• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
VisanidethDM said:
Am I the only one that is somewhat amused that the most impressive PC exclusive in ages is basically a console game with insane graphics?

No, but I kinda decided to keep that realization to myself.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
VisanidethDM said:
Am I the only one that is somewhat amused that the most impressive PC exclusive in ages is basically a console game with insane graphics?

What is that supposed to mean?

Not everything on the PC needs to be some kind of insanely complex strategy game that requires you to use every key on the keyboard.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
VisanidethDM said:
What exactly defines a game as a console game or a PC game? By that logic, Crysis was a console game with insane graphics.

Zel3 said:
guys where can i find my dlc code?

>_>
Retail, GOG, or Steam?

abunai

Salaadin said:
Youre going to wait another day :p

Whats the estimated delivery? Didnt they do release date delivery?

Yeah, true. At least I have terraria to hold me over.
It said release date delivery, but no dice. Might complain if it doesn't show up tomorrow.

Zefah said:
What is that supposed to mean?

Not everything on the PC needs to be some kind of insanely complex strategy game that requires you to use every key on the keyboard.

I'm talking about structure, not really design. The distinction between console and PC games is for the most part an absolutely silly thing (there's superstreamlined games that are native on PC - cough Diablo cough - and there's terribly complex console games).

But in terms of presentation, controls, and more importantly interface... this is really designed in a console fashion. The way the info is streamed through the UI without pause or how un-layered the menus are is completely console territory.

Zel3

thetrin said:
What exactly defines a game as a console game or a PC game? By that logic, Crysis was a console game with insane graphics.

Retail, GOG, or Steam?
retail

i got a code from amazon for the swordsman suit but that doesnt work

:(

Salaadin

Zel3 said:
retail

Where are you going to redeem it?

Click DLC on the launcher and I think theres a spot to redeem on there. Thats not working?

thetrin said:

See the answer above. In terms of game design, the distinction is absolutely silly. But in terms of structure, controls and presentation, it really nods at the staples of console games.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Zel3 said:
retail

If it doesn't work, you need to contact Amazon. I got the suit codes as little sheets of paper in my CE, so I don't know how it works for the regular retail version.

VisanidethDM said:
See the answer above. In terms of game design, the distinction is absolutely silly. But in terms of structure, controls and presentation, it really nods at the staples of console games.
I can see where you're coming from, but when playing with a KBM, I don't feel like I'm playing a console game.

The reason is that it is almost assuredly a timed PC exclusive and they are using the PC adopters to phase out the bugs and improve optimization enough for it to run on consoles.

They have been saying that it is going to consoles forever.

In b4 omg Crytek and CDPR have abandoned us.

Dacon

Banned
Kyaw said:
Its very hard. It is very different from the first game. You have to roll/block and abuse the signs A LOT more than the original. If you dont and you are surrounded by more than 3 enemies, you wont be able to land a hit and will be dead within minutes.

Sounds fucking awesome.

I guess it's off to youtube

Zeliard

A game that could functionally be played on a gamepad that can now officially be played on a gamepad in its sequel doesn't magically become a "console game."

thetrin

scorpscarx said:
The reason is that it is almost assuredly a timed PC exclusive and they are using the PC adopters to phase out the bugs and improve optimization enough for it to run on consoles.

They have been saying that it is going to consoles forever.

In b4 omg Crytek and CDPR have abandoned us.
If Witcher 2 is evidence that CDPR is abandoning PC, they're doing a terrible job of it.

Zel3

Salaadin said:
Where are you going to redeem it?

Click DLC on the launcher and I think theres a spot to redeem on there. Thats not working?

it says invalid code

i think it's asking for one that came with the game first but i cant find it anywhere

VisanidethDM said:
I'm talking about structure, not really design. The distinction between console and PC games is for the most part an absolutely silly thing (there's superstreamlined games that are native on PC - cough Diablo cough - and there's terribly complex console games).

But in terms of presentation, controls, and more importantly interface... this is really designed in a console fashion. The way the info is streamed through the UI without pause or how un-layered the menus are is completely console territory.

I don't know...I usually view a console UI/design as making sacrifices. But this is just intelligent design, for the most part. And maybe that's a good thing, in this example--working on consoles forces you to streamline things.

PERHAPS CONSOLES HAVE A PURPOSE AFTER ALL

Zel3

thetrin said:
If it doesn't work, you need to contact Amazon. I got the suit codes as little sheets of paper in my CE, so I don't know how it works for the regular retail version.

I can see where you're coming from, but when playing with a KBM, I don't feel like I'm playing a console game.

did you get a leaflet for the troll dlc also? i don't have that either :\

Salaadin

Zel3 said:
it says invalid code

i think it's asking for one that came with the game first but i cant find it anywhere

You said retail, right?

Did you do the following:
-From the launcher, click "register game"
-Follow the menu options to create an account and register your copy with CDPR
-Back at the launcher, click Downloadable Content
-Enter your code and hit redeem

If you did all of that and still have issues, Im not sure. Maybe CDPR is having issues. Shoot them an email

Did this code come directly from amazon and not some ebay seller?

Links:
TW2 FAQ
http://www.en.thewitcher.com/support/faq/#t5

CDPR tech support
http://www.en.thewitcher.com/support/ (click Contact us)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
VisanidethDM said:

Hmm... I disagree. They wanted to design the game so it would work well with a controller and they did. It also works amazingly well (and better) with a mouse. If I had to navigate everything with my keyboard, I would agree with you, but since you can use the mouse to click on anything, and drag and drop stuff accordingly, it doesn't feel like a console interface at all. It's mostly intuitive, and honestly works better than first game's UI, in my opinion. I haven't seen anything in the game yet that appears to have been done in favor of working on a console at the cost of making it work smoothly on a PC.

Good modern interface design is not exclusive to consoles. Cinematic presentation is not exclusive to consoles.

Zeliard

Mr. Snrub said:
I don't know...I usually view a console UI/design as making sacrifices. But this is just intelligent design, for the most part. And maybe that's a good thing, in this example--working on consoles forces you to streamline things.

PERHAPS CONSOLES HAVE A PURPOSE AFTER ALL

People don't have to get cranky every time whatever PC game is going to consoles unless that game's design was compromised, which is pretty obviously not the case with TW2 (nor does it even pretend to hold your hand in learning the ropes, as people are finding out, though I imagine that would change in the console port).

Doom went to consoles. Doom went to everything, and is still going to things. PC version is still a classic, somehow.

Besides, not like there has been a scarcity of actual examples of dumbing down to call out in the past several years.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
In the end, the fucking awesomeness of a game is what's important and this game is filled to the brim with fucking awesomeness.

goddamn wish I could play it all day

DrBo42

Snuggler said:
In the end, the fucking awesomeness of a game is what's important and this game is filled to the brim with fucking awesomeness.

I can't even make it past the tutorial fight. Ahaha. I didn't play the first one so I have no idea what this combat system is trying to do. Can I not break an attack animation to block?

Salaadin

If The Witcher 1 is a PC game and The Witcher 2 is a console game, then Id rather play console games because everything about The Witcher 2 is an improvement over the first.

Zeliard

Snuggler said:

And what about the use of color in this game? Ho-ly shit.

When I first entered the inn in Flotsam my eyes said 'thank you'.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
DrBo42 said:
I can't even make it past the tutorial fight. Ahaha. I didn't play the first one so I have no idea what this combat system is trying to do. Can I not break an attack animation to block?

Playing the first one wouldn't have helped much.

hamchan

VisanidethDM said:

HarrisonFord.gif

VisanidethDM said:

Those things you mention are things I call being more user friendly and being less obscure.

Zeliard

mileS said:
still can't create an account on thewitcher.com to register my game and download the DLC... wth

Register through the launcher. It's quick and painless and you don't have to mess with the website at all.

Zel3

Castor Krieg said:
Troll Trouble DLC is a Day 1 DLC for everyone, you do not get any code for it.

Ok that makes me feel better, I was starting to think they forgot to include that in my copy.
Did this code come directly from amazon and not some ebay seller?

The email I received was from Amazon, honestly I don't care that much about the swordsman suit, just wish I could download the Troll DLC.

On the launcher it says Connection Error.. I'm going to assume the servers are having trouble with all the traffic, I'll try at a later time. Thanks for all the help.

Ok how are you supposed to get pass the cave with hundreds of nekkards? they 4 shot me and the only thing that does solid damage to them is my igni spell.

mileS

Zeliard said:
Register through the launcher. It's quick and painless and you don't have to mess with the website at all.

hmm they must still be having problems I'm getting errors trying to create an account and register through the launcher.

GhostRidah said:
Ok how are you supposed to get pass the cave with hundreds of nekkards? they 4 shot me and the only thing that does solid damage to them is my igni spell.
Quen sign. Pick them off one by one.
Run back to the entrance they wont follow.

thetrin

Zel3 said:
did you get a leaflet for the troll dlc also? i don't have that either :\
The Troll DLC should be in the DLC list already.

Just tried playing with the controller for a bit. It feels great, but I think I prefer using the KBM, especially since you don't have to hit the esc menu to access the journal or the inventory.

Also, it's a small thing, but I like the font and icons they use for keyboard and mouse buttons more than the Xbox button icons.

Zeliard

mileS said:
hmm they must still be having problems I'm getting errors trying to create an account and register through the launcher.

Yeah I'm getting that connection error in the launcher too, and my register game/downloadable content options are grayed out, so I guess they're just down right now.

Salaadin

GhostRidah said:

Quen to absorb damage and use the monster sword. Creep in little by little so the entire cave doesnt aggro at once. I also relied mostly on Aard and hoped for stuns.

Zel3 said:
On the launcher it says Connection Error.. I'm going to assume the servers are having trouble with all the traffic, I'll try at a later time. Thanks for all the help.

I was getting that yesterday. I tried a few hours later and it went fine.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
GhostRidah said:

What I did was create about 30 Samum bombs (I think you can buy the recipe somewhere in town or from that ex-scoia'tael elf guy) via Alchemy, which can be accessed when you meditate. Just try and keep the Quen sign up and chuck those at the Nekkers. The bombs do decent damage and tend to stun quite a few at once, so you can go in and do instant kills. Then, just clean them up with your sword when their numbers are down to three or less.

Zel3

thetrin said:
The Troll DLC should be in the DLC list already.

Just tried playing with the controller for a bit. It feels great, but I think I prefer using the KBM, especially since you don't have to hit the esc menu to access the journal or the inventory.

Its working! Connection errors made them not show up. :)

so happy. im off to play now. :)

nero2082

guys what's the impact of Witcher 1 save file? what does it change storywise?

I see I got Raven's jacket and Aerondight silver sword but is that all?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
blackmamba707 said:

There are some references to your actions in the first game, but that's about it, I think.

The Raven armor definitely seemed more badass in the first game (I'm in chapter 1 and I've already found comparable items), but I understand that they couldn't make it the best set of armor in the game if they let you have it from the beginning.

Arozay

Holy shit Chapter 1 was long, loved it.

Ch1 spoilers:
Playing through on normal, had a bit of trouble with both bosses. I didn't know how to avoid the rocks when finishing off the Kayran so I had to do the fight without taking any damage and just brute force the final run.

With Leto I was having trouble with him till stopped using spells/items on him and just used Quen so I could stay on him when he casted on me and ended up beating him without taking damage.

Also following the trails of blood at the end gave me the shits.

VisanidethDM said:
The spell wheel isn't that big of a deal. Menu's are probably the only thing that really suffers in that regard.

thetrin

Zel3 said:
Its working! Connection errors made them not show up. :)

so happy. im off to play now. :)

*cheer*

Have fun. The game is fantastic.

blackmamba707 said:

They said there's nothing storywise that you wouldn't have been able to see without a save file. They originally said there were 3 different beginnings, but back tracked on that in the last few months. Probably just changes some dialog. I'd imagine the mention of Adda by King Foltest would have been one of the first situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom