• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Salaadin said:
If its like the first game, there should be a folder in the steamapps/The Witcher 2 directory containing the extras.
Id be pretty weird if steam users downloaded 16GBs yesterday and it DIDNT have the extras XD
I checked last night and all I could find was the manual. There have been some saying on Steam forums that the premium content was not delivered by the publisher.

JWong

Banned
cleveridea said:
So all you people loving it, do you have monster rigs or something? The performance is just too sluggish for me to enjoy the action oriented combat. I already dropped all the settings, turned off the options like AA, blur, shadows etc even vsync (and I hate tearing) and down to 720p on my i7 with an 460M, installed latest nvidia drivers

there is probably a beautiful game here, I love the look of the world but as soon as enemies appear on the screen framerate takes a dive when its needed most.

maybe I can come back to it if they release a patch or something, its just unplayable for me during combat with current optimization.
Yes we do... yes we do.

I got a new rig just to play this game.

Salaadin

DenogginizerOS said:
I checked last night and all I could find was the manual. There have been some saying on Steam forums that the premium content was not delivered by the publisher.

Thats so bizarre. Why was the download so huge then? Is the steamapps/TW2 folder reporting a 16GB file size?

Akkad

Banned
I got the game from D2D and the bonus stuff is a separate 1.6 gb download, the main game is 13.9 gb.

I can't even register my game because of the servers. I mean these guys run GOG and are having this many problems with servers, WTF!

Right. The Witcher 2 uses (and only uses) Internet Explorer to connect to their servers. If you only have Firefox you're fucked.
Now when initially trying to connect there was an error message saying IE not found then I would have known the problem. As it was I had no idea and spent half the day running around in circles. This also applies if IE has not been updated either.

Just a simple error message would have saved a shit load of time and frustration!

ukas

thetrin said:
I don't have a monster rig, but mine is up to date (I'm running on Ultra with everything on except bloom and ubersampling)

Phenom II X4 3.2ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
Radeon 6950 2GB

If he's using a 460M then it's a laptop. I have the same in my Alienware M15X which also runs like crud when it really shouldn't. My desktop on the other hand runs great.

Edit: I know on my old M15X (Gen 1) the Nvidia drivers used to downclock the GPU. I had to install special drivers at one point to get the full speed out of the card. I'm not sure if they're still doing that or not.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
it's time...

...to play some PS3 games! lol

320405117r0.jpg

Zeliard

Anyone know what's up with Axii this time around? Every time I use it on a lower-level mob nothing happens. The entire spell goes off but then the enemy just keeps charging me after momentarily pausing. I've only tried it a few times, though.

Outside of conversations, that is, which is a lot of fun. I usually like going with "intimidate" options in RPGs but can't resist mind tricking fools this time, with Geralt doing his cool little hand motion.

DieH@rd said:
Buy the gods, the Flotsam forest @ rain looks glorious!

I was hanging out in the Flotsam town when it just started raining, and atmospherically it just looked and sounded amazing. There was an overcast and everything just went dark and gray in that way it often does when it's actually raining, but we don't see much in games. I remember thinking a Silent Hill with that sort of visual fidelity would be crazy to experience.

wilflare said:
has anyone figured how the targetting system works?
i press alt/LB but the target does not toggle. :/

led to a few deaths

The target system doesn't require any button, it doesn't toggle in a sticky way. Whatever your pointed at is the current target.

LB LOCKS the target so long as you hold it, meaning all attacks will go to that target if there are a lot of dudes around you/camera will stay on him.

Salaadin

sflufan said:
Because it's a big, technically sophisticated game.
GOG download was only 9 GBs.
Im not taking compression into account here. Come to think of it, I never did check the file size after I installed.

pahamrick

Didn't see if this was already posted, as I only skimmed back a few pages but for those that are interested the Polish VO is now up for download under the Downloadable content section of the launcher.

Its sad to hear all the problems. The GOG dowload was awesome 2mb/s. Preloaded it, came home yesterday and restarted my downloader and was playing the game in 30 minutes.

sflufan

Banned
Salaadin said:
GOG download was only 9 GBs.
Im not taking compression into account here. Come to think of it, I never did check the file size after I installed.

It's 16 gigs after you install, even from GOG.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ukas said:
If he's using a 460M then it's a laptop. I have the same in my Alienware M15X which also runs like crud when it really shouldn't. My desktop on the other hand runs great.

Edit: I know on my old M15X (Gen 1) the Nvidia drivers used to downclock the GPU. I had to install special drivers at one point to get the full speed out of the card. I'm not sure if they're still doing that or not.
Oh I know he's running on a laptop. All cards with M at the end are mobile video cards.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
A simple statement from the publisher as to when premium digital download users will be able to get the map, guide; etc. would be nice. I am disappointed I am not getting what I paid for in advance.

Van Buren

Zeliard said:
Anyone know what's up with Axii this time around? Every time I use it on a lower-level mob nothing happens. The entire spell goes off but then the enemy just keeps charging me after momentarily pausing. I've only tried it a few times, though.

I've been relying on it quite extensively on Hard to catch a few moments of respite. It takes about 2-3 seconds of the spell getting 'charged up' to mind control enemies.

Zeliard said:

Have to hold the sign button down; it takes a bit of time, but you'll see when it works.

Coldsnap

Man what are the button inputs on gamepad to put a enchantment on a piece of equipment? I've unequiped the thing on accident like 10x trying to get an enchantment on it then end up putting it on the wrong item....

3chopl0x said:
ALL STEAM 'HANDLES' IS ADDING A KEY TO A BOX.
It's exactly the same as every other version in regards to downloading DLC.

Chill out, dude. In several games on Steam I've played, the DLC is not automatically handled, they give you a popup, saying at some point the game is going to ask you for a code, and here it is. The Witcher does not do this and it does NOT add "a key to a box" when I go to register. I'm not an idiot and your solution obviously isn't helping my situation.

Sir Garbageman said:
1. Your CD Key will be auto populated in the launcher window when you go to register your game. You just have to first create an account at thewitcher.com

2. To download the day one DLC Troll Trouble, click on Downloadable Content and it should be available. Make sure you are running STEAM as an administrator, otherwise it won't show up in the list. There will be no code to input, just click the Download button on the bottom right hand side.

Thanks for the info! I tried creating the account on thewitcher.com, but whenever I pressed the Log In or Register buttons, the page just redirects/refreshes to "http://en.thewitcher.com/#" and never gives any options, in IE and Chrome.

Sounds like I'm just the exception if everyone else can get into it fine, but I'm at a loss. I'll try registering again from the launcher or checking the job postings board when I get home.

Van Buren

Coldsnap said:
Man what are the button inputs on gamepad to put a enchantment on a piece of equipment? I've unequiped the thing on accident like 10x trying to get an enchantment on it then end up putting it on the wrong item....

You will have to press A/X when the enhancement is being highlighted on the left side of the screen. Press left a few times so that you don't highlight the equip screen on the right.

That said, the menu management is certainly one area where the gamepad input method falls short. I have my mouse near for that very purpose.

Coldsnap

Van Buren said:
You will have to press A/X when the enhancement is being highlighted on the left side of the screen. Press left a few times so that you don't highlight the equip screen on the right.

That said, the menu management is certainly one area where the gamepad input method falls short. I have my mouse near for that very purpose.

ah yea, it's really un intuitive

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
DieH@rd said:
Buy the gods, the Flotsam forest @ rain looks glorious!

I absolutely love the weather effects so far (I'm still in Flotsam), but damn if it doesn't break the immersion when the game forgets that it is supposed to be raining after you enter another area. It's kind of ridiculous sometimes. Pouring down rain one moment, then you open the door leading outside of town and are immediately greeted with a clear sunny day.

I hope it's just a big that they can fix at some point.

Just a heads up, there is an important security fix for:

Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (KB2467173)

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified leading to MFC application vulnerability in DLL planting due to MFC not specifying the full path to system/localization DLLs. You can protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

That is the version TW2 installed, run windows update naow :p

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Reallink said:
What's the story on reviews? Did they not send NA outlets pre-release review code or is it just a sad reflection on the state of PC gaming? Every site and their grandmother pushed out L.A. Noir reviews at the midnight embargo lift, but here Witcher 2 is largely untouched a couple days in.

According to Rock, Paper, Shotgun at least, they didn't send out early review code to a lot of sites. In fact, there was apparently a significant day 1 patch that fixed a lot of stuff, so maybe they didn't want reviewers to play the game until then? I don't know.

Minsc

Gold Member
Zefah said:
I absolutely love the weather effects so far (I'm still in Flotsam), but damn if it doesn't break the immersion when the game forgets that it is supposed to be raining after you enter another area. It's kind of ridiculous sometimes. Pouring down rain one moment, then you open the door leading outside of town and are immediately greeted with a clear sunny day.

I hope it's just a big that they can fix at some point.

Sounds like it'd be something fairly simple. Oblivion mods were able to fix weather being changed by entering/leaving buildings, all they should really have to do is store the variable for weather and put a check in that doesn't allow weather to change until X amount of time has past.

Kyaw

Castor Krieg said:
Dwarf bookstore in non-human district in Floodsam

Polish voices not showing for me in the Launcher as well.

Ahhhhh, thought so. I was just going to go into conversation with the guy when i had to leave the game to go do something else.

Game is going so sweet. It pretty much lets you figure out everything. I love it!

zlatko

Banned
scorpscarx said:
Just a heads up, there is an important security fix for:

Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (KB2467173)

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified leading to MFC application vulnerability in DLL planting due to MFC not specifying the full path to system/localization DLLs. You can protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

That is what the W2 installed, run windows update naow :p

wait, what? W2 installed something bad for my computer? Da fuck ?

gillty

Banned
zlatko said:
No, hes claiming it installed an out of date version of a commonly used piece of microsoft software, if you already had something that used this its likely already up to date.

zlatko said:

No, just that version of the C++ redistributable is used by the Witcher 2 and it installs if you don't have it, and it needs a patch.

Check your installed programs, there is probably one for like 2005 and up :p

zonezeus

Metacritic's user score is hilarious - basically just 10s/9s and 0s. Trolling scores aside, how can you possibly give this game a 0?

Kyaw

Dacon said:
So how is the combat guys? I'm really interested in how much better it is than the original.

Its very hard. It is very different from the first game. You have to roll/block and abuse the signs A LOT more than the original. If you dont and you are surrounded by more than 3 enemies, you wont be able to land a hit and will be dead within minutes.

Deadly

Wow the crucial decisions are pretty well done.
Timed decision wether siding with Iorveth or helping Roche, wth am I suppose to do? Seems like my friend betrayed me we're getting attacked and this "ally" of mine asks for a sword.

Has anybody failed the scent of incense after completing it?
I refused to give the guy the ingredients, got ambushed by guys then the quest was "complete" but it failed after the fight with Letho

Also the jump between easy and normal is RIDICULOUS. I was getting my ass handed to me and restarted like 10 times against
Letho
and decided to switch to easy and all I had to do was button-mash.

Zeliard

Zefah said:

Hm, must be a bug. When it started raining for me I was just outside of town, re-entered and it was still pouring.

Weird, I seem to be getting decent performance in the game with my little GTX 260 and my Phenom quad core. Is there a part after the opening camp where the framerate dies down more? I only got to play for like 30 minutes yesterday.

Salaadin

abunai said:
Amazon still haven't delivered my copy :(

If it doesn't come tomorrow, I don't know what I'm gonna do..

Youre going to wait another day :p

Whats the estimated delivery? Didnt they do release date delivery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom