• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinci

Danish
In all seriousness, though: I don't like the idea of a Metroid / Star Fox crossover. Outside of the space setting, nothing about the two really connects. Seems like whatever would come from such a combination would be remarkably forced and yield little creative synergy.

I have no problem with merging the franchises. My only problem is that I don't want Metroid-style exploration in my Star Fox games. If Samus's sections are like "pew pew pew," then I'll be happy.

HylianTom

Banned
Nintendo should just come out and say that all their first party titles are all inside the Nintendo Universe. Like the Marvel universe where lots of messed up shit co-exists.

This is something I can agree with. In fact, I've always just assumed as much.

I mean, StarFox can exist in one galaxy on one side of the Big Bang, while Metroid's story can take place at the directly opposite side of the universe. It'd work!

G-Fex

In the metroid universe, Hyrule is a planet.

It's in the same time frame, it's just that Hyrule is pre-technological era.

In all seriousness, though: I don't like the idea of a Metroid / Star Fox crossover. Outside of the space setting, nothing about the two really connects. Seems like whatever would come from such a combination would be remarkably forced and yield little creative synergy.

Yeah, I agree. It seems like the rumor states that each 'section' of the game would do something completely different. There really isn't any point in using both series, when either one could do the job by themselves.

It's actually post-technological if you go by Skyward Sword.

I was reading today that Ubisoft is showing off all their Wii-U games the day before Nintendo shows off the Wii-U. What that tells me, is that Nintendo's got so many damn Wii-U games, that they don't care if a large chunk get revealed a day early.

Vinci

Danish
And I'm sure if Warren Ellis were put in charge of Nintendo's IPs, we'd get some sort of fucked-up multiverse storyline in which randomly selected characters from Nintendo's past would team up and go around killing all the others... but, thankfully, he isn't.

And there seems to be little practical benefit of assuming they all exist within the same universe. With Marvel, it makes some degree of sense - the vast majority of their heroes live in NYC.

AGITΩ

I'd much rather have an F-Zero Action Game with that Crossing over with Metroid. Since C. Falcon is a Bounty hunter, though the F-Zero cast in itself is a wild bunch mixed up with Mercenaries, Super Heroes, Villains, Mutants, Aliens, Old Guys, and Dr. Zoidberg. Make that a story mode with an Actual F-Zero Gran Prix Mode/Multiplayer/Online and I'll buy 8 copies.

G-Fex

Yeah, I agree. It seems like the rumor states that each 'section' of the game would do something completely different. There really isn't any point in using both series, when either one could do the job by themselves.

It's actually post-technological if you go by Skyward Sword.

I haven't played SS, thanks for ruining it for me!

None the less, Hyrule is a planet.

EVERYBODY REMEMBER

Metroid and the Kid Icarus universe is one and the same.

The WiiU should have a lot of titles just from the shear fact of how long third parties have had dev kits.

It's already been atleast 13 months. Given the fact there are still potentially 5 months before release, the amount of time the launch lineup will have had in development trumps any other console release.

Considering the airwing showed up in the sky of a Zelda OoT (at least in the code).....this is the case.

Seriously, I always assumed that the different Nintendo franchises were in the same universe, just different planets. I like my thoery, and that's how it's going to be.

I am having a difficult time looking at pictures and not seeing their viability for Reggie shops

D41D8C81BAF3C01B8920F6979AC10445.jpg

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Nintendo should just come out and say that all their first party titles are all inside the Nintendo Universe. Like the Marvel universe where lots of messed up shit co-exists.

The only way I would accept that is if it was coupled with a Mushroom Kingdom game that combined Nintendo and Disney/Pixar characters. Mario and Mickey platforming, Samus and Wall-E traveling the galaxy, Link and Robin Hood helping the poor, Captain Falcon and those Cars racing it up, Star Fox and Buzz Lightyear blasting shit, Nintendogs starring Bolt, Hercules and Kid Icarus showing the heavens what IS UP, Donkey Kong and Tarzan taking to the trees, and a Chibi RObo adventure in The Toy Story world.

:lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Them saying it and making it official doesn't excuse how dumb certain crossovers would be. It's no different to just doing the crossover outright. The thematic clashes exist regardless.

Vinci

Danish
The only way I would accept that is if it was coupled with a Mushroom Kingdom game that combined Nintendo and Disney/Pixar games. Mario and Mickey platforming, Samus and Wall-E traveling the galaxy, Link and Robin Hood helping the poor, Captain Falcon and those Cars racing it up, Star Fox and Buzz Lightyear blasting shit, Nintendogs starring Bolt, Hercules and Kid Icarus showing the heavens what IS UP, Donkey Kong and Tarzan taking to the trees, etc.

:lol

Yeah, I've always wanted a Mushroom Kingdom Hearts too.

Them saying it and making it official doesn't excuse how dumb certain crossovers would be. It's no different to just doing the crossover outright. The thematic clashes exist regardless.

I agree. It would be like Valve and R* revealing that Portal and Red Dead Revolver somehow exist within the same universe... What does it earn them? What's the benefit from the association? Some combinations, while fun within a context of a fighting game like Smash Bros., just don't work well together within a canonic title.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I didn't think I'd walked into a community of fan-wankers when I first came here... Disappoint.

Yep. That restricts all of the series on some level. It's just not needed.

The WiiU should have a lot of titles just from the shear fact of how long third parties have had dev kits.

It's already been atleast 13 months. Given the fact there are still potentially 5 months before release, the amount of time the launch lineup will have had in development trumps any other console release.

The Wii U's line up is going to trump any other console's release because development for the current HD consoles is still in full swing.

This means a few things, both good and bad. It will have a full robust line-up of quality titles, instead of rush jobs. But those rush jobs won't be unique. The third-party titles will largely be the same as the ones on 6-7 year old hardware.

People buy a lot of crap on new hardware because they want to experience "the next gen." This might not happen on Wii U if most of the titles are perceived to just be part of the current gen, and that also might set the stage for the console's entire life. First impressions die hard. Ask the Wii.

yeah but it's cool to build a whole universe, lays the foundation for potentially good ideas (and bad ideas!)

I waffle back and forth on the Metroid x Star Fox rumor constantly, but right now I really want it to happen just to find out what would happen. The idea is crazy and "dumb" enough that I'd be excited beyond belief to see how Retro tackled the project. Would it work entirely? I dunno, probably not. But I can imagine that it'd be memorable enough that I wouldn't resent its existence.

Edit: I totally endorse the Nintendo crossover universe for the same reasons. If it doesn't work, Nintendo can just stop and go back to making individual games.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I agree. It would be like Valve and R* revealing that Portal and Red Dead Revolver somehow exist within the same universe... What does it earn them? What's the benefit from the association? Some combinations, while fun within a context of a fighting game like Smash Bros., just don't work well together within a canonic title.

Here's the thing, in regards to cross franchise stuff: when you're making a new game within the confines of an established franchise, you've got to pick one of two options:

A) Evolve your franchise with creative, unique ideas that are not only faithful and consistent with established thematics, but grow those thematics, further defining your franchise.

Or B) Merge it with ideas from another franchise.

The former to me says "We have amazing ideas that fit brilliantly with this franchise. They're unique, creative and interesting. The suit what this franchise is all about, while giving it a fresh coat of paint." That means your developers and artists are creative.

The latter says "We don't have any ideas how to evolve this franchise further. We're stuck in a rut. We have nothing. So we're going to merge it with something else, steal ideas from elsewhere, because we've got nothing". That says creative bankruptcy and scraping the bottom of the barrel for the sake of doing a new game.

If franchises are going to merge they should only ever do so if the idea of merging them is paramount to evolving both series, while remaining thematically consistent to both. It needs to be the very foundation, and a logical, reasonable decision. And rarely is this the case.

Vinci

Danish
Here's the thing, in regards to cross franchise stuff: when you're making a new game within the confines of an established franchise, you've got to pick one of two options:

A) Evolve your franchise with creative, unique ideas that are not only faithful and consistent with established thematics, but grow those thematics, further defining your franchise.

Or B) Merge it with ideas from another franchise.

The former to me says "We have amazing ideas that fit brilliantly with this franchise. They're unique, creative and interesting. The suit what this franchise is all about, while giving it a fresh coat of paint." That means your developers and artists are creative.

The latter says "We don't have any ideas how to evolve this franchise further. We're stuck in a rut. We have nothing. So we're going to merge it with something else, steal ideas from elsewhere, because we've got nothing". That says creative bankruptcy and scraping the bottom of the barrel for the sake of doing a new game.

If franchises are going to merge they should only ever do so if the idea of merging them is paramount to evolving both series, while remaining thematically consistent to both. It needs to be the very foundation, and a logical, reasonable decision. And rarely is this the case.

I think of it more like merging two companies, or having one buy another. Doing so should yield some sort of synergies between the two - ie. it should bring about creative opportunities that take the strengths of the independent properties and turn them into more than the sum of their parts.

That's hard to do within this context because, well, most of these games play very differently from one another. Not to mention their themes, their tones, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom