• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead - Season 1 - A Telltale Games Series (Steam/PSN/XBLA/iOS/Mac)

Fox Mulder

great for them, and I can't wait for the rest.

I was about to write Telltale off entirely after finding Puzzle Agent and Back to the Future boring and easy as shit, and they also ran like ass on the ipad. I didn't even try Jurassic Park after all the negative buzz. Maybe that stuff just isn't for me.

I loved the walking dead though. The gameplay is tense and the writing is well done.

One million episodes sold so far :)
Hopefully the numbers keep doing even better through word of mouth.

Just finished the first compendium (chapter 8), and wow. If this is the type of stuff I have to look forward to in the next episodes of the game, I'm going to be a nervous wreck all the time, hahaha.

ElRenoRaven

Oh wow in that announcement they mentioned the release of episode 2.

and you can expect to be doing more of that in Episode 2 - coming in June.

So yea that kind of sucks. As I said before though when people asked. Telltale doesn't always release one every month. Here is a prime example.

Dang it, I didn't even see that. Oh well, I'd rather it be as good or better than the first episode if it means waiting until june. Of course, they didn't say specifically when, so hopefully early!

Atruvius

Hmm, I thought we'd get the episode 2 next week. I don't really mind, I'll have Yakuza 3 and Dragon's Dogma to tie me in until the release.

I couldnt find a good thread to discuss the episode. So here is as good as any I suppose. Really really enjoyed it. If you're wondering I enjoyed the comics but found the TV show to be lacking (More so because I found it boring than how it differs from the story).

Anyway, I love the voice acting and the characters were all very convincing.

I played the episode very protective of Clem, kept mum about my past without really lying. I went for the boy instead of hershel's son. I kinda hate that kid but I like his parents so it all worked out.

The old dude is an asshole. Tried to fucking leave me for dead even though I saved his sorry ass. I was honestly hoping that there would be an option to act like there wasnt medicine for him, he's going to be trouble. The worst part is I couldnt confront him about it after Kenny saved me. I basically just got to tell him that his daughter isnt all that and find out he knows my past.

I saved Doug. My reasoning was pretty simple, she had her gun in hand and she was only being wrung around her ankle. I thought she would get away, didnt know her gun was empty. I dont really regret it, she was kinda domineering and intimidating but it's not like everyone wasnt going to learn my past anyway. But whatever, Doug is cool enough and I'm sure telltale will make saving him do something worthwhile since nobody saved him.

Good stuff. I'm eagerly awaiting the remaining episodes.

So I watched the Quick Look on this, and loved the look of it and will likely purchase Episode 1. Not even a watcher of the TV series nor the comics.

On a side note, is there anyway of getting less than 500 MS points? I have 360 points and need 40 more for this; really don't want to purchase more points than I need right now.

Tunic

Telltale updated their "The Walking Dead: The Game" Facebook page recently and said Playing Dead episode 4 is due out this week. The video will look back at episode 1 and they will also share "inside information" on episode 2. Hopefully more details about the release date will be shared. I am really wanting to play the next episode.

I love this game, because it's one of those games I can put 10-20 minutes into before I go to bed and feel like I accomplished something. I think I'm about halfway through. I never could really get into Sam and Max, but I'm really enjoying this.

Trigger

I love this game, because it's one of those games I can put 10-20 minutes into before I go to bed and feel like I accomplished something. I think I'm about halfway through. I never could really get into Sam and Max, but I'm really enjoying this.

This is weird to hear since I thoroughly consumed in about 2hrs or so.

SmithnCo

This is weird to hear since I thoroughly consumed in about 2hrs or so.

Yeah, I think of it as a "sit down and play for a couple hours every month" type of experience. But on the flipside, and can see how it would be easier to jump in little by little, because it's not as easy to forget where you are than with more traditional adventure games like Sam and Max.

TheDanger

Banned
picked this up yesterday for 360 spontaneously because I'm currently watching the TV show which I really dig. Never had a thing for comics though. Yeah I only played the first 20 minutes, but I am impressed so far. And I think it's rather cheap for what you actually get.

I like the story and the characters and I think this game will be as far as it gets in terms of character development. The graphics and the gore were a pleasant surprise as well.

Can't wait to continue.

ElRenoRaven

Playing Dead Episode 4

Keep in mind spoilers for episode 1 are in it and some minor spoilers for episode 2 in relation to when it takes place post episode 1 etc. Watch at your own risk if you are sensitive to very minor spoilers like the one mentioned.

Slair

Can anyone clarify something for me, the walking dead game and season 2 finale spoilers ahead:

If everyone is already infected, what is it about being bitten that turns the victim?

Santiako

Can anyone clarify something for me, the walking dead game and season 2 finale spoilers ahead:

If everyone is already infected, what is it about being bitten that turns the victim?

Yes
everyone is already infected, they turn because they die of the infection or the wounds.

Slair

Yes
everyone is already infected, they turn because they die of the infection or the wounds.

So the bite amplifies the infection? If a zombie had a little nibble on my arm and i recieved some quality medical treatment, i'd still be fucked?

So the bite amplifies the infection? If a zombie had a little nibble on my arm and i recieved some quality medical treatment, i'd still be fucked?

A zombie bite seems to trigger some sort of very harsh fever that is fatal.

There have been instances in the comic where amputating the limb quickly stopped the bite from causing the fever. But "quality medical treatment" is not really something you're gonna get in a zombie apocalypse.

Slair

A zombie bite seems to trigger some sort of very harsh fever that is fatal.

There have been instances in the comic where amputating the limb quickly stopped the bite from causing the fever. But "quality medical treatment" is not really something you're gonna get in a zombie apocalypse.

Thanks for the answer. haha yeah was just exaggerating about an optimal scenario.

TheDanger

Banned

Fuck I just saw spoiler, the game so I read it and I haven't finished season 2 yet :/

Trigger

Fuck I just saw spoiler, the game so I read it and I haven't finished season 2 yet :/

Now you just have something to look forward to in the later episodes (of the game). It's not that huge a spoiler though. Most TV viewers caught on pretty quickly in the other threads.

RPGCrazied

Glad its getting good sales, maybe they will do a season 2 if it keeps selling well. Sucks about June for episode 2, but I have Diablo 3 and Dragons Dogma to hold me over.

Going to try to beat this tonight. I think I'm pretty close to finishing it up. Lee's background is finally starting to come out. Loving it.

Derrick01

Banned
I picked up episode 1 on PSN on a boredom search and I finished it in 1 sitting that was probably 2-3 hours. I've never been huge into these types of games but I was pleasantly surprised for the most part, it kept me engaged and gave me the illusion that my choices were actually meaningful.

Then the internet ruined that for me. I looked up a guide after I was done to see the different choices and
I was surprised how little actually changes. Like on the farm it said if you try to save the guy he ends up dying anyway, the only difference is the old guy doesn't yell at you but you still have to leave. Uhh...whoopdey fuckin do? And the girl at the motel blows her head off regardless of what you choose, stuff like that disappoints me.

Anyway despite that I still enjoyed it and most of the characters were pretty believable if not a little cliche (another angry old guy?). The teaser for episode 2 got me excited which is pretty hard to do.

Kinyou

I picked up episode 1 on PSN on a boredom search and I finished it in 1 sitting that was probably 2-3 hours. I've never been huge into these types of games but I was pleasantly surprised for the most part, it kept me engaged and gave me the illusion that my choices were actually meaningful.

Then the internet ruined that for me. I looked up a guide after I was done to see the different choices and
I was surprised how little actually changes. Like on the farm it said if you try to save the guy he ends up dying anyway, the only difference is the old guy doesn't yell at you but you still have to leave. Uhh...whoopdey fuckin do? And the girl at the motel blows her head off regardless of what you choose, stuff like that disappoints me.

Anyway despite that I still enjoyed it and most of the characters were pretty believable if not a little cliche (another angry old guy?). The teaser for episode 2 got me excited which is pretty hard to do.
That's the usual "Heavy Rain" problem. Was still nice that the episode 2 teaser already referenced choices that I made.

Diamond

Teh internets always ruin everything. :p

In this type of game, and even more so in the first episode of a series, I don't think it's realistic to expect that every choice will branch out on a completely different path. I mean if you could stay at
Hershel's farm, they probably should've made two different episodes 2. Instead of that, these decisions slightly color your story. For instance, at the farm, if you save Duck, there's a greater chance his parents will consider you as a friend by the end.
We don't know yet how important it is, but I was happy to see they were grateful for the choice I made.

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah I guess it would be too difficult/expensive to make true branching paths. Bioware learned that the hard way and it only worked in Witcher 2 because they went out of their way to create an entire different chapter.

Though at the end of this I thought
choices were working because when Kenny saved me I thought it was because we had become "friends" by the end of this, as I had sided with him most of the time. That would have been cool if you either died or someone else you became friends with helped you.

I also got a laugh when
I saw that me and like 80% of everyone else saved the hot reporter chick instead of the nerdy guy. Guess I wasn't the only one who was hoping we'd get to smang that, but it seems like the story wants us to get with the bitchy military chick :|

Kinyou

I also got a laugh when
I saw that me and like 80% of everyone else saved the hot reporter chick instead of the nerdy guy. Guess I wasn't the only one who was hoping we'd get to smang that, but it seems like the story wants us to get with the bitchy military chick :|
Which is a bit weird to me.

I hope we get to make a decision there too ^^ Though I also wouldn't mind seeing
Carly getting angry and accusing you that you only saved her because she was a girl.

Derrick01

Banned
I actually thought she was going to go that route when we talked afterwards but she stopped just short of accusing me of that. It's a good thing too because I wasn't prepared to answer :lol

TheDanger

Banned
Finished the first episode, voice acting was a bit off at times but not too bad and my frame rate dropped pretty often. (360) But I really enjoyed it, was well worth the 400 points. Did anyone else experience the fps problem on the xbox?

Roto13

Even if Carly was male, more people would have saved her because she was actually an interesting character and Doug was not. Carly had that whole radio thing, and she was there when you went to the motel. She also talked to Lee in the back office and stuff. DOug did none of that.

Gbraga

Even if Carly was male, more people would have saved her because she was actually an interesting character and Doug was not. Carly had that whole radio thing, and she was there when you went to the motel. She also talked to Lee in the back office and stuff. DOug did none of that.

But that could be the very reason to let her die, she knows about you.

Derrick01

Banned
Finished the first episode, voice acting was a bit off at times but not too bad and my frame rate dropped pretty often. (360) But I really enjoyed it, was well worth the 400 points. Did anyone else experience the fps problem on the xbox?

On PS3 the game stutters pretty often, it's crazy. Lots of ~5 second freezes too like when someone fired a gun. It was definitely not the most polished game I played.

Roto13

But that could be the very reason to let her die, she knows about you.

Yeah. But if you care more about having interesting characters around, the choice is obvious. Plus she says she won't blab so you can choose whether or not to believe her.

If anyone chose Doug because they want their secret to die with Carly, it's perfectly valid reasoning, though. :p There's not really a wrong answer.

Trigger

Yeah. But if you care more about having interesting characters around, the choice is obvious. Plus she says she won't blab so you can choose whether or not to believe her.

If anyone chose Doug because they want their secret to die with Carly, it's perfectly valid reasoning, though. :p There's not really a wrong answer.

I also assume having someone that could handle a gun would be more helpful. And I'm 60% sure that Lee will have a chance to sex up Carly.

bjork

I also assume having someone that could handle a gun would be more helpful. And I'm 60% sure that Lee will have a chance to sex up Carly.

He could sex up Doug too, you know. He does go "I want you to know I think you're a great guy" after exchanging about 10 sentences with you...

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I downloaded the trial of this the other day after asking some of you guys about it a few weeks ago (Long story, CC+Email problems prevented store purchases). Anyway, played through the trial. was very cool. It doesn't get too far into the game but also didn't feel like they gave you a taste of any difficult decisions. (For the record for those that jumped straight in and bought the game without trying the trial, the trial ends when
you help those two guys push the car and you get your first ride
)

Really keen on this but am trying to have patience until another episode or two are how and I can see if the series seems consistent enough. Definitely favouring the PS3 version over the 360 if just for the discount for paying for 5 episodes in advance.

Quite surprised to read above that Ep 2 isn't out till June, I thought they were all releasing at the end of each month.

Pandemic

Are their intentions of releasing an episode each month... Or.. Is it whenever they deem necessary?

Edit: Just realized it's set for release sometime in June.. Hopefully the beginning?

Top Bottom