• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walt Disney community thread: the Man, the Mouse, and their legacy.

TEJ

Me.
Brad Bird is one of my favourite directors, Giachinno one of my favourite composers, its about the disneyland area and some of it was shoot in my hometown.
It would be a sacrilege for me not going to see it at the cinema lol

I want to see it in theaters but imma cut down on spending drastically from now on until dw, especially after just buying an xbox one and a few games.

I want to see it in theaters but imma cut down on spending drastically from now on until dw, especially after just buying an xbox one and a few games.

Doesnt america have a cheaper day a week for cinemas.
Like for example in Spain wednesdays going to watch a movie costs 4 euros instead of 8 or 10 (depending the theater).

Doesnt america have a cheaper day a week for cinemas.
Like for example in Spain wednesdays going to watch a movie costs 4 euros instead of 8 or 10 (depending the theater).
Depends on the region and theater chain. Where I live we have $5 Tuesdays, which includes IMAX and the like.

I'll be in WDW when Tomorrowland comes out so I'm gonna catch it in Downtown Disney at the AMC fork & screen.

Wubby

We're getting some new editions at Tokyo Disneyland and Sea in the next few years...

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201504/4526/

The Frozen stuff will be popular I'm sure. I'd rather they use that space for a new E-ticket type ride...

Tokyo Disneyland and Sea at 6,900yen/day ticket are also the cheapest Disney parks in the world now. Also probably the most crowded... just feels that way to me every time I go at least.

We're getting some new editions at Tokyo Disneyland and Sea in the next few years...

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201504/4526/

The Frozen stuff will be popular I'm sure. I'd rather they use that space for a new E-ticket type ride...

Tokyo Disneyland and Sea at 6,900yen/day ticket are also the cheapest Disney parks in the world now. Also probably the most crowded... just feels that way to me every time I go at least.

Ive seen photos of people waiting more than half day of park time to enter a ride at Tokyo Disney Sea (IIRC it was for Midway Mania). Its fucking bonkers.
I went to Disneyland from a far place and it was when the new Star Tours opened, the queues were 3 hours long (not 6 like TDS) and I still decided to leave the ride as the last thing I did so I didnt loose any park time.

Depends on the region and theater chain. Where I live we have $5 Tuesdays, which includes IMAX and the like.

I'll be in WDW when Tomorrowland comes out so I'm gonna catch it in Downtown Disney at the AMC fork & screen.

Thats a pretty cheap option then. And even including imax! (we have an imax theater in my city, but is only use to show documentaries).

Wubby

Ive seen photos of people waiting more than half day of park time to enter a ride at Tokyo Disney Sea (IIRC it was for Midway Mania). Its fucking bonkers.
I went to Disneyland from a far place and it was when the new Star Tours opened, the queues were 3 hours long (not 6 like TDS) and I still decided to leave the ride as the last thing I did so I didnt loose any park time.

Hah, now that you mention it... I've been to the park twice since Midway Mania opened and I still haven't ridden it. The wait is always bonkers and I never cared to wait that long for it. That ride is also excluded from the Fast Pass tickets we get for staying at an affiliated hotel.

I've seen three hour waits for regular rides like Space and Pooh. Oddly unlike my last visit to California DL the line for Star Tours at TDL is never that long.

Hah, now that you mention it... I've been to the park twice since Midway Mania opened and I still haven't ridden it. The wait is always bonkers and I never cared to wait that long for it. That ride is also excluded from the Fast Pass tickets we get for staying at an affiliated hotel.

I've seen three hour waits for regular rides like Space and Pooh. Oddly unlike my last visit to California DL the line for Star Tours at TDL is never that long.

Has star tours in TDL changed, or is still the old one.
If they havent changed it recently, Paris still has the old one (IIRC they are waiting to build a whole Star Wars land behind Discoveryland).

My first time making custom covers. All WIPs.

hYTJrM0.png

Mfo0Fs5.png

v6akFs0.png

wtj6Sb9.png

vjyzyrF.png

F3daAGQ.png

I included the Marvel ones because why not? :)

My friend has that Captain America Winter Soldier poster up in her room and I just can't see Captain America running in the front. It still looks like Hawkeye with Cap's shield.

Yesterday I saw The Avengers 2. Fantastic and fun movie. Makes me sad at the same time the way DC is treating its superheroes.

My friend has that Captain America Winter Soldier poster up in her room and I just can't see Captain America running in the front. It still looks like Hawkeye with Cap's shield.

Cant stopp seeing that now lol

Leaving for the Disneyland 60th Anniversary opening in a few hours. Not going to try and be at the park all 24 hours, but we're going to try make it through the entire night (6pm-6am).

Pretty excited, though I know the place is going to be packed. Really excited to see the new parade and world of color additions.

Went to the 60th anniversary 24 hour kick off this weekend at Disneyland and here are just a few insights from my trip.

Here's a picture before they cleared out everyone and told them no one was getting into Disneyland
7862972_G.jpg

-Don't go on any anniversary. Disneyland Park hit capacity at 1pm during the day, and it didn't open back up until 3am. This resulted in many unhappy and impatient people at the park, and it by far was one of the unhappiest vibes I've ever experience at Disneyland. We didn't even get into Disneyland on Friday, we were stuck in a packed DCA all day.

-Disney's cast members are great, even in a nightmare situation. Despite being yelled at by other visitors, everyone we spoke to this weekend was extremely nice and helpful. When we told them they had displeased because we had a park hopper and wouldn't be able to visit Disneyland that day (this was a 2am) they gave us a new ticket for the following day. Pretty cool; we basically got 1 day for free.

-Disney's event management needs to get it together. They should have sold special tickets for the day. They were still selling tickets up 5pm during the day, which was ridiculous as no one could get into the park after 2. Annual Passholders were arriving as late as 9pm trying to get into the park. Apparently the security check points were 3 hours long at certain points in the night and were just not moving at all.

-Disney's twitter needs to get it together. They were reporting the closure of disneyland just fine, but they kept blaming the long security lines on guests. Likewise, they kept telling people that they could enter DCA as late as 2am. It just wasn't the case; no one was getting through security.

-If you're going into DCA, always go through the grand Californian. By some fluke, we bypassed the entire 3 hour security line by returning into DCA through the grand californian hotel. Only took us a minute.

-Disney is Killing Vinylmations. Apparently they've stop trading vinylmations in both Disneyland and Disneyworld. We have no reason to collect them anymore, trading was our favorite aspect of it all. They've also scaled back where you can buy them, so it's unlikely we'll continue getting them (with the exception of park starz)

Despite all the crowds and craziness, we had a really fun time. We didn't want to wait out 5 hours for the parade or new shows, so we just did all the unpopular stuff that other people didn't want (Mr.Lincoln, Magical Brush, It's tough to be bug, water rides, etc). We also had some of the best meals going around to the different hotels- everyone in the park meant no one in the hotels. We even saw Tom Lennon and Dick Van Dyke walking around the hotel!

So, we didn't see the new shows, ride additions, or anything new...and it was by far the busiest Disneyland/DCA can ever get, but we had a great time all the same.

I think we're cool on Disneyland for awhile.. though we are planning a Disneyworld trip in the near future (hopefully around christmas time)

Went to the 60th anniversary 24 hour kick off this weekend at Disneyland and here are just a few insights from my trip.

I don't solely blame it on the anniversary. These 24 hour events are super popular no matter the occasion. I mentioned earlier that their 2012 24 hour event was held on a Wednesday in February and it reached capacity by 5 or 6 PM. With each subsequent year the event was held on the Friday of Memorial Day weekend. A recipe for disaster. Add the 60th anniversary in and you get chaos. They know things get bad. I think they try to get people out for the event and hope that they stay for the extended weekend.

NoRéN

Yeah, those all nighters are terrible. Gates closed by 8am to cycle the crowds. People were turned away early on Thursday because they were already camping out to get in for Friday. Packed like sardines all day.

It's the hardcore Disney fans that turn up. If that sounds appealing to you, then by all means.

I'm at the Wilderness Lodge now! Where are you staying?

We haven't booked the hotels/tickets yet, but we're mostly considering Coronado Springs or Port Orleans. Haven't stayed in either, but they're at our price point and look nice. Our friend is going to give us his employee discount, so we might be able to bump up to something like the Caribbean Beach resort.

Any recommendations? I've only ever stayed at Pop Century.

We haven't booked the hotels/tickets yet, but we're mostly considering Coronado Springs or Port Orleans. Haven't stayed in either, but they're at our price point and look nice. Our friend is going to give us his employee discount, so we might be able to bump up to something like the Caribbean Beach resort.

i haven't stayed at either of them but I've visited both over the years. They're both really nice, but coronado springs might be a bit newer IIRC.

When I go with my family we usually stay at the boardwalk. there and the beach club resort are my two favorites.

Rival

Gold Member
Just booked flights for October for world and December for land. Will be our first trip to land. Can't wait!

Rival

Gold Member

I stayed at Coronado twice and port Orleans once. Both are great but the bus service for Coronado is a bit better. Staying at Coronado a third time in October.

I've never stayed at a moderate but I would like to stay at French Quarter for the convenience in size and layout. Riverside seems real nice too. POP is probably the best Value though.

Gay Days was truly amazing once again at the Magic Kingdom. Amazing friends, amazing park, amazing food.

Pot Roast covered Mac N Cheese was life changing.

Going to Disneyland Jailer debrief me what are my must dos!

Star Tours
Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye
Jungle Cruise
Pirates of the Caribbean
Haunted Mansion
Space Mountain
Splash Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain
Matterhorn Mountain
The Disneyland Railroad (full circle)

and if theres time:
Enchanted Tiki Room
The Fantasyland Dark Rides (Alice in Wonderland, Pinnochio, Snow White, Peter Pan (closed until July 1), and Mr.Toad's Wild Ride)
Storybook Land Canal Boats
Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin
Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
Mark Twain River Boat

Never ever and thanks gambit

Here are all the DLR exclusive Must Dos:

Indiana Jones
Matterhorn
Fantasyland
Radiator Springs Racers
World of Color
Screamin'
Grizzly River Run
Aladdin (live musical)

In Fantasyland you have Pinocchio, Snow White, Alice, Storybook Land, and Mr. Toad's as exclusive to DLR. There are a few other exclusives that I wouldn't prioritize but are there if you have time like Roger Rabbit, Monsters Inc, Mater's Junkyard etc. Space Mountain is fairly different from the WDW counterpart and should be experienced. I prefer it over the WDW one. Pirates and Fantasmic! are superior in DLR, without a doubt. Everything else is fairly similar if not identical. There are minor things that I prefer for one version over the other.

DLR still uses the old fastpass system and they do enforce the return window so you can't return past the indicated time, but Disneyland's system is separate from California Adventure's so you can pull passes from both parks if you're hopping and the times work out.

Jailer you're clearly the best at Disney lol how does old fast pass work? Which rides are must do fast passes?
It works like the old system at WDW before FP+. You go to the attraction you want to pull a fastpass from and insert your ticket into a kiosk and it spits out a return ticket. The return window is based on the demand for fastpass for that attraction and there is a certain amount of fastpasses allocated for each window so it'll continue to go up as more passes are pulled. It's not uncommon for Radiator Spring Racers to reach return windows in the late evening within the first few hours of park opening. You can pull another fastpass when the one you currently have is active OR in two hours, whichever is less.

Radiator Springs is the essential fastpass, along with Space Mountain and Indy. There are a few attractions at DLR that don't have fastpass where their WDW counterparts do. Toy Story Mania, Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, and the Little Mermaid don't have fastpass.

When are you going?

Christopher

I go next week thanks! I'm dreading getting fast passes for World of Color and Fantasmic...I hope it's not a free for all.

I also wanna sneak in Captain America Thor and Mickey Mouse as I have most of the meet and greets from Florida and they have most of the same!

TEJ

Well, teaser trailer for zootopia.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g9lmhBYB11U

I ain't feeling it. It definitely feels like they are going a more comedic route with this but it doesn't look the least bit funny?

I'd love an emporers new groove 2.0 aka Disneys best animated comedy but.... That's a little unreasonable to expect.

I go next week thanks! I'm dreading getting fast passes for World of Color and Fantasmic...I hope it's not a free for all.

I also wanna sneak in Captain America Thor and Mickey Mouse as I have most of the meet and greets from Florida and they have most of the same!
If there are two shows for World of Color, it's not hard to get a fastpass for the second show, but if you want one for the first show try and grab one within the first few hours. It's not tied to the rest of the fastpass system so don't forget to pull a separate one. Fantasmic doesn't use fastpasss so prepare for crowds.

I ain't feeling it. It definitely feels like they are going a more comedic route with this but it doesn't look the least bit funny?

I'd love an emporers new groove 2.0 aka Disneys best animated comedy but.... That's a little unreasonable to expect.

Eh... Yeah, not too sure about this one.

muteki

Disney's teaser trailers have been a bit misleading lately...I'll wait for a proper full trailer to see how I feel.

I did think the sloth was funny though.

Are you staying on site? How many days?

As others have said, the exclusive rides are the one's you'll want to focus on the most. Though, I would recommend not skipping out on familiar rides like Pirates (which is significantly longer than its WDW counterpart). Make sure you get one of the wait time apps on your phone, they help out a lot.

Enjoy! Disneyland has a different vibe to it than Disneyworld, mainly in part due to it being the original.

Yeah I still have to see more, but I wasn't blown away by what I saw. I dunno, it just looks like every other cg animated movie these days.

TEJ

As far as cgi movies starring talking animals go i'm more excited for kung fu panda 3 as that franchise has already proven itself. This movie has a lot to prove.

There wasn't anything that screamed 'unique' in that teaser. Animated movies starring anthropomorphic animals in place of humans are a dime a dozen. That will likely change if they can create a universe that stands on its own.

but yeah it's just a teaser and modern disney animation teasers tend to be very misleading.

TEJ

I've been staying away from media for both outside of the teaser trailers. The only animated movie that i've paid attn to prerelease was big hero 6.

I might watch the first real trailer for zootopia.

TEJ

The plane trip is in a few hours. I have been planning this trip for the past year. Resort, plane tickets, park tickets, and dining reservations have been made.

I plan on wearing my kingdom hearts 2.5 hd collectors edition pin.

Top Bottom