• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

Zaro said:
Holy shit Chapter 1 was long, loved it.

Ch1 spoilers:
Playing through on normal, had a bit of trouble with both bosses. I didn't know how to avoid the rocks when finishing off the Kayran so I had to do the fight without taking any damage and just brute force the final run.

With Leto I was having trouble with him till stopped using spells/items on him and just used Quen so I could stay on him when he casted on me and ended up beating him without taking damage.

Also following the trails of blood at the end gave me the shits.

The spell wheel isn't that big of a deal. Menu's are probably the only thing that really suffers in that regard.

How long did Chapter 1 take you?

Van Buren

blackmamba707 said:
guys what's the impact of Witcher 1 save file? what does it change storywise?

I see I got Raven's jacket and Aerondight silver sword but is that all?

A certain potty-mouthed secret service official from the first game features indirectly due to the import. I've also seen references to Adda's fate. There were other little references too, but then again, I'm only in Chapter 1.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Marco1 said:
As much as I love witcher 1, is a joypad or mouse/keyboard the better way to enjoy witcher 2?
Thanks.
After trying both, they're both well done, but I personally like the KBM more.

Minsc

Gold Member
Van Buren said:
A certain potty-mouthed secret service official from the first game features indirectly due to the import. I've also seen references to Adda's fate. There were other little references too, but then again, I'm only in Chapter 1.

Does Triss give you the evil eye for passing Alvin to Shani?

Exuro

How in the world do I do group finishers? I got the talent for it and I'm only doing single finishers when my vigor bar fills.

Also, is there a way to remove and add a new mutagen to a talent? I threw one in(went to an earlier save later) and I don't see a way to replace it.

Zeliard

Marco1 said:
As much as I love witcher 1, is a joypad or mouse/keyboard the better way to enjoy witcher 2?
Thanks.

I personally wouldn't even consider not using kb/m but plenty seem to be enjoying it with gamepad. Functions just fine with kb/m in my experience.

Zefah said:
What I did was create about 30 Samum bombs (I think you can buy the recipe somewhere in town or from that ex-scoia'tael elf guy) via Alchemy, which can be accessed when you meditate. Just try and keep the Quen sign up and chuck those at the Nekkers. The bombs do decent damage and tend to stun quite a few at once, so you can go in and do instant kills. Then, just clean them up with your sword when their numbers are down to three or less.

Yeah don't ignore the bombs and physical traps. On Hard difficulty I've found them invaluable so far. And one of the first one skills you can get in the Alchemist tree when you unlock it increases bomb damage by something like 30% and trap damage by 20%.

Max

I am not Max
"Error writing file. Retrying in 10 seconds" forever while downloading the Troll DLC

now it says "Connection error"

halp.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
OK, I'm making the Mongoose potion and I just got the goop from the cave full of Nekkers. My objective is to create it now but I seem to be missing one ingredient still. Any idea of what I should be looking for?

ah, just needed some shrooms

JoeBoy101

Zeliard said:
I personally wouldn't even consider not using kb/m but plenty seem to be enjoying it with gamepad. Functions just fine with kb/m in my experience.

But how well does the combat work with kb/m with all that rolling around and strikes being made? Just seems a bit cumbersome, but I'll give it a bit of a try tonight.

max said:
"Error writing file. Retrying in 10 seconds" forever while downloading the Troll DLC

now it says "Connection error"

halp.

Mine kept having a connection failed error.

Van Buren

Minsc said:
Does Triss give you the evil eye for passing Alvin to Shani?

I favored the red-haired one that didn't try to help me by pricking enemies with a pocket knife. Alvin is never mentioned, but you-know-who is.

VisanidethDM said:
Am I the only one that is somewhat amused that the most impressive PC exclusive in ages is basically a console game with insane graphics?

and how is this "basically a console game"?

I bought my copy on GOG.com and I'm just waiting on my new pc parts to arrive before I dig in. Everything seems to point to this being a thoroughly PC focused RPG game but like I said I haven't played it yet. This is not like DA2 from all indications

Exuro said:
How in the world do I group finishers? I got the talent for it and I'm only doing single finishers when my vigor bar fills.

Also, is there a way to remove and add a new mutagen to a talent? I threw one in(went to an earlier save later) and I don't see a way to replace it.
I haven't done it personally, but there's a special button for adrenaline abilities. It's not automatic like the regular finishers.

Mutagens are permanent I believe.

Zeliard

JoeBoy101 said:
But how well does the combat work with kb/m with all that rolling around and strikes being made? Just seems a bit cumbersome, but I'll give it a bit of a try tonight.

Mouse buttons for attack, spacebar to roll, WASD for movement. Pretty straightforward. Every key is customizable as well.

Hawk269

Knowing the game has 3 chapters, plus the prologue, for those that are already done with chapter 1 how long did it take you? Did you do alot of side-quest stuff or just the story line? Just curious on the length of the chapters to determine how long the game is.

Also, once you are done with a chapter, do you ever go back to enviroments/towns from the completed chapter? so if you want to go back and do side-quests stuff later?

Animator

I have put in like 10 hours to chapter one so far and havent done a single main quest.

--
Controller works way better for this game than kb/mouse.

Hawk269

subversus said:
I'm a bit slow today, but where can I download my DLC and language pack???

From the launcher. You have to register first, then the option is highlighted to download the free Troll DLC quest and whatever codes you have for additional content.

Exuro

Jay Shadow said:
I haven't done it personally, but there's a special button for adrenaline abilities. It's not automatic like the regular finishers.

Mutagens are permanent I believe.
I know, when I fill up my vigor bar I press x but it's only doing single kills. Mutagens being permanent sounds retarded. There's only so many talents that can use them and I have a crap load of lesser and regular mutagens. Makes me not want to use them if they're permanent. Bad game design imo.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Hawk269 said:
From the launcher. You have to register first, then the option is highlighted to download the free Troll DLC quest and whatever codes you have for additional content.

what launcher? where can I find it? I registered the game.

Van Buren

Animator said:
The troll is the best character in any game ever. Wish there was a *hug button.

Fliparse, Mr. Plow-em-all and the drunken soldier who thinks Geralt is a 'white-haired filly' and tries to mistakenly hit on Geralt are strong contenders for that title.

Animator

Salaadin said:
I talked to him and he attacked me and destroyed me. I reloaded and figured Id come back another time.

You hit him a couple times and he yields and the quest starts. He is not hard to beat just put up shield and hit a couple times and roll away.

Arozay

Salaadin said:
How long did Chapter 1 take you?
Including Prologue it took around 12-13 hours I think. Fairly sure I did every side-quest I could with my choices.

Edit:
derFeef said:
Oh, the Bonus content for the Steam version is in the Tools category oO
Wow...

As an added note, I don't find ANYTHING bad in that. Call it as you will, but TW2 does presentation and interface the right way. I was mostly amused by being pleased by hints of "consolization".

Zeliard

Exuro said:
There's only so many talents that can use them and I have a crap load of lesser and regular mutagens. Makes me not want to use them if they're permanent. Bad game design imo.

No, it's good game design. It's called choice and consequence. :>

You make the choice to stick a mutagen in whatever talent then prepare for the consequence of it being permanent. It makes those choices a lot more meaningful.

You've got a lesser mutagen just sitting there in your inventory with an open slot in one of your talents, and you badly want to put it in there for the boost, but you wonder if you should instead wait for a better mutagen. It's basically short-term vs long-term thinking. Then you make a decision, and live with it, which is how it usually works in The Witcher's world.

That also ties into leveling up in general, by the way. I think the cap is level 35, which means you only get 35 talent points, which is far less than the total number of talent nodes (and their 2 levels). So every time you stick a talent point in a node, which is also permanent and irreversible (unless you load a previous save), you need to choose wisely.

ameratsu

I went through the OP and it's great to hear that they scrapped the awful hand-to-hand combat system from the first Witcher game.

What is the combat system like now? I watched the combat overview and another combat video, but I'm still unsure if I want to take the plunge as the combat in the first completely killed an otherwise great game for me.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
god damn is game is good...

I mean... fuck, it's been a while since I loved gaming like I do now while playing the game.

Finally downloaded it all and the launcher gets to "checking for available updates" and just closes. Can't launch the game from the exe, tells me to use the launcher to activate. PIECE OF SHIT.

Animator

ameratsu said:
I went through the OP and it's great to hear that they scrapped the awful hand-to-hand combat system from the first Witcher game.

What is the combat system like now? I watched the combat overview and another combat video, but I'm still unsure if I want to take the plunge as the combat in the first completely killed an otherwise great game for me.

Have you played demons souls? It is like that.

Corky said:
god damn is game is good...

I mean... fuck, it's been a while since I loved gaming like I do now while playing the game.

Seriously man, I haven't scratched an itch like this since diablo 2 in the rpg department.

Corky

Confidence Man said:
Finally downloaded it all and the launcher gets to "checking for available updates" and just closes. Can't launch the game from the exe, tells me to use the launcher to activate. PIECE OF SHIT.

same thing happened to me and I was boiling with rage. The solution : wait and keep trying once every 5 minutes or so.

:/

careksims

Okay got the CE. No broken busts here. The game installed without a hitch. There was a little problem with the activation/patching, but that was taken care of. Playing the game on high settings. Getting 30fps. Seems fine to me.

ameratsu

Animator said:
Have you played demons souls? It is like that.

Really? That's about the best thing someone could have said here. I didn't get that feeling from watching combat videos, but if that's the case I will definitely pick this up.

Thanks!

ameratsu said:

It's sort of a QT combo sequence, but un-annoying, and I kinda like it, just because Geralt looks like a badass.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Confidence Man said:

I had no problems LIKE THESE with getting a game running since DOS days.

1)mfc100.dll not found
2)the patch could no be applied!
3)Directx components missing
4)the game runs but the launcher is missing somewhere

100% PC EXCLUSIVE

Exuro

Zeliard said:
No, it's good game design. It's called choice and consequence. :>

You make the choice to stick a mutagen in whatever talent then prepare for the consequence of it being permanent. It makes those choices a lot more meaningful.

You've got a lesser mutagen just sitting there in your inventory with an open slot in one of your talents, and you badly want to put it in there for the boost, but you wonder if you should instead wait for a better mutagen. It's basically short-term vs long-term thinking. Then you make a decision, and live with it, which is how it usually works in The Witcher's world.

That also ties into leveling up in general, by the way. I think the cap is level 35, which means you only get 35 talent points, which is far less than the total number of talent nodes (and their 2 levels). So every time you stick a talent point in a node, which is also permanent and irreversible (unless you load a previous save), you need to choose wisely.
I'm still not liking it. How do I know that there isn't a better mutagen down the road? This makes me not want to spend any and ignore it entirely. I understand choices and consequences but for items that I'm getting tons of these things and it's very annoying that I won't be using any due to not wanting to gimp my character. If these were rare items I would understand but I have a lot of them in my pack and they'll all just go to waste like junk items.

Arozay

ameratsu said:
I didn't mind the combat system in the first game, although it was a little too easy to just jump in with group style and Igni.

From what I've played so far, the system is pretty unforgiving in the start of the game. Until you get reduced block cost, counter and whirl you have to play it pretty safe but even then you have bombs and traps to fall back on. All spells are pretty useful now (hex only in conversations).

Only thing I miss from the first game was the ability to leap over enemies, cause you take 200% damage from the back (can talent to reduce it) so you can literally die in one hit to some things.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I really wish I could play right now, but I'm working. Guess I have to wait until the evening. :(

Corky

AllIsOneIsNone said:
Seriously man, I haven't scratched an itch like this since diablo 2 in the rpg department.

That's pretty much EXACTLY what I feel like when playing this game. Not really insinuating that tw2 is somehow like d2, but the feeling, atmosphere, looting, music, skills and overall magic of the game. GOD! It feels great man. Really I loved the prologue, enjoyed the crap out of chapter 1 ( up to that point I've been atleast playing for like 10 hours or something already ) and then BAM! Chapter 2! I hate to use this word but damn if it hasn't been epic, as in the literal definition of epic.

edit : I LOVE that the way the game is played and evolved it pretty much forces you to use traps, alchemy and such. Yes, thank you for balancing a game in such a way that I can't lame myself through it.

Ceebs

Why in the world do the make you roll the dice yourself! you can barely throw them without at least one going off the board.

mr stroke

ColonialRaptor said:
Just played for 8.5 hours non stop.

Couldn't put it down. Didn't eat dinner (I ate biscuits and drank milk a couple of times throughout to satiate my hunger).

I'm supposed to be getting up for work in 4.5 hours.

I'm going to be so screwed tomorrow but I just couldn't stop playing, I am totally in love with this game in every way and I feel like I'm still barely scratching the surface I mean I haven't even gotten past Chapter 1 yet and I've only done a few quests within it.

Just got up to Level 9 and got some new items / armour and weapons (including a weapon that has a 50% chance of poison) and wow, I'm one powerful mofo by default at the moment.

God I love this... LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE. I love the traps, I love the bombs, I love the daggers (daggers rock!), I love the alchemy, I love the Magic, I love the Skill Trees, I love the entire inventory, journal and crafting system, I'm so totally hooked.

The DiRT 2 Crossfire Profile thing worked as well .

what is this and where do I find it?

ToyBroker

Banned
Quick question for you connected guys in the Youtube scene...are there any walkthrough videos up yet of people playing the entire game? Or at least as far as they've gotten thus far.

I can't play this because I have a Mac, and I really wanna watch someone play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom