• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The WaterField Case for Nintendo Switch - Production Updates

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
30 Bucks shipping for Europe. I might want to check for a different case lol.

Owari

They are leatherworkers who are passionate about that line of work and I think it's pretty shitty of you to call them jerks because of it.
They have leather free alternatives for their other cases.
You're really stretching for things to dislike about Switch cases. Stick to your large pocketed jeans.
Uhh. What? I'd buy one of these at full price if they just made a version with a cheaper to produce option. I've been using cases from this company for over 5 years. It was something I asked for and was ignored. I have a right to be disappointed.

Coreda

Liking the outer design. If I were using this for general use though I'd prefer the cart sleeves on the inside or with some form of upper closure. Seems rather exposed just being like that beneath the flap, and there's the possibility the carts may be able to fall out if the bag were on an angle and shuffled about. IDK, just concerns me a tad.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Tossing anything with protruding thumbsticks in a tight case like this is an immediate no-no. You don't want to be fucking up the tension of the springs like that.

Cerium

Liking the outer design. If I were using this for general use though I'd prefer the cart sleeves on the inside, as they're rather exposed beneath the flap without an upper closure, and there's the possibility the carts may be able to fall out if the bag were on an angle and shuffled about. IDK, just concerns me a tad.
Trust me they're very secure in those sleeves. Any owner of the 3DS case will tell you the same.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Cushion isn't the problem. These analog sticks aren't tiny like in a Vita. With any amount of pressure on the exterior of the case the sticks are going to be lodged in one direction or another.

Then again I personally never buy soft cases so this might not be an issue for people who do. I just don't want the analog sticks on my brand new switch being wedged out of position while I transport it.

In for the blue. Love it.

I am slightly concerned about pressure on the sticks, but not that much. Usually Nintendo does a good job engineering their components.

Tossing anything with protruding thumbsticks in a tight case like this is an immediate no-no. You don't want to be fucking up the tension of the springs like that.

Just sent them an e-mail about this, as it also my last concern before I pre-order. I'll post here with a response if /when I get one.

Kyonashi

This looks lovely, but the 3DS case shipped to the UK is $90 so I think I'll be going with the regular Nintendo case for $21/£17 for my Switch...

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
This looks lovely, but the 3DS case shipped to the UK is $90 so I think I'll be going with the regular Nintendo case for $21/£17 for my Switch...

Yea same, sadly. I was super hyped until I saw the import price lol.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Just sent them an e-mail about this, as it also my last concern before I pre-order. I'll post here with a response if /when I get one.

just got a response from the team - they are aware of the concern and there is apparently a touch of extra space near the sticks to avoid issues

Ooooooh, so the CitySlicker is going up for pre-order this Friday. I thought this was many months away. I may just cancel my $20 Nintendo case (which was a temporary case for me anyway) and pre-order this. I'm hoping it's ready within the next couple months.

just got a response from the team - they are aware of the concern and there is apparently a touch of extra space near the sticks to avoid issues

I'm curious to see it but I don't see how extra space will do anything. If you put the case in a bag it's still going to have pressure on it. Seems like either a hard case or some type of setup where you detach the Joycon before putting them away would be better.

Vitacat

Cool, I called the price correctly. $80.

Still not the case for me, but enjoy for those who want it.

EDIT: just IMO, but that "waterfield designs made in sf" text across the front flap looks really bad.

Are they gonna keep their logo on the front flap like that? They never did that with their other CitySlickers. Only thing keeping me from preordering this.

Sizzel

I really respect what appears to great craftsmanship and a true dedication to the craft. They are definitely filling a niche. I am just going to put my Switch in a backpack if it ever leaves my house. I am not devoted/secure enough to carry a portable gaming console in a purse as a grown man. For those that are this looks like a must have vs the other ones I have seen.

Wow, it looks like it has plastic on the sides to protect the sticks. Very nice.

Looks cool but I don't see myself playing this in handheld mode outside my house often. I hope they do a heavier duty one that has room for the dock. If they haven't announced one yet I'm guessing they won't have one out by the time I'll want one though.

From what I understand there won't be USB-C cables that can replace the dock, is that correct? I'd grab this if I'll be able to purchase a single cable to connect to power and HDMI.

I really respect what appears to great craftsmanship and a true dedication to the craft. They are definitely filling a niche. I am just going to put my Switch in a backpack if it ever leaves my house. I am not devoted/secure enough to carry a portable gaming console in a purse as a grown man. For those that are this looks like a must have vs the other ones I have seen.

I guess you could carry this around by itself but I'd put it in my backpack, and I assume most people would do the same. The case is to keep the screen and casing from getting beat up and to organize games and cables.

A cheap case will work as well, but personally I wouldn't put a naked Switch in a bag because of the sticks alone, let alone scratches on the screen and rest of the console.

Sargon

I went with the black leather flap. I have that same design for my 3DS XL and I like the black on black. I do have a duffel bag from them with the grizzly leather and I really like that color as well, but I just don't like it together with the black color of the CitySlicker case.

Masx

Banned
It looks nice but how much protection does it really offer?

Ignoring looks for the moment, I personally get travel cases to protect against damage such as accidental drops and what not. By the looks of this case it just seems to have minor padding, if at all. Obviously the solution would be to never drop your devices but doo-doo sometimes happens and it makes me wonder if looking for a hard shell case is better off.

Vitacat

Ignoring looks for the moment, I personally get travel cases to protect against damage such as accidental drops and what not. By the looks of this case it just seems to have minor padding, if at all. Obviously the solution would be to never drop your devices but doo-doo sometimes happens and it makes me wonder if looking for a hard shell case is better off.

That's exactly why I'm not getting the Waterfield, even though I think they're awesome. Even some of the cheapest Switch cases will offer more protection, and that's really what matters most IMO.

Anaithsol

Neo Member
I was considering WaterField's CitySlicker for my Switch after having owned their 3DS variation in the past, but I'm going to have to give it a hard pass after seeing the price and odd logo placement.

I simply can't justify ~$82 on something that I will, more than likely, have to place in another bag for proper transportation.

Sargon

I can only speak for the 3DS CitySlicker, which I own, but it has a fair amount of padding. I have never dropped my 3DS, but I can't really imagine a scenario where I would drop it inside the CitySlicker case and it would get damaged. It would have to be a drop from very high onto a hard surface, but in any normal scenario where you drop the case from 3 or 4 feet up I don't think you would have any issues (unless you drop it and then step directly on it or something crazy like that).

Cerium

If they're like the 3DS cases, which they are, they are tough as fuck. Plenty of padding on the inside and ballistic nylon on the outside.

Vitacat

I can only speak for the 3DS CitySlicker, which I own, but it has a fair amount of padding. I have never dropped my 3DS, but I can't really imagine a scenario where I would drop it inside the CitySlicker case and it would get damaged. It would have to be a drop from very high onto a hard surface, but in any normal scenario where you drop the case from 3 or 4 feet up I don't think you would have any issues (unless you drop it and then step directly on it or something crazy like that).

One big difference, though, is that 3DS's are clamshells, so the screen and controls are protected when closed. The Switch is not.

Sargon

I was considering WaterField's CitySlicker for my Switch after having owned their 3DS variation in the past, but I'm going to have to give it a hard pass after seeing the price and odd logo placement.
I'm not sure whether that is the final design with the logo placement, or just a placeholder, but I would much prefer the logo to be on the inside of the flap.

Cerium

One big difference, though, is that 3DS's are clamshells, so the screen and controls are protected when closed. The Switch is not.

They have a Vita case too which adheres to the same design and has similarly glowing reviews.

It's a really sturdy case. I feel 100% secure putting my Switch in there.

Glassboy

I'm not sure whether that is the final design with the logo placement, or just a placeholder, but I would much prefer the logo to be on the inside of the flap.
I don't mind the logo on the front that much. It's barely noticeable and it's better than the logo they had for their 3ds and vita case.

Sargon

That is true, but there is still enough padding in the CitySlicker to protect from any "normal" drop scenario.

Masx

Banned
I'll take a look at it later when it's out in the wild and I see reviews and more pictures for it. If anything I'm more interested in "The Champ" configuration for carrying all the goodies/accessories.

For now I'll temporarily use the RDS case as it meets my basic criteria.

mlclmtckr

Banned
That looks like a midrange sunglasses case but with an unsightly logo. And it's soft shell. And there are no pictures of the inside on the product page. We had five pages of free marketing for this letdown?

Edit - Oh wait there is a picture of the inside. And... there are no spacers or anything for the joycons? Seems like there's no protection for the analog sticks?

Top Bottom