• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead - Season 1 - A Telltale Games Series (Steam/PSN/XBLA/iOS/Mac)

jondy1703

Neo Member
Should I pick this up on PS3 or PC? I'm sure my PC would run it pretty well, but the $20 instead of $25 on PSN is quite tempting... any input?

Trigger

Should I pick this up on PS3 or PC? I'm sure my PC would run it pretty well, but the $20 instead of $25 on PSN is quite tempting... any input?

Didn't some people complain about audio issues on PC? You might want to look back a few pages for the PC users input.

Trigger

These posts were what I was thinking of when I mentioned complaints about audio:

Evil Mario said:
Seems like the one conversation with the officer in the beginning always glitches out for me (missing audio). Otherwise, entertaining game. Far less exploration than older point n click adventures, but the voice acting is top notch.

That annoys me. I played Tales of Monkey Island at release, and around the time of the second episode, they initially put it out with the same issue this game has, low quality, over-compressed audio. Lots of people complained and it was very noticeable. So they fixed it! Offered everyone the ability to re download the episode, and the audio was great. The rest of the season after that incident was fine.

Reading a bit more on this issue, apparently Sam & Max season 3 also suffers a bit, as does this game (clearly). It was even mentioned in a RPS Wot I Think:

I really hope they put out a higher quality build before I get around to it, as it's going to annoy me, now that I know about it. They mentioned on the Telltale forums it would get brought to the developer's attention, so maybe there's hope.

It's really dumb, because none of the platforms this releases on is size an issue. ~450MB vs say 800-900MB, would be fine, though I doubt it would need to be that large.

Wtf. The audio on the PC version is TERRIBLE. It's pathetically low quality. What the hell did they do to it?

I played on the 360 though, so hell if I know how valid the complaints are.

Corto

These posts were what I was thinking of when I mentioned complaints about audio:

I played on the 360 though, so hell if I know how valid the complaints are.

I'm having some issues with the audio too on PS3. Small sound glitches with word skips or repetitions.

Svafnir

I really enjoyed this and I don't usually like adventure games. Pleasantly surprised and will def pick up the other ones. Wish the farm was a bit longer though

Gary/Jake, how do you keep from getting weak in the knees whenever you're around Sean Vanaman? The man emits radiation that could melt kneecaps without mercy and create butterflies from hell in your stomach.

6VwNx.gif

Somethingsomething can't wait for episode 2.

Jake

Those complaints are outdated, fortunately! The PC audio pack on day one went out with the wrong compression settings, but it's since been patched with higher quality audio!

Gary/Jake, how do you keep from getting weak in the knees whenever you're around Sean Vanaman? The man emits radiation that could melt kneecaps without mercy and create butterflies from hell in your stomach.
By saying this you're just adding to his power. You're part of the problem!

Its like Heavy Rain with slightly crappier graphics.
Can we put that on the box?

Trigger

The Heavy Rain comparisons are insulting. The Walking Dead's writing has been top-notch. There was maybe one scene of genuine tension in the HR. If Quantic Dream had made this game the game would be filled with bad southern accents and plot holes.

Those complaints are outdated, fortunately! The PC audio pack on day one went out with the wrong compression settings, but it's since been patched with higher quality audio!

Glad to hear. I don't play on PC though so it was never a big deal to me.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
How good is this if you know nothing about the comic books and tv show? Any people in this situation and have played the game?

Fox Mulder

How good is this if you know nothing about the comic books and tv show? Any people in this situation and have played the game?

I haven't read any of the comics and the show is off in Its own interpreted Walkind Dead universe anyways. The characters are engaging and the games gets pretty tense. I can't wait to continue the story.

Trigger

You don't need knowledge of the universe to enjoy the game, but if a person doesn't enjoy adventure games or zombies then I wouldn't really recommend it. A few people who haven't played many adventure games, but like zombies still enjoyed the experience.

fernoca

I haven't read any of the comics and the show is off in Its own interpreted Walkind Dead universe anyways. The characters are engaging and the games gets pretty tense. I can't wait to continue the story.
Ye, I'm in this camp. :p
Bought it yesterday but wasn't able to play it until today. I'm aware of the comics and watched the first season of the TV series, but aside that not much. Really enjoyed the game and can't wait for the second episode.

Planning on playing again and choosing the opposite things I did. :p

Until Episode 2!

Unforunately on Xbox Live thats probably not going to happen. Since episodes 2 through 5 are DLC and DLC doesn't count towards that ranking as Arcade games are ranked by full copies sold, anyone who has bought episode 1 and buys further episodes will not show up on that ranking. So the only way Walking Dead will be number 1 again is if a bunch of new people buy episode 1 when episode 2 comes out. Same for episodes 3-5.

Isn't it also the #1 cable show? People love zombies!

Honestly I had enough of zombies, they are in fucking everything at the moment, which was also part of the reason I wasn't really sure if I should get this at first (together with jurassic park game). Glad I decided to pick it up though, enjoyed it surprisingly much and they better get episode 2 out soon.

The Heavy Rain comparisons are insulting. The Walking Dead's writing has been top-notch. There was maybe one scene of genuine tension in the HR. If Quantic Dream had made this game the game would be filled with bad southern accents and plot holes.

I loved the shit out of heavy rain. :(

But yeah the voice acting was terrible at times and them plotholes... ugh... Still managed to engage me the whole way through though and it happens rarely these days, that I can sit and play a game for more than a few hours without getting bored.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Cheers for the recommendations guys, will most likely purchase the 5 game bundle on PS3 and start it when they've all been released. I can't get enough of good Zombie games!

Carcetti

I can't believe how good the first episode of this was. I mean, really... wow. I haven't been this stoked about an episodic game since Half-Life 2.

About the Heavy Rain comparisons: yeah, Walking Dead has much more natural and engaging dialogue and better voice acting. I love Heavy Rain but it's no contest.

Flunkie

Banned
Just picked it (the full season) up on PS3 last night. Played about an hour. So good. Initially was gonna wait for the iPad version but glad I didn't.

bjork

Finished it earlier today. I'm so glad that I read GAF impressions and listened to this week's Giant Bombcast, otherwise I would've missed out on this. Really well done and surprisingly intense at times. Can't wait for Episode 2!

Spoiler:
I really hope we get a chance to leave that old fart behind in the coming episodes, or better yet: use him as zombie bait. What a dick he was...

My guess is that
the old guy will fall under suspicion of being bitten, and you'll be forced to pick between loyalty to Lilly or Kenny
. Just a gut feeling.

damn, that was great! the only things that annoyed me were...

a. it kept crashing on startup! I had to mess around with a couple settings to get it to work

b. the spoilers for the next episode! I stopped watching after 10 seconds or so, but still...

c. for some reason, the game stutters during the keyboard QTEs. odd. turning off shadows helped a bit, but not completely. I have about 10x the games recommended specs, so there really should be no issues. runs and looks fine otherwise.

Really enjoyable, though. Great voice acting, interesting characters, interesting choices, neat visual style. There have been a few moments where the characters or events seem slightly boneheaded (why not leave a note for Clementine's parents to make her feel better?), but overall I am digging the game's universe.

Top Bottom