense as well.

i cant wait for episode 2

ArjanN

I haven't seen or heard anything suggesting Lee stops being the series's main protagonist. He's certainly a character in his own right, rather than some vanilla doll onto whom you project a personality. There's a backstory to him, a past, as well as a certain attitude demonstrated by what sort of dialogue options you're offered (or, in the case of the first episode, not offered). He's fleshed out an appropriate amount during episode 1, with aspects of his past that are sure to surface and cause ripples as the series floats on.

Until Gary Whitta kills him off in the opening scene of the episode he's writing. ;)

def sim

Wow, this game is just great. I played the whole thing in one sitting; I needed to know what happens next. Having to wait kills me, but that's just a testament to the writing and pacing.

The battery thing was silly for sure, however. I mean, what hell lady?

Played through the whole thing in one go tonight. I'm so glad I caved and bought this before waiting for it to finish.

I really had a great time. The characters are already hitting an excellent curve for me, and Lee and Clementine have a really natural way of interacting and talking with each other. The art direction is probably one of my favorite aspects of the game, because it's just so well executed. The look and feel of everything just really sells the illustrated look they were aiming for. The tension for some of those scenes were really well handled, and the way the controls played out were probably more than I ever would have expected from a point and click.

I'm so pumped for episode 2, and I can't wait to see how the choices and reactions I pick play out as this continues on.

My only complaint was that afterwards,
it said I had lied to Hershel. I don't remember any of my answers being lies, but maybe I just didn't pick the "best" choices? I was trying to play things really straight, because I don't see any sense in creating unnecessary tensions and issues down the line with people. Oh well.

I've never read or watched anything from the series, but I'm pretty interested in reading the comics now.

Lying to Hershel constitutes anything other than saying "I AM A CRIMINAL"

I thought it was for
not telling the truth of how you got hurt. At least Lee sounded like he was obviously lying when you pick "I don't remember" and I got the "you shouldn't lie" speech later, which I suppose if you told the truth it would have been what you said

I thought it was for
not telling the truth of how you got hurt. At least Lee sounded like he was obviously lying when you pick "I don't remember" and I got the "you shouldn't lie" speech later, which I suppose if you told the truth it would have been what you said
I said it was from a car accident, and (this was before I turned off notifications) it said Hershel believed me.

I said it was from a car accident, and (this was before I turned off notifications) it said Hershel believed me.

I don't know then,
maybe about your relationship to the girl? I was worried about being inconsistent from person to person and getting caught in a lie, but I really don't know how deep the conversational actually system goes.
There were a few instances where I thought I was just picking a neutral answer or something even keel to
defuse a situation and people took it wrong
. Which is weird but still interesting since I'd expect that would be bound to happen with crazy people.

KScorp

I'm really wondering how these early choices will pan out later in the game. I'm keeping the notifications on because I want to keep track of which choices make a difference, or if there are some events which don't give notifications.

For instance:
Clementine asks if you killed the zombie in the house. You can say either "Yes," "I don't know," or "something else did." I said "I don't know."
It says she'll remember what you said, but I honestly don't have any clue how this will come into play later, I didn't see any use of it this chapter.

Fantastic first episode by the way, but I'm still worried the next few might not live up to my expectations. The only downside about paying in advance.

Top Bottom