• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkhero1

Well, I watched the Nintendo Direct "live" and decide not to comment until now. Too much clutter and knee-jerk reactions for my liking, and I wanted to let everything sit in before I posted some thoughts.

For the first-time in the Wii-U's pre-life span, I understand how and why this could be the next revolution in gaming (pardon the pun). The innovative and yet hardcore-nature of the Wii-U controller, the bid for your TV time with a universal remote, the social abilities of the OS, the sharing of experiences with friends and potential knowledge of what is popular in your "community" with miiverse, the simple and intuitive nature of streaming videos, chats, and games to your controller even away from your tv, and the inclusion of a xbox 360-like controller for hardcore gamers to be ever so familiar with while playing gamer's games.

Nintendo is building a bridge console. It is vying for BOTH the casual and hardcore gamers. While the Wii was Wii Sports, the Wii-U is more Super Smash Bros Brawl. This is the system that will aim to unite casual and hardcore gamers alike, and I think they just might have the goods to pull it off and becoming a smashing success (pun intended).

BpAUa.jpg

japtor

So when do we harass Nintendo's Twitter and Facebook accounts about analog triggers? I need them for racing games and GC virtual console!
no has a message board type twitter social thing been done on any other console yet?

I can't imagine MS or Sony missing the boat on this tomorrow
Not on 360 at least, just messages to each other.

I haven't played it yet (just read about it), but doesn't Demon's/Dark Souls have a similar feature?

Linkhero1

So when do we harass Nintendo's Twitter and Facebook accounts about analog triggers? I need them for racing games and GC virtual console!

I feel as if the controller will have analog triggers. If they truly are listening to third parties regarding the controller then this is something that must have been asked of them to implement. That is, if it weren't there to begin with.

I feel as if the controller will have analog triggers. If they truly are listening to third parties regarding the controller then this is something that must have been asked of them to implement. That is, if it weren't there to begin with.

Yeah, common sense says that there's no way they would add the clicky sticks and leave out the triggers. I really hope this is the case.

AGITΩ;38476182 said:
that figure really reminds me of a super hero version of candleja--

You did it wrong! First you've got to say Candlejack, then yo

9:23

«As we mentioned last year, sometimes you can continue playing from the game pad even when the tv screen is being used for something else. This might occur with more casual games when you are in the middle of your Wii fit routine or when you intend to spend many hours deeply immersed in your game.

And others ??? to let you have the TV to yourself for all that time.

And in any of these situations not only will you see high quality console graphics on the big screen tv, but those images can be displayed on the wii u gamepad without delay, something no existing handheld game devices can do.

Wii u will support all your previous forms of wii control, including the wii remote, the nunchuk controller and the wii balance board. For those who are mainly interested in multi-platform games with more traditional means of control, we will also offer the Wii U Pro Controller as a separate peripheral, which is lighter and maybe more attractive for longer, more intense forms of gaming

Although some people may wonder if Wii U is a simple evolution of Wii or something entirely different. I think maybe the best answer is "Both". In 2006, Wii changed the way friends and family interacted in the living room. One way we thought about this was turning the living room into a kind of playground and that play could also be expanded to distant locations. While many Wii games were single player, probably the most memorable experiences came when people would play together. Today, Wii U does what we did, only better. And at the same time it is also something entirely new. Not only can it connect people in a better way in the same living room, but it also connects people living room to living room in a much more compelling way.

By this point, I think maybe it's better to show you an example rather than continue to explain. And in the spirit of creating something unique, I think maybe the following is not what you normally imagine when you hear the term "game video" [motions to start awkward grandpa/coffee reel]
»

I'm working on that one "???" part. Anybody got an idea?

I feel like Scribblenauts for the Wii-U would be a really good fit, if that is what that means.

heh I have a feeling he was dropping hints too.

although I feel if you are not on WiiU now... sheesh if that thing takes off smh

Nintendo should not have been late with the 3DS/PC/Mobile version of Miiverse though that is the only thing saving anyone late getting a game ported to WiiU

9:23

«As we mentioned last year, sometimes you can continue playing from the game pad even when the tv screen is being used for something else. This might occur with more casual games when you are in the middle of your Wii fit routine or when you intend to spend many hours deeply immersed in your game.

And other ??? to let you have the tv to yourself for all that time.

And in any of these situations not only will you see high quality console graphics on the big screen tv, but those images can be displayed on the wii u gamepad without delay, something no existing handheld game devices can do.

Wii u will support all your previous forms of wii control, including the wii remote, the nunchuk controller and the wii balance board. For those who are mainly interested in multi-platform games with more traditional means of control, we will also offer the Wii U Pro Controller as a separate peripheral, which is lighter and maybe more attractive for longer, more intense forms of gaming

Although some people may wonder if Wii U is a simple evolution of Wii or something entirely different. I think maybe the best answer is "Both". In 2006, Wii changed the way friends and family interacted in the living room. One way we thought about this was turning the living room into a kind of playground and that play could also be expanded to distant locations. While many Wii games were single player, probably the most memorable experiences came when people would play together. Today, Wii U does what we did, only better. And at the same time it is also something entirely new. Not only can it connect people in a better way in the same living room, but it also connects people living room to living room in a much more compelling way.

By this point, I think maybe it's better to show you an example rather than continue to explain. And in the spirit of creating something unique, I think maybe the following is not what you normally imagine when you hear the term "game video" [motions to start awkward grandpa/coffee reel]
»

I'm working on that one "???" part. Anybody got an idea?

K, I'll stop at 9:23.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but does anybody else think it looks like you'll be able to manipulate the Wii U home screen with the Wii Remote as well? On the bottom right of the Wara Wara screen there is a channel like looking grid that looks like it would be clickable with the pointer of the Wii Remote.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but does anybody else think it looks like you'll be able to manipulate the Wii U home screen with the Wii Remote as well? On the bottom right of the Wara Wara screen there is a channel like looking grid that looks like it would be clickable with the pointer of the Wii Remote.

I don't think we've seen the actual interface. This was just the Mii Plaza. I think that icon probably takes you to the main menu.

I imagine if you point at any mii on the screen a message would pop up or something so it has to be pretty interactive so wiimote should be a given but not a requirement if the gamepad has the same basic features

Anyway, should we set up the GAF Conference Dictation Squad in advance for Tuesday's conference? How about the other ones?

I wouldn't mind offering my time for five to ten minutes of conference chatter.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Well, find me whatever the hell he's saying where I put those question marks, please. That's around 9:58 or so. :)

I can't figure it out either. :lol He seems to have mangled a word or two there but I think the gist is that you can use the controller only feature when other people in the house won't let you have the TV to yourself.

japtor

Yeah logic says it'll have analog triggers, I'm just thinking as a backup plan in case the floor experiences reveal digital triggers or something.
Well it has a sensor bar so theoretically it would work with a remote. But it's a touch screen so you might as well touch that stuff if it's already in your hands. I figure it's an interface that'll work on either the TV or pad...hell I'm pretty sure it was shown on the TV too wasn't it?

I believe he said the control screen and TV were interchangeable on the home screen and that the control pad screen would display a more familiar (wii channels) set up.

I can't figure it out either. :lol He seems to have mangled a word or two there but I think the gist is that you can use the controller only feature when other people in the house won't let you have the TV to yourself.

Same here I listened to it about 20 times and can't figure it out. It just sounds like he slipped up on a word. Also I'm done with 00:00 to 09:23.

Same here I listened to it about 20 times and can't figure it out. It just sounds like he slipped up on a word. Also I'm done with 00:00 to 09:23.

Then we should replace it with "[CENSORED]" to make it feel more grownup.

edit:
I'll volunteer for the first ten minutes, I guess?

Good. I claim 10:00 to 20:00. That's where the cool stuff is anyway.

edit: Anybody want to do some work on the Microsoft or Sony conferences, or even *shudder* Konami? (edit) or do they already have Dictations Squads?

Nintendo Direct Pre E3 2012 Transcription 00:00 - 09:23

Satoru Iwata:

- Hello everyone

- Thank you for joining me today to be hearing about Wii U

- I'm here inside Nintendo Headquarters in Kyoto in the 7th floor conference room which as you can see is rather plainly furnished.

- But there is something here which is quite significant

- These are the Japanese characters for [points to picture behind him] Doku-so

- This is a term which has guided Nintendo since the early days of the company when Mr. Hiroshi Yamauchi was president

- In English it means "creating something unique"

- I believe when you hear from Nintendo this week there may be several times when you say to yourself, "well, that certainly is unique".

- And hopefully you will be thinking of unique in a good way.

- In fact this Nintendo Direct itself represents something unique because it really begins our E3 news announcements even days before out E3 presentation this coming Tuesday.

- During that event we will be focusing almost entirely on games for Wii U.

- So today I'd like to introduce you to Nintendo's brand new home console Wii U, and its new controller in a more conceptual sense.

- In this room in 2008 we began discussing what we should do with Wii U to meet our goal of creating something unique, and here is one of the topics involved in our discussions.

- Maybe this seems familiar to you.

- People are gathered together in the same room with friends or family, but they are not truly connected.

- They are paying more attention to their devices than to each other.

- There is an American professor who has written a book about this called Alone Together, and I think that term captures the idea.

- New technologies in general have made life easier and more efficient, but we have to wonder what this will mean for the nature of human relationships moving forward.

- So one of the challenges we set for ourselves was creating something that will help unite people rather than divide them.

- Uniting weather in the same room or great distances apart.

- [Holding Wii U GamePad] And this was a tool we devised to help accomplish that.

- It is a controller for Wii U and it's called the Wii U GamePad.

- Let me tell you how we decided on the name.

- In the 1980s we begun selling a home console known in Japan as the Famicom and in America as the Nintendo Entertainment System or NES.

- The controllers for previous game platforms traditionally had a joystick of some sort, but the NES had only a flat surface with a plus control pad.

- Because of this players begun referring to it as a gamepad.

- In any case we decided that this name also makes sense to describe the appearance of the Wii U controller even though it now also features two stick type devices.

- This is probably the most obvious difference from the prototype we showed at E3 last year.

- That previous version had circle pads for thumb control, but we decided that this format was really more appropriate for portable devices where a low-profile form factor is important.

- Instead here we have incorporated sticks that not only operation precisely in 360 degrees but which also can be pushed down for an added method of control.

- In addition we have also redesigned the back of the controller, and the button layout to maximize comfort even if you are playing for a long period of time.

- A couple more things this mark to the left of the screen [under d-pad] is the location for the NFC reader / writer.

- You can place cards or figures on this and relevant data will be read or written into your experience.

- This button [TV button between battery indicator and power button, bottom right corner] can be pressed even when the Wii U itself is not activated.

- With the existing remote for your current Wii you can simply turn on or turn off the game console beyond that you need your TV's or cable remote, but with Wii U the gamepad itself becomes a fully independent infrared TV remote.

- Next, let me talk about some of the things that the Wii U GamePad makes possible.

- Last year at E3 we talked about the potential of two screens.

- Of course, many people already operate the two screens of the both Nintendo DS and Nintendo 3DS.

- But with Wii U two screens become more dynamic.

- Because the relationship between them is not fixed.

- Secondly, the two screens make possible something ingeniously (not too sure about that word) referred to as asymmetric diversity in gameplay.

- In simpler times what is being seen or even done on the small gamepad screen is different from what's happening on the big screen TV.

- We'll be showing you what this means for gameplay at E3 this week.

- The GamePad screen is also a touch screen.

- You can use the stylus to draw pictures, or use a finger for the usual range of intuitive inputs.

- What is more unusual is how the two screens can work together in unprecedented ways.

- This kind of gaming feels unique.

- The Wii U GamePad also senses movement with motion and gyro sensors this is a particularly important with people somewhat unfamiliar with gaming.

- By using more intuitive motions to control a game players of all skill levels can better play together, and of course all this is enhanced because of the improved graphics processing power of the hardware something you'll recognize beginning at the E3 presentation on Tuesday

- Also consider that with a screen in your own hands you don't need to be sitting directly in front of your TV.

- You might also find yourself in any comfortable spot anywhere in the living room.

EDIT: I'll take a section of the conference. I'll take 20:00 - 30:00. Sorry for any grammatical errors above.

11redder

After reading through the ND thread, I liked how people complained about the acting being bad even though it was obviously intentional.

I also think it's a little soon to write off analog triggers. Especially considering how much Gearbox is boasting about the controller... gamepad... Upad.

I also felt it was funny that people are saying the Pro controller "rips off" the 360 when the GC controller had that layout first. It's clearly just a Upad without the screen.

The voice of reason.

I completely agree with the Pro controller assessment. The first thing I thought when I held a 360 pad was how much it mimicked the layout and general ergonomics of the GC pad.

HylianTom

Banned
Then we should replace it with "[CENSORED]" to make it feel more grownup.

edit:

Good. I claim 10:00 to 20:00. That's where the cool stuff is anyway.

edit: Anybody want to do some work on the Microsoft or Sony conferences, or even *shudder* Konami? (edit) or do they already have Dictations Squads?

Is it "adaptive genius" that you were trying to decipher? darkness in IRC suggested this as a possible solution.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Tomorrow will be slow and painful. At least third party NDA is finally up and we'll see some games!

Agreed. I'm almost looking froward to EA's and Ubisoft's conferences the most tomorrow. In fact, anticipation levels for me are the following:

Sony >> Ubisoft > EA >> Microsoft

And Nintendo right now is in a whole other league when it comes to E3 anticipation levels.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Here is the whole thing pieced together.
[Transcribed by CrAzYLeGzLU]

Satoru Iwata:

- Hello everyone

- Thank you for joining me today to be hearing about Wii U

- I'm here inside Nintendo Headquarters in Kyoto in the 7th floor conference room which as you can see is rather plainly furnished.

- But there is something here which is quite significant

- These are the Japanese characters for [points to picture behind him] Doku-so

- This is a term which has guided Nintendo since the early days of the company when Mr. Hiroshi Yamauchi was president

- In English it means "creating something unique"

- I believe when you hear from Nintendo this week there may be several times when you say to yourself, "well, that certainly is unique".

- And hopefully you will be thinking of unique in a good way.

- In fact this Nintendo Direct itself represents something unique because it really begins our E3 news announcements even days before out E3 presentation this coming Tuesday.

- During that event we will be focusing almost entirely on games for Wii U.

- So today I'd like to introduce you to Nintendo's brand new home console Wii U, and its new controller in a more conceptual sense.

- In this room in 2008 we began discussing what we should do with Wii U to meet our goal of creating something unique, and here is one of the topics involved in our discussions.

- Maybe this seems familiar to you.

- People are gathered together in the same room with friends or family, but they are not truly connected.

- They are paying more attention to their devices than to each other.

- There is an American professor who has written a book about this called Alone Together, and I think that term captures the idea.

- New technologies in general have made life easier and more efficient, but we have to wonder what this will mean for the nature of human relationships moving forward.

- So one of the challenges we set for ourselves was creating something that will help unite people rather than divide them.

- Uniting weather in the same room or great distances apart.

- [Holding Wii U GamePad] And this was a tool we devised to help accomplish that.

- It is a controller for Wii U and it's called the Wii U GamePad.

- Let me tell you how we decided on the name.

- In the 1980s we begun selling a home console known in Japan as the Famicom and in America as the Nintendo Entertainment System or NES.

- The controllers for previous game platforms traditionally had a joystick of some sort, but the NES had only a flat surface with a plus control pad.

- Because of this players begun referring to it as a gamepad.

- In any case we decided that this name also makes sense to describe the appearance of the Wii U controller even though it now also features two stick type devices.

- This is probably the most obvious difference from the prototype we showed at E3 last year.

- That previous version had circle pads for thumb control, but we decided that this format was really more appropriate for portable devices where a low-profile form factor is important.

- Instead here we have incorporated sticks that not only operation precisely in 360 degrees but which also can be pushed down for an added method of control.

- In addition we have also redesigned the back of the controller, and the button layout to maximize comfort even if you are playing for a long period of time.

- A couple more things this mark to the left of the screen [under d-pad] is the location for the NFC reader / writer.

- You can place cards or figures on this and relevant data will be read or written into your experience.

- This button [TV button between battery indicator and power button, bottom right corner] can be pressed even when the Wii U itself is not activated.

- With the existing remote for your current Wii you can simply turn on or turn off the game console beyond that you need your TV's or cable remote, but with Wii U the gamepad itself becomes a fully independent infrared TV remote.

- Next, let me talk about some of the things that the Wii U GamePad makes possible.

- Last year at E3 we talked about the potential of two screens.

- Of course, many people already operate the two screens of the both Nintendo DS and Nintendo 3DS.

- But with Wii U two screens become more dynamic.

- Because the relationship between them is not fixed.

- Secondly, the two screens make possible something ingeniously (not too sure about that word) referred to as asymmetric diversity in gameplay.

- In simpler times what is being seen or even done on the small gamepad screen is different from what's happening on the big screen TV.

- We'll be showing you what this means for gameplay at E3 this week.

- The GamePad screen is also a touch screen.

- You can use the stylus to draw pictures, or use a finger for the usual range of intuitive inputs.

- What is more unusual is how the two screens can work together in unprecedented ways.

- This kind of gaming feels unique.

- The Wii U GamePad also senses movement with motion and gyro sensors this is a particularly important with people somewhat unfamiliar with gaming.

- By using more intuitive motions to control a game players of all skill levels can better play together, and of course all this is enhanced because of the improved graphics processing power of the hardware something you'll recognize beginning at the E3 presentation on Tuesday

- Also consider that with a screen in your own hands you don't need to be sitting directly in front of your TV.

- You might also find yourself in any comfortable spot anywhere in the living room.

[Transcribed by GameplayWhore]

And others [CENSORED] to let you have the TV to yourself for all that time.

By this point, I think maybe it's better to show you an example rather than continue to explain. And in the spirit of creating something unique, I think maybe the following is not what you normally imagine when you hear the term "game video"

[motions to start awkward grandpa/coffee reel]

Todd: Whoa, oh no, zombies. Zombies are after me. Oh, g-- oh. Oh you won't think I'm so tasty after this bullet sandwich!

*gunfire and grunts*

Todd: *laugh* Okay… Alright, zombie boss, you're going down. Let's see you try breaking down this door! Ohh! Why did I think that would work? I'm out of bullets? Uh, my bear trap is useless, my pushes are ineffectual. No, no, no! Ohhh, man, he got me again!

Todd: Uh! If I don't beat this zombie boss, I'm gonna end up talking to myself like a crazy person, right Non-specific Action figure?

Non-specific Action Figure: [blank stare]

GamePad: *bloink*

Todd: Hm? *looks at GamePad* "What is my mood?" Is complete despair an option? [typing] "S-O-S Any clue how to beat the scary zombie that breaks down doors", POST

Todd: Alright, maybe these comments by peeps in the same situation as me will help.

Todd: [reading]"Me too, what do I do", "boo hoo", "I almost lost three survivors to that monster", "I thought I almost had a heart attack when he burst in"… guess I'm not alone after all.

Non-specific Action Figure: [blank stare]

Todd: You know what I mean.

Walter: Todd, Todd, Todd.

*phone rings*

Todd: This is Todd, the non-killing zombie killer.

Warren: Knock knock, who's there, a polite zombie who doesn't just break down doors when he wants to come in. In fact he calls first! I'm kidding, it's me Warren. *laughs*

Todd: Yeah, yeah, I take it you saw my post

Warren: Little bit, you know I feel for you, Todd. That zombie boss is a pain in the capital B. Don't worry, I'll be over soon to help you beat those games as per usual

Todd: Um actually I think my buddy OctoG123 has it figured out. Guess I have all the help I need here, Warren

Warren: So… you don't need me anymore?

Todd: Uh, nope, see ya! *hangs up*

Warren: I'm so sad. [at nearby girl(?)] Excuse me, miss! Miss, I-I-I I noticed you're drinking coffee also. Coffee drinkers have a lot in common.

Todd: Alright, OctoG123, let's see if your plan works. "Your scanner reveals pockets of antibodies locate on the zombie's swollen glands"… gross. Let's do this. Back to game. Alright, come on come one come one, swollen glands, what am I even looking for… Get- no, get away!

*crunching sounds*

Todd: I'm gonna call OctoG123 and get to the bottom of this!

*puts GamePad below TV and initiates video call to OctoG123*

Todd: okay okay come on come on come on pick up

OctoG123: Todd, my man, how's the zombie killing business.

Todd: Lousy, OctoG123

OctoG123: Call me grandpa.

Todd: That makes me feel uncomfortable

OctoG123: Says the guy who talks to an action figure?

Todd: Um, you said on Wii U that I should use my scanner to locate the antibodies on the zombie's swollen glands, but I didn't see anything

OctoG123: Have you upgraded your scanner ding-dong

Todd: Noooo, I didn't do that! Okay, awesome, thanks OctoG.

OctoG123: Of course, what are best friends for? I am your best friend, right?

Todd: [covering ears of Non-specific Action Figure] Yeeaaaaah, you're my b-best friend.

OctoG123: Hey, I saw you covered up his ears!

Todd: Gotta go, bye! [gets GamePad and prepares to replay game]

Todd: [to Non-specific Action Figure] Alright, I promise to tell him about us

Non-specific Action Figure: [disapproving glare]

Todd: Okay, updating scanner. Alright, let's see if this works. Oh! There it is! Heeeyes! Okay zombie posse only one he's going to bite it is you! *grunts* I did it! I beat him! I beat him! Did you hear that, Non-specific Action Figure, I beat him! Yeah, oh yes!

Non-specific Action Figure: [grin and thumbs-up]

*slogan: "Together Wii U"*

Todd: Finally, yeah! Woohoo, oh mean, yes this is-- [fades out]

[Transcribed by Gahiggidy]

I think you may agree that was a little different. I hope you liked it.

At the end, I think, you saw a lot of Mii characters come out saying different things and milling about. That was the Wii U menu that you see when the system is first powered on. Our development teams have been calling this Mii Wara Wara since early in development. In Japanese we use the term Wara Wara to describe this kind of gathering. That re-translated, refers to the general noise and commotion created by such a crowd. The Miis you see there are not random. Your Mii will be there along with every person who has an account on your own Wii U system. In addition, your friends are there. And finally, also in the scene are people from your country or who speak your language who are also playing the games represented by the tiles. The speech bubbles represent actual communications from all these real world players.

When you launch the Wii u menu the Wii u game pad in your hand will have a familiar lineup of icons for games and built in applications but on the tv screen you will see tiles for games that players from around the world are playing most including games you may not even own. The Mii characters gather around the games they are playing and the views of the Wii u game pad and TV are interchangeable. What is going on here is what we call Miiverse. Clearly this is a word we invented, a shortened way to describe a Mii Universe, a place where Miis from around the world can meet and connect. It’s a network communication system that is as native to Wii U as if the Wii U game pad (??? - 19:30).

This plaza scene is the first thing displayed on the TV when you turn on your Wii U. Miiverse can be also be activated anytime during your game without the need to terminate play.

Certainly, the idea of a video game network is not new so let me focus on a few of the elements that we feel make Miiverse distinctive. In typical fashion, communication between the Miis can occur with simple text messaging. However, we believe that the touch pad on the Wii U game pad will make some difference.

[Transcribed by HylianTom]

Not only will the touchscreen make typing simpler, but you might also may find that this screen right in your hand makes reading messages easier. Maybe I'm not the only person who sometimes finds it difficult to read the channel guide from the TV from across the room. Miiverse also makes it simple to communicate with handwritten notes, even doodles. As technology has advanced, handwritten missives have declined. But if you use flipnotes studio or swapnote, you'll understand that what you physically write or draw can naturally convey stronger feelings than what you simply type. With Miiverse, you can even add images of facial expression to help communicate your emotions.

Miis have access to a live menu of rich content, including the ability to form screenshots from their own gameplay, and even transmit game content they have created themselves, which can then be added to others' gameplay. All of these aspects of Miiverse which I have described are native to the Wii U platform and can be accessed by all games directly from the home button. But of course, game developers can use Miiverse functionality directly in their games, if they so desire - and they already have many ideas. While we will want to prevent spoilers that might detract from your game experience, the purpose of Miiverse is to add not only information but also a new degree of empathy between players. Furthermore, Miiverse does not require the use of your big screen.

In fact, we consider the small screen on the Wii U gamepad as the social window, fully capable of linking player to player, video to video, sharing across all time and space. By this, I mean that not only does Wii U offer players a way to connect across great distance, but they can also enjoy a sense of connection even when they are not playing at the same time. Of course, just as with Wii, players will be able to compete with players online. But with the Wiiverse, even in a single-player game, even when players are not competing or cooperating at the same time, even when the games are not designed for online interaction, Wiiverse can connect your living room with those of others, regardless of space or time. Because the key components of Miiverse are browser-based, these social connections will eventually be possible outside your home, away from the Wii U itself. We want to offer this immediately at launch, but later Wiiverse will be available from your Nintendo 3DS, your PC, or any web-enabled mobile device. Previously, we said that we expect several generations of Nintendo hardware will be linked by the Nintendo Network. (25:00) In a similar way, the social elements of Miiverse are also designed for Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, and future Nintendo devices.

Let me close with one more thought. In 2006, I first talked about the three conceptual peers which could be altered by Wii.
First: the relationship between the family and the game machine.
Second: the relationship between the game machine and the TV
And third: the relationship between the TV and the internet.

The Wii U gamepad makes each of these connections even richer. That's because the second screen on the Wii U gamepad can perform different functions - even at times independent of Wii U itself.

We showed videos of functionality as well, but there is also an internet browser that allows you to share what you are browsing from the personal screen in your hands with others in living room using the television. You can input pages and the Wii pages on the small screen in your hands, and when watching the videos and photos with everyone, you show content separately on the TV screen. Normally, the browser screen would show the same thing on both the Wii U gamepad screen and the TV. But you can close a curtain over the TV screen so the content can't be seen until you open the curtain, adding some entertainment elements to browsing itself. This is another feature that was prepared based on this concept.

Creation of Miiverse was done with the same thought in mind. I often quote something said by Mr Miyamoto, well-known around the world as the father of many franchises, such as Mario and Zelda. His belief is that "A great idea solves multiple problems at the same time." We believe this describes the Wii U gamepad. It is an idea that has the potential to solve several of the problems Wii U was designed to address. We believe it can help solve the issue of "alone together." We believe it enables the sharing of more smiles, more laughs, and more empathy - this whether at home, or connected to the homes of your friends. We believe that, six years ago, Wii introduced a new form of "together." If there's a way to describe Wii U in a similar sense, it's this: "together, better." Even when you are playing by yourself, the Miiverse can connect you with your friends, family, and other players around the world who are playing the same game you are. Even with no one else in the room, you won't be alone. And perhaps, most of all, we believe, Wii U remains true to the promise of Doku-so. We hope when you experience it first-hand, you will agree that it represents the creation of something unique.

We have a busy week ahead, including our own stage E3 presentation, when we'll continue to focus our attention on Wii U. But don't worry - we also have plenty of news about Nintendo 3DS to deliver during other upcoming opportunities. Thank you so much for spending this time with us today. And I plan on guest tweeting all through E3 on Nintendo's official Twitter account. And I hope that you will be able to join us to follow our E3 presentation on Tuesday when we begin giving you concrete examples of video game experiences you've never had before. Thanks again.

Linkhero1

Agreed. I'm almost looking froward to EA's and Ubisoft's conferences the most tomorrow. In fact, anticipation levels for me are the following:

Sony >> Ubisoft > EA >> Microsoft

And Nintendo right now is in a whole other league when it comes to E3 anticipation levels.

Ha. I'm the complete opposite. I own both a PS3 and 360, but I'm more excited about MS's conference only because of the potential of a new Crackdown being announced.

My anticipation level:

Ubisoft > EA >> MS > Sony

I'm not expecting announcements from MS or Sony that will be to my liking, so they're both lower than Ubisoft and EA.

Edit: Am I the only one disappointed that the console design didn't change all that much from last E3? Looks boring to me :(

HylianTom

Banned
Another suggestion from darkness, if it's not solved yet:

"or when you intend to spend many hours deeply immersed in your game, and (others aren't willing to) let you have the tv to yourself for all that time."

Hope that helps!

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
The OS and Miiverse actually seem really great. It brings the social features everyone has been asking for, and yet at the same time I think it will be seen to be refreshingly game focused compared to what, say, Durango offers. I'm surprised and impressed!

One thing I noticed in the video that I haven't seen discussed is the fact that the system asked the hipster gamer what his mood was at one point. I've never seen an intrusive system like this pretty much asking you for a status update, but I think it may be a very good thing.

Having the system actively ask you questions like that will definitely get more people using the social networking part of the system and get them to do it more often. Seeing as how user interaction is the backbone of social networking, I think this could really help the Nintendo Network take off.

The OS and Miiverse actually seem really great. It brings the social features everyone has been asking for, and yet at the same time I think it will be seen to be refreshingly game focused compared to what, say, Durango offers. I'm surprised and impressed!

I'm really happy they didn't just integrate Twitter or Facebook into their OS and call it a day. This way we can talk about games all we want and not clog up people's Twitter or FB feeds. Eventually it would be nice for them to add the ability to also tweet or post to FB if you want to do that as well.

One thing I noticed in the video that I haven't seen discussed is the fact that the system asked the hipster gamer what his mood was at one point. I've never seen an intrusive system like this pretty much asking you for a status update, but I think it may be a very good thing.

Having the system actively ask you questions like that will definitely get more people using the social networking part of the system and get them to do it more often. Seeing as how user interaction is the backbone of social networking, I think this could really help the Nintendo Network take off.

I like that it not only asks you this, but also reflects that emotion on your Mii's face for that post.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really happy they didn't just integrate Twitter or Facebook into their OS and call it a day. This way we can talk about games all we want and not clog up people's Twitter or FB feeds. Eventually it would be nice for them to add the ability to also tweet or post to FB if you want to do that as well.
Yes, very good points. Plus, integrating FB or Twitter into the system wouldn't create the sort of connection between the user, the system, and the game community that I think Nintendo are going for. Wii U online is all about making you feel a part of a Wii U specific community. A dedicated social platform was the only way to go.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way and I don't think it would have worked if they just used Facebook or Twitter. I want to have my Nintendo specific friends on there (probably mostly Gaffers) and I don't need all my Wii U status updates being posted on my Facebook. They really made me happy with coming up with their own system.

I like that it not only asks you this, but also reflects that emotion on your Mii's face for that post.

Yeah I noticed the dudes Mii looked sad when they showed his post then.

Another suggestion from darkness, if it's not solved yet:

"or when you intend to spend many hours deeply immersed in your game, and (others aren't willing to) let you have the tv to yourself for all that time."

Hope that helps!

That sounds good, but sadly I'm no longer at my computer.

Also, I just discovered that one of the downsides of capacitive touch screens is that they do not work when your thumb has a bandaid on it.

antonz

Looking at the Mario footage. They have a ton of depth layers to the background. WOuld probably look awesome on a 3D TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom