• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walt Disney community thread: the Man, the Mouse, and their legacy.

Went to the Walt Disney Family Museum yesterday.

It was fun. The museum is pretty interest; it has a lot of original pieces and information about Walt and the work that went into many of the early Disney films. If you find yourself in the SF Bay Area, it is worth a visit.

Wow, that World Fair look for the museum is fantastic! Would love to go there and see it as a fan of the man himself.

I'm at Disneyland and I hate it, this hotel sucks (grand Californian) and everything is ass.

Come at me.

Well, I went there and had the best time of my life (not that hotel though).

Seigyoku

So let's see where I am with Disney.

Since my trip to (mostly) DCA in January, with the amazing JCG:

I saw Treasure Planet for the first time last weekend. Rather enjoyed it, sad it flopped so badly. Thought they did a great job with Silver. Down to five movies in the canon now (Dinosaur, Brother Bear, Chicken Little, Meet the Robinsons, Bolt.) We still haven't found our copy of Dinosaur.

I have already warned my brother that we're going to see Cinderella in March. I'm sure it will be filled with little ones wanting to see the Frozen short. I will be there for Cate Blanchett and THE CAT, Helena Bonahm Carter (who I always love) and KING OF THE NORTH. We will have to fight to keep from yelling that in the theater.

Quite happy I will NOT be out of the country for AoU. Was in Italy when Avengers came out and was livid, especially since it had already been out in Europe for a week. Expect I will be going to see Tomorrowland as Brad Bird is awesome. Inside Out looks amusing, and I am flipping out about Ant-man. OTOH, I have loved Paul Rudd since Clueless. I am excited to see what the MCU does with Pym and Lang. But. I. Am. Deathly. Afraid. Of. Bugs. /panic

On the TV front, loving Agent Carter, tolerating the Marvel animated shows, though they all are less annoying this season, still feeling out Rebels. I've liked the Rebels tie-ins better than the show, though the last episode I saw had a nice "aaaand shit got real" feel to it. As always DisneyXD scheduling is terrible.

Themepark-wise, so I went to WDW in February. We had booked Pop Century, because I had never stayed on site and we wanted cheap. My plane is full of teenage girls. BF remarks at this when I join him. As we go get our rental car we see MORE groups of teenage girls. I finally say "oh cheerleaders." "How do you know?" "Because that group is wearing matching black sweatshirts that say CHEER in large pink letters." Now at this point I know cheer groups often are booked at All-Star Sports, but I'm blanking on where else they put them.

So we drive off to Disney and Pop Century, while I use the MDE app to find us some dinner (Boatwright's Dining Hall, as it still had openings and the menu looked ok.) We get to the front desk at Pop and the CM pauses as she has to read some notes with our reservation. I'm thinking this has to do with the gift I ordered from Floral for BF (mostly chocolates and wine), because I had been called that morning due to a name hiccup and as they kept reminding me, it had real alcohol, so someone over 21 had to sign for it. The CM finally looks up. "So we're REALLY overbooked tonight..." (Lobby is FILLED WITH CHEER GROUPS) "And we would like to offer..." (Me: ooo I wonder if we'll go to AoA, or maybe we'll get upgraded to a moderate. That would be cool) "to move you to the Grand Floridian-"

Me "YES!" BF - "I guess she says yes?" CM "Thank you! Last family I offered that to, the dad was like 'I need to think about it' and the kids said 'we wanna stay here' The mom said they were taking it."

And so we got three days at the Grand Floridian (ON THE MONORAIL) for the prince of Pop Century. I think my boyfriend is now horribly spoiled and I keep having to explain to him that in May we will be at All-Star Sports and please don't get your hopes us!

So we drive off to Disney and Pop Century, while I use the MDE app to find us some dinner (Boatwright's Dining Hall, as it still had openings and the menu looked ok.) We get to the front desk at Pop and the CM pauses as she has to read some notes with our reservation. I'm thinking this has to do with the gift I ordered from Floral for BF (mostly chocolates and wine), because I had been called that morning due to a name hiccup and as they kept reminding me, it had real alcohol, so someone over 21 had to sign for it. The CM finally looks up. "So we're REALLY overbooked tonight..." (Lobby is FILLED WITH CHEER GROUPS) "And we would like to offer..." (Me: ooo I wonder if we'll go to AoA, or maybe we'll get upgraded to a moderate. That would be cool) "to move you to the Grand Floridian-"

Me "YES!" BF - "I guess she says yes?" CM "Thank you! Last family I offered that to, the dad was like 'I need to think about it' and the kids said 'we wanna stay here' The mom said they were taking it."

And so we got three days at the Grand Floridian (ON THE MONORAIL) for the prince of Pop Century. I think my boyfriend is now horribly spoiled and I keep having to explain to him that in May we will be at All-Star Sports and please don't get your hopes us!

That's amazing. Did you get a room in the main building? Also, did you have other plans in Orlando that warranted having a car? We once got upgraded from a regular room at Paradise Pier at Disneyland to a 1 bedroom suite complete with club level service and an amazing view of DCA. Pop Century is probably the best choice as far as values go, though. We're staying at the Wilderness Lodge this June for 8 nights.

This is a neat concept.

I'm thinking it might be worth it to make a Disney Princess OT. Just for the Princesses.

Well they'd certainly have the roster for it. Imagine if they did a Disney vs. Square Enix akin to a Marvel vs. Capcom. It could tie in to Kingdom Hearts.

A princesses OT wouldn't be a bad idea. They are a huge sub-genre of Disney.

Also, I made a thread about the state of 2D animation a little bit ago but no ones responded to it yet :( perhaps I should've just posted my thoughts here first.

Malyse

Well they'd certainly have the roster for it. Imagine if they did a Disney vs. Square Enix akin to a Marvel vs. Capcom. It could tie in to Kingdom Hearts.

A princesses OT wouldn't be a bad idea. They are a huge sub-genre of Disney.

Also, I made a thread about the state of 2D animation a little bit ago but no ones responded to it yet :( perhaps I should've just posted my thoughts here first.
That's too much IP. Disney is enough by itself, with Pixar, star wars, Indiana Jones, and Marvel. Plus the live action like PotC, John Carter, Lone Ranger, and the offshoots like KH, Kilala, and Spectrobes.

I'm making the princess OT next week.

Are there any good books on the life of Walt Disney?

Yep, althought some cover it as his intire biography, while other focuse more on his professional begginings and t¡when he create disney.
"The Art of Walt Disney" would be one of those, but when you arrive on half the book, they explain what happened to the company when he died, and then continue without him. Im sure there are books that only cover his biography out there.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Yep, althought some cover it as his intire biography, while other focuse more on his professional begginings and t¡when he create disney.
"The Art of Walt Disney" would be one of those, but when you arrive on half the book, they explain what happened to the company when he died, and then continue without him. Im sure there are books that only cover his biography out there.

Do you know which of the biographies are any good?

TEJ

I have been listening a lot to "a whole new world". Gawd i love this song.

Urf why does aladdin on blu ray gotta be so far away... And i hear it will be a diamond edition as well...

Do you know which of the biographies are any good?

I suppose it depends what you are looking from. Sadly I havent read many biographies of him, apart from the bok I said (the art of Walt Disney), mainly watching documentaries.
I feel the best ones are the one that strive for the middle between talking about how shit he was sometimes, and how genius he was at the same time.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Poly DVC opened up for booking for non-Poly owners today. Wife and I managed to get in for our short day trip coming up!

Hzk1vdV.jpg

Christopher

Here is a buch of them, they are pretty interesting if you have some free time or want to have them as background while working. Majority of them are old as hell.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=walt+disney+documentary

Maybe there are some quality ones on Netflix and similar things like that, but I dont have etflix in my country, so I cant tell you those.

Poly DVC opened up for booking for non-Poly owners today. Wife and I managed to get in for our short day trip coming up!

Hzk1vdV.jpg

Too expensive for me I'm never in the resort so why do I bother with an expensive resort?

Cheerilee

I finally watched "Tinkerbell: Legend of the Neverbeast" and am pleased to say that Disneytoon Studios (the former home of lousy direct-to-video sequels) is leaving it's Tinkerbell Era (and perhaps closing it's doors forever) on a high note. It was a good ride, while it lasted.

My only complaint with "Neverbeast" is that they didn't bring back America Ferrera (Astrid from How to Train Your Dragon) for the lead role, if they were really unsatisfied with Angela Bartys. They apparently wanted star power, so they gave the part to Ginnifer Goodwin (Snow White from Once Upon a Time). Ginnifer didn't do a bad job, but I don't like things that are different.

Also, since Fawn got a movie, and Rosetta had a short that was almost a movie, now I know that I'm missing Silvermist's dedicated movie, and Iridessa's, and even Vidia's. Those could have been great.

I didn't see a thread for it, so I'll post this here. I got to see an advanced screen of Cinderella. It has the Frozen Fever short before it, which was pretty good. A lot of references to the film jammed into it, but some some good new humor. New song is forgettable, but I felt the same way about the film when I first saw it.

Cinderella was a solid movie. Fairly straightforward adaptation although not gruesome like the Grimm version at all.They fleshed out the Stepmother a little more to good effect. There is really only one action sequence in the film
When everything transforms back at midnight they play up the excitement and danger of her still in the Carriage
but I thought they were setting up a another with a
sword-fight at the end. The Prince is shown practicing early in the film and they set up one of his archdukes(?) as an antagonist so it felt like a physical confrontation was inevitable

It was a great looking film, from cinematography to costumes to FX. Although I wonder how one instance of CG will be received:
Helen Bonham Carter's old age "makeup". I thought it was pretty good in that it looked very physical but like a not quite well executed makeup. Maybe it was a makeup they slapped some CG on. I'd be interested to know the process.

Anyway, I recommend it. You get a solid time at the theater and thankfully they don't really stray far from the story so there really wasn't much room to screw it up.

I didn't see a thread for it, so I'll post this here. I got to see an advanced screen of Cinderella. It has the Frozen Fever short before it, which was pretty good. A lot of references to the film jammed into it, but some some good new humor. New song is forgettable, but I felt the same way about the film when I first saw it.

Cinderella was a solid movie. Fairly straightforward adaptation although not gruesome like the Grimm version at all.They fleshed out the Stepmother a little more to good effect. There is really only one action sequence in the film
When everything transforms back at midnight they play up the excitement and danger of her still in the Carriage
but I thought they were setting up a another with a
sword-fight at the end. The Prince is shown practicing early in the film and they set up one of his archdukes(?) as an antagonist so it felt like a physical confrontation was inevitable

It was a great looking film, from cinematography to costumes to FX. Although I wonder how one instance of CG will be received:
Helen Bonham Carter's old age "makeup". I thought it was pretty good in that it looked very physical but like a not quite well executed makeup. Maybe it was a makeup they slapped some CG on. I'd be interested to know the process.

Anyway, I recommend it. You get a solid time at the theater and thankfully they don't really stray far from the story so there really wasn't much room to screw it up.

Better than malificent? That movie was seriously bad.

Never saw Malificent so I can't compare it. But this is a Cinderella movie. It is not about the Stepmother, although they do flesh that character out a bit, so it's not a revision the way Malificent is.

TEJ

I don't really like the idea of disney live action remakes of their animated films. I fear the day when disney does a live action/cgi remake of the lion king. Now it's just inevitable.

Frozen 2 was officially announced, and hollywood studios is getting a name change. Three and a half months until my disneyworld trip, i am excited for that.

Cheerilee

I saw and enjoyed some of Kenneth Branagh's loving adaptations of Shakespeare, so I'm quite confident that he can lovingly adapt Cinderella.

Maleficent completely missed the point. It ruined pretty much everything about Sleeping Beauty in a misguided attempt to turn an iconic villain into a hero. Unless that was the point. It's "Sleeping Beauty" for people who REALLY don't want "Sleeping Beauty".

Maleficent ascribes to the theory that Sleeping Beauty is unacceptable in this day and age. Kenneth Branagh's Cinderella (apparently) ascribes to the theory that Cinderella is timeless.

I saw and enjoyed some of Kenneth Branagh's loving adaptations of Shakespeare, so I'm quite confident that he can lovingly adapt Cinderella.

Maleficent completely missed the point. It ruined pretty much everything about Sleeping Beauty in a misguided attempt to turn an iconic villain into a hero. Unless that was the point. It's "Sleeping Beauty" for people who REALLY don't want "Sleeping Beauty".

Maleficent ascribes to the theory that Sleeping Beauty is unacceptable in this day and age. Kenneth Branagh's Cinderella (apparently) ascribes to the theory that Cinderella is timeless.

Oh, thank god for Kenneth Branagh! If only he was also in charged for Malificent.
The most horrible thing is that most of the female viewers loved the shitty Malificent now and talk ill about the original animated film and how boring it was (ive heard some opinions that leave little faith to the humanity). Fucking Disney.

I don't really like the idea of disney live action remakes of their animated films. I fear the day when disney does a live action/cgi remake of the lion king. Now it's just inevitable.

Frozen 2 was officially announced, and hollywood studios is getting a name change. Three and a half months until my disneyworld trip, i am excited for that.

Yeah none of their live action adaptations have really clicked with me either. Alice in Wonderland and Maleficent were awful IMO.

And I'm not big on sequels being a part of the official animated feature lineup. My one exception is The Rescuers Down Under though, that movie is awesome!

And what are they changing the name of hollywood studios to?

Excited to see big changes coming to Hollywood Studios, which is definitely the most underwhelming of the US parks.

Bet we'll see more Pixar, Star Wars and maybe even Marvel stuff incorporated into the park in the near future.

daydream

Banned
And I'm not big on sequels being a part of the official animated feature lineup. My one exception is The Rescuers Down Under though, that movie is awesome!

you're good people

they'd never make something like rescuers down under today (or fox and the hound, for that matter), not flashy enough

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Did anyone get a chance to check out Turner Classic's Treasures From The Vault they aired last month? I'm real annoyed that I missed it. Didn't even know it was a thing until now. Seems like it has irregular showings.

TEJ

There are rumors of a disney animated adaptation of banjo kazooie.

It's a strange choice, but i'm not complaining if true.

Seigyoku

Cinderella was more fun than I thought it would be. Frozen Fever was funnier than I figured, but the song was totally forgettable.

Special trip staying at AKL in a little over a week. Then come back to Avengers/SWW/60th Anniversary of DL news/Alaska on the Wonder/Inside Out/Ant Man OH MY!

Did anyone get a chance to check out Turner Classic's Treasures From The Vault they aired last month? I'm real annoyed that I missed it. Didn't even know it was a thing until now. Seems like it has irregular showings.

Yeah they had the three caballeros and this leprechaun movie with Sean Connery that I dont remember the title of. It's a pretty cool block they're doing. You can get email updates from them saying when the next one is iirc.

Somnia

My October 10th-18th trip is fully paid for! Taking my Mom for her birthday, super excited as its been 4 years. We use to go yearly but haven't had the time recently.

Get to book my restaurants on Sunday too, have to be up so early ugh.

I'M DOUBLE POSTING. I DOOOOON'T EVEN CURREEEEAAWEEAGA

The girlfriend and I are thinking about going to Disneyland for the for the 60th anniversary in May. The park is open from Friday at 6am until Saturday at 6am. Anyone ever done a day at Disney like this one? I imagine it'll be more crowded than usual, but the extended hours make up for it.

I'M DOUBLE POSTING. I DOOOOON'T EVEN CURREEEEAAWEEAGA

The girlfriend and I are thinking about going to Disneyland for the for the 60th anniversary in May. The park is open from Friday at 6am until Saturday at 6am. Anyone ever done a day at Disney like this one? I imagine it'll be more crowded than usual, but the extended hours make up for it.
I went to the first 24-hour day they ever did which was on Leap Day. It was part of their "One more Disney day" campaign they were doing for that year. They were offering special ears for the first 200 guests and me and brother tried to get a pair. Despite arriving at 4am, we were not among the first 200 and it wasn't until about 6:20am that we were able to get inside the park. The day remained relatively quiet up until around 6pm when the locals showed up. The park wasn't all that crowded once inside. Mind you that this was on a Wednesday in February in 2012, before the opening of the new DCA.

Disneyland reached capacity that day around 9pm and cell towers were jammed. I don't recommend splitting up because it took me several tries to even send a text. We decided to leave around 10 pm and just relax in our room at Disneyland Hotel. We felt we couldn't get back in even at 5am so we didn't try. The espalande was jam packed full of people when we left.

Each year afterwards the 24 hour day has been held on Memorial day weekend which spelled trouble for me but I hadn't heard of any negative experiences other than my own. DCA is now part of the event so at least there's that. It was a unique event definitely but I was hoping for a more "intimate" after hours experience, similar to being at Magic Kingdom until 3am when they have extra hours in the summer.

At the very least, you'll get a normal day at Disney until later in the evening.

Somnia

Had to get up at 5AM yesterday as it was my 180+10 dining reservation day, got ALL of my reservations. I was shocked I got Be Our Guest, they only had one 6:20 time left so I grabbed it. Then Via Napoli only had a 7:10 left. Otherwise the rest of my restaurants (San Angel Inn, Le Cellier, Boma, Coral Reef and Hollywood & Vine) were just fine for booking.

So hyped, even have a countdown widget on my phone lol

Christopher

We're going next month ...

Then a DISNEY cruise then Disney land and a trip aulani ... I agreed that would be it for awhile lol. A long while lol

TEJ

Less than two months until my dw trip.

Resort and plane tickets are paid for, saved up a fair bit of money for dining and merch. Made dining reservations, been walking a lot to build up stamina, etc.

I am curious, what are magic bands and are the necessary?

Also who is looking forward to inside out? I hope it brings back the pixar magic that has been missing for a while.

Somnia

Less than two months until my dw trip.

Resort and plane tickets are paid for, saved up a fair bit of money for dining and merch. Made dining reservations, been walking a lot to build up stamina, etc.

I am curious, what are magic bands and are the necessary?

Also who is looking forward to inside out? I hope it brings back the pixar magic that has been missing for a while.

Magic Bands are your park ticket, hotel room key and fast pass. You can also have a credit card attached to it and pay with it. If you are staying on site you should get them with your trip.

TEJ

Magic Bands are your park ticket, hotel room key and fast pass. You can also have a credit card attached to it and pay with it. If you are staying on site you should get them with your trip.

Ah, i'm staying at shades of green which isn't an official disney park resort.

Tomorrowland, who else is seeing it?

I might wait until it is out on blu ray.

Going to be in Disneyland for the diamond anniversary event. Going to try and see it in downtown Disney the day after the event.

Looks good. Not sure what to expect honestly.

muteki

So the Hilton Head resort is pretty awesome. Area is really nice as far as atlantic beaches go and the resort is still very much "Disney" even so far away in SC.

Tomorrowland, who else is seeing it?

I might wait until it is out on blu ray.

Me.
Brad Bird is one of my favourite directors, Giachinno one of my favourite composers, its about the disneyland area and some of it was shoot in my hometown.
It would be a sacrilege for me not going to see it at the cinema lol

Top Bottom