• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walt Disney community thread: the Man, the Mouse, and their legacy.

Malyse

pocahontas___wallpaper_by_yuuza-d8fi7uz.jpg

Seigyoku

what's your favorite Disney thing that didn't really work out?

Moviewise, I hate that The Black Cauldron wasn't a massive success. Gamewise, I loved the Spectrobes trilogy, which was well recieved, but not Disney level successful.

Gargoyles - though at least it got a lot of solid episodes before Disney et al realized what they had and changed it so it sucked.

TRON UPRISING. So well written. So insane. Such a high body count, but hey they are just programs right? I think cartoon-wise I'm still more upset about losing Green Lantern, but what Disney XD et al did to Tron Uprising was a travesty.

Hey everyone!

I just rewatched Fantasia for the first time in a long time. It reaffirmed its top 5 status for me.

The bald mountain/ave maria sequence is just fantastic.

Chairhome

So, I live in Orlando and my wife and I decided to take the plunge and get Annual Passes for us and our 2 kids. SO EXPENSIVE. but we're doing monthly. Decided to annual vs seasonal since our kids are out of school during the blackout dates, but I didn't consider that the blackout dates will be the times when the park is the busiest so we may not even want to go then.

Anyway. Annual Pass rocks and I love magic bands and fast passes.

So we've been going to Disney World like every other weekend. Just started doing "Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom" which is this fun, free activity where they give you a set of cards and you find these hidden kiosks around the park that you can activate with your cards and "do battle" with certain villains. To do this, you hold up a spell card to a camera and it will cast that spell. Pretty fun.

Malyse

What is your all time fave princess movie? Doesn't have to be an official princess only has a have a princess character. Also, if it's different, who is your favorite princess?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
What is your all time fave princess movie? Doesn't have to be an official princess only has a have a princess character. Also, if it's different, who is your favorite princess?

I love the classics, but Tangled and Frozen both have really grown on me to the point of overtaking some of the classics. But if we're allowed to pick a non-princess movie, Wreck-It Ralph is one of my top Disney movies ever, so that would likely take the cake.

Some people would say I'm part of the problem, haha. But I don't care. :3

As for favorite Princess, I don't think I can pick. I really dig Anna and Belle. I also have a soft spot for Giselle from Enchanted, but I think it's more because I think Amy Adams did a ridiculously good job in her role. But Vanellope von Schweetz is so damn adorable. :|

Malyse

I love the classics, but Tangled and Frozen both have really grown on me to the point of overtaking some of the classics. But if we're allowed to pick a non-princess movie, Wreck-It Ralph is one of my top Disney movies ever, so that would likely take the cake.

Some people would say I'm part of the problem, haha. But I don't care. :3

As for favorite Princess, I don't think I can pick. I really dig Anna and Belle. I also have a soft spot for Giselle from Enchanted, but I think it's more because I think Amy Adams did a ridiculously good job in her role. But Vanellope von Schweetz is so damn adorable. :|
You are not. :3

Enchanted is my favorite princess movie, but belle is best princess by far. She would wreck anyone.

Seigyoku

Just started doing "Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom" which is this fun, free activity where they give you a set of cards and you find these hidden kiosks around the park that you can activate with your cards and "do battle" with certain villains. To do this, you hold up a spell card to a camera and it will cast that spell. Pretty fun.

In umm, 2012? when I dragged my brother to the Christmas party at MK I made sure we picked up SotMK packets despite not playing, wanted the party exclusive card. Last year I dragged BF to pick up packs and we played one small section. He doesn't realize it but but next week (OMG NEXT WEEK) I am totally forcing him to finish out an entire play-through. Also actually bringing a deck with me lol.

Beauty and the Beast. Still one of the best animated movies ever made and ranks pretty high for me for all movies. Belle all the way. <3 Belle. Had brown hair (like me), loves reading (like me!), stands up to idiotic men, <3 <3

Favorite "classic" princess is Aurora. But I love Sleeping Beauty, Philip is my favorite prince and HER DRESS IS BLUE DAMN IT.

I really need to find time to finish watching my missing movies...

Chairhome

In umm, 2012? when I dragged my brother to the Christmas party at MK I made sure we picked up SotMK packets despite not playing, wanted the party exclusive card. Last year I dragged BF to pick up packs and we played one small section. He doesn't realize it but but next week (OMG NEXT WEEK) I am totally forcing him to finish out an entire play-through. Also actually bringing a deck with me lol.
It's that old? Wow I'm late. A coworker of mine has played so many times with his wife that they have 2 complete sets of cards.

Malyse

Beauty and the Beast. Still one of the best animated movies ever made and ranks pretty high for me for all movies. Belle all the way. <3 Belle. Had brown hair (like me), loves reading (like me!), stands up to idiotic men, <3 <3

Favorite "classic" princess is Aurora. But I love Sleeping Beauty, Philip is my favorite prince and HER DRESS IS BLUE DAMN IT.

I really need to find time to finish watching my missing movies
anigif_mobile_a633965506d05d264a3ef67696c8b7a4-7.gif

Seigyoku

It's that old? Wow I'm late. A coworker of mine has played so many times with his wife that they have 2 complete sets of cards.

It apparently started 2/22/2012. That said, other than one card handed out at each Halloween and Christmas party since (so six total) they haven't added any cards past the initial 60 + 10

Dinosaur (though we don't know where in the house it is), Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, Chicken Little, Meet the Robinsons and Bolt.

At least we FINALLY got the Clone Wars "Lost Missions" watched, though not done with the story reels. We have quite the backlog.

Dinosaur (though we don't know where in the house it is), Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, Chicken Little, Meet the Robinsons and Bolt.

Bolt is the only one I really like from that pack.
It's funny that the idea of the ending of Chiken Little is more fun and better than the whole movie preceding it.

TEJ

what's your favorite Disney thing that didn't really work out?

Moviewise, I hate that The Black Cauldron wasn't a massive success. Gamewise, I loved the Spectrobes trilogy, which was well recieved, but not Disney level successful.

The great mouse detective never really getting the recognition it deserved.

Also i'm sorry i havent been posting much, my computer just plain stopped working, busy with college, been going out and doing things and playing videogames too. I have also been saving for this summers dw trip, going to make a lot of reservations as I have heard a lot of not so nice things about quick fix meals.

The one disappointment I've had in my 4 days of being here so far; there is next to no Big Hero 6 merch. I was so hoping to find a Baymax plush for my GF, and they have absolutely zilch. Nothing at the Studios, nothing at The World of Disney.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The one disappointment I've had in my 4 days of being here so far; there is next to no Big Hero 6 merch. I was so hoping to find a Baymax plush for my GF, and they have absolutely zilch. Nothing at the Studios, nothing at The World of Disney.

Baymax is INCREDIBLY hard to find at the moment because of low production and insanely high demand.

Baymax is INCREDIBLY hard to find at the moment because of low production and insanely high demand.

They didn't drag their feet when it came to Frozen.

Baymax is something that is totally gender neutral and is completely lovable. He should be in on the shelves as much as Olaf is.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
They didn't drag their feet when it came to Frozen.

Baymax is something that is totally gender neutral and is completely lovable. He should be in on the shelves as much as Olaf is.

They actually did. My wife and I were in Disney four months after Frozen released. There was NO Frozen merchandise to be found. Like zero. We looked and looked and looked, too.

E: But also, being that Baymax IS so neutral, EVERY ONE wants him. We got lucky and got one when we were there BEFORE the movie released. But as soon as the movie came out, Big Hero 6 stuff disappeared due to INSANE demand. Disney was smart and at least had stuff available to buy at release. It just went crazy quick.

E2: Going to Disneyland in June during the 60th anniversary. Pretty excited as it will be our first time there. Trip to Disneyworld planned for February, May, and October. Another magical year ahead! :)

The great mouse detective never really getting the recognition it deserved.

I'll raise you a The Rescuers Down Under

90% of the people I know haven't heard of it, and the 10% that do know of it haven't seen it.

Edit: But yes, I do agree with you. I personally liked great mouse detective more, but i've yet to meet anyone who has seen rescuers down under.

This would be a good thing for them, not a merge, but mutual work.
Disney will have more presence in the videogame market with more quality products, while Nintendo franchises would have a really big boost in sales thanks to animated movies of great quality done by Disney (that would be basically adverts for them). And then there a possible ride or land if this would be a success. At least it makes more sense than avatar land.

As far as I know. Wikipedia says its ongoing.

They just aired a new episode like last week. I'm not sure if it's actually still in active production though.

Edit: I just found this quote from this past November.

According to Bill Farmer, the voice actor for Goofy and Pluto, the recording of dialog for new episodes has ceased. However, new episodes are still being animated and there will be a fifth season.

Seigyoku

Which makes the most money: Frozen sequel, Age of Ultron, The Force Awakens?

Frozen sequel? There's only a seven minute short that will play before Cinderella...

I tentatively say SW, because goodness knows, if someone like me, who is actually rather apathetic to the idea of another movie will still FLY TO NYC WITH HER BROTHER TO SEE IT AT THE SAME THEATER THEY HAVE SEEN THE OTHER SIX MOVIES, other people will do even dumber things for the insane love of Star Wars. Or inertia.

Malyse

Frozen sequel? There's only a seven minute short that will play before Cinderella...

I tentatively say SW, because goodness knows, if someone like me, who is actually rather apathetic to the idea of another movie will still FLY TO NYC WITH HER BROTHER TO SEE IT AT THE SAME THEATER THEY HAVE SEEN THE OTHER SIX MOVIES, other people will do even dumber things for the insane love of Star Wars. Or inertia.
Frozen is the highest grossing animated film of all time. A sequel is coming.

Seigyoku

Frozen is the highest grossing animated film of all time. A sequel is coming.

Eh. While I am often on the front lines pointing out to the theme park "purists" that Disney's current Frozen offerings at the parks are a good idea because people WANT them, and yes, the whole thing is a phenomenon, one movie is not the MCU or a franchise that has been running so long that quote someone on another forum "parents are taking their kids to the Jedi Training Academy show, and those parents weren't even BORN when RotJ came out."

(I then did that math and cried because I am clearly Old.)

TEJ

I started saving up for my weeklong disneyworld trip this summer. Well merch and food, everything else was paid for last year.

I have heard that quick fix meals are terrible, so i plan on making a lot of reservations. I want teppan edo on my birthday either for lunch or dinner.

On a different note, one of the friends i made from tomonobu itagaki's facebook page, the creator of dead or alive and modern ninja gaiden, is a huuuuuuge disney fan. More on the alan menken side of things.

And i also met a friend from serbia who posts on itagakis facebook page who is a fan of disney.

I started saving up for my weeklong disneyworld trip this summer. Well merch and food, everything else was paid for last year.

I have heard that quick fix meals are terrible, so i plan on making a lot of reservations. I want teppan edo on my birthday either for lunch or dinner.

On a different note, one of the friends i made from tomonobu itagaki's facebook page, the creator of dead or alive and modern ninja gaiden, is a huuuuuuge disney fan. More on the alan menken side of things.

And i also met a friend from serbia who posts on itagakis facebook page who is a fan of disney.

Yeah there are some actually pretty good Quick Service places to eat.

Off the top of my head; Sunshine Seasons at EPCOT, Columbia Harbor House at The Magic Kingdom, Captain Cooks at the Polynesian, Contempo Cafe at the Contemporary Resort, The Mara at Animal Kingdom Lodge, Flametree BBQ at The Animal Kingdom, the French Bakery in the France pavilion at EPCOT.

Went to the Walt Disney Family Museum yesterday.

It was fun. The museum is pretty interest; it has a lot of original pieces and information about Walt and the work that went into many of the early Disney films. If you find yourself in the SF Bay Area, it is worth a visit.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm at Disneyland and I hate it, this hotel sucks (grand Californian) and everything is ass.

Come at me.

Top Bottom