• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead - Season 1 - A Telltale Games Series (Steam/PSN/XBLA/iOS/Mac)

PiLON

Neo Member
Can anyone tell me what happens if you
save Hershels son instead of Duck?
Curious to what would have unfolded after that.

Atruvius

I have bought the Walking Dead Compendium and should be getting it in 10 days. The question is should I wait and read some of the comic first or dive into the game immediately?

The TV show started airing here last Sunday so I have lots of Walking Dead to experience right now. :p

Playing the demo on PS3 right now and the VERY first thing that popped in my head was

"Thank god, they finally locked the damn framerate"

Always HATED that with other Telltale PS3 releases.

ElRenoRaven

Got mine too and after complaining figured I should give them credit for the decision to hand out codes. Very cool.

I understand they're a pretty small company to have their own distribution platform so they understandably have some issues at times. Just wish they were a bit faster at communicating those things -- even if "oh my god, everything is on fire" kind of news isn't what almost any company likes to share with consumers.

Yea. That is the one thing they could have done better. However to their defense Telltale never sets a time in the day it will release and they do go by their timezone. So they probably thought they could fix the problem in time and eventually realized there wasn't a chance in hell.

And finished. I have to say I love the game. First thing I did was turn of shadows and started playing and it ran smooth other then the bit of sound issues that all Telltale games seem to suffer from.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow! That was fucking awesome. I loved the whole thing. Technically, the game is kind of shit. Lots of bad animations, bugged out animations, weird sound glitches, awful lighting and really low detail geometry, etc. but I overall I liked the comic book style. The various choices were cool and had me wondering what would have happened if I did things differently. I thought a couple of the puzzles were neat, too. Most importantly, the drama and tense moments had me gripped the entire time. I think this will be the first time I actually play through an entire Tell Tale developed season. I usually lose interest after the first or second episode with the other games, but I can't wait for the next episode to come out with this game.

Very cool.

This is my first exposure to The Walking Dead. I only picked up due to the recent Bombcast special with Gary and the guy from Tell Tale. I think I'll look into the TV series now.

wow, just finished this and am CRAZY hyped for episode 2.

Apparently only me and 26% of the players
chose to save Duck? i thought that one was obvious- there's no way I'd be staying with Hershel, and not pissing off Kenny seemed like the better long term plan. besides, he has a boat!

Also, that old dude is a dick, and so is his daughter.
I'm itching to let them both die painfully

Haven't played the game yet, but do choices carry on from episode to episode? Or are they self contained?

They carry over. There's a "next time on walking dead" segment after the game that directly references some of the choices you made. Also, i saw it mentioned in a few reviews of the game.

ElRenoRaven

wow, just finished this and am CRAZY hyped for episode 2.

Apparently only me and 26% of the players
chose to save Duck? i thought that one was obvious- there's no way I'd be staying with Hershel, and not pissing off Kenny seemed like the better long term plan. besides, he has a boat!

Also, that old dude is a dick, and so is his daughter.
I'm itching to let them both die painfully

They carry over. There's a "next time on walking dead" segment after the game that directly references some of the choices you made. Also, i saw it mentioned in a few reviews of the game.

Yea you and me both. I really hope I get to
Kill the old man. Leave me for dead will he? I'll make sure to return the favor if I get that chance.

Yea you and me both. I really hope I get to
Kill the old man. Leave me for dead will he? I'll make sure to return the favor if I get that chance.

I know right? After
all that bullshit I went through to get that asshole his pills..and it was a LOT of bullshit..he knocks me out and leaves me for dead over an argument? Fuck that. And then he asks if i'm trying to screw his daughter? please! She's not even hot!

Episode to episode. Its kinda cool how they only give you so long to respond too.

Alpha Protocol uses the same mechanic. Play it today!

ElRenoRaven

Episode to episode. Its kinda cool how they only give you so long to respond too.

I think I like that the most. It really puts you in his position and makes you think off the top of your head. I think that really helped bring me into the game world more then a lot of games I've played.

I know right? After
all that bullshit I went through to get that asshole his pills..and it was a LOT of bullshit..he knocks me out and leaves me for dead over an argument? Fuck that. And then he asks if i'm trying to screw his daughter? please! She's not even hot!

I know.
Carly was way hotter then his ugly ass daughter

Mrbob

Well those two kind of suck so yeah, it's a lot better. I wouldn't classy either one of those two as good, but The Walking Definitely is. Episode 1 is better than good. I'd say it's great after finishing it tonight. This is my first Telltale season pass so the wait for episode 2 will be painful!

Bladenic

So what's the verdict on this based on episode 1? Worth getting if I have had no exposure to The Walking Dead and really enjoyed Back to the Future?

ElRenoRaven

So it's good? Better than Jurassic Park and BTTF?

I loved BTTF and this one I think I'm going to love even more. It's damn good. It looks amazing but does have the usually TellTale audio issues but the gameplay is amazing. I'd say puzzle wise it's pretty easy. I'd say on par or a bit harder then BTTF. Not much though. The dialog and human interaction though makes the game.

So what's the verdict on this based on episode 1? Worth getting if I have had no exposure to The Walking Dead and really enjoyed Back to the Future?

To be honest if you liked BTTF I think you'd like it.

So it's good? Better than Jurassic Park and BTTF?

Much better. I'm having a hard time thinking of any areas where it falls short, to be honest.

and DAT ENDING! I'm hyped.

I know.
Carly was way hotter then his ugly ass daughter

yeah, I saved
carly
because i figured she'd be grateful...VERY grateful if you know what i mean. plus she's far, far more useful in a fight.

Maybe there was a conversation option on another branch where
asshole old man's daughter
might have been nicer to me, but she was a bitch the ENTIRE TIME. the
stay away from my daughter
diatribe seemed to come out of left field for me.

other than that, AAA would play again.

ElRenoRaven

Much better. I'm having a hard time thinking of any areas where it falls short, to be honest.

and DAT ENDING! I'm hyped.

yeah, I saved
carly
because i figured she'd be grateful...VERY grateful if you know what i mean. plus she's far, far more useful in a fight.

Maybe there was a conversation option on another branch where
asshole old man's daughter
might have been nicer to me, but she was a bitch the ENTIRE TIME. the
stay away from my daughter
diatribe seemed to come out of left field for me.

other than that, AAA would play again.

Yea I choose the same for the same reasons. LMAO.

I have never played a Telltale game in my life, but that's about to change. The game just finished installing, and I'm really excited about playing. I've never been interested in episodic gaming, but the impressions and trailer sold me on it. I'm just glad I don't have to worry about buying the subsequent episodes.

EDIT: WOW, haha. The game crashed at start-up.

EDIT 2: WTF? My game isn't launching =/ I see the green border around my icon, but then it just goes back to blue on Steam. Guess I'll reinstall.

ElRenoRaven

I have never played a Telltale game in my life, but that's about to change. The game just finished installing, and I'm really excited about playing. I've never been interested in episodic gaming, but the impressions and trailer sold me on it. I'm just glad I don't have to worry about buying the subsequent episodes.

EDIT: WOW, haha. The game crashed at start-up.

EDIT 2: WTF? My game isn't launching =/ I see the green border around my icon, but then it just goes back to blue on Steam. Guess I'll reinstall.

Try verifying the file integrity then also try restarting steam. Sometimes things get a bit squirrely.

Try verifying the file integrity then also try restarting steam. Sometimes things get a bit squirrely.
I reinstalled, verified cache, and have restarted Steam... it's still happening.

This is kind of heartbreaking. I did not just spend $25 on a game that won't even launch... :(

ElRenoRaven

I reinstalled, verified cache, and have restarted Steam... it's still happening.

This is kind of heartbreaking.

Hmm. Have you tried restarting your PC? Always worth a shot. If not then I'm stumped.

Edit

You have an Nvidia card by any chance? If so try this.

If your using an nvidia card, locate the file nvoglv32.dll and copy it into the game directory.

lostxii

Wow, what a great first episode. Was really hoping this game would be good, but it completed exceeded my expectations. Can't wait for episode two.

Hmm. Have you tried restarting your PC? Always worth a shot. If not then I'm stumped.

Edit

You have an Nvidia card by any chance? If so try this.

If your using an nvidia card, locate the file nvoglv32.dll and copy it into the game directory.
Yeah, I restarted and it's still doing the same thing.

I am using Nvidia, yeah, but when I search for nvoglv32.dll in the Windows Start screen, nothing pops up.

Well, I guess I can't play the damn game for now. I'm a bit annoyed, honestly, because I was looking forward to it. I've never had this issue before, but I suppose it's something to do with the game. I went to their forums and it seems I'm not the only one this has happened to: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=600923&postcount=10 That's what happened to me, though I never even got to see the game menu. After set-up, it gave me a black screen and just crashed immediately after.

Telltale, heeeeeelp.

Gomu Gomu

We were co-leads on Poker Night at the Inventory, Sean wrote and I directed episode 3 of Tales of Monkey Island, we were on the Puzzle Agent 1 and 2 story team together, and were co-leads on a game which got canceled before it was even in production. This is our first full series as co-leads though.

Congrats to you guys. I'm seeing A LOT of positive feedback for the 1st episode. Development team must be pretty damn motivated right now.

deduce

I'm glad I was able to get in on the Steam pre-order deal this morning. Felt kind of stupid when I died once during the game.
Walker behind the brick wall. Walked up with the screwdriver but didn't notice I had to move the cursor over the walker's head to perform the kill.

I wasn't expecting the in-game decision stats to show up at the end, but I enjoyed seeing how my choices compared to other players.
People really didn't choose to save little Duck?!?

PS3 trophies are here

The game has a platinum trophy, in contrast to the other Telltale PSN-released games.

Also, all the trophies are completion related. It looks like you get all the trophies by just finishing the chapters and nothing gameplay-related like in Sam & Max for example. Probably this is because they haven't even finished the latter episodes yet(?) but they could already make the trophy icons based on the near-final script.

If anyone else has issues like mine, this helped me:

I'm gonna try my best to explain. Assuming you have the Steam version of the game.

Use My Computer to get to the game directory. By default it should be
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\the walking dead

Then you will see an executable "WalkingDead101.exe"
1. Right click and go to "Properties"
2. Click on "Compatibility" tab
3. Put a tick a tick on "Run this on compatibility mode for"
4. Choose "Windows 98/ Windows Me"
5. Put a tick on "Run this program as an administrator" and click "Apply"
6. Try running the game :)

Thank you, Telltale forum poster.

Amagon

I was really digging the demo on the PS3. I actually said "wow" a couple times so I'm tempted to purchase this single episode right now than waiting for the season to be completed. Though, I still haven't touch the BttF games yet.

:/

Good thing I have an nvidia card.

Well the game still hitches at times on my GTX 680 (playing on maxed settings at 1920x1200 with triple buffering enabled in D3DOverrider). This only happens during certain cutscenes though but it's an issue I've seen throughout every Telltale game I've played unfortunately and on several cards (HD 5870 and GTX 580). My GTX 680 runs sub-50 C throughout this game, which I completed after 1 hour 45 minutes, so there's really no excuse for these technical 'hiccups'. Jurassic Park also had these too and I'm pretty sure they're engine issues and not caused by something specific to my machine.

Game is very good otherwise by the way, albeit a little too short and perhaps a bit too easy. Still, it was entertaining and at least managed to feel more interactive than Jurassic Park ever did (though, oddly, I still managed to enjoy that game).

AlexBasch

Oh fuck. Just played the demo with a friend on his PS3, definitely getting it on my PC. He's still a bit adamant about it, but goddamn I'm sold on this.

reektann

Can anyone recommend the better gameplay setting? Standard or Minimal. The dots everywhere on Standard might be a it annoying but then I think I'll be walking about lost with the minimal setting. Maybe I'll do standard on my first play.

derFeef

Can anyone recommend the better gameplay setting? Standard or Minimal. The dots everywhere on Standard might be a it annoying but then I think I'll be walking about lost with the minimal setting. Maybe I'll do standard on my first play.

I turned everything off after the first 10 minutes. You can do it individually in the settings.
It's much better without everything sticking out..

Bleh, I didn't pre-order this game anywhere cause my aging computer didn't meet the system requirements, but now I've heard that they're pretty overstated requirements. Missed out on the discount since I didn't want to be stuck with a version I couldn't play.

They're not doing a DVD for this game are they? I've always ordered my games from their website directly to get the end of season DVDs, but I've seen no talk of one this time around (and Telltalegames.com is totally down at the moment). It'd suck not to get developer commentary and all that extra stuff in those DVDs (though the BttF one was really lazy). So any official word one way or the other would help me decide what version to get.

Edit: well I saw the pre-order price was still going once I got their site to load so I bit on that. Too bad it seems the game isn't unlocked there and then looking at their forums... there's supposed to be some Steam keys delivered by email in the meantime. Hope I get one of those then...

dreamfall

I just want to say that I'm blown away. I played the demo, and then bought the season pass. I finally sat down for a good couple of hours (I'm a really slow gamer), and loved every minute of this first episode. The writing is fantastic. I'm no parent, but god damn if I didn't try to make sure Clementine was alright every step of the way. I'm going to venture into spoiler territory, but just because I can't get over how well paced it all is.

I love Lee- I'm deeply intrigued about his
murderous past and his family. Seeing his brother and having to kill him really made me question what humanity was left. And all that to save a man who tried his best to make sure we didn't make it out of the Drugstore! That motel decision was really difficult- I gave her the gun, and immediately felt like I had given up hope. And sure enough, Glenn said exactly that when speaking to him later. Saving Carley also made me question whether or not I needed her shooting/reporting skills over Doug's technical wizardry. And lying to everyone about deeply personal matters felt like survival.

It's very well written. And a perfect fit for anyone who loves The Walking Dead or just damn good adventure games in general. Bravo!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the Steam version has a 360 controller in the controls menu when a keyboard is the only input present?

Somewhere Jake Rodkin is crying.

We were co-leads on Poker Night at the Inventory, Sean wrote and I directed episode 3 of Tales of Monkey Island, we were on the Puzzle Agent 1 and 2 story team together, and were co-leads on a game which got canceled before it was even in production. This is our first full series as co-leads though.
Hey that was the episode I enjoyed. Walking Dead seems to be getting some good words in this thread too, maybe it is time for me to jump back into Telltale games again.

Top Bottom