• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead - Season 1 - A Telltale Games Series (Steam/PSN/XBLA/iOS/Mac)

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
As long as this doesn't happen again with the following episodes I'm okay but it's really starting to piss me off.

megalowho

I don't know if development is wildly behind schedule, or certification is a bitch, or bugs or what. All I know is lots of folks like me paid for 5 episodes upfront with the promise of near-monthly releases, going by Telltale's previous track record and the schedule on their own website.

If these are the kind of delays we can expect with The Walking Dead, whatever the unsaid reasons may be, Telltale's reputation for doing the episodic model right is going to take a pretty decent hit (and deservedly so).

Alpha_eX

Just finished Walking Dead Episode 1, loved it though the script had some issues. Most of the time, you're asked to answer questions about your past... well the game doesn't fill you in, so some questions you don't know how to answer and there are some situations (letting others know your parents owned the shop, so you know what it is) that even you as a player won't realise until a bit later on. Now I know about Lee's past, I can go back and answer better, but when you first come against some questions it's pointless giving the player choice as they have nothing to go on.

Silly script issues aside, I really enjoyed it and can't wait for the second episode.

I'm curious if some characters would have had a different fate dependant on my choices. I chose [InlineSpoiler]to save Duck and the girl, she's a good shot but I'm curious if the game would be different choosing to [InlineSpoiler]save shawn, the farm guy. Would that mean Duck was dead the entire game or would his dad save him.

Now I'm torn with the choice to go back and play again, but if this is a 5 episode long game, not sure I want to play like that.

Trigger

Just finished Walking Dead Episode 1, loved it though the script had some issues. Most of the time, you're asked to answer questions about your past... well the game doesn't fill you in, so some questions you don't know how to answer and there are some situations (letting others know your parents owned the shop, so you know what it is) that even you as a player won't realise until a bit later on. Now I know about Lee's past, I can go back and answer better, but when you first come against some questions it's pointless giving the player choice as they have nothing to go on.

Silly script issues aside, I really enjoyed it and can't wait for the second episode.

I'm curious if some characters would have had a different fate dependant on my choices. I chose
to save Duck and the girl, she's a good shot but I'm curious if the game would be different choosing to save shawn , the farm guy. Would that mean Duck was dead the entire game or would his dad save him.

Now I'm torn with the choice to go back and play again, but if this is a 5 episode long game, not sure I want to play like that.

I was never too bothered by the dialogue choices. Many of them seem to have a logic behind them, and it still gave me a chance to fill in his character to some extent. If you really want to know about the farm choice:
Duck always lives in that scenario. Shawn's death is canon to the comic series.

FYI spoiler tags are [ spoiler ] [/ spoiler]

Sure Curt Schilling fucked up big time but at least he was very vocal about his game right here on GAF. Good and bad. Give us some news for Gods sake!

RPGCrazied

Audίoboxer;39234277 said:
The lack of communication does indeed suck for those who paid for it all upfront (myself included).

Same. :( I got the season pass on PS3. I guess next time I will be doing single episodes at a time.

Doesn't that Jake poster work for tellatale?

megalowho

Same. :( I got the season pass on PS3. I guess next time I will be doing single episodes at a time.

Doesn't that Jake poster work for tellatale?

To be fair, it's not Jake's job to be Telltale's mouthpiece to the community, he's got more important things to work on with The Walking Dead no doubt.

Whoever has that job though, well, they're not very good at their job apparently.

Fixed1979

So we're really waiting till July then?

Looks like it, I'm pretty shocked they haven't said a shit about this. The last bit of information we received from TT was the end of June.

It's almost comical at this point, I'm curious to see how long this goes on for before they say something, I would think that they have to give an update before July 1st..

ElRenoRaven

Yea this really is starting to become total bullshit. Between the delays, lack of communication about said delays, and lack of end of season discs anymore I really think I'll just start waiting till the entire series are out and on sale on Steam anymore.

Sad to say that too.

Tunic

I just saw the article posted on The Walking Dead Facebook page. Xbox tomorrow, PS3 and PC this Friday. I can't wait!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
PC delay is bullshit. Telltale can go fuck itself with its Xbox-exclusive deals or whatever is going on here. I paid the same price for the season.

Oh well, I now know to never buy a Telltale game until the season is complete, if at all. What terrible, terrible mismanagement. Haven't they been doing this stuff for years now?

Roto13

PC delay is bullshit. Telltale can go fuck itself with its Xbox-exclusive deals or whatever is going on here. I paid the same price for the season.

Oh well, I now know to never buy a Telltale game until the season is complete, if at all. What terrible, terrible mismanagement. Haven't they been doing this stuff for years now?
Yes, and there's often an episode that takes two months to get out, and it's not worth freaking out over. But hey, you're apparently the type of person who cries over a difference of two days, so I guess we should all be relieved a month hasn't driven you to suicide.

Trigger

Holy shit. Dat opening.

I wonder if I had to cut homeboy's foot off?

EDIT-

I'll just add my choices here for Episode 2 when everyone catches up.

I chopped Davids's leg off.
I let Danny shoot Jolene.
I didn't kill Larry.
I only killed Danny.
I didn't steal from the car.

pa22word

Yes, and there's often an episode that takes two months to get out, and it's not worth freaking out over. But hey, you're apparently the type of person who cries over a difference of two days, so I guess we should all be relieved a month hasn't driven you to suicide.

I think the reason most people are upset is that along with the fact that no one on the 360 side supported the entire project by buying the pass (PC players were forced to), and that the entire reason the episode was delayed as much as it was is because of MS' batshit cert process. It's effectively rewarding MS for pissing in the punchbowl.

I don't really mind the delay all that much (I've waited 2 months, what's a few more days?), but I can understand why people are upset over it.

bjork

Hey guys, just a non-spoilerish heads up: I just finished episode 2 on 360 and all of the achievements pertaining to clearing chapters didn't register. Something to do with MS' way of updating or whatever.

I'm planning on replaying once all the episodes are out so I'll get them later anyway, just figured I'd mention it since no one else has here yet. It's not just you. :)

Also: holy crap, good good good episode! When you have me talking to the TV and shit, job well done.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I'm perfectly fine with waiting, but I've gotten a very bad impression of Telltale from this whole experience. They've been very unprofessional. Where's the communication? Us who are playing on the PC have already committed to the entire season and paid up front. When we do get information, it's that the season subscribers are being forced to wait a few days while Microsoft gets some kind of exclusivity window for the Xbox. No reason given for why they can't release it on the same day on the only actually open platform.

I think the reason most people are upset is that along with the fact that no one on the 360 side supported the entire project by buying the pass (PC players were forced to), and that the entire reason the episode was delayed as much as it was is because of MS' batshit cert process. It's effectively rewarding MS for pissing in the punchbowl.

I don't really mind the delay all that much (I've waited 2 months, what's a few more days?), but I can understand why people are upset over it.

Pretty much this.

All this has taught me is that Telltale aren't very good at this whole episodic thing despite their experience. I'll happily wait when there is communication and I feel like the company is being fair and honest. From now on, if I do pick up any more Telltale games, I'll just wait until the entire season is complete and I can pick up the whole set for $10 or so during a Steam sale. It's not worth paying a premium up front to be treated like a second-class citizen or something. I'll return the favor and treat them like the second-rate developer they are and relegate them to Steam sale status, if at all.

bjork

Yeah. They all popped, but at the end I only had the three not tied to clearing chapters.

I'm curious to know if storywise, the other chapters will
introduce characters without showing how they came aboard, like Mark. I thought I was somehow playing the episodes out of order at first, heh.

Trigger

I have to say as an actual Atlanta native that hearing the name of things I recognize is so neat. lol, I attended school in the same district as Stone Mountain High School.

Yeah. They all popped, but at the end I only had the three not tied to clearing chapters.

I'm curious to know if storywise, the other chapters will
introduce characters without showing how they came aboard, like Mark. I thought I was somehow playing the episodes out of order at first, heh.

God, I hope not.
I understand the need for secondary characters, but it was so odd for Mark to just pop up out of nowhere. I imagine the whole amputation reveal and subsequent death would have had more impact if it had been someone I was invested in. I also hope that Ben kid gets some development.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Just finished it. Damn.

I absolutely loved the first one but I was only cautiously hopeful that this would be as good. I've not played a ton of Telltale games but I've heard that they have a tendency to drop off over time.

Not this time. This easily bested the first chapter. Really, really enjoyed it. I didn't like waiting for it, but if, as I'm sure is the case, they needed the time to rewrite or ensure the quality was there, then I don't mind at all.

I must say some of the end revelation was lost on me though.
I recognize that the woman was Clementine's mom (right?), but didn't really get anything else she was talking about. Anyone?

Trigger

I must say some of the end revelation was lost on me though.
I recognize that the woman was Clementine's mom (right?), but didn't really get anything else she was talking about. Anyone?

That's not Clementine's mom. Her mother's name is Diana. I believe the game itself identifies the woman as "Jolene" when giving you the stats on other player's choices. I also thought the game's previous episode implied that Diana and Ed didn't make it back from their trip. My assumption is that Jolene's real daughter was killed/raped by the brothers and hunters, and she developed a fixation on Clementine.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
That's not Clementine's mom. Her mother's name is Diana. I believe the game itself identifies the woman as "Jolene" when giving you the stats on other player's choices. I also thought the game's previous episode implied that Diana and Ed didn't make it back from their trip. My assumption is that Jolene's real daughter was killed/raped by the brothers and hunters, and she developed a fixation on Clementine.

Makes sense, thanks. So she was just a psycho then. The way it was presented in game it seemed as if there was some sort of plot twist to be had there.

Trigger

^^^^^
It's also worth noting that (according to the wiki) Diana and Ed were put under quarantine at a military outpost. Jolene never brings that up at all. I'm more curious who that car at the end belonged to. There weren't any signs of people and no walkers about.

Makes sense, thanks. So she was just a psycho then. The way it was presented in game it seemed as if there was some sort of plot twist to be had there.

The first episode featured the walkers as the main threat. I took the video as a sort of "You're not in Kansas anymore" message. Jolene (and presumably a group of survivors) naively trusted the St. Johns and were punished terribly for it. This whole chapter really focused on the threat of crazy people as whole.

Tunic

Wow! I was very impressed with Episode 2. It definitely topped Episode 1 in my opinion. The storyline definitely took a dark turn. I like how they developed the
St. John's into a canibal family. Very creepy!
It will definitely be another long month or so waiting for the next episode as before.

I have an idea with the ending of Episode 2.
Do you think initially the people that have the camera are the St. John brothers and they are videotaping Clementine and being pedophiles and then Jolene walks up on them and calls them rapists and keeps the camera? Maybe Jolene's daughter was raped and killed by the St. John brothers and Jolene is trying to save Clementine from them?

Top Bottom