• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anustart

12 days.

12 hours.

It begins.

This month has actually flown by for me. Every time I look at the calendar it seems another week has gone by. E3 is coming up fast! Next week should be great around here also, what with the gif's already starting and e3 bear is bound to show his face again with the new crate photos that are likely to show up next week as well!

Actually, one of the few IPs Nintendo has that I think has real crossover opportunities would be Pikmin.

Pikmin in the Metroidverse would be amazing. Fanfic time:

The opening cinematic explains how a tiny meteor hit Samus's ship and caused it to crash land on a planet. Naturally, Samus loses all her equipment.

But it wasn't a tiny meteor. It was Olimar's ship. Olimar also crash lands on the planet. He starts (as microscopic as ever) collecting all of Samus's gear himself because he wants to pawn it off back on Hocotate!

Was wsippel's comment about a Nintendo engine in the Eurogamer thread something new or has it already been discussed in here?

He mentioned it in the last thread, and another person said they knew someone that liked it better than UE3.

Namco actually did this pretty recently.

Thanks as I've been trying to remember who did that for the last couple days.

I got chiiiills, they're multiplyin'

How much longer till you lose control?

AGITΩ

Think about this.

If the infinite universe theory is correct, there is a universe where we co-exist with the Nintendo universe.

Can you handle this?
Thats this world, and the Nintendo Universe is the games we play....

I WAS TRANSPORTED, TO A FAR AWAY LAND AND TO A WORLD WERE MUSHROOMS RULE
I PLAYED THE GAME LIKE AN ACE
NOW WE'RE IN THIS PLACE
TO SAVE NINTENDO FROM THE EVIL....

wait, that took place inside a PSOne...nvm

RagnarokX

Them saying it and making it official doesn't excuse how dumb certain crossovers would be. It's no different to just doing the crossover outright. The thematic clashes exist regardless.

They could do a Kingdom Hearts type thing. Mario, Yoshi, DK are all one one planet. Hyrule is its own planet/realm. Metroid, Kirby, Star Fox, Pikmin, and F-Zero are all in space. Fire Emblem is its own planet. Pokemon is its own planet. Kid Icarus. blah blah. You have a space-traveling threat and use one or more of the space-traveling Nintendo franchise to connect the ones that don't space travel. Top it off with an amnesia ending.

BY2K

Membero Americo
t1338912000z4.png

Honestly, I think if tone is what's really important than ZeldaXMetroid would be your best bet since Link (certain incarnations of him anyway) and Samus are Nintendo's two most serious characters.

Oddduck

Here's my take on Star Fox x Metroid.

It's easier to make Star Fox fit in Metroid's world by making Star Fox more darker and grittier...than to make Metroid fit in Star Fox's world.

So if Retro Studios does this idea, expect changes to make Star Fox's tone darker and moodier to fit Metroid's tone and atmosphere.

BY2K

Membero Americo
RYxNi.jpg

They'll really need to do something amazing to beat that stage this year.

That seriously was their best one.

Not just because of the design, but also what they could do with it.

Think about this.

If the infinite universe theory is correct, there is a universe where we co-exist with the Nintendo universe.

Can you handle this?

Not sure if I can handle the fact that, in an alternate universe, I'm creating a Bubsy x Strider racing sim. Nope, I'll gladly be blissfully ignorant.

Anth0ny

Nintendo should just come out and say that all their first party titles are all inside the Nintendo Universe. Like the Marvel universe where lots of messed up shit co-exists.

Call it Avengers hype, but I was thinking the same thing. Maybe Retro is working on multiple, "Fusion Saga" games involving Nintendo IPs.
They all lead into Smash Bros 4.

Redford

aka Cabbie
They could do a Kingdom Hearts type thing. Mario, Yoshi, DK are all one one planet. Hyrule is its own planet/realm. Metroid, Kirby, Star Fox, Pikmin, and F-Zero are all in space. Fire Emblem is its own planet. Pokemon is its own planet. Kid Icarus. blah blah. You have a space-traveling threat and use one or more of the space-traveling Nintendo franchise to connect the ones that don't space travel. Top it off with an amnesia ending.

So basically Super Smash Bros Brawl.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Honestly, I think if tone is what's really important than ZeldaXMetroid would be your best bet since Link (certain incarnations of him anyway) and Samus are Nintendo's two most serious characters.

They're still worlds apart. They deal with completely different themes, lores, and concepts. They're built as very different universes.

If I absolutely had to pick the best mesh with Metroid, it would be as others have said: F-Zero. Simply because there's no really significant thematic inconsistencies between the two. Both are science fiction. Both exist in human filled universes with a strong alien presence. Both take themselves relatively seriously. Both, in art design, are more closely interchangeable than anything else.

Yeah. Stuff like Kingdom Hearts, and Smash Bros, exist in a "what if?" universe where the aim is to merge everything together, recklessly even, just to see what happens. A Nintendo All-Stars RPG style thing would work fine with this too, as the ideas is "ITS EVERYBODY! TOGETHER!", and therefore becomes it's own contained universe in a sense.

Where is this comment again?

"Knew" turned out to be the wrong word, but other than that the info is the same.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37969960&postcount=12908

thegodsend said:
wsippel said:
I assume it's a joint effort, not made by any particular team. It's used by 3rd party developers all over the world. Mostly for shovelware though, for obvious reasons. I believe only SQEX ever talked about the engine in public, leading many readers to believe it was just a "Wii emulator" for PC due to slightly ambiguous wording. It's also heavily used on 3DS, and Nintendo recommends its use over writing inhouse engines in the official documentation.
I talked to a developer recently who worked with UE3, Unity and NintendoWare and he praised NintendoWare as the best engine he ever worked with.

It would be great to see Nintendo presenting it at GDC at some point...

HylianTom

Banned
So basically Super Smash Bros Brawl.

That's pretty much what I've been thinking all along. United to save the world against some strange enemy that threatens them all.

Nintendo needs to hire some writers to come-up with a good enough backstory so that they've all bumped into each other in some strange, maybe even unremarkable ways. But we'd groan at no matter what they produce if they were to attempt such a thing.

I've got nothing worth mentioning about Nintendo, sorry.
So you do have something.
somegiforsomething.gif
I'm not quite sure I get the message here.

Well, we should get a preview of the next Nintendo Power issue within the next 24 hours that reveals what their "story of the generation" is.

Hopefully it is Wii-U related.
Everytime I see that teaser, I see a ship. Not some stupid stylised country.

Though its pretty obvious its Metro or something Russian.

Terrell

Them saying it and making it official doesn't excuse how dumb certain crossovers would be. It's no different to just doing the crossover outright. The thematic clashes exist regardless.

Not if it's written correctly.

Yeah, I've always wanted a Mushroom Kingdom Hearts too.

No. Just... just no.

I'd say an action RPG is something Nintendo is seriously looking at after the positive reception to Subspace Emissary.

Redford

aka Cabbie
That's pretty much what I've been thinking all along. United to save the world against some strange enemy that threatens them all.

Nintendo needs to hire some writers to come-up with a good enough backstory so that they've all bumped into each other in some strange, maybe even unremarkable ways. But we'd groan at no matter what they produce if they were to attempt such a thing.

Yup. Unless we're talking for the next SSB, it's already been done.

HylianTom

Banned
Well, we should get a preview of the next Nintendo Power issue within the next 24 hours that reveals what their "story of the generation" is.

Hopefully it is Wii-U related.

If it truly is the "story of the generation," it had better well be related to the U. It'd be a bit ridiculous if it weren't. Okay, a lot ridiculous.

Anth0ny

I thought a regular play through of Majora's Mask would last me until E3.

I decided to make it a 3 heart, kokiri sword only run. Played for 6 hours today and finished the third dungeon ^_^

I guess I'll just 100% it

MisterHero

But we'd groan at no matter what they produce if they were to attempt such a thing.
Sometimes fans of cartoon characters need to stop worrying about how tacky these things are. :p

Who Framed Roger Rabbit pulled viewers into a world where cartoons lived among real people. It was a good movie too!

HylianTom

Banned
I thought a regular play through of Majora's Mask would last me until E3.

I decided to make it a 3 heart, kokiri sword only run. Played for 6 hours today and finished the third dungeon ^_^

I guess I'll just 100% it

Now that is sick.

(I found that the Stone Mask was pretty helpful, actually.)

Sometimes fans of cartoon characters need to stop worrying about how tacky these things are. :p

Who Framed Roger Rabbit pulled viewers into a world where cartoons lived along real people. It was a good movie too!

Damn right it was. Bringing serious themes and critiques of urban design, transport policy, and politics.. coated by a candy shell of cartoon characters? Pretty damn nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom