• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead - Season 1 - A Telltale Games Series (Steam/PSN/XBLA/iOS/Mac)

It´s a really great story driven game. Hopefully the gameplay will evolve in some kind of way . I like the business model too and can´t wait to purchase the seconde episode :)

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
So this is hitting XBL today? Want to play through it with the wife, she's quite the fan of the Walking Dead TV show and I have a nerd boner for the comic... this should be great for both of us.

KevinCow

Banned
That was pretty good. Pacing was a little bit weird, and the animations were, well, the animations you'd expect to find in a $5 downloadable game. But other than that, pretty good. I like how it's more about the decision-making of the zombie apocalypse and less about the zombie killing like every other zombie game ever.

Will definitely keep up with this.

But what the fuck at these ending stats?

Lie to Hershel: You and 15% of players lied.

What the hell, I tried to tell the truth as best I could with the options available. It's just that none of the options told the whole truth.

Side with Kenny: You and 50% of players sided with Larry.

No, I sure as fuck did not side with Larry. I just tried to talk him down and defuse the situation instead of trying to immediately jumping into a confrontation. But when I had to make the choice at the end, I sided with Kenny.

I like this idea of comparing your decisions with other players, but it's kinda messed up when it misreads my decision.

Other than that, my biggest complaint is that a few parts felt like pretty typical point and click pixelhunts. Just wandering aimlessly until I finally stumble onto what I'm supposed to do. Some sort of "think to myself" button might be nice, just give me hints like, "I don't think I can do anything from over here," or, "Maybe I should check back inside," to point me in the right direction.

And a quick question:
In that first decision, can Duck die? I can't see how the story could even continue if that happened. You save Hershel's kid, Duck dies, Kenny's mad at you and doesn't give you a ride.

Also, as an Atlanta resident, I am now completely confused about where Hershel's farm is. In the show, they're heading north on 85 from Atlanta when they encounter it. But here, they're heading south on 75 towards Macon when they encounter it.

How is the control using keyobard & mouse?
It's fine. I personally prefer it over pad, which is what I started with originally. It just felt sluggish when having to hover towards points of interest, which is the main reason I switched to mouse and keyboard.

You know what sucks, though? Checking the "controls" option only shows the 360 controls. No PC controls to be seen, which is kind of dumb. It took me a little while to figure out why I couldn't proceed... I was a bit blind in noticing something having to do with the scroll wheel.

Also, I just finished it. Pretty good! I'm excited for the second episode, and replaying episode one tomorrow and making different choices.

Speaking of choices... what did everyone do the first time? Major spoilers, obviously. I
saved Duck and kind of regretted it. I sympathetically made Carley give the girl upstairs the gun. I then saved Carley because she had the gun, but I felt so bad about Doug :( Especially because he was adorable. Fuck :( And the graybeard asshole and his daughter can fuck off. Ugh. When we were escaping, he fucking punched me to leave me behind. I was so pissed.

Is the composer the same as the TV show? The music is really, really nice--and fitting. My favorite track was probably in
the back room that leads to the alley/pharmacy
It's beautiful.

I hope Telltale fixes the issues some people are having with the game not launching. I'm interested in
the data gathered at the end. I seriously doubt the choices were all 50% across the board. I still got Steam achievements (no pop-ups), so maybe the stats are broken. Did anyone else get 50% for every category?

I also have to agree with everyone's iffiness over the audio. It's not a dealbreaker, but it's a bit... yeah.

Hambone

Clementine is absolutely adorable.

chrishansen.jpg

With no Xbox date given, I caved and purchased the Steam version. Absolutely loved it, and the worst part will be waiting a month for the next episode.

Ran into some major stuttering during a scene in the beginning, and some audio popping throughout the game.

If you're a fan of the comics and\or the television show, I'm sure you would enjoy this.

newsguy

This game needs the Mass Effect interrupt option so that
lee can shoot that grouchy old asshole in the face.
That guy got a rise out of me. Really enjoyed episode 1, I thought they did a great job of making you care for the situations.

RPGCrazied

Actually, in one of the dialogue scenes, you can choose to
kick larry's ass in a fight, but I didn't choose that.

I really should have after beating episode 1.

RPS Wot I Think

John Walker said:
This is a big improvement for Telltale, and a game that I’d argue improves on its source material. If only Telltale would accept their ten year old engine needs scrapping and starting over, and would give the PC version the space it needs to have quality audio, then this could be another leap better. But buggy and creaking as it is, and certainly lacking in enough points of interaction, it remains a tale well told.

Zaph

I got that cunt his meds and he returns the favor by knocking me on my ass and nearly getting me killed?

Was there anyway to kill him?

Also, aside from the obvious Kaiden vs. Ashley choice at the end, I get the impression the choices in this game are pretty superficial - everything seems to return to a neutral state very quickly.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Also, as an Atlanta resident, I am now completely confused about where Hershel's farm is. In the show, they're heading north on 85 from Atlanta when they encounter it. But here, they're heading south on 75 towards Macon when they encounter it.

In the show, they "should" be heading south out of Atlanta, as they're intended destination was ft benning in Columbus.

I got that cunt his meds and he returns the favor by knocking me on my ass and nearly getting me killed?

Also, aside from the obvious Kaiden vs. Ashley choice at the end, I get the impression the choices in this game are pretty superficial - everything seems to return to a neutral state very quickly.

Never know. Might miss the
one bullet if you let the girl kill herself
in a future game

Tek

Looks like I was right about the game not coming out today. I've heard mixed things, like the game won't be released on Xbox until all the episodes are out...which would be August...

Just wish that either MS or TT Games would give us some info, its weird that they are not saying anything.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
overall, very, very impressed. This is what BTTF should have been!

I might type something more substantial later.

Did anyone find both batteries? What happens if you do?

Also:
hYcY9.jpg

KevinCow

Banned
In the show, they "should" be heading south out of Atlanta, as they're intended destination was ft benning in Columbus.

That would still be 85 south, pretty much in the opposite direction of Macon.

Never know. Might miss the
one bullet if you let the girl kill herself
in a future game

On the other hand,
maybe that chick comes back as a zombie and causes some chaos if you don't.

Did anyone find both batteries? What happens if you do?

You turn on the radio and hear the radio station the chick works at getting overrun.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
You turn on the radio and hear the radio station the chick works at getting overrun.

I really, really dig the optional stuff like that. In general, I thought the writing respected the player a lot. There wasn't much "SEE THIS IS WHY THIS IS EMOTIONAL FOR THIS CHARACTER! DO YOU SEE? PRETTY SAD, RIGHT?!". Emotion seemed to be mostly communicated through character expression (animation, camera and/or VA), which is still SUPER rare in video games, for some reason.

I can't wait to see where they go with this. I forgot what it's like to be excited for a monthly Telltale game. It's nice.

ATTENTION ANY TELLTALE DEVELOPER READING THIS
Previous praise aside, you MUST fix the horrible mouse hotspots. The range for them needs to be MUCH larger. There were too many moments in this episode where cinematic moments were drawn out weirdly because I couldn't figure out where to click to proceed, or puzzle-rooms where I wondered aimlessly because I didn't realise the object I hovered my mouse over had super-tiny hotspot in the top-right.

V_Ben

Banned
Apparently telltale's site is having issues *again*, so people who ordered the game there, like me, are out of luck until they send people steam keys for the game. Who knows how long that is going to take :/

derFeef

Lee is an awesome character and I love that you can practically choose how open or closed he is to other persons.
Now: To stick with my choices or replay it a few times? Hmm.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This also felt weird and out of place:

RPS said:
Talking of those batteries, the strangest moment in what’s otherwise a really decent story comes when a reporter for a local radio station can’t get a radio to work. It turns out it doesn’t have batteries in – fine, sure, everyone makes mistakes. But then when you offer to find some, she replies, “Thanks, I wouldn’t know what to look for.” So mystified is she by the concept of batteries that she then puts them in back-to-front

I get it, rechargeable battery age, but given her age and when this was set, the gun may have been jumped a little here.

The above is barely even a complaint, it just jumped out so hilariously strongly when framed by everything else in the game.

Zaph

If you're seeing 50/50 splits, check if your firewall is blocking access to Telltale's servers. If you're using Windows 7's default, you might see a popup like this if you alt-tab the first time you start the game.

Median

This also felt weird and out of place:

I get it, rechargeable battery age, but given her age and when this was set, the gun may have been jumped a little here.

The above is barely even a complaint, it just jumped out so hilariously strongly when framed by everything else in the game.

Yeah, that felt really weird. The solution is 100% telegraphed too if you open up the battery compartment before getting the batteries, so the puzzle itself felt really superfluous to me.

Previous praise aside, you MUST fix the horrible mouse hotspots. The range for them needs to be MUCH larger. There were too many moments in this episode where cinematic moments were drawn out weirdly because I couldn't figure out where to click to proceed, or puzzle-rooms where I wondered aimlessly because I didn't realise the object I hovered my mouse over had super-tiny hotspot in the top-right.

I would be happy if the damn thing was just logical, too many times you are searching to the left/right/over/under of something/someone you know you have to interact with just to find the damn spot.

Minsc

Gold Member

How can they still not have a button which highlights all interactive objects, like almost every other adventure game made now?

ElRenoRaven

If anyone else has issues like mine, this helped me:

Glad to see you got it fixed.

Thank you, Telltale forum poster.

Bleh, I didn't pre-order this game anywhere cause my aging computer didn't meet the system requirements, but now I've heard that they're pretty overstated requirements. Missed out on the discount since I didn't want to be stuck with a version I couldn't play.

They're not doing a DVD for this game are they? I've always ordered my games from their website directly to get the end of season DVDs, but I've seen no talk of one this time around (and Telltalegames.com is totally down at the moment). It'd suck not to get developer commentary and all that extra stuff in those DVDs (though the BttF one was really lazy). So any official word one way or the other would help me decide what version to get.

Edit: well I saw the pre-order price was still going once I got their site to load so I bit on that. Too bad it seems the game isn't unlocked there and then looking at their forums... there's supposed to be some Steam keys delivered by email in the meantime. Hope I get one of those then...

Yea Telltale in the past has had end of season DVDs that have making of stuff and the game. I heard they didn't with Jurrasic Park which kind of sucks. I really hope they do for TWD.

It's fine. I personally prefer it over pad, which is what I started with originally. It just felt sluggish when having to hover towards points of interest, which is the main reason I switched to mouse and keyboard.

You know what sucks, though? Checking the "controls" option only shows the 360 controls. No PC controls to be seen, which is kind of dumb. It took me a little while to figure out why I couldn't proceed... I was a bit blind in noticing something having to do with the scroll wheel.

Also, I just finished it. Pretty good! I'm excited for the second episode, and replaying episode one tomorrow and making different choices.

Speaking of choices... what did everyone do the first time? Major spoilers, obviously. I
saved Duck and kind of regretted it. I sympathetically made Carley give the girl upstairs the gun. I then saved Carley because she had the gun, but I felt so bad about Doug :( Especially because he was adorable. Fuck :( And the graybeard asshole and his daughter can fuck off. Ugh. When we were escaping, he fucking punched me to leave me behind. I was so pissed.

Is the composer the same as the TV show? The music is really, really nice--and fitting. My favorite track was probably in
the back room that leads to the alley/pharmacy
It's beautiful.

I hope Telltale fixes the issues some people are having with the game not launching. I'm interested in
the data gathered at the end. I seriously doubt the choices were all 50% across the board. I still got Steam achievements (no pop-ups), so maybe the stats are broken. Did anyone else get 50% for every category?

I also have to agree with everyone's iffiness over the audio. It's not a dealbreaker, but it's a bit... yeah.

I personally
so choose to save Shawn but of course you can't anyway. I then sided with Hershel against Ducks dad. Then I had Carley give the girl the gun sympathetically. I was nice enough to pretty much share the bars around for everyone to eat too. Overall I was pretty much as honest as I could be with them all too.

Not yet. I can't wait to though. He deserves it. And remember the choices carry over to later episodes. Also they did matter. The ending preview reveals that your choices do affect future episodes like they said.

Also for if it doesn't show up on the 360 today it wouldn't surprise me. Remember Telltale is kind of at the mercy of Microsoft here and they've not exactly done a great job of getting companies releases out on XBLA in a timely manner before. So it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't show up today or hell within the next month knowing MS. Just remember though. Telltale said that they'd let people know when it was and it was never annouced to be coming tomorrow by anyone other then Xbox.coms release list.

derFeef

Replaying until you're happy with all your choices is the coward's way out.
I would not play "until I am happy" - I am not pleased with some stuff I did but I am sticking to it for sure. I am missing out on the dialogue and scenes the other routes provide, that's what bothers me :)

Dyno

I didn't like it.

I can see why people would enjoy it but there is so little interactivity that I don't think it's necessary. At that point I would rather simply watch some live action or some high end CGI. This game sacrifices good looks for playable parts, but there is so little play that it's not worth it.

My friend on the other hand enjoyed it.

Frankfurt

Banned
I didn't like it.

I can see why people would enjoy it but there is so little interactivity that I don't think it's necessary. At that point I would rather simply watch some live action or some high end CGI. This game sacrifices good looks for playable parts, but there is so little play that it's not worth it.

Ouch. So its like Asura's Wrath then?

SparkTR

I didn't like it.

Yeah, you're going to get a lot more out of this game if you're into the fiction of TWD. Same goes with Jurassic Park and BttF, these games are fan service at their finest (well, maybe not Jurassic Park).

Mengetsu

Someone on the Telltale Games Forum posted talking to MS support.

I just got finished chatting with Xbox Customer Support and this is what they had to say:

MS: Hello, thank you for contacting Xbox Customer Support. My name is Fergus. How can I help you today?
Customer: I seem to be having trouble with The Walking Dead. It doesn't give me the option to download the game. The xbox website has it listed as releasing today, but I only get the option to rate or watch a video preview.
MS: The chances are it is not released just yet, if you check back through out the day you should see the download listing become available at some point.
Customer: Ok. Thank you. I tried looking for any information I could find, but couldn't find any help on this matter.
Customer: I thought maybe it was a problem on my end.
MS: I had a look myself there, probably just a delay with the developer of the game, but I wouldn't worry too much, it should be up today, before the night out is out for sure!
Customer: Thank you very much. I've been looking forward to this and was disappointed to not see it when I woke up this morning.
MS: I can understand your plight, if it's not there by the end of the day come back and see if we have any more updates for you!

Lets hope so.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
That would still be 85 south, pretty much in the opposite direction of Macon.

On the other hand,
maybe that chick comes back as a zombie and causes some chaos if you don't.

I'd have to go back and watch, but you never know, TWD TV survivor's might have chosen to avoid the major interstate heading south, by using State Highway 85 (through Fayetteville towards Senoia), which is between I-85 and I-75. The show filmed around Senoia, and the actual farm they used is east of there.

About Lee in relation to this:
I believe they would be using I-75 if they're going towards Macon, but I'm not sure the Prison he'd go to, would be that direction. I have a feeling it would be the prison from the Comic Books. Not sure where that's at, but it's close to "Woodbury", which might be a fictional creation, but there is a Woodbury GA, very near Warm Springs/Manchester.

So, if that's the case, Lee was on his way SW from Atlanta when the crash happened. Came across Herschel's kid, and they drove for an unknown amount of time to the farm (day to night transition). Afterwards, left to go to Macon.

I didn't like it.

So there's really no gameplay at all, I dont know then, I would like to play a game not watch a game, even for $5.

Top Bottom