• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead - Season 1 - A Telltale Games Series (Steam/PSN/XBLA/iOS/Mac)

sixghost

This game is fantastic, I really hope it's doing well for Telltale.

anyway, spoilers
I think my save might have been fucked up, or the "loyalty" system isn't as complex as I thought. The only time I didn't side with Kenny during ep.1 was when Larry thought the kid was bitten, but Kenny was extremely hostile from the get go in ep 2. So it seems like the system is based on a few very big choices, rather than an accumulation of smaller ones.

Other than that it was great. I loved the gradual change in tone at the dairy from. Initially it was idyllic, the sun and everything else was overly bright and cheery. Then as you started to piece things together, it got darker and darker until you had the thunderstorm at the end.

The battery joke was pretty good too.

What the fuck. My save file is gone.

There are still save files in \Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead, but the game does not seem to think they exist.

Edit: Was able to trick it into loading one of my old saves by moving them to a different folder, then starting a new game and letting it play till it autosaved, then copied my most recent autosave over and renamed it. Oddly the autosaves numbering system is not chronological. The first save it made was "save_6".

Still, pretty troubling that it could just fuck up like this...

derFeef

Im gonna play it with my GF on Sunday I believe. She loooooooooves the walking dead, more so the comics than the TV show but still both really, one of the few "geeky" interests we share since she's not really into that kind of stuff (including videogames) but she's eager to play this solely from the fact that she loves the source material, im excited to see her reactions.

I found out that a lot of woman who are not itnerested in this kind of stuff normally, really like TWD for whatever reason. Should be no different with this game, then!

Fjordson

Holy fuck @ episode 2. That was great. Me and the wife were freaking out towards the end! Saw one of the big twists a bit early, but whatever. Fantastic overall. Can't wait for the next episode.

ElRenoRaven

Yup. Add me to the group that saw the twist but still loved episode 2. I'd say it was every bit on par with episode 1. Now hopefully we'll get episode 3 faster. Also I'd love to find out who was the lucky SOB who won the contest to be in episode 4.

Hambone

Just finished Episode 2. Oh my God, what an amazing episode....I can't stop thinking about it, and how much I want Episode 3 right now.

Good job, TT. I was butthurt that the episode came so late, but it didn't disappoint!

Ferny

Just finished Episode 2. Oh my God, what an amazing episode....I can't stop thinking about it, and how much I want Episode 3 right now.

Good job, TT. I was butthurt that the episode came so late, but it didn't disappoint!

I felt the same way. I thought ep 1 was good but episode 2 was like WOW. It was such a great ride from beginning to end.

Mdk7

Do you guys think this game could be appreciated by someone who hasn't read the novel (nor watched the TV series)?

ElRenoRaven

Yeah, but if you don't like zombie/survival stories then it might not be your cup of tea.

I'd agree. You certainly can but if you aren't a fan of those type of stories you're not gonna like it too much. Also if you are a huge action fan and hate slower paced games then it might not be your cup of tea either. However if you like those types of stories and don't mind a slower paced game that doesn't have a lot of action to it then you'll love it.

KevinCow

Banned
Alright, could someone tell me where the hell to find the screwdriver?

I hate when these stupid item hunts completely kill the pace of the game.

Alright, could someone tell me where the hell to find the screwdriver?

I hate when these stupid item hunts completely kill the pace of the game.

There's like maybe 6-8 things you can interact with in the whole farm. How hard could it be? I picked up the multitool before I needed it, in classic adventure game fashion of "borrowing" things just in case...

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Loving everything about EP2 so far except how jerky the movements are I the cutscenes. EP1 wasn't this bad.

Love this fucking game either way.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
After completing EP2 I can't help but be disappointed at how predictable it was. So far EP1 was much, much better. I can't believe it took this many months for this. By the end of it I felt rushed and empty.

EP1: 9/10
EP2: 3/10

sixghost

After completing EP2 I can't help but be disappointed at how predictable it was. So far EP1 was much, much better. I can't believe it took this many months for this. By the end of it I felt rushed and empty.

You didn't like it because you saw the twist coming?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
You didn't like it because you saw the twist coming?

I felt that it was short of any dread like the first episode. It felt short and unfocused. I don't know why but I felt rushed and there wasn't any challenge.

Edit- after playing it a second time I think my biggest gripe outside of the obvious twist is the complete lack of challenge. There wasn't a single puzzle or moment where you had to think.

fallout

I felt that it was short of any dread like the first episode. It felt short and unfocused. I don't know why but I felt rushed and there wasn't any challenge.
I had all sorts of dread and I think it's actually because of how well they setup that ending. I don't think it was meant to be a surprise or anything. By the time I got to the scene where
you're climbing the stairs during supper
I was like:
"Oh fuck, no. NOOOOoooo. Don't make me keep going."

Mrbob

Edit- after playing it a second time I think my biggest gripe outside of the obvious twist is the complete lack of challenge. There wasn't a single puzzle or moment where you had to think.

I finished Episode 2, and while I wouldn't put such a huge gap between them, I agree to a degree about your issues with it. I liked Episode 1 a little better too, but more of a comparing a 9 versus an 8-8.5. The plot twist was way too obvious, and the episode seemed to be devoid of any type of quality puzzle. Put together a swing, turn off the generator. Although I can understand why the puzzles are simpler in this series. You don't want puzzles to slow down the experience so the pace can keep going. Thankfully, the intensity in the higher octane scenes is still there. Also, the narration helps make the episode really good. I'm loving the character interactions, and I said Daaaaaamn during that one Kenny scene. Can't wait for Episode 3.

Season compilation coming to retail, second season coming:

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/7/6/3141748/telltale-walking-dead-season-two

"We believe there is no better company than Telltale to bring complex narrative IP to interactive entertainment," senior vice president of marketing Steve Allison said in a statement to Polygon. "Our first episodic game series based on The Walking Dead has sold nearly 1.7 million episodes to consumers in just our first 8 weeks with no signs of slowing down. We have three more episodes to go with Episode 3 targeted for August as we confirmed yesterday.

"Following the digital release of our fifth episode we will also be coming to North American retail shortly thereafter and this will not be the last The Walking Dead game series that we do."

Allison also commented on the Activision-published shooter set in the Walking Dead universe, announced earlier today.

"Regarding today's announcement of a project based [on] the AMC TV series coming in 2013," Allison said, "as huge fans of the franchise and the show, we're looking forward to seeing Terminal Reality's game when it comes out."

Kinyou

Roto13

I played this yesterday because I was out of town for a while.

Oh my god, chopping off that guy's leg. I could barely watch myself do it. It was horrible in an awesome way. This game does such a good job of making me do things I don't want to do, or making me second guess myself. Like I always said I couldn't wait for Larry to die, but when he was having his heart attack, I tried to save him, because it was the right thing to do. I did see the plot twist coming the first time Mama St. John wouldn't let me see Mark, but just that realization was shocking. I didn't need to find Mark legless in the bedroom to be shocked that the characters were cannibals. :p

Episode was awesome. Much better than the first, which was also awesome. Does a perfect job of capturing what makes the Walking Dead so great.

I just wish it would stop asking me to answer questions about Lee's past if they're not going to tell me what his past is, first. :p Kind of immersion breaking when the character I'm controlling knows important things that I don't.

Is the demo for episode 1 a decent representation of the games?

I enjoyed what I played of it (all 3 minutes pffft...). Kind of felt like a Heavy Rain meets Resident Evil from a gameplay perspective.

Atruvius

Is the demo for episode 1 a decent representation of the games?

I enjoyed what I played of it (all 3 minutes pffft...). Kind of felt like a Heavy Rain meets Resident Evil from a gameplay perspective.

Kinda. The game gets much better and more intense after the demo area. If you liked the demo you're gonna love the episodes.

I haven't played the games yet (just the demo for sode 1) but I'm kind of disappointed in the achievements for this series. I was hoping for more than just completing chapters. I would've liked to see some achievements based on the decisions you make.

derFeef

This continues to be fantastic, played EP2 in one sitting. This game/series is Telltales masterpiece right there. I hope they can keep it up like that.

Trigger

Hm. I completely missed that Episode 2 thread. I just assumed this would be the place to post given that it's the "Season 1" thread.

This should be the main place to post about the series, but I imagine an "unmarked spoilers" thread is very tempting. Hopefully in August we can contain the conversation to two threads.

Kinyou

This should be the main place to post about the series, but I imagine an "unmarked spoilers" thread is very tempting. Hopefully in August we can contain the conversation to two threads.
I blame the community subforum.
Would have totally lost track of this thread if I hadn't subscribed to it.

You could even argue that they should move this thread back to "gaming" since it's an on going series.

Roto13

I like that
Caroline remembers whatever word you used to describe the smell of the barn in the first episode, and uses it to describe the smell of the barn in the second episode.

Trigger

I have the TV show and the telltale season. I could get the comic books.

Is there any recommended order?

I'd watch the show first if you have access to it. The comics are where it started, but the live action show is a decent replacement if you don't own the comics. In theory, you could play the game and watch the show.

If your'e gonna for sure do both, watch the TV show first.

Cause the Telltale game drops a big piece of knowledge in episode 2 that the tv show saved for the end of season 2.

I have the TV show and the telltale season. I could get the comic books.

Is there any recommended order?
Read the comics. I've only read the first compendium at this point, but it gets pretty great.

I played episode one, read the compendium, and then played episode 2. I'm quite pleased with the order I did them in.

RPGCrazied

I knew there would be a season 2. Walking Dead is the hot thing right now. I sure hope we see people from the TV show this time.

Mrbob

If your'e gonna for sure do both, watch the TV show first.

Cause the Telltale game drops a big piece of knowledge in episode 2 that the tv show saved for the end of season 2.

I haven't seen season 2 yet, but if I had to guess is this it?

Everyone is infected and you don't need to be bitten to be zombified but just die?

Top Bottom